Michail Antonio

Mr X

I think we wanted to keep him IIRC, but Reading signed to a new contract after his loan spell with us so presumably wanted to keep him, but I doubt anyone could have forsaw he would have become a good PL striker.

He went on loan to Colchester after us in League 1, then Sheff Wed, again in League 1, then had two fairly average seasons in the Championship. It wasn't until he joined Forest and about 5 years after he left us until he really started to prove himself. 

3 minutes ago, Mr Saints said:

I think we could all see he had something even if he was young and extremely raw. Fair play to him, one of those that has got every bit out of his talent through hard work.

How much did west ham pay or free transfer?

Reading didn't want to sell him. It's taken a long time for him to get to this level and fair play to him. The guy is a beast.

But his technical ability, isn't brilliant. Even if we had signed him, he wouldn't still be here anyway, as we'd have likely sold him when we got into the premier league.

4 minutes ago, tttdcs said:

Loved his interview last night after the match, a player with personality rather than the mundane normal post match interviews from players. 

He seems like quite a funny bloke, he did a few video interviews during the first lockdown and came across really. He's a proper unit too. Become a really good player.

I seem to remember they wanted a million quid for him at the time which we weren't prepared to pay...remember we were in league one at the time, that amount of money got us Rickie Lambert, spending the same amount on a young player that had been good to average up to that point wouldn't have been justifiable (at the time!). 

I'll never forget his birthday - 20 years old when he scored in the JPT final. Fair play to him, I was gutted we never got to sign him permanently in League 1. I remember everyone singing, "sign him up!" when he scored against us in a friendly after going back to Reading.

9 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He seems like quite a funny bloke, he did a few video interviews during the first lockdown and came across really. He's a proper unit too. Become a really good player.

I remember seeing him on an episode of Play to the Whistle and, during the show, he feigned an injury at one point, which brought silence from the other celebs before he bursting into laughter at their reactions. Seems to be a real character which is nice when you look at the coached, robotic responses from most players nowadays.

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Proper unit NOW, yes. But back then he was a lithe winger. Played right side for us. Reading sent him out on loan, he became a favourite with us fans, the club made Reading a good offer, but they said they wanted to keep him. Blow me down, they sold him on not long after.

He transformed his body shape and is now a proper CF.

A while ago but I think everyone assumed we'd sign him as he did so well for us, he was only on loan.

I think the summer we tried to sign him, Reading had an option to extend his contract which they took and made it harder for him to sign. 

Would probably be playing for Liverpool now if we'd kept him 🤣

2 hours ago, Chickendippers said:

I am sure I read that because he hadn't had an academy background he hadn't been coached how to head the ball properly by the time he came to us at 20?

That's interesting, a view from the other way, I saw Ben Reeves the other day for Gillingham, technically one of the better players on the pitch, but had no impact on the game. Struck the ball nicely and moved the ball well, but just ordinary otherwise. 

MA always seemed to be a solid but unspectacular 1 in 4 second string striker. Plays a lot of games that has helped get his goal scoring numbers up. However he could just be starting his purple patch, like Long did with us.

seems a top lad and has really made his mark in the League. As mentioned, took a while after leaving us to fulfil his potential. West Ham doing great, not a fan at all, but after about 20 years of useless signings, theyve really nailed the recruitment over the past 2 seasons.

Edited by Saint_Tony

17 hours ago, Ken Tone said:

We wanted to sign him and he was at end of contract at Reading but the rules were that they had rights anyway because of his age and wanted £1million+ for him - a massive figure then and for our league. 

I seem to recall Reading `upping' the amount they wanted on the back of his successful loan, and Nik Nak didn't want to play ball. I might be confusing this with the Matt Philips negotiations though. It seemed to be that Reading didn't really want him. He hardly played the following season. Mostly coming off the bench, all be it at a higher level than we were at. Real shame we could not sign him.

Still have fond memories of him terrorising Orient in the second half of our game at their place. One of the best/entertaining second halves I have ever seen.   Loved watching him, but I guess Chamberlain filled the void brilliantly.

Edited by Chez