Coronavirus

whelk

3 hours ago, CollinsDic said:

If you research and dig deep enough, away from BBC, CNN, The Sun etc., you will find enough evidence to prove this is all a sham. But, do not be a lazybones and ask me to produce it all for you. Get off yer azz and learn for yourself. Besides, I am not going to waste hours of my time to teach you, for you to just turn around and poo poo it all because the truth scares you so much. Yes, governments/The Elite who control them lie. It's a known fact they lie to cover up stuff and or get what they want. Are you still convinced JFK was shot by a lone gunman?

I was with you until the bit about JFK. 

6 hours ago, CollinsDic said:

If you research and dig deep enough, away from BBC, CNN, The Sun etc., you will find enough evidence to prove this is all a sham. But, do not be a lazybones and ask me to produce it all for you.  

You don't produce it because you know any 'evidence' you come up with will just be laughed at.

Go on, give it a go. I'm genuinely interested in what has convinced you that it's a big conspiracy and why governments around the world want to close down businesses and pay people to do nothing.

25 minutes ago, aintforever said:

You don't produce it because you know any 'evidence' you come up with will just be laughed at.

Go on, give it a go. I'm genuinely interested in what has convinced you that it's a big conspiracy and why governments around the world want to close down businesses and pay people to do nothing.

Not a chance I will waste my time on you. Your closed mind attitude is clear to me thanks. Not worth the bother. Nothing I can say or show you will ever get thru as the Goggle box has you brainwashed.

• Haha 5

43 minutes ago, CollinsDic said:

Not a chance I will waste my time on you. Your closed mind attitude is clear to me thanks. Not worth the bother. Nothing I can say or show you will ever get thru as the Goggle box has you brainwashed.

You should be a lawyer. 'It's really blatantly obvious that my client is innocent your honour. If you can't see that with your closed mind then I'm not going to bother explaining it to you. You need to do your own research.'

10 hours ago, CollinsDic said:

If you research and dig deep enough, away from BBC, CNN, The Sun etc., you will find enough evidence to prove this is all a sham. But, do not be a lazybones and ask me to produce it all for you. Get off yer azz and learn for yourself. Besides, I am not going to waste hours of my time to teach you, for you to just turn around and poo poo it all because the truth scares you so much. Yes, governments/The Elite who control them lie. It's a known fact they lie to cover up stuff and or get what they want. Are you still convinced JFK was shot by a lone gunman?

If the Elite control everything why do they let the 'truth' get on the internet. You can't search for Winnie the Pooh in China but you can find the 'truth' just lying around on the internet for anyone to find. That's so careless, or is it. Or do they want you to believe corona is a scam in order to groom you into an Elite brainwashed zombie agent.

11 hours ago, CollinsDic said:

Legend please post more. 

4 hours ago, CollinsDic said:

Keep hunting the paedophiles at Pizza Hut

Edited by whelk

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I am clearing out my children's books and came across Chicken Licken.

Spoiler Alert! 

He gets hit on the head by a falling acorn and runs around shouting "The sky is falling in" until he and his friends get eaten by a fox.

31 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Hmmm, it’s almost as if we were right to stick to the cautious lockdown easing plan and not rush to open everything immediately.

It is like me listening to my security guy about running the operation. Ultra cautious and risk adverse which comes with role but equally we would go under if I let him make all the decisions.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Patrick Bateman said:

Yes, because humans are f**king idiots and don't listen to guidance. How hard is it ffs? 

Hi, i'm Star from Walsall, i'm a non binary person currently identifying as a woman. My partner is going through gender reassignment. I work in a factory making vegan food and am allowed to take 5 meals home a week. As other people have touched he food that may have had covid will my partner be able to continue with thier transition if he tests postive for covid but we identify as non covid carrying males? The guidance isn't clear. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, whelk said:

It is like me listening to my security guy about running the operation. Ultra cautious and risk adverse which comes with role but equally we would go under if I let him make all the decisions.

Aren’t we currently on course for the largest economic growth in the Uk since WWII?

So Indian variant is not hospitalising many but spreading in an northern town amongst predominantly Asian community who have low vaccine take up rate.

No evidence the vaccine doesn’t work against it either so why are people pissing their pants about it? Are the media now just addicted to Covid drama to fill the news.

20 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Surely that's better than the alternative ;) 

After a job western? All I have so far on your skills cycles, sweeps and is really shit at solving crimes

56 minutes ago, whelk said:

So Indian variant is not hospitalising many but spreading in an northern town amongst predominantly Asian community who have low vaccine take up rate.

No evidence the vaccine doesn’t work against it either so why are people pissing their pants about it? Are the media now just addicted to Covid drama to fill the news.

There does seem to be some evidence that antibodies are less effective against the India strain: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01274-7

Think the caution is more to do with what we don't know than what we do, it takes time to do enough tests to be sure. Looks to me like the more it spreads, the more it mutates and there is probably a real risk of a mutation that could render the vaccines ineffective and put us back to square one.

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

There does seem to be some evidence that antibodies are less effective against the India strain: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01274-7

Think the caution is more to do with what we don't know than what we do, it takes time to do enough tests to be sure. Looks to me like the more it spreads, the more it mutates and there is probably a real risk of a mutation that could render the vaccines ineffective and put us back to square one.

they've said that about all the other strains too.

18 minutes ago, aintforever said:

It'll be like the annual flu vaccination. Every year there is an updated vaccine which is designed to tackle the most prevalent or dangerous strains. Agree in principle though - the less virus you have circulating means less chance of really nasty mutations occurring.   

7 minutes ago, aintforever said:

What, the one in the second wave that killed more people than the first despite all the new treatments and our better understanding of the virus?

How’s the super mutation Finnish variant or the super transmissible South African variant getting on?

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

How’s the super mutation Finnish variant or the super transmissible South African variant getting on?

Dunno, there are loads of variants. Why don't you go back on the Daily Mail site and see what they are pissing their pants over today?

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Dunno, there are loads of variants. Why don't you go back on the Daily Mail site and see what they are pissing their pants over today?

You're the one pissing your pants sunshine. No surprises you didnt grasp that though

49 minutes ago, aintforever said:

What, the one in the second wave that killed more people than the first despite all the new treatments and our better understanding of the virus?

Tell me more about all of the winters we’d experienced with covid. 

4 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Tell me more about all of the winters we’d experienced with covid. 

Obviously winter made it worse, I never said it didn't. The UK variant is causing problems all round the World - it can't be winter everywhere.

1 hour ago, aintforever said:

Better lock down now then since we’re  going to have to lock down anyway.

If you keep looking hard enough you’ll eventually find something. If this variant is more transmissible and less deadly then shouldn’t we encourage it?

Besides, this year of lockdown has done more than enough damage already. Another one would result in riots and bricks through windows.

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

If this variant is more transmissible and less deadly then shouldn’t we encourage it? 

I'm not qualified to say, I expect you are not either, and I'm fucking positive Turkish isn't.

They do seem to be over-cautious but I expect there is good reason. It looks to me like it's a race against time, vaccines v variants. The more it spreads/mutates the less time we have to develop updated vaccines for next winter. No one wants lockdowns and the SAGE people are well aware of the negative impact of lock-downs.

2 hours ago, buctootim said:

It'll be like the annual flu vaccination. Every year there is an updated vaccine which is designed to tackle the most prevalent or dangerous strains. Agree in principle though - the less virus you have circulating means less chance of really nasty mutations occurring.   

Hang on...  Weren't you telling us the other day that the more the virus mutates, the less 'nasty' it becomes (a sentiment I agree with to be fair), due to the fact that the virus's main goal is to replicate / reproduce, rather than kill off its hosts?

Surely the more mutations there are, then the chance of a really nasty mutation occurring actually diminishes?

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Hang on...  Weren't you telling us the other day that the more the virus mutates, the less 'nasty' it becomes (a sentiment I agree with to be fair), due to the fact that the virus's main goal is to replicate / reproduce, rather than kill off its hosts?

Surely the more mutations there are, then the chance of a really nasty mutation occurring actually diminishes?

No, that’s not how evolution works. After a protracted period of time, the more benign variants are likely to kill fewer of their hosts and therefore survive longer and spread more.

Any given mutation could be either more or less dangerous than the last, we’re better off having as few of them as possible. 

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

No, that’s not how evolution works. After a protracted period of time, the more benign variants are likely to kill fewer of their hosts and therefore survive longer and spread more.

Any given mutation could be either more or less dangerous than the last, we’re better off having as few of them as possible. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7095397/

(Selective quotes)

Moreover, the role of natural selection in virus evolution is not easily predicted, rendering rampant speculation around the evolutionary trajectory of a virus during a nascent outbreak investigation especially problematic. The pervasive claim that a virus will mutate to become more virulent during an outbreak is particularly illustrative of this phenomenon, even though this spectre of a ‘super killer’ virus is baseless. In reality, the evolution of virulence is a highly complex topic that has inspired extensive research on evolutionary theory and debate6. Mutations can also make a virus either more or less virulent. A common idea is that virulence will only change — either upwards or downwards — if it increases the transmission rate of the virus, which effectively means an increase in the number of virus ‘offspring’. However, high virulence may (although by no means always) reduce transmissibility if the host is too sick to expose others.

So, could SARS-CoV-2 adapt in the same way? Yes. Will adaptation precipitate more deaths? Unlikely.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

You'd need an awful lot of unlikely mutations to occur at the same time for it to get really nasty  - for example it becomes very transmissable, has a long period where the infected person is viraemic but has no symptoms (therefore takes no action to prevent infection of others) and then suddenly causes some kind of major illness which quickly causes death. So yes very highly unlikely but not impossible. Much much less likely than it simply becoming a mild illness   

• Like 1

My only point on this is why the hell have we kept an open border with India for so long, and allowed travel via the Turkish loophole. Crazy mismanagement by the government. 

2 hours ago, Weston Super Saint said:

That’s different to the point we were discussing. Mutations won’t necessarily be more or less dangerous. It’s a long haul trend that the most infectious strain which takes the longest to kill its host (if at all) will become dominant.

As an example, if giraffes with longer necks are more likely to survive, that doesn’t mean a giraffe is more likely to give birth to a calf with a longer neck.

2 hours ago, egg said:

My only point on this is why the hell have we kept an open border with India for so long, and allowed travel via the Turkish loophole. Crazy mismanagement by the government. 

Don’t blame me for this 

7 hours ago, RedArmy said:

These variants really do have a habit of turning up at the same time as the next step of reopening don’t they? 

And why might the government welcome that "coincidence"? Do you think Boris gets all excited about the prospect of another round of furlough, grants, loans, and lost tax revenues? It's obvious to anyone sensible that he wants this shit over as much as the rest of us. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RedArmy said:

These variants really do have a habit of turning up at the same time as the next step of reopening don’t they? 

Indian variant spreads 50% - 60% faster (on another note, are we allowed to keep referring to the UK, South African, Brazilian & Indian variants, but we're racists that should be hung if we call it the Chinese virus?)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57119579

Headlines from the article :

• It (possibly?) spreads a 'smidge' faster than the Kent variant!
  • Sage are worried that at 40% more spreadable, pressure would be put on the NHS
  • 36.2 million first doses of vaccine
  • 19.3 million second doses (all 'vulnerable' people)
  • 50k people currently infected - down from 1.25 million at the start of the year
  • 1000 people in hospital - down from circa 25k(?) in January (but they don't give that figure, so it's a rough estimate based on hospitalisations per 100k people at the time)
  • The much vaunted "herd immunity" was achieved many weeks ago

Anyone know how the NHS will become over run with this variant?  If it spreads 50% faster than the old one - which spread pretty quickly anyway! - how are people going to be ending up in hospital if all the 'vulnerable' people have had two vaccines and pretty much everyone over 40 has had one?  Unless this variant is more 'potent' for those aged 18 - 40 and will put more of them in hospital???

• Like 1

12 hours ago, egg said:

It's becoming clear that we should just be fucking off international travel altogether this year and only allowing trade to occur. No-one NEEDS to go abroad for a holiday.