Pre season 20/21

stevy777_x

1 hour ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Couldn't see Salisu, Djenepo or Redmond.

I definately Saw, Vestergaard, Bednarek and Stephens. So it's safe to same the CBs aren't exactly a issue, Unless Salisu has gotten himself Covid.

Obafemi not there either?

Salisu could just be crocked as opposed to infected with Covid.

Djenepo injury a concern. Haven't heard anything on severity which is usually not a good sign.

Salisu I think did have an injury end of last season but would have thought it should have cleared up by now and there was no mention when we signed him. Presuming hr has pretty much been in a hotel room the whole time he has been in Soton. Interestingly perhaps, he doesn't follow/isn't followed by any of the squad on social media which potentially suggests he hasn't met any of them yet, and Saints media team are usually keen to show a new signing at the training ground.

Also still nothing on the lad from Las Palmas, Jeremi Rodriguez, whonwas supposedly signed for u23s. I did wonder if maybe he played yesterday and they didnt want to name a lineup with a player we haven't announced has signed.

Updates have been shocking really compared to other clubs. Most have announced friendlies, nothing from Saints. No retained list, a few players like Harry Lewis must have signed extensions that haven't been communicated. No player interviews about pre season etc. Not a big deal but certainly bizarre.

3 minutes ago, jamesfp1 said:

Are the first team not having any pre season matches?

Can't see anything about plans on the OS or twitter. 

They probably will, no point in telling fans though as we wouldn't be able to attend. Probably lots of behind closed doors/non advertised friendlies.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They probably will, no point in telling fans though as we wouldn't be able to attend. Probably lots of behind closed doors/non advertised friendlies.

Theres always their YouTube Channel. You would hope theres some fan engagement.

Just now, Nolan said:

Theres always their YouTube Channel. You would hope theres some fan engagement.

Yeah possibly, I guess there's no need for any advance notice anyway. We may have one 'proper' friendly I guess, but it's quite a condensed pre-season so everything will be a tad different.

9 hours ago, jamesfp1 said:

Are the first team not having any pre season matches?

Can't see anything about plans on the OS or twitter. 

Who knows whats going on, info coming out the club a bit light at the moment. Noted Liverpool & Spurs have had games already, whens our first one?

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Who knows whats going on, info coming out the club a bit light at the moment. Noted Liverpool & Spurs have had games already, whens our first one?

Maybe we are doing the same preparation we had at the end of lockdown. 
The players were pretty sharp then.

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Maybe we are doing the same preparation we had at the end of lockdown. 
The players were pretty sharp then.

Didn't we lose to Bristol City in prep for the return? Certainly didn't do us any harm but if a similar repeat of that occurs this time no doubt a few will go into meltdown mode. No problem with keeping preparation mostly under wraps.

On 22/08/2020 at 06:26, Dusic said:

Salisu I think did have an injury end of last season but would have thought it should have cleared up by now and there was no mention when we signed him. Presuming hr has pretty much been in a hotel room the whole time he has been in Soton. Interestingly perhaps, he doesn't follow/isn't followed by any of the squad on social media which potentially suggests he hasn't met any of them yet, and Saints media team are usually keen to show a new signing at the training ground.

Is he even in the country? There were reports before we signed Salisu that the foreign clubs also on his trail had discounted England as a potential destination as he wouldn't get a work permit (Ghanaian, uncapped, modest transfer fee). Yet when the transfer to Saints was all set, it was reported that we believed the work permit would be a mere "formality".

Perhaps we've misunderstood the qualifying criteria and are in the process of organising an appeal and/or making plans to loan out a player who can't play for us for the foreseeable future.

21 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Perhaps we've misunderstood the qualifying criteria and are in the process of organising an appeal and/or making plans to loan out a player who can't play for us for the foreseeable future.

Its Saints....and transfers. Wouldn't surprise me.

This is what was said when Salisu was announced on Wednesday 12th August:

image.png.ef01726d079fcf1033803bdd889a8f88.png

So, the club we're happy that all the formalities had concluded and Salisu was anticipating coming out of quarantine and start training with the squad "next week" (i.e. last week).

Edited by trousers

2 hours ago, alehouseboys said:

Didn't we lose to Bristol City in prep for the return? Certainly didn't do us any harm but if a similar repeat of that occurs this time no doubt a few will go into meltdown mode.

Saints won the game vs Bristol City

Edited by Matthew Le God

8 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Also out the EIRE squad as well..

There was a photo on twitter today from someone saying their brother meet him in Southampton today - so if that was today it’s not him as he’s not isolating. 

Most PL teams seem to have now played at least one friendly and some more. 

Wonder when our first one will be?

I'm not buying Sheldon's COVID excuse for the lack of pics, interviews and video - all the other teams social media channels have it.

There are loads of players yet to be sighted in the limited pics released.

We started really well post lockdown, so have total faith in the planning of a pre season, but it is odd, especially at a time they are trying to get people excited enough about the season to review a ST.

Surely if Salisu is just training on his own it doesn't take much to just arrange him to have one photo taken. FWIW he still doesn't follow any of his new team mates on social media and isnt followed by anyone apart from the official account, which is unusual unless he hasnt met any of the players yet, two weeks into pre season.

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

Surely if Salisu is just training on his own it doesn't take much to just arrange him to have one photo taken. FWIW he still doesn't follow any of his new team mates on social media and isnt followed by anyone apart from the official account, which is unusual unless he hasnt met any of the players yet, two weeks into pre season.

The conspiracy theorist in me is certainly thinking that something isn't quite right with the Salisu situation. Given it seems (by deduction) that it's Redmond who is the "Southampton player with Covid", it's pointing towards Salisu being more unfit / injured than originally anticipated or something has gone awry with his paperwork. (either of those would fit @LeG's "typical Saints" remark....). Of course, I'm sure there's a less conspiratorial reason that we're not aware of.....

Edited by trousers

Why do we think the club are so secretive about pre-season? Pretty much every other club has had friendlies and posted teams / highlights etc on social media, and we've seen about 10 photos...don't get it.

Clearly not to do with Redmond, as everyone has worked that one out anyway...

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Why do we think the club are so secretive about pre-season? Pretty much every other club has had friendlies and posted teams / highlights etc on social media, and we've seen about 10 photos...don't get it.

Clearly not to do with Redmond, as everyone has worked that one out anyway...

We're pretty secretive over everything to be honest, have been for years and years. It's just how we operate.

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We're pretty secretive over everything to be honest, have been for years and years. It's just how we operate.

We've been less secretive over the last few years, I get your point under the Cortese era...

Compare it to last year, and we plastering day by day accounts of pre season, games etc.

3 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Disagree in regards pre-season. We usually get wall-to-wall coverage on that side of things. Appreciate we're living under the shadow of the pandemic which will curtail the PR machine to a certain degree but I think the lack of coverage this year is vastly disproportionate to previous years. (just a perception so could be wide of the mark I guess)

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Disagree in regards pre-season. We usually get wall-to-wall coverage on that side of things. Appreciate we're living under the shadow of the pandemic which will curtail the PR machine to a certain degree but I think the lack of coverage this year is vastly disproportionate to previous years. (just a perception so could be wide of the mark I guess)

I don’t know off-hand, but doesn’t seem unusual for us to only hear about certain friendlies via the opposition. 

1 hour ago, trousers said:

Screenshot_20200827-190613.png

So, Redmond was just quarantining and it's Salisu that has Corona virus...?

(2+2 = ?)

Who knows? We have seen all the first team aside from Salisu, so clearly something not right with him.

Good that everyone else seems fit at this stage though, lets hope it is that way in two weeks time.

I doubt Salisu was being lined up to start the first game, but certainly not ideal if he cannot play a part in pre season - presumably one of the reasons we signed him early on was to be able to integrate him well.

Shame not to hear anything from the club, even if via Blackmore etc.

(2+2 = ?)

Who knows? We have seen all the first team aside from Salisu, so clearly something not right with him.

Good that everyone else seems fit at this stage though, lets hope it is that way in two weeks time.

I doubt Salisu was being lined up to start the first game, but certainly not ideal if he cannot play a part in pre season - presumably one of the reasons we signed him early on was to be able to integrate him well.

(2+2 = ?)

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Looking slim as they don't seem to want to acknowledge the Swansea game is happening. Hopefully they do something closer to kickoff and are trying to avoid idiots turning up to the stadium.

At first I thought they wouldn't be allowed due to the Community Shield, but Leicester are currently streaming