Carabao Cup 2nd Round

USaint

6 hours ago, USaint said:

Carabao Cup 2nd round draw after the Leyton Orient / QPR match. North / South Regional Draw for this. Who do we want?  It won’t be the skates 😆

Any reason why it won't be the skates? 

Edit; oh wait, I'm assuming they were knocked out. That's a shame, seeing our reserves beat them would be great.

Edited by Saint_clark

12 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Any reason why it won't be the skates? 

Edit; oh wait, I'm assuming they were knocked out. That's a shame, seeing our reserves beat them would be great.

They lost 2-1 to Millwall. Pity really as would have been fun to play them again.

Forest Green away as I've not been there. Definitely not a boring fixture against another Premier League team.

7 hours ago, USaint said:

Carabao Cup 2nd round draw after the Leyton Orient / QPR match. North / South Regional Draw for this. Who do we want?  It won’t be the skates 😆

Is it also seeded or just regional split? 

Afc Wimbledon away at their new ground or Forest Green Rovers would be my choice  for a trip, or just lowest possible team at home which would probably be Stevenage. 

20 minutes ago, The Cat said:

They lost 2-1 to Millwall. Pity really as would have been fun to play them again.

Forest Green away as I've not been there. Definitely not a boring fixture against another Premier League team.

Forest Green you get the added buzz of trying to sneak a pepperami into the ground , got to be one of the few league sides that Saints have never played? 

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, JRM said:

Forest Green you get the added buzz of trying to sneak a pepperami into the ground , got to be one of the few league sides that Saints have never played? 

They should give away promotional ones like they were outside that Leicester away game. Meat starved fans stuffing their pockets with heavily processed reclaimed pork products is just what the Forest Green owners would love to see.

41 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Harrogate away please 🙂

49 minutes ago, oldsarum said:

Accrington 

Morecombe

Oxford Utd or Burton 

Barrow

Shrewsbury

Harrogate

It's a North/South draw, is it not? With the exception of Oxford/Burton we won't get any of those. Somebody sh*t at home, as always please.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JRM said:

They've dropped out of competition due to covid mate, Rochdale got a bye 

ah shit have they? Thought the game had just been postponed, like the other two they're due to play in the next week.

- Updated their facebook page last night with the info - missed it.

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

They should give away promotional ones like they were outside that Leicester away game. Meat starved fans stuffing their pockets with heavily processed reclaimed pork products is just what the Forest Green owners would love to see.

Haha I remember that mate, took me a few days to digest it all 

1 minute ago, oldsarum said:

I'd forgotten that it was rationalised at 2nd round stage 

Still leaves a couple as options 

AFC Wimbledon

Burton / Oxford 

possibly Shrewsbury

Those plus Forest Green all good options, perhaps Shrewsbury is the one, a trip to Gay Meadow most appropriate for our new warm up shirt. 

• Like 1

Just now, JRM said:

It's rife up here, i've got it at the moment, wife and in laws last week, loads of people in my office. Son was meant to be at a Harrogate Town football camp this week did two days but now we are all in isolation after my positive test. Was meant to be a players day there on thursday which has now been cancelled due to the players having it.

6 minutes ago, JRM said:

Those plus Forest Green all good options, perhaps Shrewsbury is the one, a trip to Gay Meadow most appropriate for our new warm up shirt. 

Shrewsbury beat Lincoln last night so I presume they are North too unless the cut off changes now due to the location of the remaining teams.

Could be Newports first home game with fans for 18 months? They've had to switch some games around as their pitch isn't ready yet, Ralph won't be too impressed if the surface isn't up to standard. 

8 hours ago, Appy said:

their manager is hopeful they will able to play at home

Newport County to host Southampton in Carabao Cup | South Wales Argus

Still have fond memories of the 1967/8 season third round tie, drew at home after playing very badly, went to away match with mates on Weds night, fortunately the first Severn bridge had been opened by then.  We didn't play particularly well but won. I remember mentioning to my friend what do you think those TV cameras are for. He replied rather too loudly "Oh it'll be just Welsh Git local TV, Fortunately we were sat in the stand and got out alive.

When my uncle lived there Newport was a prosperous if hard, working class town, with huge docks carrying enormous amounts of Welsh coal, and a thriving marine based engineering industry (which employed my uncle), and a massive railway operation. It has suffered appallingly due to closure of coal mines and docks. The railway sidings and docks covered a huge area then.

It's problems aren't comparable to Portsmouth. Imagine if Southampton docks and local industries had closed down over a decade or so, and it not being a convenient and popular area for higher tech industries.

• Like 1

We had a Golf tour at Celtic Manor and a plan was forming to go out on the town in Newport - I said I’ll be skipping that as it’s renowned as the Wild West especially on a weekend night - they just scoffed at that and carried on with a bit of a plan. Until one of my local mates stepped in to cover one of our group who was taken ill, he heard of the plan and told them that not even he would go to Newport for night out if we paid him “if you really want to go out - trust me, get on the train to Cardiff”.

This will likely be on the box as Newport have given a few higher teams have been given the runaround or bloody nose in recent times.

3 minutes ago, oldsarum said:

Newport confirm game will be at Rodney Parade

Michael Flynn: Newport will relish Southampton challenge | South Wales Argus

Good news, hopefully ticket details will be confirmed today. 

Does seem odd they had to postpone their game on 17th but are sure they can host us a week later, hopefully we won't be messed around after booking travel etc. 

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Barrow v Aston villa and WBA v Arsenal picked for TV so doesn't look like our game will be shown 

Barrow vs Villa will be a good watch. Why on earth is WBA Arsenal on though. Thats a league fixture every other season. Us vs Newport or Leeds vs Crewe would've been my picks for the second game