Oriol Romeu

Charlie Wayman

Once again he shows us why he so invaluable and indispensible to our club and why Ralph loves him. The way he has been messed about in and out of the team under various managers, most players would just want away but Oriol rarely displays any signs of dissent or unhappiness with his lot, works ever harder so that he is ready when he is called, always has a smile on his face and his sheer professionalism must be an inspiration to all the young players.

Of course he makes errors but who doesn't and of course he can at times be a car crash waiting to happen when his enthusiasm gets the better of him but on a day like yesterday when there was nowhere to hide and the chips were down the guy played a blinder and turned in a near word class performance. Perhaps if a few clubs were queuing up for his signature a few more of the naysayers on her might fully appreciate his worth.

He's certainly a reliable member of the team, and was pretty epic last night.

But for me - he's one of the players we genuinely need to improve upon if we want to go further than we are. He lacks the mobility and speed to get around the pitch with this high press style, he's a great option to have around the place but I'd like to see us trying to improve on him if we can. 

It's up to him if he fancies being a member of the squad, but he may move on this summer IMO.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Once again he shows us why he so invaluable and indispensible to our club and why Ralph loves him. The way he has been messed about in and out of the team under various managers, most players would just want away but Oriol rarely displays any signs of dissent or unhappiness with his lot, works ever harder so that he is ready when he is called, always has a smile on his face and his sheer professionalism must be an inspiration to all the young players.

Of course he makes errors but who doesn't and of course he can at times be a car crash waiting to happen when his enthusiasm gets the better of him but on a day like yesterday when there was nowhere to hide and the chips were down the guy played a blinder and turned in a near word class performance. Perhaps if a few clubs were queuing up for his signature a few more of the naysayers on her might fully appreciate his worth.

I like him, always have. It must be difficult for him making odd appearances here and there. I don't have any strong opinions regarding Hojbjerg , but the whole midfield seems to function better without him.

14 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Well said.   He has been massively underrated in recent times and the folly of thinking Romeu is unsuited to Ralphs system has been highlighted by his performances v Watford and M. City.

36 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ralph loves him

Does he, really?

Romeu has been criminally underused by our recent managers, who seem to prefer rare flashes of brilliance over at times uninspiring but consistent performances.

He's a few years of good performances in him yet, and if a good Spanish side wanted him and would offer regular 1st team starts if I was him I'd be off.

Edited by Fatboy40

Think Romeu is a far better foil for JWP in midfield bit like Wanyama and Schniederlin where Victor was the blunt instrument and Morgan the surgeon. Romeu is the iron fist in Prowseys velvet glove.  

Romeu always seems to look to play forward much more than PEH.

Intlelligent person.   Loyal to the club.  Comitted in his game.  Seriously under-used in favour of others who appear to be no better. Accepts place on bench without complaint. Continuously strives to improve. Great ambassador for the club.

Above describes both Yoshida (sadly now gone) and Romeu. Guess every club needs platyer like that who accepts his place in the squad and can slot in effectively when required. Really hope his contract is renewed and he's happy to stay.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wurzel said:

Intlelligent person.   Loyal to the club.  Comitted in his game.  Seriously under-used in favour of others who appear to be no better. Accepts place on bench without complaint. Continuously strives to improve. Great ambassador for the club.

Above describes both Yoshida (sadly now gone) and Romeu. Guess every club needs platyer like that who accepts his place in the squad and can slot in effectively when required. Really hope his contract is renewed and he's happy to stay.

Agree with you there Wurzel. Romeu is a class act and a popular member of the squad. Hopefully we can tie him down to a new contract :)

He is guilty more than most of the no1 sin of passing backwards when there is a straight forward forward pass on. There were a couple of times when we had won the ball high up, a chance of an overload and the ball went backwards only to be hoofed out of play by McCarthy when City pressed. I don't understand why we work so hard to get the ball back only to go back to "Puel Ball", safety first, boring football. (sometimes you have to go back to go forward - but you can tell when players can't be arsed)

1 hour ago, Chickendippers said:

He is guilty more than most of the no1 sin of passing backwards when there is a straight forward forward pass on. There were a couple of times when we had won the ball high up, a chance of an overload and the ball went backwards only to be hoofed out of play by McCarthy when City pressed. I don't understand why we work so hard to get the ball back only to go back to "Puel Ball", safety first, boring football. (sometimes you have to go back to go forward - but you can tell when players can't be arsed)

Not as guilty as Hojbjerg!

• 8 months later...
31 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Badly missed him today.  Got a feeling we will miss him for the run-in, too.

We're very lightweight through the middle without him, aren't we. I can't remember Diallo or JWP making any tackles. Both good on the ball they may be, but they're not very aggressive. A couple of nice guys.

Edited by S-Clarke

• 1 month later...

How many indivudual players have we 'badly missed' this season? Currently its Romeu, previously I can remember KWP, Ings, Armstrong and Vestergaard all being badly missed at some point due to injury. Personally I think we're just making excuses for the team not being good enough. We've been poor more times than enough with all the above players available. It was almost laughable when KWP was injured that some believed our 4222 system couldnt work without him. A whole formation falls apart because a right back is missing? Other teams seem able to adapt to missing certain players, but not us. And we continue to find excuses for them at will

11 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

How many indivudual players have we 'badly missed' this season? Currently its Romeu, previously I can remember KWP, Ings, Armstrong and Vestergaard all being badly missed at some point due to injury. Personally I think we're just making excuses for the team not being good enough. We've been poor more times than enough with all the above players available. It was almost laughable when KWP was injured that some believed our 4222 system couldnt work without him. A whole formation falls apart because a right back is missing? Other teams seem able to adapt to missing certain players, but not us. And we continue to find excuses for them at will

But these players are a huge miss for us and our system is reliant on everyone being at the top of their game for it to be a success. 

Without KWP, we had to play a CB at RB, we had absolutely no width and Bertrand wasn’t offering any the other side because his legs have gone. 

Without Romeu, the 2 in midfield are far too lightweight and easy to bypass. 

This is the biggest fault of Ralph. He’s sticking to his system regardless of the fact we are missing key players for it. 

11 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

The point is that we don't have adequate, or even any, backups for these players. The difference in quality between these players and any backup is huge, or there is no backup (KWP). These players are huge misses, its not an excuse, it is because the squad has been so badly constructed, and we do not have decent backup. 

40 minutes ago, SKD said:

But these players are a huge miss for us and our system is reliant on everyone being at the top of their game for it to be a success. 

Without KWP, we had to play a CB at RB, we had absolutely no width and Bertrand wasn’t offering any the other side because his legs have gone. 

Without Romeu, the 2 in midfield are far too lightweight and easy to bypass. 

This is the biggest fault of Ralph. He’s sticking to his system regardless of the fact we are missing key players for it. 

Maybe there isn't a working system with the depth we have at our disposal. There is a reason the last two managers with these lads almost got relegated. 

He's certainly been a miss as he was having a great season but I personally don't think Diallo has done too bad as his replacement. In games where he's partnered JWP in the middle we've won 3, drawn 1 and lost 4 which isn't too bad of a return. Jankewitz is still a bit of an unknown quantity at the moment as well as he screwed up his first major opportunity after a couple of minutes and hasn't been given another chance yet (though i'm hopeful he does get another chance in future).

The real weakness is our fullback cover - especially on the left side with KWP. When he's not played we've only managed a single point in 8 games compared to the 35 points in the 24 he has played. We've actually tried 6 other players there this season - Valery, JWP, Ramsay, Stephens, Bednarek and Bertrand with Bednarek being the only 1 given more than a single game at RB (3 games).

Valery may not have impressed Ralph much in his time here but he had played 34 league games over the previous 2 seasons and so has some Prem experience so to let him go in January and not get a replacement in has turned out to be one of our biggest mistakes I think.

Edited by Diabolus Ex Machina
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, TWar said:

Maybe there isn't a working system with the depth we have at our disposal. There is a reason the last two managers with these lads almost got relegated. 

Yes, that’s because Pellegrino and Mark Hughes are awful managers and hardly have a track record to suggest they’re anywhere near the level required. But even those 2 didn’t manage a run of 16 games as bad as this.... 

The system and players were pretty good for 2020, as you like to point out.

Edited by SKD

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Yes, that’s because Pellegrino and Mark Hughes are awful managers and hardly have a track record to suggest they’re anywhere near the level required. But even those 2 didn’t manage a run of 16 games as bad as this.... 

The system and players were pretty good for 2020, as you like to point out.

I think we were very lucky with fitness throughout 2020 and have since been very unlucky. 

Some players can be more easily replaced than other in our squad, and when one of those players we cannot replicate the role of is out, we struggle. Romeu is definitely one of those players, he has been here a while now and I think we need to seriously look at having cover and/or replacement lined up, because it is vital to have an effective defensive midfielder to make other part of our strategy work.