GB News

whelk

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

That's just speculation on your part and you have no evidence for those claims. 

Speculation yes, but if deregulation happens then its naive to think that someone won't step in and give it a go. With this outcome https://apnews.com/article/media-margaret-brennan-archive-deregulation-immigration-f2021dc7425a4001b1f910a3bb075b87 

19 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Speculation yes, but if deregulation happens then its naive to think that someone won't step in and give it a go. With this outcome https://apnews.com/article/media-margaret-brennan-archive-deregulation-immigration-f2021dc7425a4001b1f910a3bb075b87 

You've got no evidence that Andrew Neil is planning on stepping down and that anyone subsequently taking over would look to emulate fox news. It's a wet dream from the likes of stop funding hate rather than anything that's actually likely to happen any time soon. 

5 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

You've got no evidence that Andrew Neil is planning on stepping down and that anyone subsequently taking over would look to emulate fox news. It's a wet dream from the likes of stop funding hate rather than anything that's actually likely to happen any time soon. 

We will see, hopefully the sensible Tories prevail.

I watched for 10 minutes last night. Dan Wootton interviewing Lady Campbell about Harry & Meghan. Excruciating stuff really, but then I already dislike Wootton and have no interest in the royal family so probably not the best introduction to the channel for me.

The weather forecaster had some weird crackling going on through his mic which made it seem quite low rent. 

• Like 1

Watching 10 mins now, the Plumstead Plummer, Michelle Dewberry as guests, Two women presenters, one of them black so political correctness box ticked off. Now over to Skegness to talk about a British staycation, What's not to like?

On 14/06/2021 at 20:40, Lord Duckhunter said:

The Times, Sky news & Talk sport are not right or centre right. 

The standard is pinko, with The Mail & Telegraph rapidly heading that way. 

Unlike the BBC it’ll live or die by commercial considerations and you won’t face jail if you refuse to pay for it. So it’s a yes from me. 

I would expect no less of you to be honest.

• Like 2

Rather than trying to fill up so much time with waffle, they'd have been better off having 3 hours per day of decent tv.  An hour of it could be Neil with Portillo and Diane Abbott/Alan Johnson plus a guest, like the old days.  Then 2 hours of current news report/discussion.  

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Watching 10 mins now, the Plumstead Plummer, Michelle Dewberry as guests, Two women presenters, one of them black so political correctness box ticked off. Now over to Skegness to talk about a British staycation, What's not to like?

If they use ‘staycation’ incorrectly I will boycott the channel forever. Might even protest outside their studio

On 16/06/2021 at 10:17, Manuel said:

Rather than trying to fill up so much time with waffle, they'd have been better off having 3 hours per day of decent tv.  An hour of it could be Neil with Portillo and Diane Abbott/Alan Johnson plus a guest, like the old days.  Then 2 hours of current news report/discussion.  

Neil did a decent job interviewing the chancellor. Big difference in tone from Beff or Peston amateur efforts. 

Yep, that's more like what I want to see, but of course you can't have Neil on there every minute of the day.

In fairness to Sunak, most of the new builds near me already seem to have eco-heating systems in place, biomass particularly.  Although whether they're any good or not...

1 hour ago, Manuel said:

Yep, that's more like what I want to see, but of course you can't have Neil on there every minute of the day.

In fairness to Sunak, most of the new builds near me already seem to have eco-heating systems in place, biomass particularly.  Although whether they're any good or not...

Indeed that is much better and it's adding to the national conversation by asking some questions that no one else has bothered to. Not sure they need a whole TV channel for that kind of thing though, particularly when you have that ghastly Dan Wotton on there every day. 

1 hour ago, supersonic said:

Does anyone genuinely watch GBeebies for legitimate reasons or just to sit in awe are the sheer pantomime that it is? 

It's specifically targeted at idiots, that's not just me being petty, it literally is.  The entire approach is to say loads of random things that the viewers agree with.  Most people, regardless of political persuasion will either mock or ignore it, but the idiots will not be able to see it for what it is and lap it up.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

It's specifically targeted at idiots, that's not just me being petty, it literally is.  The entire approach is to say loads of random things that the viewers agree with.  Most people, regardless of political persuasion will either mock or ignore it, but the idiots will not be able to see it for what it is and lap it up.

Are you suggesting 'stupid' people are less valid human beings than their intellectually superior counterparts? Sounds a tad elitist to me. 

Edited by trousers

31 minutes ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Where have I said that?  

I was asking a question rather than making a statement, but it just seems you have a low opinion of people that are less intelligent than you (i.e. "idiots")

Edited by trousers

On 23/06/2021 at 14:37, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Its a fair point and its cynical in the extreme. Their backers know exactly what they are doing.

It is a slow squeeze of right wing media till there is only a correct form of opposition allowed.

It really might sound paranoid but Seems 1984 is on the money 

2 hours ago, ecuk268 said:

On Thursday the Great British Breakfast attracted 32000 viewers and Andrew Neil's show had 31000.

Meanwhile, at the same time, the Welsh version of Paw Patrol on S4C had 161000 viewers.

Welsh Paw Patrol better figures than Gbeebies lol 😂 

14 hours ago, whelk said:

Tanking very badly. Not long for this world

It decided to go for the Fox News approach straight off the bat rather than trying to be half decent and then descending in to right wing idiocy once it's gained some legitimacy.  Also, the fact that many of the presenters are idiots doesn't help, one of them confused a computer virus with a biological virus the other day.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

GB News with an interesting twist - one of it's presenters took the knee on air to show support for then England players/show contempt for the racists.  Obviously this has gone down very badly with their main clientele, who have generally commented "I come too GB Noos for proppa balance, none of the this MSM agendaing.  I want a wide range of opinions but not those ones!!!".

Wonder if either 1. GB News has just missed the mark or 2. Realised that appealing to dimwits in this country isn't actually that lucrative so they're changing tact.

• Haha 1

GB News apparently were the outlet that first ran the story of the Tory MP who said the Marcus Rashford should have concentrated on his football skills and stayed out of political activism.

Edited by badgerx16

On 15/06/2021 at 23:25, Fan The Flames said:

It’s obviously failing badly. Tbf fair though I had no idea until I read that article that audiences for big broadcasters such as the BBC and Sky could fall as low as 50,000 for daytime slots 

There is obviously a power struggle behind the scenes between the moderate main stream news from a different angle and the right wing foxdinistas.

Any credibility they had with their campaign against biased media and cancel culture is up in smoke with the sacking of Gutto Harri and with it their cloak of plausible deniability is cast aside.

It was all so predictable, free speech as long as the mob agree. Fox News UK here we come. The right wing are a joke, it would be funny if they weren't so dangerous.

• Like 7

To be fair most "free speech" promoters are normally only interested in having access to the largest possible megaphone for themselves and would like everyone else to shut up.

Its come a long way from the quote attributed to that French bloke Voltaire,

"I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

• Like 1

LOL wasn't the whole point of the channel to air 'controversial' views (i.e be a racist) but now a guy airs his own view and he gets sacked. 

A TV Channel for racist far right idiots, and they employ actual journalists and more moderate ex politicians, both of whom have somewhat of a conscience and a sense of morals.

They should have looked to FOX news, Hannity, Tucker et al are basically human trash cans with no morals, honour or a soul. 

• Like 1

On 16/07/2021 at 18:04, tajjuk said:

LOL wasn't the whole point of the channel to air 'controversial' views (i.e be a racist) but now a guy airs his own view and he gets sacked. 

A TV Channel for racist far right idiots, and they employ actual journalists and more moderate ex politicians, both of whom have somewhat of a conscience and a sense of morals.

They should have looked to FOX news, Hannity, Tucker et al are basically human trash cans with no morals, honour or a soul. 

Speaking of human trash cans with no morals...

• 1 month later...

Flicking around i saw five minutes the other day, probably the first time I've seen it since the week it started. It was a piece on 9/11, an interview with a relative of a victim and (you're way ahead of me) it was all about how he doesn't believe the "official narrative" and thinks that "explosives" brought the towers down, not the dirty great planes that flew into them.

I knew it already but its not a channel for the likes of me.

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Flicking around i saw five minutes the other day, probably the first time I've seen it since the week it started. It was a piece on 9/11, an interview with a relative of a victim and (you're way ahead of me) it was all about how he doesn't believe the "official narrative" and thinks that "explosives" brought the towers down, not the dirty great planes that flew into them.

I knew it already but its not a channel for the likes of me.

I saw one theorist a few years ago, who was peddling the whole, ‘jet fuel doesn’t melt steel beams’ line. He’d clearly gone to great lengths with his maths, worked out how much fuel a 767 would take on a flight to LA, how many joules of potential energy would be released on ignition. Then he contrasts this with the amount of steel (apparently) used in one tower of the WTC, the temperature at which it melts and the amount of energy required to increase it to that temperature from about 20 degrees on the morning of the attacks. Wouldn’t you know it, the jet fuel doesn’t release anywhere near enough energy!!!

All looks very plausible and scientific until you realise what he’d actually calculated, if his maths was right, was the amount of energy required to literally liquify the entire skyscraper on impact and send a tidal wave of molten steel flooding down Wall St.

• Haha 2

On 15/06/2021 at 23:46, hypochondriac said:

This aged well 🤣

• Haha 4

52 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

This aged well 🤣

When I'm pissing about on a forum I should always caveat the opinions. The good news is I've never actually watched the channel since the first week it was on so I really wouldn't know what's on it anyway. Really not sure why they thought in this day and age they'd have any particular success on terrestrial TV, they'd have been much better off launching on YouTube or something like that. 

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

All looks very plausible and scientific until you realise what he’d actually calculated, if his maths was right, was the amount of energy required to literally liquify the entire skyscraper on impact and send a tidal wave of molten steel flooding down Wall St.

Be about right 😅

11 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

When I'm pissing about on a forum I should always caveat the opinions. The good news is I've never actually watched the channel since the first week it was on so I really wouldn't know what's on it anyway. Really not sure why they thought in this day and age they'd have any particular success on terrestrial TV, they'd have been much better off launching on YouTube or something like that. 

Maybe you shouldn't be so dismissive without out anything to back it up. When Angelos Frangopoulos got involved it clearly indicated the direction of travel. I get sent Sky Australia links by my conspiracy loving brother in law and SA is clearly a sess pit of bigotry and nutters.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that they've wound up with zero viewers again. For 75 minutes on Saturday afternoon, BARB reports no viewers. 

Ok, it might not be actually zero viewers because the BARB figures are taken from 5800 monitoring boxes. But, relative to other news channels, they're not doing too well.