Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread

os862saints

42 minutes ago, TWar said:

Makes sense, our internationals not starting as they haven't had time to prep properly. Ely and Livra not withstanding, but they have been on fire recently so not really droppable.

Bet all or most of their internationals will be playing. Why do our snowflakes take so long to recover?

45 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

No Broja? I'd have had him in if no Adams. I suppose Redmond has been training all week so the logic is maybe he is fresher and knows what's required. 

This was the sensible option. Broja has a physical presence which you need against West Ham but Ralph prefers to stick with Redmond.

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Bet all or most of their internationals will be playing. Why do our snowflakes take so long to recover?

It's less recovery and more Ralph hasn't had a chance to prepare them for the game and the specific strengths and weaknesses of West Ham I imagine.

1 minute ago, Teddeer said:

Same for both teams unless I am missing something?

Nah this is true. Ralph has always liked to go hard on the prep though, some suggested this is why we struggled last season when we had limited time between games. Not all managers are like this, some just play how they play and don't majorly adapt to the opposition. No real right or wrong way to do it to be honest.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Nah this is true. Ralph has always liked to go hard on the prep though, some suggested this is why we struggled last season when we had limited time between games. Not all managers are like this, some just play how they play and don't majorly adapt to the opposition. No real right or wrong way to do it to be honest.

Well, let's make a judgement based on the performance of both sides today.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints vs West Ham - Match Thread
4 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

Have we had a better performing player than KWP just suddenly out the team? Feel bad for him, consistently excellent since he arrived. 

Livramento seems good but why strengthen there when goalkeeper and CM were so weak? I can’t see KWP wanting to stick around too long like this. 

As for redmond, we should be used to it I guess. Adams and Armstrong building a partnership, drop one. Finally have options and exciting players like Tella and Broja, nah bring in Redmond. 

Just have to hope it’s one of his two or three strong games per season and not one of his 30 or so dogshit ones where most his energy goes on throwing his hands about moaning at superior teammates. I remember seeing him do that at tadic and van dijk in the past 😂

I have to say I find it bizarre we have strengthened one of our strongest positions. Surely the plan must be to accommodate them both but if so, wtf are we waiting for?

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

You don’t understand why we bought Livramento for £5m? That’s like saying why buy a Ferrari for £100 when we really need a new bathroom.

It's easy to understand, but your analogy avoids the point that our team is no stronger with Livramento rather than KWP in the team. It would have been stronger with a better CM or keeper. 

Just Ralph being Ralph. Trying to be a super tactician, putting together a foolproof prof plan to beat West Ham.

That'll all be out the window the moment one if our CBs dozes off or McC forgets to come for a cross.

WHU unchanged so international players don’t necessarily need all this rest...

Edited by OttawaSaint

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just Ralph being Ralph. Trying to be a super tactician, putting together a fool prof plan to beat West Ham.

That'll all be out the window the moment one if our CBs dozes off or McC forgets to cone for a cross.

WHU unchanged so international players don’t necessarily need all this rest...

Yep, everyone has a plan until they take a punch on the face etc. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

It's easy to understand, but your analogy avoids the point that our team is no stronger with Livramento rather than KWP in the team. It would have been stronger with a better CM or keeper. 

Our team is absolutely stronger with Liv in it. For a start it’s a 40 game plus season and there will be injuries and fixture congestion. You can’t expect KWP to play every minute of every game at 90mph. Even putting all that aside, Liv is a fundamentally better player.

By all accounts, we have looked at a DM but the right player wasn’t available at the right price. GK I’d imagine came down to wages. We still have two on very expensive contracts, I doubt we were willing or able to add a third, who’d want at least as much as Forster.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

Our team is absolutely stronger with Liv in it. For a start it’s a 40 game plus season and there will be injuries and fixture congestion. You can’t expect KWP to play every minute of every game at 90mph. Even putting all that aside, Liv is a fundamentally better player.

By all accounts, we have looked at a DM but the right player wasn’t available at the right price. GK I’d imagine came down to wages. We still have two on very expensive contracts, I doubt we were willing or able to add a third, who’d want at least as much as Forster.

I disagree. Full backs don't dictate games. CM's do. Full backs aren't as important as keeping the ball out of the net as a decent keeper. We needed a better CM or keeper more than we needed a full back. 

Don't get me wrong, the Livramento business was brilliant, but if I had a choice of KWP plus a better CM or keeper, or Livramento and what we've got, it'd be option 1 all day long. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic