GB News

whelk

It looks a lot cheaper than I imagined. I obviously know it is not for the likes of me but I did think it was going to look shiny and slick, with some nice whizzy graphics etc.

At the moment it looks like a TV channel that has been created during week six of The Apprentice.

31 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

It looks a lot cheaper than I imagined. I obviously know it is not for the likes of me but I did think it was going to look shiny and slick, with some nice whizzy graphics etc.

At the moment it looks like a TV channel that has been created during week six of The Apprentice.

Dont know anything about proprietors but cannot listen to Dan Wooton even though on lockdown restrictions we probably agree

15 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Had a quick look last night and it was Dan Wooton speaking to some "expert" about Harry and Meghan.

Cutting-edge stuff.

21 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Agree I'm surprised by how cheap it looks to be honest. The lighting seems weird and the sound and with everything zoomed in it looks very small and insular. It gives the impression it's like a bunch of people playing at being on the telly. Not sure it's for me which is a shame because the media landscape definitely needs some alternative points of view. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Agree I'm surprised by how cheap it looks to be honest. The lighting seems weird and the sound and with everything zoomed in it looks very small and insular. It gives the impression it's like a bunch of people playing at being on the telly. Not sure it's for me which is a shame because the media landscape definitely needs some alternative points of view. 

Aren't some of the points they will be making already covered off in the Mail, Express, Standard, Sun, Telegraph,  Times, Sky News and Talksport?

There's a lot of right or centre right media outlets already (granted not all their content is of that persuasion however their editorial output generally is) and all the people on the channel have already had reasonably high profile careers for other news agencies where they have already had a voice.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Aren't some of the points they will be making already covered off in the Mail, Express, Standard, Sun, Telegraph,  Times, Sky News and Talksport?

There's a lot of right or centre right media outlets already (granted not all their content is of that persuasion however their editorial output generally is) and all the people on the channel have already had reasonably high profile careers for other news agencies where they have already had a voice.

Maybe I should have clarified and said broadcast media. None of them are TV news channels apart from sky news and you're not ever going to get me to agree that that is in any way centre right. 

I like the idea of a television channel whose editorial output is about having pride in your country or at least being positive about its successes and believing that this country is generally a pretty great place to live. Andrew Neil is correct when he says that pretty much every TV news outlet (certainly channel 4, BBC and sky news) view things from a certain perspective so it would be nice to have alternative views aired in a professional way. I don't like this channel though, it looks pretty rubbish. 

Edited by hypochondriac

59 minutes ago, The Cat said:

The Times, Sky news & Talk sport are not right or centre right. 

The standard is pinko, with The Mail & Telegraph rapidly heading that way. 

Unlike the BBC it’ll live or die by commercial considerations and you won’t face jail if you refuse to pay for it. So it’s a yes from me. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Unlike the BBC it’ll live or die by commercial considerations and you won’t face jail if you refuse to pay for it. So it’s a yes from me. 

Still looks a bit rubbish though at the moment don't you think? Particularly the morning show set which is basically just a desk and three people in front of a camera. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe I should have clarified and said broadcast media. None of them are TV news channels apart from sky news and you're not ever going to get me to agree that that is in any way centre right. 

I like the idea of a television channel whose editorial output is about having pride in your country or at least being positive about its successes and believing that this country is generally a pretty great place to live. Andrew Neil is correct when he says that pretty much every TV news outlet (certainly channel 4, BBC and sky news) view things from a certain perspective so it would be nice to have alternative views aired in a professional way. I don't like this channel though, it looks pretty rubbish. 

Surely the quality of the debate far outweighs how it appears on a superficial level? 

4 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

Surely the quality of the debate far outweighs how it appears on a superficial level? 

I think both are important. The "voice" of TV news imo has at least some influence on society and I'd like to see different opinions expressed in mainstream TV news to a greater extent. 

Like I said though I don't think this has been a good start at all. I have no idea how someone like Dan Wooton or whatever his name is is going to sustain a daily show simply talking with guests like Rod liddle who already largely agree with him. What made piers Morgan popular on breakfast telly was that he was frequently confronted by people who vehemently disagreed with him and they were able to hash it out love on air. This just seems like having a bunch of people with alternative viewpoints who mostly agree with each other already. Why would anyone bother tuning on every day to watch that? 

Fair enough.

Seems to me that starting a new national TV news channel in an age where fewer and fewer people consume their news that way isn't a particularly good business decision. I'm actually pretty intrigued to see how it pans out within that climate because traditional broadcast media is going the same way as print with dwindling audiences.

The rolling tv news channels in this country have such small audiences and that will presumably be less as more and more people go back to work as covid eases. 

3 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Fair enough.

Seems to me that starting a new national TV news channel in an age where fewer and fewer people consume their news that way isn't a particularly good business decision. I'm actually pretty intrigued to see how it pans out within that climate because traditional broadcast media is going the same way as print with dwindling audiences.

The rolling tv news channels in this country have such small audiences and that will presumably be less as more and more people go back to work as covid eases. 

I think it depends how they measure success. If they get it on YouTube and on social media and breakthrough in that way then the TV channel becomes less relevant. I do question the strategy of going for a costly TV channel though when the likes of lbc or talk radio do the same thing on a presumably smaller budget. 

Still looks a bit rubbish though at the moment don't you think? Particularly the morning show set which is basically just a desk and three people in front of a camera. 

I haven’t really watched. I saw a bit of Dan Wooton but his voice does my fucking head in. I barely ever watch live tv and certainly hardly watch the news anymore, so there’s an opportunity to win me over.

If they ask people questions, listen to the answer and then subsequently ask the next question based on the discussion, then I may watch regularly. A right wing host asking gotcha questions and imposing their opinions on the guest is just the same as a leftie doing it.

28 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I haven’t really watched. I saw a bit of Dan Wooton but his voice does my fucking head in. I barely ever watch live tv and certainly hardly watch the news anymore, so there’s an opportunity to win me over.

If they ask people questions, listen to the answer and then subsequently ask the next question based on the discussion, then I may watch regularly. A right wing host asking gotcha questions and imposing their opinions on the guest is just the same as a leftie doing it.

He had really obvious lipstick and eye liner on earlier which just looked bizarre. 

7 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Stupid comment. 

Why is it?

News and views have to be delivered with due impartiality to meet Ofcom requirements. This can be achieved over the schedule, so you can have programmes that have a bias as long as it's balanced out, to a degree, somewhere in the schedule. Look at LBC.

That is the current position, the tories are looking at changing this and scrapping the due impartiality rule. Which will mean that a station can have a political identity and deliver news accordingly. This will be a big mistake in my opinion and really stoke up the culture wars. 

Edited by Fan The Flames

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

Why is it?

News and views have to be delivered with due impartiality to meet Ofcom requirements. This can be achieved over the schedule, so you can have programmes that have a bias as long as it's balanced out, to a degree, somewhere in the schedule. Look at LBC.

That is the current position, the tories are looking at changing this and scrapping the due impartiality rule. Which will mean that a station can have a political identity and deliver news accordingly. This will be a big mistake in my opinion and really stoke up the culture wars. 

It's stupid because Andrew Neil has said repeatedly that it's not his intention for gb news to be a politically partisan right wing news channel like fox news. 

Had a glance last night, it was like some sort of school TV project.

Two people were bumbling along over the top of each other via appalling audio on a set fashioned from elements recovered from a fly-tipping incident - they occasionally cut to graphics that didn't work.

Any actual content was lost in the mediocrity.

2 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Andrew Neil won't be there forever and there will be other players that if allowed, will want to go down the Fox news right wing shock jock road, and in my opinion that will be a bad thing for Britain.

Why would it be a”bad thing”. There is an off button. I wouldn’t think a leftie news channel was a “bad thing” I just wouldn’t watch it.

The only “bad thing” is forcing  people to pay for something they  don’t want to watch. 

51 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Why would it be a”bad thing”. There is an off button. I wouldn’t think a leftie news channel was a “bad thing” I just wouldn’t watch it.

The only “bad thing” is forcing  people to pay for something they  don’t want to watch. 

Clearly a certain section won’t watch it, but it will only stoke the flames for those interested in far right propaganda, which is not a good thing as we have more than enough of it here as it is. You believe in democracy I take it? How can a democracy thrive when there is such a great imbalance in our media? I know that you would like to think that our media in controlled by “pinkos” but it really isn’t. The press is mostly right wing. A lot of radio is right wing. You’d be hard pressed to find much in the way of centrist or left wing persuasion. In an ideal world news programmes would be totally impartial and any comment or opinion pieces balanced with contributions of different views but we don’t live in an ideal world and money and power trump (pun intended) balanced debate. If there was any semblance of balance and equality the likes of Murdoch would not be allowed to control multi media outlets across the world.

By the way, the BBC is a public service. We all pay for public services that we don’t necessarily use or want. For example I don’t want Trident missiles but still have to contribute towards them.

Edited by sadoldgit

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Andrew Neil won't be there forever and there will be other players that if allowed, will want to go down the Fox news right wing shock jock road, and in my opinion that will be a bad thing for Britain.

That's just speculation on your part and you have no evidence for those claims. 

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

Clearly a certain section won’t watch it, but it will only stoke the flames for those interested in far right propaganda, which is not a good thing as we have more than enough of it here as it is. You believe in democracy I take it? How can a democracy thrive when there is such a great imbalance in our media? I know that you would like to think that our media in controlled by “pinkos” but it really isn’t. The press is mostly right wing. A lot of radio is right wing. You’d be hard pressed to find much in the way of centrist or left wing persuasion. In an ideal world news programmes would be totally impartial and any comment or opinion pieces balanced with contributions of different views but we don’t live in an ideal world and money and power trump (pun intended) balanced debate. If there was any semblance of balance and equality the likes of Murdoch would not be allowed to control multi media outlets across the world.

By the way, the BBC is a public service. We all pay for public services that we don’t necessarily use or want. For example I don’t want Trident missiles but still have to contribute towards them.

You dont half come out with some nonsense. 

• Like 1

Pleasantly surprised by the comments on here, I'd assumed you were all tin foil hat, culture war soldiers.  I watched the first hour or so out of morbid curiosity and it was terrible, I'd thought with Andrew Neil and co that they were actually going for a right leaning, but legitimate news outlet.  Instead it's a televised version of talk radio and is just a right wing echo chamber.  It'll do well though as there are millions of loons who'll lap it up.

17 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I think both are important. The "voice" of TV news imo has at least some influence on society and I'd like to see different opinions expressed in mainstream TV news to a greater extent. 

Like I said though I don't think this has been a good start at all. I have no idea how someone like Dan Wooton or whatever his name is is going to sustain a daily show simply talking with guests like Rod liddle who already largely agree with him. What made piers Morgan popular on breakfast telly was that he was frequently confronted by people who vehemently disagreed with him and they were able to hash it out love on air. This just seems like having a bunch of people with alternative viewpoints who mostly agree with each other already. Why would anyone bother tuning on every day to watch that? 

For positive reinforcement of existing  views and prejudices ? 

1 hour ago, redkeith said:

For positive reinforcement of existing  views and prejudices ? 

Eh? I think the main criticism I levelled at gb news thus far was that it appeared to have a group of people on who largely agreed with each other. Having a diversity of views is a very different thing from having an editorial line that is basically uniform and where the vast majority of your output is negative about the country and its prospects and where views of a large number of the population go mostly unrepresented. 

19 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If you cancel your Licence fee direct debit I'll happily shop you if you like.

2 hours ago, whelk said:

Have they consider getting newsreaders with their tits out?

That takes me back to Live TV which was a cable Channel in the 90's owned by the Mirror Group.

The had the Norwegian weather girl who gradually stripped off as she was giving the forecast, and also the much missed topless darts.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, ecuk268 said:

That takes me back to Live TV which was a cable Channel in the 90's owned by the Mirror Group.

The had the Norwegian weather girl who gradually stripped off as she was giving the forecast, and also the much missed topless darts.

I vaguely remember that. Didn't they have a dwarf on a trampoline as well? 

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

You dont half come out with some nonsense. 

Ah bless you. Still getting shirty if anyone speaks out against the amount of disparity there is in this country in media political coverage. You and hypo are guaranteed to post as soon as anyone says anything that speaks out against your beloved right. I’m surprised Andrew Neil hasn’t found jobs for you two as social media fluffers. Perhaps he has?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Ah bless you. Still getting shirty if anyone speaks out against the amount of disparity there is in this country in media political coverage. You and hypo are guaranteed to post as soon as anyone says anything that speaks out against your beloved right. I’m surprised Andrew Neil hasn’t found jobs for you two as social media fluffers. Perhaps he has?

Not getting shirty, simply pointing out you talk utter bollocks, as you’ve proven with yet another example here

36 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Heads gone. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Heads gone. 

Definitely one of the strangest people I’ve ever encountered. A thread basically with everyone saying now shit it is yet soggy manages to somehow launch into yet another obsessive political rant. Obsessed is an understatement 

7 hours ago, whelk said:

Have they consider getting newsreaders with their tits out?

Kirsty Gallagher is on in the mornings, maybe she could start the day off by swinging some nipple tassels around.

Edited by The Cat
Saw another post making the same point so changed mine.

Live TV was a firm favourite in our house. The News Bunny, the weird gameshow with the Welsh bloke who used to shout "TIDY" and the ridiculous weather forecasts.

If GB News is half as good as that then I'll be tuning in relentlessly.

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Kirsty Gallagher is on in the mornings, maybe she could start the day off by swinging some nipple tassels around.

It suddenly becomes compulsive viewing. Is it going t9 be a shoot out between her and Suzanne Reed for the early morning viewing slot?

Just now, Turkish said:

It suddenly becomes compulsive viewing. Is it going t9 be a shoot out between her and Suzanne Reed for the early morning viewing slot?

There will be a lot of middle aged men shooting something in their laps if that comes to pass, especially if the channels stagger their ad breaks.

16 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Definitely one of the strangest people I’ve ever encountered. A thread basically with everyone saying now shit it is yet soggy manages to somehow launch into yet another obsessive political rant. Obsessed is an understatement 

I learnt a while ago after the Islam thread that he just reads what confirms his preexisting bias even if what's actually been posted is the opposite. Like you said just weird.