Pre season 20/21

stevy777_x

Somewhat untypical of the club to only release a few 'first day of training' photos. Pretty sure we usually get a bumper bundle of 'day 1' photos.

I guess they might blame it on Covid but even so, pre-season publicity has definitely got off to a much more subdued pace than usual IMO.

Probably nothing whatsoever to read into this of course :)

Wonder if there will be a focus on one of the returning loan players? Last year Boufal was featured very heavily, with also lots of articles and interviews singing his praises. This may have just been to get the supporters on side before the season starts.

Maybe there will be a similar thing with someone like Lemina this year??

6 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Redmond had been in France, they’ve had a quarantine period put in haven’t they? Bednarek has been away somewhere sunny but not sure where 

They all had time to get back beforehand. They are rich enough to have a range of options available to them to get back at short notice.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I wonder if it was Ralph that gave the players permission to go abroad or would that decision have been made elsewhere in the club?  Ralph obviously won't be chuffed if the decision wasn't his. As LeG says... "Typical Saints" to get something like this wrong, if it is indeed quarantine issues stopping some players taking part in pre season training 

2 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Going by Lemina's Instagram he's still in Instanbul. He'd be back training if we had any intentions of having another look at him this summer.

In The Athletic this morning Dan Sheldon reported Saints hoping to sell him and that Lemina & Carrillo won’t be reporting back for pre-season training due to quarantine periods (both in England and potentially elsewhere if/when sold)

27 minutes ago, Mozz said:

In The Athletic this morning Dan Sheldon reported Saints hoping to sell him and that Lemina & Carrillo won’t be reporting back for pre-season training due to quarantine periods (both in England and potentially elsewhere if/when sold)

Ah, that's good, cheers! Wonder why Hoedt's back, going from his Instagram, he's back in Southampton at least.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

So nothing from the club today. Either don’t want to show the sponsors logo, or a lack of pre season going on atm, very odd the whole thing IMO

Very strange. They are normally all over pre season stuff and if you look at other clubs social media then it sticks out even more.

All we have seen were a handful of pics on Tuesday.

Can only assume they don't want to draw attention to something. They could easily wear training gear with no sponsor. I wonder if maybe more players are quarentined?

On 19/08/2020 at 13:01, Matthew Le God said:

They all had time to get back beforehand. They are rich enough to have a range of options available to them to get back at short notice.

If it goes to an employment tribunal, the players will win. This may take 1+ years or it may take 2+ years. But it will surely happen. Of that, have no doubt. No doubt at all.

16 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Possibly a friendly today if this is true...

Here's hoping we can muster more players than the 7 or 8 the club have managed to photograph in training thus far.... ;)

(MLG banter caveat: yes, I know it'll probably be a mixture of first teamers and U23s that we put out at this stage of pre-season anyway.)

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Here's hoping we can muster more players than the 7 or 8 the club have managed to photograph in training thus far.... ;)

(MLG banter caveat: yes, I know it'll probably be a mixture of first teamers and U23s that we put out at this stage of pre-season anyway.)

Excellent caveat, Trousers.

If we are playing a friendly today, it makes the lack of info coming out of the club all the more strange. Apart from one probably prerecorded interview with JWP, there’s been hardly any content. Usually we’d have (Admittedly beige) interviews with players about the break, images of VO2 max and fitness testing, pictures of new players, interviews with Ralph etc. Etc. 

I know it’s only been a short break, but tbh I thought they would want to capitalise on the good feeling around the club at the moment by engaging as much as they can. Probably nothing to worry about and maybe the sponsor issue is the main problem, but it does all feel a little odd.

30 minutes ago, CWD said:

If we are playing a friendly today, it makes the lack of info coming out of the club all the more strange. Apart from one probably prerecorded interview with JWP, there’s been hardly any content. Usually we’d have (Admittedly beige) interviews with players about the break, images of VO2 max and fitness testing, pictures of new players, interviews with Ralph etc. Etc. 

I know it’s only been a short break, but tbh I thought they would want to capitalise on the good feeling around the club at the moment by engaging as much as they can. Probably nothing to worry about and maybe the sponsor issue is the main problem, but it does all feel a little odd.

There's definitely an 'abnormal' vibe about the PR output from the club at the moment. Only publishing 6 (?) photographs from the first week of pre-season, for example, is certainly bizarre territory. And no Salisu photoshoot yet - not even an informal photo of him holding a kit or suchlike - even though he was supposed to be out of quarantine beginning of this week at the latest (I believe ?). I'm sure, if quizzed, they would cite Covid as the main reason for this pre-season being different and, of course, that is no doubt a factor, but it's also an easy cop out....

Edited by trousers

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

It’s true.

Ainsworth on SSN live from his car in Rownhams services on his way to St Mary’s.  

Was just typing that when the reply came through 😂

Be interesting to see whether they provide live updates or keep it to just a report like they did with the Bristol City game pre-restart. 

Just now, GGalpin said:

Was just typing that when the reply came through 😂

Be interesting to see whether they provide live updates or keep it to just a report like they did with the Bristol City game pre-restart. 

It’s gloriously random :) 

(Great job he’s done there, BTW).

1 minute ago, SuperSAINT said:

It’s gloriously random :) 

(Great job he’s done there, BTW).

Be nice to see the likes of Jason McCarthy and Dom Gape back at SMS too. 

Yes he has, and is a really nice bloke too which makes it all the better.

Bit of a bizarre report on the OS...

https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2020-08-21/u23s-report-southampton-fc-vs-wycombe-wanderers-friendly-20-21

7 ot the starting 11 get a mention (Jones, Sims, O'Connor, Ferry, N'Lundulu, Slattery & Hesketh) but no definitive line-up summary.

Couldn't see any mention of Jankewitz though... Make of that what you will... :)

The first 90 minutes of the new season took place at St Mary’s on Friday afternoon, as Championship side Wycombe edged out Southampton’s Under-23s 1-0.

The game, which was evenly fought throughout, was eventually decided by a 58th minute header from Alex Samuel via a corner.

Saints’ starting eleven featured many of the likes who spent last season out on loan; notably Alfie Jones, Josh Sims and Tom O’Connor.

Several of the U23s regulars from last season also started, with Will Ferry and Dan N’Lundulu forming two thirds of the attack.

With high winds and no apparent sign of any August heat, the opening stages of the game were a tightly contested match-up.

Up until the first drinks break there was very little between the two sides, both enjoying a fair share of possession but neither troubling each opposition goalkeeper.

Saints’ first meaningful effort on goal came on the half-hour mark via a free-kick; Callum Slattery forcing David Stockdale in the Wycombe goal into a save to the keeper’s right-hand side.

Another effort from a set-play came five minutes later; Slattery again involved floating a deep ball towards N’Lundulu, who couldn’t turn it home at the back post.

Ferry was next to test Stockdale with three minutes to go before the interval, after feeding off of a Jake Hesketh through ball but seeing his low effort parried away.

But it remained 0-0 until the break, with very little to report in the way of clear-cut chances.

Both sides made changes following the interval, Saints going for a more youthful eleven than the one that featured during the first 45.

Caleb Watts, Kazeem Olaigbe and Ramello Mitchell were amongst those who took to the field for Saints.

The visitors came out after the break and saw a much larger portion of the ball than they had done during the first half.

Playing against a much younger Saints side they made their experience count just shy of the hour mark, Samuel connecting to a Josh Parker corner to give the Blues the lead.

Saints looked to respond, Watts twisting and turning his way through the Wycombe defence before curling an effort into the arms of the visitors’ goalkeeper.

A side made up of largely Under-18s faces from the season just gone, the hosts were more of a match for their more experienced counterparts as the half wore on.

Jayden Smith found space in midfield after 75 minutes before running at the Wycombe defence as Saints found an opportunity to counter, but his ball intended for Watts was cut out.

But despite causing the visitors many problems, Gareth Ainsworth's side held out for a 1-0 win at St Mary's.

Edited by trousers

Not sure what's odd about that tbh. It's a limited report of a kick about for the u23's.

I suspect Jankewitz is part of the 1st team picture so not surprising he didn't feature. 

What I took from that is that we have loads of youngsters that'll never get a game for us and we need to find clubs for. 

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Not sure what's odd about that tbh. It's a limited report of a kick about for the u23's.

I suspect Jankewitz is part of the 1st team picture so not surprising he didn't feature. 

What I took from that is that we have loads of youngsters that'll never get a game for us and we need to find clubs for. 

Fair enough. I just don't see why the reporter wouldn't list the full line up given it wouldn't do any harm to do so. No big deal though.

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

Fair enough. I just don't see why the reporter wouldn't list the full line up given it wouldn't do any harm to do so. No big deal though.

They often don't in these games. I don't think it's sinister. I've just checked the Wycombe website and neither sides teams are on there either. 

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Some action at last! Boufal is training...

Redmond the only 'starting 11' player from last season not there...? 

Edit: actually, couldn't see JWP either

Edit #2: actually, this might be JWP...

Screenshot_20200821-200447.png

Edited by trousers