Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Try answering it now, especially given how you were quite happy to write him off now, so why not explain which of the 13 clubs above us it is disappointing to be lower than. I'd say it is one, two at most.

So we can’t judge him over 4 months and we can’t judge him at the end of the season. We can only judge him now? 

I haven’t once called for his sacking, not once. Yet.

I realise the cult have made their minds up, one even posted “legend” when he cried , but I’m waiting until the end of the season, if that’s ok with you. 

• Haha 1

I think duckie has a point. How many times do we have to make the same mistakes and not change anything? Football is a game of fine margins and it isn't as simple as being all about having the best squad at your disposal and we had a system that with very fit players enabled us to beat stronger sides. With less fit players that system has dramatically crumbled and has proven that it doesn't work. At One point Ralph recognised this and did something different (against Chelsea - letting them have the ball and stopping them from playing and we got a point). Unfortunately ever since he's gone back to the gung ho high energy stuff that clearly doesn't work if anyone is knackered.

Something needs to change - either Ralph needs to wake up or he needs to go.

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

So we can’t judge him over 4 months and we can’t judge him at the end of the season. 1) We can only judge him now? 
I realise the cult have made their minds up, one even posted “legend” when he cried , but 2) I’m waiting until the end of the season, if that’s ok with you. 

1) Who said that? Because I didn't.

2) No you aren't, you've written him off throughout this thread and others.

1 hour ago, egg said:

If Bale and Son came on when we were one up and changed the game you'd have a point, but they were already on the pitch. Ralph chose to make multiple position changes when Ings went off and we went to shit after that and lost. 

Bale was on the pitch when he scored their first goal. Their second was gifted to them.

Agreed, our shape fell apart after Ings went off.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

2) No you aren't, you've written him off throughout this thread and others.

Matthew, let's get back to spurs. Did Ralph's changes after Ings got injured help or hinder? Would just swapping out someone from the bench for Ings have been less disruptive to the team? Straight answers please. 

29 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

A question for those that want Hasenhuttl out...

Of the 13 teams above us, which should Hasenhuttl be disappointed not to be higher than?

23 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Let’s see where we finish first shall we? 

19 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Try answering it now,

8 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

1) you did.....

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Matthew, let's get back to spurs. Did Ralph's changes after Ings got injured help or hinder? Would just swapping out someone from the bench for Ings have been less disruptive to the team? Straight answers please. 

Losing the best player from your team is always going to make a difference. Ings is a long way above any alternative striker options we have.

Allegedy on £6m a year and the 8th highest paid manager in the league at the start of the season (although Lampard was below him and has been replaced by Tuchel who is probably on a higher wage). So anything much below 9th is probably not a great reflection on his value for money.

Finishing below 14th as he probably will most certainly isn't.

Edited by qwertyell
Spelling

Just now, qwertyell said:

Allegedy on £6m a year and the 8th highest paid manager in the league at the start of the season (although Lampard was below him as has been replaced by Tuchal who is probably on a higher wage). So anything much below 9th is probably not a great reflection on his value for money.

His wage isn't the only factor, you also need to consider budgets transfer & wage budget and squad quality.

48 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Losing the best player from your team is always going to make a difference. Ings is a long way above any alternative striker options we have.

Had he just changed a forward for an inferior forward your point would be valid.

If you think making 3 changes and disrupting us as a result of 1 injury was good game management we'll agree to differ. 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Bale wasn’t playing when Ralph produced the most tactically inept performances I’ve had the misfortune to witness. Other teams play against better players, they don’t get turned over by 9 and they don’t surrender without a fight. Their managers adapt their plans, set up properly and they and be hard to beat. Our bloke does the same thing week in week out. Have Wet Brom got better players, what about the 9 Newcastle players we lost to? 

Stop making excuses for Teflon Ralph. 

I must have missed the home defeat to WBA, and the home defeat to Newcastle.

1 hour ago, qwertyell said:

Allegedy on £6m a year and the 8th highest paid manager in the league at the start of the season (although Lampard was below him and has been replaced by Tuchel who is probably on a higher wage). So anything much below 9th is probably not a great reflection on his value for money.

Sorry, just to be clear, are you saying we have the 8th or 9th highest paid manager so we should finish no lower than 9th?

I thought I’d heard it all from Charlie, but you may have just scooped 1st prize.

Are you aware of the net spend table. We have a vastly inferior squad to most of the league, one that is proved by how much we spent. 

I’m not in the Ralph “cult”, that would just be “pony”, but he has got a better tune out of this team that could be expected.

You are a tough crowd...

• Like 4

There were clear signs that we were over-achieving before. It wasn't just "the system" that was responsible for our good form - we scored an unusual number of goals from outside the box (more than anyone else over the last couple of years, I think), Ings was on a ridiculous streak and JWP was sticking the ball on Vest's head from corners and into the back of the net from free kicks. 

All those things, with the possible exception of the goals from corners were likely to diminish rather than improve or remain constant. 

I agree with the point MLG is implying above - our squad is a bottom half squad with zero depth at full back and centre midfield. 

So, all in all, we are about par but the current run needs to be arrested. No goals in the last 25 minutes for 19 games is it? That's absolutely terrible. Ralph seems incapable of affecting a game positively, once it has kicked off.

Edited by benjii
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Sorry, just to be clear, are you saying we have the 8th or 9th highest paid manager so we should finish no lower than 9th?

I thought I’d heard it all from Charlie, but you may have just scooped 1st prize.

Are you aware of the net spend table. We have a vastly inferior squad to most of the league, one that is proved by how much we spent. 

I’m not in the Ralph “cult”, that would just be “pony”, but he has got a better tune out of this team that could be expected.

You are a tough crowd...

You don't think the highest paid manager in our history should be doing a little better than losing 9-0 twice, setting records for most consecutive defeats, and dragging the team to the bottom of the league in 2021 after a run of 12 defeats in 15?

He certainly has more than his fair share of white knights throwing up all manner of excuses for his limited tactical ability and dwindling performance that none of our previous less-vaunted managers were ever afforded.

Our "vastly inferior squad" got steamrollered by Championship-bound WBA last week - and lost to 9 man Newcastle a few weeks before that. And the manager's getting "a better tune out of this team than could be expected"?

9 hours ago, qwertyell said:

You don't think the highest paid manager in our history should be doing a little better than losing 9-0 twice, setting records for most consecutive defeats, and dragging the team to the bottom of the league in 2021 after a run of 12 defeats in 15?

He certainly has more than his fair share of white knights throwing up all manner of excuses for his limited tactical ability and dwindling performance that none of our previous less-vaunted managers were ever afforded.

Our "vastly inferior squad" got steamrollered by Championship-bound WBA last week - and lost to 9 man Newcastle a few weeks before that. And the manager's getting "a better tune out of this team than could be expected"?

But what you've just written wasnt at all what you said.

You stated our team should finish no lower than 9th as our manager is the ninth highest paid manager in the league.

That in isolation is crazy.

What you've now written has more substance, but clearly life, and football doesn't always work out in a logical manner.

Yes we lost to WBA and Newcastle. We also beat those two teams earlier in the season.

They way you describe football,we may aswell not kick a ball all season and just produce a league table based in some weird metrics made up in your head, where the final league positions are based on how much the manager earns 😂

On 23/04/2021 at 23:16, egg said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather Gao's mum took charge than Allardyce or Hodgson, but I'm not sure how or when anyone thinks Ralph can suddenly turn this around.

He's a one trick pony, and his trick no longer takes teams by surprise. For me, he's taken us as far as he can. 

For me you have to ask the question is Ralph capable of admitting the high press tactic isn't possible to sustain at saints & only possible at top top clubs that persisting with it was a bad idea? can he come to the table with fresh plans and a clean slate (& fresh players) or is he going to keep rolling the same dice? Can he show tactical nous and awareness around substitutes or is he going to keep persisting with his favourites often when it's too late? If he can't or isn't willing to do this then next season is certain to continue the apalling form we are in & where do we go from there? 

13 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

You are a tough crowd...

And there's the rub. We have the same players as we did when Ralph was getting a tune out of the players. Thus, the lack of spending is irrelevant to our recent form. 

The team consisting of those players is now massively out of tune and Ralph hasn't been able to fix that, and doesn't look like he can. 

Not sure I'm feeling the new alter ego by the way. Slightly less abrasive, for now at least, than the old one though. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

And there's the rub. We have the same players as we did when Ralph was getting a tune out of the players. Thus, the lack of spending is irrelevant to our recent form. 

The team consisting of those players is now massively out of tune and Ralph hasn't been able to fix that, and doesn't look like he can. 

Not sure I'm feeling the new alter ego by the way. Slightly less abrasive, for now at least, than the old one though. 

The spending is slightly relevant, if Ralph got them initially punching above their weight, that isn’t sustainable over the long term.

And wtf is it with the paranoia on this forum with previous members?

I posted since 2011 on Not606, and started recently here - what is the problem with that?

9 hours ago, gordonToo said:

Not sure if this link has been posted before, but it paints a picture of a manager somewhat at odds with his team. 

http://www.prostinternational.com/2021/04/13/an-evening-spent-listening-to-ralph-hasenhuttl/

Always rate these prost articles cheers

Reading that back makes me understand his frustration with the team and made me relieve mine.

Edited by Convict Colony

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

The spending is slightly relevant, if Ralph got them initially punching above their weight, that isn’t sustainable over the long term.

I posted since 2011 on Not606, and started recently here - what is the problem with that?

A few posters were banned but then try to sneak back on with new names. 

3 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Paranoia, behave!! It appears to me that you're an existing member posting under a different name and you are, it's not a drama. If you really are new, welcome. 

On subject. You're essentially saying that the players need to be changed because Ralph' management and coaching of them means that he is is  now getting poor results out of the very same players. How that becomes a player issue rather than a Ralph issue I can't fathom, and pointing to you're preferred evidence of the net spend table doesn't make your argument any better. 

15 minutes ago, egg said:

Paranoia, behave!! It appears to me that you're an existing member posting under a different name and you are, it's not a drama. If you really are new, welcome. 

On subject. You're essentially saying that the players need to be changed because Ralph' management and coaching of them means that he is is  now getting poor results out of the very same players. How that becomes a player issue rather than a Ralph issue I can't fathom, and pointing to you're preferred evidence of the net spend table doesn't make your argument any better. 

Ok, defo new. I used to read on here occasionally and posted a lot on the other place. I got fed up of threads going way off topic, about cheese puns and the Politics thread should just have been banned due to the arguments it caused. It tipped it too much for me, and now ive engaged here a little more, the debates are pretty interesting.

I’m not so much saying Ralphs coaching getting worse results from the same players. I’m saying the players have consistently performed pretty shit for many years, because they aren’t great players. I thought Ralph got the players over performing during 2020, but you can’t keep those levels of playing at that level with players consistently playing above their levels - they are not machines, and they have reverted to form.

I also think Ralph does need to shoulder a large slice of the blame, as at times he has got things wrong and made strange decisions - which points to stubbornness. 

If you want evidence - look at Liverpool - even they couldn’t sustain those levels forever - players go out of form, things can go stale as they have for them.

Not sure what you mean about the net spend - it proves we sell our better players and have cheaper, less good players in return.

As I said many times on here, I’m all for keeping Ralph in his job right now, but I’m moving the other way quicker each week on him. If we remain winless until the end of the season, i think I would find it hard to say why he should stay. I also think it all depends on how much the club know we are doing in the summer - if it is largely keeping what we have - he either needs to work out how to get a tune out of this lot or he needs to leave. If they back him and we have a good summer window, I will be happy to see what happens over the first 2 months next season.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, benjii said:

There were clear signs that we were over-achieving before. It wasn't just "the system" that was responsible for our good form - we scored an unusual number of goals from outside the box (more than anyone else over the last couple of years, I think), Ings was on a ridiculous streak and JWP was sticking the ball on Vest's head from corners and into the back of the net from free kicks. 

All those things, with the possible exception of the goals from corners were likely to diminish rather than improve or remain constant. 

I agree with the point MLG is implying above - our squad is a bottom half squad with zero depth at full back and centre midfield. 

So, all in all, we are about par but the current run needs to be arrested. No goals in the last 25 minutes for 19 games is it? That's absolutely terrible. Ralph seems incapable of affecting a game positively, once it has kicked off.

Yes we were overachieving for the first 10 - 15 games this season, but regardless of how bad our squad is, a run of 7 points in 15/16 games is beyond pathetic and To be honest, I am amazed the manager seemingly has 100% backing with no pressure. 

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

For me you have to ask the question is Ralph capable of admitting the high press tactic isn't possible to sustain at saints & only possible at top top clubs that persisting with it was a bad idea? can he come to the table with fresh plans and a clean slate (& fresh players) or is he going to keep rolling the same dice? Can he show tactical nous and awareness around substitutes or is he going to keep persisting with his favourites often when it's too late? If he can't or isn't willing to do this then next season is certain to continue the apalling form we are in & where do we go from there? 

I thought this season we have slightly dropped the high press for a more possession based approach. We still set traps, but there is a definite difference of how we play, and perhaps it hasn’t transitioned well enough on the pitch.

3 minutes ago, SKD said:

Yes we were overachieving for the first 10 - 15 games this season, but regardless of how bad our squad is, a run of 7 points in 15/16 games is beyond pathetic and To be honest, I am amazed the manager seemingly has 100% backing with no pressure. 

Well, we also dont know there is no pressure. The club, and Semmens in particular are not stupid. I imagine there is pressure, but maybe they are taking a longer term view to see what happens early next season. I dont believe if we lose for example our first 5 games or similar, he may be asked to leave. 

For all we know, it may be we are getting taken over, and part of the deal is to keep Ralph, or to let him go but the settlement coming out of the account prior, loads of scenarios.

I agree the run of points is truly abysmal - and whilst I want him to stay for now, a shit show on a Friday night at home to Leicester could be the final straw - does anyone know if it is due to rain on Fri?

Maybe they have someone lined up and want that fixture out the way first?

I certainly feel he appears like he is under more pressure just now.

2 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

But what you've just written wasnt at all what you said.

You stated our team should finish no lower than 9th as our manager is the ninth highest paid manager in the league.

I mean, there is a quote function so you can highlight exactly what I "stated" rather than your own misrepresentation.

For the record, I was chiming in a conversation around the hypothetical question "Of the 13 teams above us, which should Hasenhuttl be disappointed not to be higher than?"

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, qwertyell said:

This is what you said. The below is my reply:

14 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

You are a tough crowd...

So, no i am not misinterpreting your posts @qwertyell - i responded to something you wrote, no one else!

Using the reasoning that he 'got the best out of this squad before' as a reason to now dump him seems an odd thing to say. Surely that alone is a reason to keep him, as he's the only manager out of the last 3 who has managed to get anything out of this lot?

Ultimately he's proven with a fully fit squad, no injuries, peak fitness etc he's able to overachieve with this squad of players he has at his disposal.

The depth in the squad has been shown up massively this year, December onwards, which is unsurprisngly when our form went through the floor. We are also probably as much of a one-man-team as Villa with Grealish or Newcastle with Alain Saint-Maximin. Missing Ings for large parts is the difference between us having a good season and having a poor season. We have no one else who can score goals on a consistent basis, it really is that simple.

One of the main things you can throw at Ralph is this approach - is it a bit stupid going all out with gengenpress with a squad as weak us ours, or would it have been more sensible to be conservative? But if we're honest with Ralph you probably only get that way and the club would have known that when they appointed him. They either back him or stop hanging him out to dry with this bunch.

The squad and quality of player we have is not good enough to sustain a top half finish in this league over an entire season, end of.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Using the reasoning that he 'got the best out of this squad before' as a reason to now dump him seems an odd thing to say. Surely that alone is a reason to keep him, as he's the only manager out of the last 3 who has managed to get anything out of this lot?

Ultimately he's proven with a fully fit squad, no injuries, peak fitness etc he's able to overachieve with this squad of players he has at his disposal.

The depth in the squad has been shown up massively this year, December onwards, which is unsurprisngly when our form went through the floor. We are also probably as much of a one-man-team as Villa with Grealish or Newcastle with Alain Saint-Maximin. Missing Ings for large parts is the difference between us having a good season and having a poor season. We have no one else who can score goals on a consistent basis, it really is that simple.

One of the main things you can throw at Ralph is this approach - is it a bit stupid going all out with gengenpress with a squad as weak us ours, or would it have been more sensible to be conservative? But if we're honest with Ralph you probably only get that way and the club would have known that when they appointed him. They either back him or stop hanging him out to dry with this bunch.

The squad and quality of player we have is not good enough to sustain a top half finish in this league over an entire season, end of.

Totally agree, he got them playing well for a sustained period, and he players were performing above their levels. Makes no sense to me to say he must go.

Lower level players cant consistently perform above their level over such a long period. 

Now I would add that Ralph does need to stop the rot, and pretty quick, or this could be terminal.

• Like 1

Just now, Billy the Kidd said:

Totally agree, he got them playing well for a sustained period, and he players were performing above their levels. Makes no sense to me to say he must go.

Lower level players cant consistently perform above their level over such a long period. 

Now I would add that Ralph does need to stop the rot, and pretty quick, or this could be terminal.

Agreed, need to stop the rot. The thing with Ralph is that it's all about extremes, there's no middle ground. We either play really well and stack up the points and wins as per the start of the season, or we just lose every week. I want to see him capable of getting the odd 1-0 or 0-0's during the bad periods, i.e. just shut up shop and get a result on the board when we're not in a good place. I doubt it would make much difference in terms of our finishing position though over the course of a season though.

In my opinion a new manager probably wouldn't have got this group overachieving as well as they did at the start, so whilst we'd have not had the extreme highs and lows under a different manager, we'd probably still be sat around the same points/position in the table. 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Agreed, need to stop the rot. The thing with Ralph is that it's all about extremes, there's no middle ground. We either play really well and stack up the points and wins as per the start of the season, or we just lose every week. I want to see him capable of getting the odd 1-0 or 0-0's during the bad periods, i.e. just shut up shop and get a result on the board when we're not in a good place. I doubt it would make much difference in terms of our finishing position though over the course of a season though.

In my opinion a new manager probably wouldn't have got this group overachieving as well as they did at the start, so whilst we'd have not had the extreme highs and lows under a different manager, we'd probably still be sat around the same points/position in the table. 

Yeah, the grinding out stuff is the main piece that is missing for me. I think him making us hard to beat is the next step.

I quite like the way ralph can grow with us as a team, I like the approach, and let's not kid ourselves we are a City or Real. We've been luck with Poch and Koeman, and I think Ralph can and will do far better, starting next season.

Interesting Q for you, how long would you give Ralph nezt season.

Say for example, how many points would you want to see after 10 games?

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That's like saying that a man who once made his wife cum 3 times a day shouldn't be surprised that he gets dumped when he can't get it up anymore. 

Ralph has the same players at his disposal (plus Minamino) as he did when we were doing brilliantly. The only person who's to blame for them not performing as they once did is Ralph. The only person responsible for shit in game management and inability to alter tactics to our advantage is Ralph. 

He's become an impotent manager. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Yeah, the grinding out stuff is the main piece that is missing for me. I think him making us hard to beat is the next step.

I quite like the way ralph can grow with us as a team, I like the approach, and let's not kid ourselves we are a City or Real. We've been luck with Poch and Koeman, and I think Ralph can and will do far better, starting next season.

Interesting Q for you, how long would you give Ralph nezt season.

Say for example, how many points would you want to see after 10 games?

I'd personally expect to see around 15 points after the first 10 games, but huge caveat around that is either a fit ings or a proper ings replacement.

If we strengthen the squad well enough, maybe we could sustain that sort of form over a season and we could end up around the 50 point mark.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd personally expect to see around 15 points after the first 10 games, but huge caveat around that is either a fit ings or a proper ings replacement.

If we strengthen the squad well enough, maybe we could sustain that sort of form over a season and we could end up around the 50 point mark.

Yep, i was 15-16 points. I think much less than 10 and he may well go, particularly if a. Our shit form carries on until the end of this season, and b. He is backed in the summer window.

Yep, i was 15-16 points. I think much less than 10 and he may well go, particularly if a. Our shit form carries on until the end of this season, and b. He is backed in the summer window.

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

If we sell everyone and don't replace well enough it'll be hard to throw that at Ralph, but he'd certainly be the sacrificial lamb at that point I'd have thought.

If we sell everyone and don't replace well enough it'll be hard to throw that at Ralph, but he'd certainly be the sacrificial lamb at that point I'd have thought.

Well, i hope we are moving on:

Redmond

Djeneppo

Dont renew:

Bertrand

Mybe Theo - I’m not decided on him yet, but expect him to stay on a free

Minamino

Think we will move on:

JWP

Ings

Jannick

People seem to be forgetting the god awful spell we had at the start of last season, before a couple of scrappy wins against Watford & Norwich. He’s had 2 pretty horrendous spells with a great run in the middle. The great run coincided with lockdown and teams coming to terms with no supporters & bubbles etc. Can the cult not contemplate that the good run was the blip, and the 2 shitty periods the norm. Maybe the great run was a one off, why do people think that run will be repeated. Sport it littered with people or teams that do well for a spell, but then go back to their natural level, Ralph maybe one of them. 

One criticism I had of Poch at our club is we rarely ground out wins we didn’t deserve. We had to play well to win (and we did frequently), however when we were off, we lost. Ralph seems to be the same. I can’t recall too many games we’ve won where the opposition wonder how they lost. When we win, the opposing manager generally says they lost to a better team on the day, and the pundits generally say we deserve it. We never pinch games. A continuation of that will cost us in the long run, because non top top players are incapable of playing at the top of their game week in week out. For a club like ours having a manger that can grind out results when we don’t deserve them, is crucial. The main part of this is being defensively sound and having a structure that makes us hard to play against. Ralph seems incapable of doing this and that’s why his future should be in doubt. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

People seem to be forgetting the god awful spell we had at the start of last season, before a couple of scrappy wins against Watford & Norwich. He’s had 2 pretty horrendous spells with a great run in the middle. The great run coincided with lockdown and teams coming to terms with no supporters & bubbles etc. Can the cult not contemplate that the good run was the blip, and the 2 shitty periods the norm. Maybe the great run was a one off, why do people think that run will be repeated. Sport it littered with people or teams that do well for a spell, but then go back to their natural level, Ralph maybe one of them. 

A calendar year is not simply a 'blip'.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Well, i hope we are moving on:

Redmond

Djeneppo

Dont renew:

Bertrand

Mybe Theo - I’m not decided on him yet, but expect him to stay on a free

Minamino

Think we will move on:

JWP

Ings

Jannick

I doubt we will move on that many first teamers in one go, plus who would have them...

I do consider myself a bit of an idealist so fully expect many to disagree but my view is one of faith in what Saints under Ralph could be. We've seen glimpses, we know it's there and could be possible. At points under Ralph we've gone toe to toe with the best playing a distinct style and some of the best football I've seen from us since Poch. We were going into games each week actually believing we could pick up results.

Ralph has plenty of flaws and his stubbornness can frustrate but I can envision a scenario where we are better than the sum of our parts and punch above our weight rather than just hoping we get to the run in without relegation snapping at our heels. Much the same with Poch he gives genuine hope. While lots of circumstances have conspired against him/us even those of us who back him can acknowledge a more pragmatic manager may have done better in spells. 

We will never be able to compete on a level playing field with a significant number of clubs in the league in terms of spending power so we need to gain an advantage in other ways. The club are trying this with a long term approach based on buying in to Ralph's philosophy and it being embedded throughout the club. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl