Tiss, Thompson and Charlie Sacked from GSS

Lighthouse

I like Lineker, he’s an excellent presenter and has a fascinating incite into the game. I disagree with his politics but have absolutely no issue with him expressing his views on Twitter. It seems to me that free speech is only acceptable if it comes from the left.

16 hours ago, iansums said:

I like Lineker, he’s an excellent presenter and has a fascinating incite into the game. I disagree with his politics but have absolutely no issue with him expressing his views on Twitter. It seems to me that free speech is only acceptable if it comes from the left.

It seems to me free speech is only acceptable when it's free of hate and discrimination.

• Like 1

Awful lot of bollocks talked here about "free speech only acceptable if it comes from the left". Most newspapers are controlled by foreign owners and have a right-wing agenda. Commentators like Andrew Neil, Sarah Vine and Julia Hartley-Brewer are free to spout their views in the papers and all over Twitter. Nigel Farage seems to be on the TV more often than David Attenborough. Free speech is them being able to do that and others being able to disagree.

For goodness sake, we have a government elected on a right-wing,  pro-Brexit agenda driven by the media but it somehow still feels threatened by a few comedians making jokes about the competence of Gavin Williamson.

What Le Tiss wrote was ill-informed and a moment's thought would have told him that it would be considered offensive to link wearing a face covering to genocide. But he was free to tweet it. People are free to agree with him. I'm free to discard their opinions and to think less of them.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, itchen said:

Awful lot of bollocks talked here about "free speech only acceptable if it comes from the left". Most newspapers are controlled by foreign owners and have a right-wing agenda. Commentators like Andrew Neil, Sarah Vine and Julia Hartley-Brewer are free to spout their views in the papers and all over Twitter. Nigel Farage seems to be on the TV more often than David Attenborough. Free speech is them being able to do that and others being able to disagree.

For goodness sake, we have a government elected on a right-wing,  pro-Brexit agenda driven by the media but it somehow still feels threatened by a few comedians making jokes about the competence of Gavin Williamson.

What Le Tiss wrote was ill-informed and a moment's thought would have told him that it would be considered offensive to link wearing a face covering to genocide. But he was free to tweet it. People are free to agree with him. I'm free to discard their opinions and to think less of them.

Yep and Maggie Thatcher was also a very outspoken PM for a decade even through some bitter national disputes eg miners. People will have different views on it but honestly don’t think any of it constituted hate speech, however divisive it may have been. Can anyone imagine her being dictated to by Putin like Trump, Cummings and Boris? 

MLT is entitled to his views and still love what he did as a player but if any of us had tweeted that, there would be ramifications for our businesses or employers in terms of disciplinary action/losing contracts. Working for a corporate organisation like Sky who were pondering changes anyway was only going one way. I hope he now learns from it or asks family/friends/agent for help with managing his account as a bit of better informed filtration.

2 hours ago, itchen said:

For goodness sake, we have a government elected on a right-wing,  pro-Brexit agenda 

Complete pony. In no way, shape, or form, is this a right wing Government . This is the problem with political debate nowadays, simplistic black or white arguments. Brexit=Right wing.

I wish you were right and we did have a right wing Government, instead of an incompetent pinko one. From a Millibandist pre Covid budget, to half arsed New labour law & order soundbite led polices, this is a Blair tribute act. Fuck me, even Cameron was more fiscally conservative than this lot. 

• Like 1

M

4 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Complete pony. In no way, shape, or form, is this a right wing Government . This is the problem with political debate nowadays, simplistic black or white arguments. Brexit=Right wing.

I wish you were right and we did have a right wing Government, instead of an incompetent pinko one. From a Millibandist pre Covid budget, to half arsed New labour law & order soundbite led polices, this is a Blair tribute act. Fuck me, even Cameron was more fiscally conservative than this lot. 

Ha, ha good effort. But not in Turkish league.

7 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

What tweet did he delete then that warranted a follow up apology?

He retweeted an image regarding Anne Frank, pointing out that just because something is ‘the law’ doesn’t mean it’s right (essentially saying those sheltering her were breaking the law, whilst those trying to capture her were obeying it). But that was a few days ago, so I think now he’s an anti-semitic holocaust denier, if i’m following things correctly. 

Edited by saintwbu

7 hours ago, saintwbu said:

He retweeted an image regarding Anne Frank, pointing out that just because something is ‘the law’ doesn’t mean it’s right (essentially saying those sheltering her were breaking the law, whilst those trying to capture her were obeying it). But that was a few days ago, so I think now he’s an anti-semitic holocaust denier, if i’m following things correctly

Unsurprisingly, you're not following it correctly. 

11 hours ago, saintwbu said:

He retweeted an image regarding Anne Frank, pointing out that just because something is ‘the law’ doesn’t mean it’s right (essentially saying those sheltering her were breaking the law, whilst those trying to capture her were obeying it). But that was a few days ago, so I think now he’s an anti-semitic holocaust denier, if i’m following things correctly. 

I....don't think he tweeted that implying that hiding Anne Frank was the wrong thing to do, more that just because something is written in law it doesn't mean it's moral or desirable. But thanks. 

36 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I....don't think he tweeted that implying that hiding Anne Frank was the wrong thing to do, more that just because something is written in law it doesn't mean it's moral or desirable. But thanks. 

To be generous let’s say he was unwise  in using the example he did to highlight his point.

Edited by beatlesaint

Sounds like has just copied the idea from the internet thinking it was a good point about when it is OK to ignore a law . He should have realised it was a poor example to quote apart from the fact he would get labelled as some sort of Holocaust denier .

It is fair to argue that scientists have different opinions about face masks , some say they can cause a problem as people are touching their face more when using them plus not replacing/washing them etc . Others say using them stops spread via droplets that are expelled by speech , singing , laughing , sneezing , coughing etc so they should be worn.

Most people seem to be going along with masks , apart from the youngsters who seem to think it's OK to carry on partying etc !

6 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

I know, that’s what I was pointing out to people who have as always taken what was said (by Le Tiss in this instance) completely out of context when explaining it to others. It was pretty clear to me that he was saying ‘just because it’s the law, doesn’t make it right’, but I don’t have a particular axe to grind or particular political leaning, so I tend to take things as I see them, rather than the way that suits my agenda. Like when Corbyn said ‘Osama Bin Laden’s death was a tragedy because he wasn’t tried in a court of law and held accountable for his crimes’ - naturally the headlines lead with ‘Corbyn thinks Bin Laden’s death was a tragedy’ and most don’t read past the headline so it suited them perfectly. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SaintsLoyal said:

One hell of a line up this Saturday ! Pulis Sherwood 😄

There must be a lot of legal bits and bobs going on with the sacked bunch, i suspect their contracts ran to end of this coming season and theyre paying that to keep them sweet with the usual NDA

Tiss probably thinks Bill Gates had him sacked.

• Haha 2

I think the arguments of whether he was right or wrong, or whether people are misunderstanding him or not are almost irrelevant. The fact is if your in the public eye, tweet about corona virus/masks and equate it to Anne Frank surely you can’t  be surprised when it attracts attention...some negative. Even if they’re idiots...you know a post like that is going to attract attention surely??? Maybe he could have made a point about masks without the Anne Frank analogy. I’ll be honest whenever  there is some burning domestic issue my first thought isn’t ‘What’s Matt got to say about this?’...but that’s just me..i’m A simple man...I go straight to Freddie Flintoff.

Edited by wadesmith

2 hours ago, SaintsLoyal said:

One hell of a line up this Saturday ! Pulis Sherwood 😄

There must be a lot of legal bits and bobs going on with the sacked bunch, i suspect their contracts ran to end of this coming season and theyre paying that to keep them sweet with the usual NDA

So no black woman then. Lord duckhunter will be chuffed. Looks like as I suggested earlier the gig was below anyone decent.

Just saw a YouTube video about the Le Tissier situation that was a bit of a wake up call, not sure if anyone else has seen it (won't share at the risk of breaking forum guidelines).

I think this really highlights how shameful some of this business is which Le Tiss has gotten himself involved with - the video itself is merely talking about a link in the video description.

The link then takes you to a non-YouTube, "Free Speech" (In this case - code for the rampant Holocaust denialism in the comments) oriented video platform called BitChute, where there's a whole host of unabashed Nazi sympathisers who's remarks make the stuff MLT has been retweeting look PC by comparison.

Not that I think Le Tissier has intended to create a link with these groups of people, but even in the best case scenario he was being extremely ignorant and naive and it reflects incredibly badly on the club given he's our new Ambassador.

Frankly I'm surprised the YouTube algorithm had even recommended the original video in the first place, and its really bad when you consider it could be going out to a number of younger impressionable saints fans.

22 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

Just seen that the line-up for tomorrow is Merson, Sherwood, Pulis, Glen Johnson and Morrison. Are they renaming it: Skate Saturday? FFS.

Sherwood and Pulis, what a bizarre pair of replacements. If the complaint was that the show had gone stale and needed freshening up then those two are hardly going to inject fresh energy. Perhaps it’s just a one-off thing.

According to Jeff birds don’t want the gig because of criticism of their performance.  Ah, poor little things, if they can’t stand the heat probably best they stay out of this particular kitchen until they realise it’s part & parcel of a media career. 

Reading Jeff’s other comments, don’t think he’ll be around for much longer. Once he goes, that’s it, finito. 

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

According to Jeff birds don’t want the gig because of criticism of their performance.  Ah, poor little things, if they can’t stand the heat probably best they stay out of this particular kitchen until they realise it’s part & parcel of a media career. 

Reading Jeff’s other comments, don’t think he’ll be around for much longer. Once he goes, that’s it, finito. 

You've handled a small line up change on a TV football chat show with slightly less dignity than a 14 year old girl sobbing over Robbie leaving Take That. Absolutely pathetic.

Man up you blubbering ponce.

Edited by CB Fry

Not sure Soccer Saturday will last with that line up. No one except Jeff with any sort of personality. That type of show is surely all about personalities. As for Glen Johnson, he appeared half asleep most of the time and was caught napping more than once in the course of his analysis......

5 hours ago, SupersonicSaint said:

Frankly I'm surprised the YouTube algorithm had even recommended the original video in the first place, and its really bad when you consider it could be going out to a number of younger impressionable saints fans.

Surely censorship is not the way forward if that's what your suggesting? Certain political parties are advocating voting for 16 year old's but you are suggesting they need to be "protected" from idea's which are not following your view of normal?

I may disagree with Matt but censoring discussion isn't the answer surely?

54 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Not sure Soccer Saturday will last with that line up. No one except Jeff with any sort of personality. That type of show is surely all about personalities. As for Glen Johnson, he appeared half asleep most of the time and was caught napping more than once in the course of his analysis......

Johnson isn’t particularly good, they’ve given him long enough to find his feet, it hasn’t happened.

I have to say I thought Pulis was ok. Particularly liked when he “corrected” Jason Tindall who doesn’t think there’s any difference between being an assistant and being a manager.

2 hours ago, Pedantic Pete said:

Surely censorship is not the way forward if that's what your suggesting? Certain political parties are advocating voting for 16 year old's but you are suggesting they need to be "protected" from idea's which are not following your view of normal?

I may disagree with Matt but censoring discussion isn't the answer surely?

I didn't suggest it at all, but I did expect it. YouTube have a reputation for cracking down on innocuous stuff so I'm surprised on my front page of Youtube i was 2 clicks away from actual Nazis given that Youtube are so hawkish on censorship and being advertiser friendly.

And I should clarify I don't mean Nazis as in the way Extinction Rebellion nutters think anyone to the right of Keir Starmer is a "Nazi", I mean people who agree with Hitler.

I'm sure that accounts on there have been censored or banned (not promoted) for a lot less.

1 hour ago, SupersonicSaint said:

I didn't suggest it at all, but I did expect it. YouTube have a reputation for cracking down on innocuous stuff so I'm surprised on my front page of Youtube i was 2 clicks away from actual Nazis given that Youtube are so hawkish on censorship and being advertiser friendly.

And I should clarify I don't mean Nazis as in the way Extinction Rebellion nutters think anyone to the right of Keir Starmer is a "Nazi", I mean people who agree with Hitler.

I'm sure that accounts on there have been censored or banned (not promoted) for a lot less.

Whats that got to do with Matt then? He never promoted that?

Early days for the new panel yet,  but there was absolutely zero chemistry between any of the new faces, or Geoff for that matter.   Personally I think that if you get rid of 3 of the 5 personalities that make up a successful show, you'd just as well go the whole hog and get rid of the whole lot and devise a whole new format and new show.  Today's offering was very tepid at best,  I'll probably be one of those viewers switching off. 

Edited by Micky

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

Might be purely financial , get rid of people on £500 000 a year contracts and employ a rotation of guests on pay as you go contracts.

Not so sure, they all had nine months left on their contracts so had to be paid up.

If that was the case they would have done this season then not have their deals renewed hence they get a proper send off and everyone comes out of it looking good. As it is Sky look guilty of a knee jerk reaction to be seen to be doing the right thing. They haven’t saved money and they’ve pissed off a fair number of their customers.

I feel sorry for Scott Minto as well, he was decent and still young. God only knows why he was axed as a presenter. Miles better than Prutton.

Edited by beatlesaint

17 hours ago, Pedantic Pete said:

Whats that got to do with Matt then? He never promoted that?

You just feel he'd be better served not going off on one via twitter rather than making headlines about the holocaust and making his case a topic of discussion among those crazies. As he's someone who's both dealt with tabloid press as a high-profile player and worked at Sky for so long you'd think he'd have understood his platform and had a bit of common sense drilled in.

Edited by SupersonicSaint