Tiss, Thompson and Charlie Sacked from GSS

Lighthouse

I don’t often agree with Martin Samual but he hit the nail on the head in his article today.

“Alex Scott is going to be the new presenter of A Question of Sport. Apparently, she was considered the best person for the job. The best person for every job these days it seems. Maybe she could be both captains and answer her own questions, too.

Matt Le Tissier played his last game for Southampton on January 30, 2002, coming on as an 82nd minute substitute for Kevin Davies against West Ham. Sky may think this makes him yesterday's man, along with Charlie Nicholas and Phil Thompson — all three have been stood down from their jobs on the excellent Soccer Saturday programme, replaced by fresher faces.

Yet is Clinton Morrison or Tim Sherwood, Tony Pulis or Glen Johnson really more relevant to the modern generation than Le Tissier? His legend endures, beyond that of much younger players, because his highlights reel is extraordinary. And the way young people consume media these days, it is only a matter of time before a YouTube clip of Le Tissier, or a video lasting 30 minutes showing goal after spectacular goal, is discovered. 

My boys were five and four when Le Tissier quit. They all know him, though. They can all relate individual moments from his career, too. It's not the same with the rest of the Sky panel. More than any of the Soccer Saturday pundits, Le Tissier's feats live in the present.

Yet the rush to jettison the old has meant the promotion or presence of any new face, certainly a woman or a BAME individual, is dismissed as part of a politically-driven agenda. The excellent Micah Richards has suffered from this, too. Change is inevitable. But it could have been handled considerably better.“

• Like 1

Yes indeed. Good article Lord Duckhunter. Obviously most folks on here have a bias towards "our very own Le Tiss" but totally agree with the Micah Richards comment too. He was a fairly new fresh face on the scene. He seemed knowledgeable, made sensible comments, but had a good sense of humour and an infectious laugh and he was a pleasure to watch unlike some of the other dross being served up. Some of them can't even string a properly structured sentence together.......I honestly can't listen to Clinton Morrison.

As for Alex Scott. Question of Sport  presenter (I wasn't aware she was taking over) and captain of both teams......and on the picture board.....12 pictures of her.....all shot from different angles. She must have a bloody good agent.

What's the betting Clinton Morrison will be one of the captains?

I suppose in the case of SKY and BBC, at the end of the day they will be judged by their viewing figures. I for one won't be watching.....so that's one fewer already.  Haha I'll show them!!!  

I think Scott would be a decent host of QoS and much better suited to that than something like GSS. It’s more of a bland, inoffensive family viewing show. A sort of Michael McIntyre of sports entertainment, without the ‘mates down the pub’ feel that Stelling and co. Used to have.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the writing was on the wall for the show when they couldn't fit all 5 people in the studio due to social distancing, cutting down on the banter .. Add the fact that there is now only one 3pm kick off and it gets less interesting still.  

I turned  it off yesterday when Ali McCoist started  singing the Animal Magic theme,  

18 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

so if you look at the make-up of yesterdays show they have replaced 50+ Scotsman Charlie Nicholas with 50+ Scotsman Ally McCoist, they have replaced Le Tissier with managerial great Tim Sherwood, replaced Thommo with the even more un-intelligible Clinton Morrison (or fellow Scouser Sue Smith and kept dumb ass Merson.

Brilliant Sky, truly brilliant. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Clinton Morrison is the new Garth Crookes. I defy anyone to claim he’s got all these gigs on merit. Him and that Scott bird are on bloody everything. At least she’s a bit of eye candy, the only talent he’s got is god given, his colour. 

And that accent

Clinton Morrison has been the one bright spot this afternoon on SSN. The girl covering the Leicester /wham match and now Arsenal / Sheffield United is dire, just as is the girl covering the WSL matches.....I see they are now giving women’s football equal billing with the men’s game!!

Edited by SW5 SAINT
Edit

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Who is Alex Scott? I see her everywhere and I still don't know who she is. She played for England women was all I could ascertain. 

You see her everywhere...she played for England woman.  While we’re on the subject who is the Roy Keane??, I see him everywhere, and he played for Man United & Ireland was all I could ascertain...who is he??

Edited by wadesmith
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Clinton Morrison has been the one bright spot this afternoon on SSN. The girl covering the Leicester /wham match and now Arsenal / Sheffield United is dire, just as is the girl covering the WSL matches.....

I’ve given it a go the last couple of weekends and had to switch off. It’s just bland, dull inoffensive television. Sure, it won’t offend anyone but it isn’t making me want to tune in either and I probably won’t. Merse struggling to string a sentence together was one thing but having him an Morrison on the same show is hard listening. I had assumed that the three they sacked would just be replaced by some PC wet dream but Sherwood, Pulis and McCoist? The latter ceased being funny on Question of Sport 20 years ago.

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I’ve given it a go the last couple of weekends and had to switch off. It’s just bland, dull inoffensive television. Sure, it won’t offend anyone but it isn’t making me want to tune in either and I probably won’t. Merse struggling to string a sentence together was one thing but having him an Morrison on the same show is hard listening. I had assumed that the three they sacked would just be replaced by some PC wet dream but Sherwood, Pulis and McCoist? The latter ceased being funny on Question of Sport 20 years ago.

Yeh agree, the PC brigade got what they wanted at the expense of watchable viewing. All the other channels are following the same code and so on it goes. 

I notice that some of these new recruits are from Talk Shite which says alot.

4 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Yeh agree, the PC brigade got what they wanted at the expense of watchable viewing. All the other channels are following the same code and so on it goes. 

I notice that some of these new recruits are from Talk Shite which says alot.

Ahh, Talksport. Famously known as the favourite radio station of the PC Brigade.

You dipshits still crying about Sky binning off some pundits because they were hanging about too long getting less relevant to the modern game and asking for fatter and fatter contracts. They bounced them out. Saved a few quid.

Pretty obviously a financial decision but pitiful thickos can only see PC-gone-mad-innit because they are incapable of processing the world in any other way, having a hernia if a woman or, heavens, a brown person ever gets a job.

Bunch of fucking mugs.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Ahh, Talksport. Famously known as the favourite radio station of the PC Brigade.

You dipshits still crying about Sky binning off some pundits because they were hanging about too long getting less relevant to the modern game and asking for fatter and fatter contracts. They bounced them out. Saved a few quid.

Pretty obviously a financial decision but pitiful thickos can only see PC-gone-mad-innit because they are incapable of processing the world in any other way, having a hernia if a woman or, heavens, a brown person ever gets a job.

Bunch of fucking mugs.

Strange, your post is the one which mostly resembles being upset and 'having a hernia'. All I've said is it's dull, uninspiring television which I won't be watching in future. If you find it watchable then have at it, no need to be rude.

FWIW SS F1 coverage is generally excellent and they have women AND a brown person.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Strange, your post is the one which mostly resembles being upset and 'having a hernia'. All I've said is it's dull, uninspiring television which I won't be watching in future. If you find it watchable then have at it, no need to be rude.

FWIW SS F1 coverage is generally excellent and they have women AND a brown person.

I wasn't replying to you, was I?

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Well I thought it was implied by the phrase, 'bunch of f**king mugs' in response to a post (largely) agreeing with me.

If you want to associate yourself with people whinging about "woke", the "PC Brigade" and people getting jobs only because of their colour, then that's your lookout, squire.

It wasn't aimed at you but if you want it to be then be my guest.

Edited by CB Fry

7 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

I’ve given it a go the last couple of weekends and had to switch off. It’s just bland, dull inoffensive television. Sure, it won’t offend anyone but 

lol wtf!?

Yeah because I definitely like my football punditry to be as offensive as possible, if they expect me to watch it. 

The irony being, you sound pretty fucking offended by it all.

But then you did give it a couple of weeks (which I have no doubt you went into with an open mind), so plenty of time to make a fair judgement I am sure

5 minutes ago, RedFear said:

lol wtf!?

Yeah because I definitely like my football punditry to be as offensive as possible, if they expect me to watch it. 

The irony being, you sound pretty fucking offended by it all.

But then you did give it a couple of weeks (which I have no doubt you went into with an open mind), so plenty of time to make a fair judgement I am sure

Okay, this one I will assume is aimed at me.  Strangely, you seem quick to point out how offended I am, when you are the one resorting to unnecessary swearing and sarcasm. I’m not sure how long you require me to watch something before passing judgement, needless to say if I didn’t have an open mind, I wouldn’t have bothered watching. I’ve lost interest in plenty of TV shows after much less than 2 episodes.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Okay, this one I will assume is aimed at me.  Strangely, you seem quick to point out how offended I am, when you are the one resorting to unnecessary swearing and sarcasm. I’m not sure how long you require me to watch something before passing judgement, needless to say if I didn’t have an open mind, I wouldn’t have bothered watching. I’ve lost interest in plenty of TV shows after much less than 2 episodes.

I am sorry if my swearing offended you. I understand how sensitive you are to that. (although I am now confused if you like to be offended or not)

As for being open minded, you opened this thread by saying is 'used' to be a good show...in August!

You guys come across like old men yelling at the tide, telling it to stop going out.

You really should hide you prejudice better. You are in danger of being left behind

1 hour ago, RedFear said:

I am sorry if my swearing offended you. I understand how sensitive you are to that. (although I am now confused if you like to be offended or not)

As for being open minded, you opened this thread by saying is 'used' to be a good show...in August!

You guys come across like old men yelling at the tide, telling it to stop going out.

You really should hide you prejudice better. You are in danger of being left behind

No, you need to imagine that as the art of debate is now lost. It seems everyone now needs to pigeon hole their opponent as either a wet, soppy, lefty, pinko liberal or a frothy mouthed, red faced, middle aged ‘gammon’ and nothing in between. Of course it usually involves a fair bit of mental gymnastics to make it fit but that’s the internet I suppose.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, it's a shit gig. Not least because there's so many games on TV that any decent pundit can get a gig at an actual game rather than sitting in a studio all afternoon watching one of them on a small screen. Further to this, the utter meltdown of the racists and sexists in this country when the guys got the boot and everyone assumed Alex Scott would be hired probably made anyone who isn't desperate for a job think "nah you're alright". 

Hence Sky have had to resort to the piss poor quality they have. 

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Bunch of fucking mugs.

If anyone cannot see the blatant social engineering pervading every aspect of our lives then they could more accurately be described as a mug, or worse.

15 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

If anyone cannot see the blatant social engineering pervading every aspect of our lives then they could more accurately be described as a mug, or worse.

Don't tell me: that women's and racial equality thing is fair enough but its gone too far the other way now.

This TV show has been dead since we could reliably stream every premiership match live.  There is no point in watching old men waffle on about a match when you can watch it yourself and I certainly am not going to listen to some Bint nag for 90 minutes either, regardless of what colour it is.

Edited by Killers Knee