Pre season 20/21

stevy777_x

It is going to be a very interesting pre season, all players will be back next monday, 4 weeks before the start of the season.

New signings like KWP and Salisu.

I wonder if all the loanees will be there too:

Forster, Reed, Hoedt, Lemina, Carillo? Or will Some be told to stay away like last season?

i expect Reed to be given some extra time off having only finished last week.

Which youngsters will feature?

Ferry?Jankevitz? Nlundulu? Tella? Mellis?

Obviously no jolly abroad involved (Ralph has already said that - amazed the journo actually asked the question).Wonder if we will see a few friendlies with local clubs like the strange 3 x 45 minutes game we had v Bristol City where everyone had a go pre restart?

Good challenge for management to make it interesting enough - as much as I like my house and garden boy do I long for a change of scenery and routine away from it.

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

It is going to be a very interesting pre season, all players will be back next monday, 4 weeks before the start of the season.

New signings like KWP and Salisu.

I wonder if all the loanees will be there too:

Forster, Reed, Hoedt, Lemina, Carillo? Or will Some be told to stay away like last season?

i expect Reed to be given some extra time off having only finished last week.

Which youngsters will feature?

Ferry?Jankevitz? Nlundulu? Tella? Mellis?

Mellis?

i read Useless Pellegrino wants Carillo at Velez but he wants to stay in Europe

Well the squad still needs work, plenty of outs and a few ins. Funnily enough, bit bored at work, I just penned the current squad out. It looks like this. (Brackets are either not wanted/needed or youth players)

GK: McCarthy, Forster, Gunn, Lewis. -  Obviously needs cutting down. Lewis is now over 21 and would need registering if he's third choice.

RB: KWP, Valery, (Ramsey) - Not bad now, jury still out on Valery as second choice but should be given time.

LB: Bertrand, Vokins, (McQueen) - Same as Valery, jury out on Vokins as second choice but what's the point in having a decent academy if we don't use them! McQueen obviously nobody really knows what's happening there, but surely his days are numbered. (Also worth mentioning KWP can play LB if needed.)

CB: Stephens, Bednarek, Salisu, Vestergaard, (Jones, Klarer, Hoedt) - assuing Salisu is a done deal. Jannick as 4th choice? Depends if he can be sold or not. I'd be surprised to see us bring another CB in until that happens.

CM: JWP, Romeu, Reed, Smallbone, (Slattery, Jankewitz, Lemina) - Maybe one light there, definitely one light if we sell Reed. Possible outs again for Lemina and Slattery.

AM: Redmond, Armstrong, Djenepo, Boufal, (Sims, Hesketh, Tella, Ferry) - Not sure what's going on with Boufal with one year left on his contract. He's technicially 4th choice. If he does go, we need a new AM brought in for me, as Sims and Hesketh probably have no future here.

STR: Ings, Long, Adams, Obafemi, (N'Lundulu, Carillo) - Pretty strong here. If we do bring in a striker, maybe Balogun, then I can only see Obafemi leaving on loan, but if that's our 4 for the start of the season, I wouldn't be disappointed.

I just hope we start the main season as fit as we came back from lockdown. That would make for a few good early season results hopefully.

Edited by SNSUN
Moved Ferry to AM cos I got MLG'd, and forgot Hoedt because, well, who wouldn't. :-)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

Well the squad still needs work, plenty of outs and a few ins. Funnily enough, bit bored at work, I just penned the current squad out. It looks like this. (Brackets are either not wanted/needed or youth players)

CB: Stephens, Bednarek, Salisu, Vestergaard, (Jones, Klarer) - assuing Salisu is a done deal. Jannick as 4th choice? Depends if he can be sold or not. I'd be surprised to see us bring another CB in until that happens.

Got my pedants hat on (unless I've missed something recently) you've left out the Dutch bloke who apparently could challenge the mercurial Lovren for greatness.

As an aside the fountain of t'internet truth Wikipedia claims Salisu signed last Wednesday.

Would be disappointing if Lewis was given a new contract as he clearly won't make it. Seems we have a real dearth of talent GK wise as we had to sign the lad Rose purely to fill a spot in the U23s.

Maddox was only on loan so we would have to offer him a contract if he were to stay.

The likes of Sims, Hesketh, Jones and O'Connor would all be back in theory too - decisions (presumably to sell them all) all required.

33 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Would be disappointing if Lewis was given a new contract as he clearly won't make it. Seems we have a real dearth of talent GK wise as we had to sign the lad Rose purely to fill a spot in the U23s.

Maddox was only on loan so we would have to offer him a contract if he were to stay.

The likes of Sims, Hesketh, Jones and O'Connor would all be back in theory too - decisions (presumably to sell them all) all required.

I'd imagine Sims, Hesketh, Jones and co will all leave. Decent careers in the lower leagues I imagine, but they'll never make it here.

I know someone will probably post about Sims being the answer to all....but he's not going to make it here, I think that much is obvious.

Hopefully the days of make-do and mend are beginning to recede. We should be looking at the promising16 -18 year olds from the Academy as part of our future not the early-20's been tried and failed cohort. We have to rely on Ralph's judgement. As they say what happened in the past is a foreign country and they did things differently there.

It is sad that we have had to buy in players like KWP because JV didn't step up to the plate as expected but surely nobody ever imagined that all first team Academy players would automatically make the grade. If one or two each season get into the first team squad that must be judged a success especially if Ralph is the judge.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I'd imagine Sims, Hesketh, Jones and co will all leave. Decent careers in the lower leagues I imagine, but they'll never make it here.

I know someone will probably post about Sims being the answer to all....but he's not going to make it here, I think that much is obvious.

From the little I've seen of Alfie Jones and from what Gillingham fans have said, I'd be surprised if he's not playing in the championship next season. The others will struggle though IMO. 

On some of the academy/ex-academy players, I’m relaxed if they are deep squad players. If Josh Sims is our 4th/5th choice attacking midfielder, that’s fine by me. Valery is absolutely fine as 2nd choice right back. 

Don’t know much about Alfie Jones, but again can we do better for a 4th/5th choice centre back?

I’d like us to put most resources into the starting XI (plus maybe 2 or 3 others). If the deeper squad is a bit tilted to Championship level players, so be it.

The recent nightmare has been spending c£15m and £60k pw on players who don’t play for us very much or even at all.

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I'd be surprised if the club allowed players to go sbroad.

From social media at least Valery, Redmond and Bertrand have been in France over the last couple of days. Assume with their resources they could get back quicker than most, but not impossible that it could have an impact.

On 14/08/2020 at 12:56, Saint_clark said:

Well fuck me, we're stupider than I thought.

3 hours ago, djharvey said:

You actually thought the club could insist on players not travelling abroad! 

15 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Absolutely. 

If your employer told you weren't allowed to go abroad on your holiday would you be happy? It isn't enforceable and all they could do is advise against it. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

If your employer told you weren't allowed to go abroad on your holiday would you be happy? It isn't enforceable and all they could do is advise against it. 

I'm not an asset worth millions of pounds to my employer, and in that situation I would say fair enough.

3 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Employers dictating where employees can go on holiday isn't going to hold up in an employment tribunal.

My company has basically done this and are advised it’s legally sound. We can’t physically stop staff going abroad, but if they end up needing quarantine, they will be placed on unpaid leave and may be sanctioned further. If staff act in a way that makes it harder/impossible to carry out their contracted obligations, they can be sanctioned. Pretty severely.

5 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

My company has basically done this and are advised it’s legally sound. We can’t physically stop staff going abroad, but if they end up needing quarantine, they will be placed on unpaid leave and may be sanctioned further. If staff act in a way that makes it harder/impossible to carry out their contracted obligations, they can be sanctioned. Pretty severely.

So they haven't actually done it then, they've advised people not to go abroad. Which isn't the same thing.

20 minutes ago, SaintBobby said:

Just trying to put the frightners on you! As already said by MLG, not a chance of holding up in an employment tribunal!

9 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

So they haven't actually done it then, they've advised people not to go abroad. Which isn't the same thing.

It has the same effect. Companies can’t physically stop employees doing things really - swearing and using racist language on twitter, having sex with people they line manage, drinking ten pints of beer at lunchtime, engaging in armed robbery, defocating on the office carpet, taking a pickaxe to every computer in the building or going somewhere on holiday which involves quarantining afterwards - what they can do is to “advise” strongly against these things and punish you severely if you do any of them. This has the same effect. 

1 minute ago, SaintBobby said:

It has the same effect. Companies can’t physically stop employees doing things really - swearing and using racist language on twitter, having sex with people they line manage, drinking ten pints of beer at lunchtime, engaging in armed robbery, defocating on the office carpet, taking a pickaxe to every computer in the building or going somewhere on holiday which involves quarantining afterwards - what they can do is to “advise” strongly against these things and punish you severely if you do any of them. This has the same effect. 

They can't legally punish you for your holiday destination. It wouldn't end well for them if the employee took action against them.

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

They can't legally punish you for your holiday destination. It wouldn't end well for them if the employee took action against them.

I don’t know what you mean by “legally punish”. They aren’t the police or the courts. I’d be fired though if I went to Spain for my booked annual leave - it would mean I could not conduct my duties (a whole range of diary appointments and meetings already arranged) upon my return. If employees act in a way that they know specifically prevents them carrying out their work, they’d likely be severely sanctioned or sacked. And rightly and legally so. 

1 hour ago, SaintBobby said:

I don’t know what you mean by “legally punish”. They aren’t the police or the courts. I’d be fired though if I went to Spain for my booked annual leave - it would mean I could not conduct my duties (a whole range of diary appointments and meetings already arranged) upon my return. If employees act in a way that they know specifically prevents them carrying out their work, they’d likely be severely sanctioned or sacked. And rightly and legally so. 

Companies cannot specifically tell you not to go to a country for your holidays, there is no valid ground for sacking someone.

There is valid ground however for not paying you as you can t do your job for 15 days.

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

Companies cannot specifically tell you not to go to a country for your holidays, there is no valid ground for sacking someone.

There is valid ground however for not paying you as you can t do your job for 15 days.

It would depend what you miss. If I went to Spain now, I would miss a board meeting on my return through my own decisions. That's very serious.I'd expect more than a one-off wage cut by way of sanction. Maybe not the sack, but something very serious.

Edited by SaintBobby

On 15/08/2020 at 18:46, Matthew Le God said:

We have to apply for approval to go abroad on holidays. If refused, job could be at risk if you go. We're also banned from public transport. Compelled to commute by car.

Am I the only one then?

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Hopefully Djenepo is fit for pre season, it was never really stated how severe his injury was.

Can only assume that not everyone was back today otherwise Salisu and KWP would have been all over the Saints social media.

Which always worries me...