Coronavirus

whelk

9 minutes ago, The Cat said:

No covid patients in Southampton General now. Current estimates are that there are 8 active cases in Southampton and 5 in Eastleigh. 

We shutdown to protect the NHS. It's clear that has been achieved. Vaccine take up still high, transmission now proved to be blunted by it. It's surely time to bring forward some more easing of restrictions. 

But the Indian variant!

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

No covid patients in Southampton General now. Current estimates are that there are 8 active cases in Southampton and 5 in Eastleigh. 

We shutdown to protect the NHS. It's clear that has been achieved. Vaccine take up still high, transmission now proved to be blunted by it. It's surely time to bring forward some more easing of restrictions. 

The vaccines minister not VT has said today that there is still a risk if two vaccinated people meet up. Poppycock if you ask me. Agree that no hurry to open the borders but clearly working

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

No fun allowed. Not ever. Never.

At a time when hundreds of thousands of Indians are sat in slums, desperately gasping for oxygen because the health system has collapsed and there’s literally no point in going to a hospital, you’re upset that you might (it’s a hypothetical news article remember) have to finish your pints at the pub before you go to a sports venue?

In your view, not being permitted to queue for 15 minutes for a pint of lukewarm, overpriced p*ss at half time equates to never having any fun again for the rest of your life?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

At a time when hundreds of thousands of Indians are sat in slums, desperately gasping for oxygen because the health system has collapsed and there’s literally no point in going to a hospital, you’re upset that you might (it’s a hypothetical news article remember) have to finish your pints at the pub before you go to a sports venue?

In your view, not being permitted to queue for 15 minutes for a pint of lukewarm, overpriced p*ss at half time equates to never having any fun again for the rest of your life?

It’s the fucking principle. Indian comparison is pointless. 7 deaths yesterday. We are mostly vaccinated. 
We know you would vote for masks forever.

11 minutes ago, whelk said:

It’s the fucking principle. Indian comparison is pointless. 7 deaths yesterday. We are mostly vaccinated. 
We know you would vote for masks forever.

Agreed. I bet Indians weren't moaning a couple of months ago when they could pack 60000 into stadiums for 20/20 games. 

Hardly out fault that their rates have rocketed. I doubt the Kiwi's were thinking about our second wave when they were down the pub over Christmas.

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Agreed. I bet Indians weren't moaning a couple of months ago when they could pack 60000 into stadiums for 20/20 games. 

Hardly out fault that their rates have rocketed. I doubt the Kiwi's were thinking about our second wave when they were down the pub over Christmas.

India, NZ and UK are all quite different situations though. UK has high vaccination levels, NZ has very effective track and trace, quarantine and border systems whilst India has neither plus a creaking infrastructure 

29 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

India of course being a pillar of health care, living conditions and life expectancy before the pandemic started. 

Their health system has collapsed because it’s shite not because covid is out of control. 

47 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

How Dare you insult me!

I rarely touch alcohol and I don't care if I never go into a pub again. 

But I'm old enough to know that life has to go on somehow. This situation is nothing to what my parents and grandparents had to endure. Even in London during the Blitz whilst bombs were dropping all around people were allowed to laugh and have fun.

What are you, some kind of modern Puritan? Whatever happens in India is not my fault and not my responsibility.

10 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

How Dare you insult me!

I rarely touch alcohol and I don't care if I never go into a pub again. 

But I'm old enough to know that life has to go on somehow. This situation is nothing to what my parents and grandparents had to endure. Even in London during the Blitz whilst bombs were dropping all around people were allowed to laugh and have fun.

What are you, some kind of modern Puritan? Whatever happens in India is not my fault and not my responsibility.

Luxury , we had to lick road clean before we had fun. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, whelk said:

It’s the fucking principle.

Yes it is the principle. We’re now in a far better position than most of the rest of the world and people are still acting as if their lives are being ruined by some horrible act of oppression. Around the world health systems are collapsing, people are dying in the streets in their tens of thousands but we aren’t. Instead of being delighted by that, people are still outraged at shrinking list of things we can’t do.

48 minutes ago, whelk said:

We know you would vote for masks forever

I’ve explained masks to you in very simple terms on numerous occasions. If you still don’t get it, I can’t help you.

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Whatever happens in India is not my fault and not my responsibility.

No but maybe you could stop for a second to acknowledge that maybe yours isn’t the life being ruined. That maybe only being able to drink in the pub before and after a match but not at half time is a burden you can shoulder for a few months and doesn’t constitute, "no more fun, never, ever!"?

36 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I bet Indians weren't moaning a couple of months ago when they could pack 60000 into stadiums for 20/20 games. 

And look where they are now. Yes I know we’re mostly vaccinated and won’t end up with anything like that situation but would the tiniest bit of caution regarding mass gatherings at sporting and music venues really be a terrible idea, in the short term?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

And look where they are now. Yes I know we’re mostly vaccinated and won’t end up with anything like that situation but would the tiniest bit of caution regarding mass gatherings at sporting and music venues really be a terrible idea, in the short term?

It's estimated there are 7 people in Southampton with Covid. There's no one in the General with it. The NHS has been protected, vaccines are working and studies are showing they protect against new variants.

The entertainment industry has been decimated by lockdowns. Data from test events shows zero transmission. Open them up now, let people have fun and the allow the industry to recover. 

It's been over a year since anyone went to a proper gig. I'm absolutely bursting to go out and see live music.

As for sporting events it's absolutely insane that I can't walk up the road and watch non-league football. It's even ridiculous that we can't get 10k or more in a stadium for Saints games. 

A lot of people are now sick and tired of sitting in their front rooms every night. Covid is pretty much over in this country now. Let's have some fun, we deserve it.

15 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It's estimated there are 7 people in Southampton with Covid. There's no one in the General with it. The NHS has been protected, vaccines are working and studies are showing they protect against new variants.

The entertainment industry has been decimated by lockdowns. Data from test events shows zero transmission. Open them up now, let people have fun and the allow the industry to recover. 

It's been over a year since anyone went to a proper gig. I'm absolutely bursting to go out and see live music.

As for sporting events it's absolutely insane that I can't walk up the road and watch non-league football. It's even ridiculous that we can't get 10k or more in a stadium for Saints games. 

A lot of people are now sick and tired of sitting in their front rooms every night. Covid is pretty much over in this country now. Let's have some fun, we deserve it.

I agree with that, I want everything open too. All I’m advocating for is a modicum of patience and caution and not continuous negativity about what we haven’t got yet.

I don’t get this inverted logic whenever good news is announced. The correct response to deaths plummeting into single figures is, "brilliant! As a country we’ve nailed it, we’re well on track to getting everything open." Instead people are somehow arguing that we’re doing it wrong and that the ever dwindling death count is proof that we should be doing everything quicker.

It’s the same false logic as people who don’t vaccinate their kids against measles because when was the last time you heard of someone dying from measles. Or saying that road deaths are at their lowest rates ever so why the f**k are we still wearing seatbelts. The principle that because everything is going so well, we must be doing it wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Weren’t we told only a few weeks ago there would Be a third wave in the late summer worse than the last one? This despite last summer there being hardly any infections and this summer everyone will have been vaccinated? Keep wearing those masks

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

No but maybe you could stop for a second to acknowledge that maybe yours isn’t the life being ruined. That maybe only being able to drink in the pub before and after a match but not at half time is a burden you can shoulder for a few months and doesn’t constitute, "no more fun, never, ever!"?

I’ve explained it before, I don’t give a toss about pubs or being able to get a drink at half time or any other time. I can have fun without booze. I am not a slave to alcohol. 

These control freaks have got their claws into us and they won’t let go. They’ve already taken away over a year of my and my wife’s lives which we won’t get back and we have very little time left.

Time to get on with living.

I agree with that, I want everything open too. All I’m advocating for is a modicum of patience and caution and not continuous negativity about what we haven’t got yet.

I don’t get this inverted logic whenever good news is announced. The correct response to deaths plummeting into single figures is, "brilliant! As a country we’ve nailed it, we’re well on track to getting everything open." Instead people are somehow arguing that we’re doing it wrong and that the ever dwindling death count is proof that we should be doing everything quicker.

It’s the same false logic as people who don’t vaccinate their kids against measles because when was the last time you heard of someone dying from measles. Or saying that road deaths are at their lowest rates ever so why the f**k are we still wearing seatbelts. The principle that because everything is going so well, we must be doing it wrong.

“and always keep a-hold of nurse for fear of finding something worse”

20 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’ve explained it before, I don’t give a toss about pubs or being able to get a drink at half time or any other time. I can have fun without booze. I am not a slave to alcohol. 

These control freaks have got their claws into us and they won’t let go. They’ve already taken away over a year of my and my wife’s lives which we won’t get back and we have very little time left.

I think they are probably being a bit over cautious but you just have to be patient, no one wants a lock down but unless you are an expert in epidemiology you are not really in a position to say they are wrong.

34 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

So why are you declaring, "no more fun. Never!" At something you don't even want to do? In what possible way does this very specific scenario constitute being controlled? Who stands to gain anything whatsoever by preventing people from gathering in concourse areas for a short period of time? What will you not be able to do in six weeks time that's going to negatively effect your life so strongly?

I don't know you, your age/health is none of my business and if you're as close to death as you're alluding to I genuinely sympathise. However, there an awful lot of people in their sixties and seventies who could die in a week with COVID or live another 20 years without it. Those are the people we've been trying to protect for the last year.

32 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

So why are you declaring, "no more fun. Never!" At something you don't even want to do? In what possible way does this very specific scenario constitute being controlled? Who stands to gain anything whatsoever by preventing people from gathering in concourse areas for a short period of time? What will you not be able to do in six weeks time that's going to negatively effect your life so strongly?

I don't know you, your age/health is none of my business and if you're as close to death as you're alluding to I genuinely sympathise. However, there an awful lot of people in their sixties and seventies who could die in a week with COVID or live another 20 years without it. Those are the people we've been trying to protect for the last year.

Over 70’s have all been offered 2 doses by now, over 60’s will have been by June 21st. 

It’s time to go back to old normal. 

• Like 1

Control Freaks don’t do it for material rewards. They do it for the sense of power that it gives them.

In six weeks I still won’t be able to travel widely and freely. I shall have to make difficult decisions about making staff redundant. I shall have to try to work out how to repay debt that will take a decade or two to clear. And I shall have to do it without being paid myself for over a year.

You don’t prevent people dying by stopping them from living. These measures have made no difference to whether or not my wife or I would have died so don’t expect any thanks from me. 

Wait until you get old and then see how you feel about how much time you have left.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

28 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Over 70’s have all been offered 2 doses by now, over 60’s will have been by June 21st. 

It’s time to go back to old normal. 

15 million now full vaccinated, 34m has the first dose. Every variant so far proven to be unnecessary scare mongering. Let’s get back to business  

8 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Control Freaks don’t do it for material rewards. They do it for the sense of power that it gives them.

In six weeks I still won’t be able to travel widely and freely. I shall have to make difficult decisions about making staff redundant. I shall have to try to work out how to repay debt that will take a decade or two to clear. And I shall have to do it without being paid myself for over a year.

You don’t prevent people dying by stopping them from living. These measures have made no difference to whether or not my wife or I would have died so don’t expect any thanks from me. 

Wait until you get old and then see how you feel about how much time you have left.

I've not heard one person say why they feel that the "control freaks" would want to control them. "Sense of power" is not a credible explanation, or even an explanation at all - governments have power anyway. 

Governments don't want their society loafing about draining the public purse / increasing the borrowing. They want their society to grow the economy and pay into the public purse. The suggestion that governments want is locked away is daft and this "control" argument is bollocks. 

The voice of reason on this thread has been Lighthouse. He makes the valid point that you don't stop doing what's working because it's working. 

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

15 million now full vaccinated, 34m has the first dose. Every variant so far proven to be unnecessary scare mongering. Let’s get back to business  

My view is finish the 2nd doses for those who were on the initial vulnerable lists, and unless there a catastrophe in the meantime, get things opened. In the meantime people will work things out for themselves and use common sense. Let's be honest, most people are. I've had a family birthday gathering this week, mate over yesterday, parents and sister over today, I'm back in the office full time...life goes on and I only wear a mask in shops and common areas at work which ain't a hardship. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Governments don't want their society loafing about draining the public purse / increasing the borrowing. They want their society to grow the economy and pay into the public purse. The suggestion that governments want is locked away is daft and this "control" argument is bollocks. 

This. There is no government in the world who wants to pay people to sit on their arse at home watching Netflix. The paranoia of some people is hilarious.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, aintforever said:

This. There is no government in the world who wants to pay people to sit on their arse at home watching Netflix. The paranoia of some people is hilarious.

Yes, but that's what "they" want you to believe, or something.

Lighthouse must be baffled by Sophie Ridge’s questioning of Raab. 7 deaths against 450 a day from cancer yet two vaccinated people cannot hug each other? Are we over prioritising Covid?

25 minutes ago, aintforever said:

35 minutes ago, egg said:

I've not heard one person say why they feel that the "control freaks" would want to control them. "Sense of power" is not a credible explanation, or even an explanation at all - governments have power anyway. 

The voice of reason on this thread has been Lighthouse. He makes the valid point that you don't stop doing what's working because it's working. 

My view is finish the 2nd doses for those who were on the initial vulnerable lists, and unless there a catastrophe in the meantime, get things opened. In the meantime people will work things out for themselves and use common sense. Let's be honest, most people are. I've had a family birthday gathering this week, mate over yesterday, parents and sister over today, I'm back in the office full time...life goes on and I only wear a mask in shops and common areas at work which ain't a hardship. 

Lighthouse hasn’t been the voice of reason. He is the voice of extreme caution. We still wouldn’t be playing football with his logic - 22 players who have tested negative still shouldn’t be standing next to each other in a wall as they might kill their loved ones.

I don’t believe any conspiracy theories but govt too nervous to react to change roadmap when data clearly says we could change, Yes not huge and we can wait but each day people, are suffering from restrictions which are now clearly overkill

Edited by whelk

2 minutes ago, whelk said:

Lighthouse hasn’t been the voice of reason. He is the voice of extreme caution. We still wouldn’t be playing football with his logic - 22 players who have tested negative still shouldn’t be standing next to each other in a wall as they might kill their loved ones

You're reading what you want to read mate, not what's actually written. He said the below, and I agree to the extent only that we roll out dose 2 to those on the vulnerable list and then we open things up as planned. 

The daft thing is we are opening up and have more stages in the diary. We can meet friends and family, can go most places, can work, life can happen (sure, with moderation) but if you believe the whiners anyone would think we're under house arrest and will be forever. I can't be doing with the self pitying moaners - too much moaning and not enough getting on with what they can get on with. 

Lighthouse:

" I want everything open too. All I’m advocating for is a modicum of patience and caution and not continuous negativity about what we haven’t got yet.

I don’t get this inverted logic whenever good news is announced. The correct response to deaths plummeting into single figures is, "brilliant! As a country we’ve nailed it, we’re well on track to getting everything open." Instead people are somehow arguing that we’re doing it wrong and that the ever dwindling death count is proof that we should be doing everything quicker.

It’s the same false logic as people who don’t vaccinate their kids against measles because when was the last time you heard of someone dying from measles. Or saying that road deaths are at their lowest rates ever so why the f**k are we still wearing seatbelts. The principle that because everything is going so well, we must be doing it wrong."

8 minutes ago, egg said:

You're reading what you want to read mate, not what's actually written. He said the below, and I agree to the extent only that we roll out dose 2 to those on the vulnerable list and then we open things up as planned. 

The daft thing is we are opening up and have more stages in the diary. We can meet friends and family, can go most places, can work, life can happen (sure, with moderation) but if you believe the whiners anyone would think we're under house arrest and will be forever. I can't be doing with the self pitying moaners - too much moaning and not enough getting on with what they can get on with. 

Lighthouse:

" I want everything open too. All I’m advocating for is a modicum of patience and caution and not continuous negativity about what we haven’t got yet.

I don’t get this inverted logic whenever good news is announced. The correct response to deaths plummeting into single figures is, "brilliant! As a country we’ve nailed it, we’re well on track to getting everything open." Instead people are somehow arguing that we’re doing it wrong and that the ever dwindling death count is proof that we should be doing everything quicker.

It’s the same false logic as people who don’t vaccinate their kids against measles because when was the last time you heard of someone dying from measles. Or saying that road deaths are at their lowest rates ever so why the f**k are we still wearing seatbelts. The principle that because everything is going so well, we must be doing it wrong."

I am not referring specifically to his recent posts more his mindset throughout. That’s fair enough and we don’t agree especially about football not restarting -he is very cautious about the whole thing. 

13 minutes ago, whelk said:

Lighthouse hasn’t been the voice of reason. He is the voice of extreme caution. We still wouldn’t be playing football with his logic - 22 players who have tested negative still shouldn’t be standing next to each other in a wall as they might kill their loved ones.

I don’t believe any conspiracy theories but govt too nervous to react to change roadmap when data clearly says we could change, Yes not huge and we can wait but each day people, are suffering from restrictions which are now clearly overkill

This is not extreme caution, extreme caution would be still being in January lockdown levels with no plan on the horizon to come out. That’s quite clearly not the case, we’re opening up gradually in accordance with our vaccination rate. We’re aren’t there yet. We’re making excellent progress but we’ve still done hardly any under 40s and they’re the ones who socialise most in the largest numbers and busiest locations. Their risk of hospitalisation may be low but if they are all spreading COVID, they’re putting the one-dosers at roughly 40% risk of infection.

There is still risk. It’s dwindling every day we’re vaccinating people but it’s there and needs to be managed proportionately until it’s reached the point of being negligible.

Just now, whelk said:

I am not referring specifically to his recent posts more his mindset throughout. That’s fair enough and we don’t agree especially about football not restarting -he is very cautious about the whole thing. 

For me it's the inference people give that they can't do anything and that life is passing them by. Sure, some people (a small minority) cannot integrate for for the vast majority they can meet people and enjoy their company. I think it's a mindset thing, ie people focusing on what they can't do and getting frustrated by it, rather than getting on with what they can. 

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Control Freaks don’t do it for material rewards. They do it for the sense of power that it gives them

Baseless paranoia. If you think Boris is sat in Downing St. w*nking himself senseless over the idea that people can go to concerts and sport events but NOT meet in the concourse for a beer, you have some strange ideas. Of all the very specific ways of controlling the population, that's the most abstract niche I've ever heard.

In six weeks I still won’t be able to travel widely and freely.

A consequence of other countries behaviour and their own failings with regards to control and vaccination. Anywhere with a green or amber light we should be able to visit with very little by way of restriction.

I shall have to make difficult decisions about making staff redundant. I shall have to try to work out how to repay debt that will take a decade or two to clear. And I shall have to do it without being paid myself for over a year.

Look around the world. The countries who come out of this lightly, kept things open and lived a life of relative normality were the ones who locked down hard, early and nipped it in the bud. Australia and NZ have basically closed their borders for a year and have local lockdowns if cases numbers hit double figures. As a result they've been living relatively normal lives. Same with Taiwan, China, Singapore and a few others. Brazil and India.... cracked on as normal and the whole country's f**ked. 8 million made redundant in Brazil so far and it's not getting better any time soon.

https://www.batimes.com.ar/news/latin-america/brazil-registers-record-144-million-unemployed.phtml

You don’t prevent people dying by stopping them from living

A nice soundbite to put on Instagram but it doesn't mean much. You aren't being stopped from living.

These measures have made no difference to whether or not my wife or I would have died so don’t expect any thanks from me. 

That's just selfish. They've made a huge difference to the tens of thousands of 60 and 70 year olds who now aren't dead and will live another 20 years. You might not care if you'd died from COVID in the last year but many millions of older people do.

Wait until you get old and then see how you feel about how much time you have left

I'll refer you to my above answer. If I make it to 65, I'd quite like another 20 years, not days. If that means 3 months of gardening and watching Countdown whilst I wait for the storm to pass, so be it.

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, egg said:

I think it's a mindset thing, ie people focusing on what they can't do and getting frustrated by it, rather than getting on with what they can. 

Because the list of what I can do that I did pre covid is very very small compared to the list of what I can’t do. 

Why is that so hard for people to understand? 
Just because some people didn’t live life before the pandemic doesn’t mean it’s ok that we all know have to live like them. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Because the list of what I can do that I did pre covid is very very small compared to the list of what I can’t do. 

Why is that so hard for people to understand? 
Just because some people didn’t live life before the pandemic doesn’t mean it’s ok that we all know have to live like them. 

Because we're in a pandemic!! Why is it so hard that change was necessary? Why is it so hard to understand that it's not all about you? 

There's plenty you can do. Maybe stop whinging on a footy forum about what you can't do and enjoy what you can. Just a thought. 

2 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

No, we’re not. Even Mark Lighthouse Drakeford agrees with that. It’s finished in the UK. 

OK, I'll rephrase for the pedantic. We are coming out of a pandemic. Change was necessary to allow us to come out of it (we'd still be there if the changes you object to hadn't been made...hopefully you accept that). 

Anyway, I'm off to get a bit of shopping. I have a bouncy castle coming for my granddaughter. My parents and sister are coming over. We'll then enjoy each others company in the garden. 

My choice is to focus on what will be a bloody lovely day with family, or have a moan about what we can't do. 

It's mindset. Stop moaning and be grateful we've got to where we've got to. 

55 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

A nice soundbite to put on Instagram but it doesn't mean much. You aren't being stopped from living.

I am being stopped from having a life.

That's just selfish. They've made a huge difference to the tens of thousands of 60 and 70 year olds who now aren't dead and will live another 20 years. You might not care if you'd died from COVID in the last year but many millions of older people do.

I was never going to die from Covid. I don’t catch diseases. My lifestyle precludes it.

I'll refer you to my above answer. If I make it to 65, I'd quite like another 20 years, not days. If that means 3 months of gardening and watching Countdown whilst I wait for the storm to pass, so be it.

It’s not three months is it. It has been over a year now. Time to open up.

1 hour ago, egg said:

But many people can’t work!

And many more will not have a job to return to.

8 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

But many people can’t work!

And many more will not have a job to return to.

Your complaints today have all been about not being able to live the life that you actually can, albeit with some changes. 

Make your mind up what your issue is mate. 

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

This won’t quote properly but I just can’t make head nor tail of your position. The cognitive dissonance require to hold your views is just massive.

• You worry about other people and their jobs.... but don’t care about the disease because it apparently can’t kill you.
  • You’ve said that you’re a senior citizen and have a very short time left... but rather than accept that you’re in a high risk group, again you insist it can’t kill you.
  • You insist the government are trying to control you... by taking away trivial freedoms in beer queues, which are inconsequential to you anyway.
  • You say your lifestyle protects you from Covid which can literally only mean you’re a hermit with no physical contact with the outside world.... but you’re upset about the government taking away your right to meet in large groups and travel to foreign countries.

I’m sorry, I just don’t understand you. 

43 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Not sure the what the difficulty is. If you’re in your 70s and have illnesses you don’t have long to live. Maybe you’ve only recently retired and were looking forward to some amazing times after 50 years of work. Instead you are cooped up indoors isolated not only from your plans but your family. He has ever right to expect that after vulnerable groups have been vaccinated life would return to near normal . Brits staying indoors isn’t going to help India

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, buctootim said:

Not sure the what the difficulty is. If you’re in your 70s and have illnesses you don’t have long to live. Maybe you’ve only recently retired and were looking forward to some amazing times after 50 years of work. Instead you are cooped up indoors isolated not only from your plans but your family. He has ever right to expect that after vulnerable groups have been vaccinated life would return to near normal . Brits staying indoors isn’t going to help India

That would explain why someone with a terminal illness would risk getting Covid, if they’ve only got a couple of months left anyway, but not the rest of his arguments. Without wanting to sound too blunt, we shouldn’t be making decisions about running the country based on that those very specific circumstances affecting a small minority of the population with nothing to lose in the long term.

3 hours ago, egg said:

Playing devil's advocate....  In the UK there are an estimated 2.2 million 'vulnerable' people : https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronavirusandclinicallyextremelyvulnerablepeopleinengland/22februaryto27february2021

In England, at the time of sampling (one week prior to data collection), 2.2 million people were identified as being clinically extremely vulnerable (CEV) to severe impact from the coronavirus (COVID-19).

As of yesterday, just shy of 15 million people have had both vaccinations https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Assuming that the clinically vulnerable are vaccinated first - and frankly it would be mental if they aren't!! - then every single one of them must have had 2 jabs by now, so what exactly are we waiting for if the aim is to protect both them and the NHS?

11 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Playing devil's advocate....  In the UK there are an estimated 2.2 million 'vulnerable' people : https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/healthandsocialcare/conditionsanddiseases/bulletins/coronavirusandclinicallyextremelyvulnerablepeopleinengland/22februaryto27february2021

As of yesterday, just shy of 15 million people have had both vaccinations https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/details/vaccinations

Assuming that the clinically vulnerable are vaccinated first - and frankly it would be mental if they aren't!! - then every single one of them must have had 2 jabs by now, so what exactly are we waiting for if the aim is to protect both them and the NHS?

I know people in the initial 6 groups waiting for the second jab. It won't take long to get through them, and arguably through to group 9 with a second, then if we're not good to I'd be surprised. Indeed, if that happens before 21 June I'd imagine they'll bring it forward. 

This won’t quote properly but I just can’t make head nor tail of your position. The cognitive dissonance require to hold your views is just massive.

• You worry about other people and their jobs.... but don’t care about the disease because it apparently can’t kill you.
  • You’ve said that you’re a senior citizen and have a very short time left... but rather than accept that you’re in a high risk group, again you insist it can’t kill you.
  • You insist the government are trying to control you... by taking away trivial freedoms in beer queues, which are inconsequential to you anyway.
  • You say your lifestyle protects you from Covid which can literally only mean you’re a hermit with no physical contact with the outside world.... but you’re upset about the government taking away your right to meet in large groups and travel to foreign countries.

Worry is not the right word but I am considerate of the lives of other people and their jobs, not that they all have jobs.

Yes, I am nearly 72 but high risk group doesn’t include me. I know people who are in it. Over the last year I have lost several friends and colleagues, none of them to Covid. One in New Zealand (72) to a heart attack, one in his fifties to an aortic aneurysm, one at 55 to an aggressive brain tumour, several before then at 54, 61, 64 to various cancers. I know of no one in my small circle who has had Covid. Life is a risky business. None of us is going to come out of it alive. It is very unlikely to kill me but I know the risks and how to minimise them. 

Beer queues are indeed trivial and easily avoided. This lockdown has been a lot stricter than just that.

My lifestyle doesn’t involve closed contact with people and physical contact is extremely unlikely to give you the disease. This has been the mistake from the beginning. It’s an airborne infective agent. You won’t catch it outside and you won’t catch it by touching gate posts.

Did I mention large groups? Did I mention foreign countries?

42 minutes ago, egg said:

I know people in the initial 6 groups waiting for the second jab. It won't take long to get through them, and arguably through to group 9 with a second, then if we're not good to I'd be surprised. Indeed, if that happens before 21 June I'd imagine they'll bring it forward. 

Yes, the vaccination programme has been very impressive and the sooner the world gets some protection the better. Personally I can’t see the date of 21st June being brought forward because too many things have to be done before then but some measures could surely be relaxed now with no increase in perceived threats.

I don’t play golf and have no interest in it but why were golf courses closed?

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Yes, the vaccination programme has been very impressive and the sooner the world gets some protection the better. Personally I can’t see the date of 21st June being brought forward because too many things have to be done before then but some measures could surely be relaxed now with no increase in perceived threats.

I don’t play golf and have no interest in it but why were golf courses closed?

Some measures are being relaxed before 21 June, there is a road map and it's happening in stages.

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Some measures are being relaxed before 21 June, there is a road map and it's happening in stages.

That’s good to hear. What are they because a good the government the dates are ‘not before’ 17th May and not before 21st June.