Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

Went to the match tonight, certainly not a 0-3 game,  not a lot between  the side but no one really stood out in my opinion, Ballard made some good runs but struggled to get much of the ball. 

Overall worth going along , free with a season ticket,  quite a big crowd in just a shame to see local Liverpool fans and one very odd fella singing you'll never walk alone behind the goal in the rain

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ballard PL2 Player of the Month. Well done Dominic!

I hope he doesn't get fancy ideas or 'spotted' by a big club whilst out on loan and we end up in a similar situation to the Tella saga and lose him.

Loaning players out can cut both ways but if you tell a young player it's good for his development to spend a year playing lower league football elsewhere isn't the player bound to feel he is being discarded? These are young and very impressionable lads after all and full of emotional highs and lows at that age.

We certainly cocked up the Tella situation so I hope this isn't a case of pressing Repeat?

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Ballard PL2 Player of the Month. Well done Dominic!

I hope he doesn't get fancy ideas or 'spotted' by a big club whilst out on loan and we end up in a similar situation to the Tella saga and lose him.

Loaning players out can cut both ways but if you tell a young player it's good for his development to spend a year playing lower league football elsewhere isn't the player bound to feel he is being discarded? These are young and very impressionable lads after all and full of emotional highs and lows at that age.

We certainly cocked up the Tella situation so I hope this isn't a case of pressing Repeat?

How did we cock up the Tella situation exactly? We made a £22m profit on someone we added to our academy for a nominal fee (or free, can't remember).

He did well enough to be scouted by a European team in a top division, it was a great opportunity for him and a great unexpected profit for us - which may have helped us break even and enabled us to keep hold of Adams and KWP, we'll never know - but I think it's disingenuous to say we cocked up the Tella situation, I'd say we got a pretty good result out of it.

• Like 5

20 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

How did we cock up the Tella situation exactly? We made a £22m profit on someone we added to our academy for a nominal fee (or free, can't remember).

He did well enough to be scouted by a European team in a top division, it was a great opportunity for him and a great unexpected profit for us - which may have helped us break even and enabled us to keep hold of Adams and KWP, we'll never know - but I think it's disingenuous to say we cocked up the Tella situation, I'd say we got a pretty good result out of it.

I was talking about his value to Saints as a footballer not as an anonymous asset itemised on the balance sheet. Surely that much was blindingly obvious.

We sent the player out on loan to improve him as a footballer with the intention of bringing him back to play football for Saints. He became a very good footballer. When he returned he didn't want to play for Saints again.

How is that not a huge cock-up and a learning point for future loans such as Ballard?

It seems that the grey bean counters upstairs have succeeded in brainwashing you.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

44 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I was talking about his value to Saints as a footballer not as an anonymous asset itemised on the balance sheet. Surely that much was blindingly obvious.

We sent the player out on loan to improve him as a footballer with the intention of bringing him back to play football for Saints. He became a very good footballer. When he returned he didn't want to play for Saints again.

How is that not a huge cock-up and a learning point for future loans such as Ballard?

It seems that the grey bean counters upstairs have succeeded in brainwashing you.

The cock up was getting relegated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

No, not brainwashed what so ever. The loan in it's most basic sense worked, because the player was able to play games, he progressed, he improved, his value increased etc.

As said above, the cockup was getting relegated. We'd have kept him if we'd still been in the PL and we'd have benefited from a successful loan. We still benefited from a successful loan in a financial sense though, so you cannot say that the decision to send him out to play and improve was a cockup - it had the desired result.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1