Pre-season 2020

jawillwill

Anyone know what the plans are likely to be?

With less than 7 weeks until the start of the season, there's not much time to rest and I doubt there'll be time for more than 2 or 3 friendlies. I'm assuming that there probably won't be any grand tours around the world, but you never know...

Based on absolutely nothing  I'm predicting friendlies v's Brisol City, Norwich and Forest.

5 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

I'm assuming that there probably won't be any grand tours around the world, but you never know...

Hasenhuttl answered that in the post match press conference. I have made the video start slightly before that question is asked...

Edited by Matthew Le God

3 hours ago, jawillwill said:

With less than 7 weeks until the start of the season, there's not much time to rest and I doubt there'll be time for more than 2 or 3 friendlies. I'm assuming that there probably won't be any grand tours around the world, but you never know...

Based on absolutely nothing  I'm predicting friendlies v's Brisol City, Norwich and Forest.

If we're staying in the UK I imagine we would be a bit more geographically logical.

ie aways at Colchester/Ipswich, Burton/Stoke, Mansfield/Forest, Bristol Rovers/City, Wycombe/Reading that kind of thing. One hotel for both games.

Obviously a match at home could be anyone. 

Edited by CB Fry

No foreign tours for the big boys - that's a few quid that will be missing from their coffers for the usual pre-season nonsense tournaments not going ahead.

As all pre-season friendlies will be behind closed doors, will the club even announce them much in advance?

I expect a very different preseason this year. I assume testing / the bubble will resume once preseason starts. I think the days of playing amateur /semi pro clubs are long gone and we will play only professional teams that we can trust are following the protocol etc.  Furthermore I think this will have a knock on effect with our youth players who will have to be selected before preseason and kept in the bubble. In previous years we have fielded U23 sides and mix match squads usually playing a day apart from each other - I dont think this will be possible anymore and will have to be strict on who's in the senior squad for preseason. Logistically its a head spinner and I am sure there are a million different criteria that we are unaware of.

17 hours ago, CB Fry said:

If we're staying in the UK I imagine we would be a bit more geographically logical.

ie aways at Colchester/Ipswich, Burton/Stoke, Mansfield/Forest, Bristol Rovers/City, Wycombe/Reading that kind of thing. One hotel for both games.

Obviously a match at home could be anyone. 

Friendlies v Pompey, Bournemouth and Eastleigh to keep it local?

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

Friendlies v Pompey, Bournemouth and Eastleigh to keep it local?

As it would be behind closed doors is actually quite logical.....but football fans not known for respecting logic.

Would be nice to see Westwood and friends attempt to pile up the Pompey pallet wagon high enough to see inside St Mary's.

• Haha 2

On 28/07/2020 at 18:04, SNSUN said:

No foreign tours for the big boys - that's a few quid that will be missing from their coffers for the usual pre-season nonsense tournaments not going ahead.

As all pre-season friendlies will be behind closed doors, will the club even announce them much in advance?

I'd think they'd still let us know as they'd probably stream the games on their Facebook and YouTube page. 

I'm kind of hoping the players buy in and we just work straight through, we got a head start on everyone else after the lockdown due to our fitness and we could do the same now if we keep training, keep playing and keep this momentum going. 

3 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd think they'd still let us know as they'd probably stream the games on their Facebook and YouTube page. 

I'm kind of hoping the players buy in and we just work straight through, we got a head start on everyone else after the lockdown due to our fitness and we could do the same now if we keep training, keep playing and keep this momentum going. 

My understanding from Ralphs last post match interview was that they had 2 weeks off and then they would be back for the 4.5 weeks before the first game during the weekend of September 12th.

I presume that we will replicate what we did last time on the build up to the restart as it worked so well before. Did we have a behind closed door friendly(s)?

I seem to remember that Ralph mentioned at some point before the restart that he had contacted people in the Bundesliga and analysed what had worked or not for the teams in that league for their restart, as they were a month ahead ours.

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/07/2020 at 11:30, CB Fry said:

As it would be behind closed doors is actually quite logical.....but football fans not known for respecting logic.

Would be nice to see Westwood and friends attempt to pile up the Pompey pallet wagon high enough to see inside St Mary's.

I wouldn’t put it last them to break into one of those flats in St Mary’s, although knowing them they’d pick one facing west.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, jawillwill said:

4 weeks to go until the season starts. Any news on likely friendlies yet?

I'd be happy if we did whatever we did before the restart. We came back fit, fresh and firing on all cylinders. I'll settle for more of that, no micky mouse friendlies. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

I'd be happy if we did whatever we did before the restart. We came back fit, fresh and firing on all cylinders. I'll settle for more of that, no micky mouse friendlies. 

Saints played Bristol City in a friendly in preparation for the restart. Does that count as Mickey Mouse?

Edited by Matthew Le God

20 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Saints played Bristol City in a friendly in preparation for the restart. Does that count as Mickey Mouse?

Read the words Matty boy...whatever we did - repeat. Token friendlies for publicity and a kick about = micky mouse friendlies. 

4 hours ago, VectisSaint said:

Given they will be behind closed doors, I wouldn't expect any big announcements, just some low key friendlies that we might find out about after the event. 

Yeah, I was thinking this would be the case, especially to stop people attempting to travel to one of the fixtures, but it seems like Everton, Tottenham and West Ham have announced their opponents, location and times as normal. https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/12049208/premier-league-pre-season-friendlies-fixtures-results-dates-2020-21

As expected, all against Football League opposition.