Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread

os862saints

Hi everyone.  I'm a very long-term stalker of this site but recently decided to join up and join in.

This weekend is one of two tricky ones each season as the missus is a Hammer through and through.   Recent results have been difficult to take so I'm never confident when we play them.  I enjoy Antonio, both because he was our player during that magical time and also I just like his style of play.  But really hoping he is jet-lagged/knackered/off-form this weekend.

For us I prefer McCarthy to Forster and so does Ralph.  I expect Stephens to keep his place as well as Ely.  Hoping Stu is back, if not I think he might give Readers a crack instead of Djenepo.  Tino at right back and probably KWP at left.  Romeu, Salisu, JWP, Adams, A Armstrong pick themselves.  It's great we have so much more choice at the moment all over the pitch but makes choosing all the harder.  Personally I'd like to see Tella on the pitch but don't expect to, at least not starting.

Seeing as it's my first post I'm going to stick my neck out and say our first clean sheet and a 2-0 win.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, TWar said:

6dm1bnry2wl71.jpg?width=4188&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=a66951be5cff0b5714b555f6e7bb5fc131c94040

We are creating pretty well this season considering the teams we've faced.

Drfad8kry2wl71.jpg?width=4188&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=84d5671d0259ec2cbab392bb8ab4524723c157a5

Dropping Adams would be a massive error given he is doing very well for xA (around the level of Grealish, Pogba, Richarlison). This mainly just shows we need to finish our chances (See Djenepo's formidable xG). Perraud and Livramento have both been very good for me so while I like KWP I'd keep him benched for now.

Forster

Livramento Stephens Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu

S. Armstrong Moi

Adams A. Armstrong

Probably our strongest team right now, Moi shouldn't be dropped after scoring 4 in his last two for saints and then also scoring for his country. 

So if he carries on that xG all season, we should expect Che to get around 3.8 goals over the 38 games? Sounds about right.

45 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

So if he carries on that xG all season, we should expect Che to get around 3.8 goals over the 38 games? Sounds about right.

Yeah I think he may play a more advanced role against smaller teams but he has been sat super deep against the first three sides. If he plays like that for the remainder of the season about 5-7 goals will probably be his range. As I say, more likely just because he's been against tough opposition so is having to drop deep to get the ball and help overload the middle third.

1 hour ago, The Left Back said:

Hi everyone.  I'm a very long-term stalker of this site but recently decided to join up and join in.

This weekend is one of two tricky ones each season as the missus is a Hammer through and through.   Recent results have been difficult to take so I'm never confident when we play them.  I enjoy Antonio, both because he was our player during that magical time and also I just like his style of play.  But really hoping he is jet-lagged/knackered/off-form this weekend.

For us I prefer McCarthy to Forster and so does Ralph.  I expect Stephens to keep his place as well as Ely.  Hoping Stu is back, if not I think he might give Readers a crack instead of Djenepo.  Tino at right back and probably KWP at left.  Romeu, Salisu, JWP, Adams, A Armstrong pick themselves.  It's great we have so much more choice at the moment all over the pitch but makes choosing all the harder.  Personally I'd like to see Tella on the pitch but don't expect to, at least not starting.

Seeing as it's my first post I'm going to stick my neck out and say our first clean sheet and a 2-0 win.

Welcome!

And if we lose it is now officially your fault 😉

4 hours ago, Dusic said:

Not spotted in today's training pics:

- Stuart Armstrong

- JWP

- Dan Seaborne

- Theo Walcott

What the hell is going on with Seaborne? He's been out for what seems like an eternity and not a peep from the club. The silence is deafening, we fans deserve to know.

15 hours ago, Dusic said:

Not spotted in today's training pics:

- Stuart Armstrong

- JWP

- Dan Seaborne

- Theo Walcott

As we know that JwP WILL play 94 minutes of every match, so any of the others are likely to play. Isn't Seaborne lined up as matey's assistant for the B team? He could play, as he's registered, but hopefully Lyancu will get the shout before him.

20 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Welcome mush and yep it on you if we get tonked !

23 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Welcome!

And if we lose it is now officially your fault 😉

I've been stalking here long enough to know that's exactly how it works.  Happy to divert the flak away from Macca/Jack/Redders/Ralph for a week.  I am actually thinking of changing my prediction from 2-0 to 3-0

• Like 2

Southampton v West - History. 

Overall

Saints wins - 34

Drawn - 31

West Ham wins - 46

We had a pretty impressive home record between 1995 and 2016, only losing once in 15 games, but then from 2017 we have only won once at home to the hammers in 5 games. So about time to put that right, but I’m going for a draw as there has been a far few of them. 2-2. 

AT HOME

1995 - 2016 

Saints Wins - 8

Draws - 6 

West Ham wins - 1 

2017 - Present 

Saints Wins - 1

Draws - 1

West Ham wins - 3 

Excited to see if the youthful pairing of Leandre Griffit and Yoann Folly can step up

Hopefully we come out fast and get pressing early. Still happy for Adams that he is able to play international football, but looking at it now it would've been nice for him and A Armstrong to have 2 weeks with Ralph working on pressing triggers and automatisms. 

28 minutes ago, JRM said:

Ralph confirmed we'll be missing

Will Smallbone 

Theo Walcott 

Stuart Armstrong 

Shane Long

All others should be available depending on return of internationals 

good news then

Was their any news on how lyanco has settled in etc - assume he will be on the bench 

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, JRM said:

Will Smallbone 

Theo Walcott 

Stuart Armstrong 

Shane Long

Still nothing on Seaborne? And don't even get me started on Safri - surely his deal is up by now?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

In what world is missing Stu good news? 

I guess because with Theo unavailable as well it gives Ralph the chance (that he probably won't take, but still) to play Tino and KWP together on the right.

Any scenario where Long doesn't get on the pitch is positive though.

1 hour ago, Convict Colony said:

good news then

Was their any news on how lyanco has settled in etc - assume he will be on the bench 

He said Lyanco long term project, can't speak very good English yet,  Romeu helping with some translation 

Edited by JRM

37 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

Long has COVID.

40 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I guess because with Theo unavailable as well it gives Ralph the chance (that he probably won't take, but still) to play Tino and KWP together on the right.

Any scenario where Long doesn't get on the pitch is positive though.

Definitely along with Theo those two are a waste of time, offering pace (headless running) and naff all else.  

Armstrong is decent & Smallbone gets the benefit of the doubt as hasn't had a decent run.

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Will Smallbone 

Theo Walcott 

Stuart Armstrong 

Shane Long

Wasn't Armstrong's injury originally described as a 'minor calf injury'? Would appear to be more significant than that given he's been out of action for best part of a month now?

Edited by trousers

11 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

Well, the story is still "calf" so that hasn't changed. But it does seem a bit odd, although soft tissue injuries can go on a bit, especially at that level. I imagine Sid from the Dog and Duck Reserves would be back patrolling the centre circle a lot quicker..

It's all a load of old pony. Jimmy Case would have played through this injury and been on the piss down the Dog & Duck between games. Why can't we have players like him anymore?

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Morale boosting surprise 3-1 win with King Moi continuing his goalscoring exploits, AArmstrong getting on the scoresheet and a Jack Stephens header from a corner.  

I'm not putting any money on it though!

TBF another draw would be a decent result here, but at some point we're going to have to beat somebody tough or we know what kind of season to expect.

17 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'm not putting any money on it though!

Very sensible! 🙂 

One of the most tedious things on here used to be certain people boasting about their cheeky little side bet wins: but never a mention of their losses. Perhaps they fooled themselves..

I'll be there but I might double up on my blood pressure tablets..

I still doubt the clubs wisdom in signing Theo. A waste of a decent chunk of wages for what is in effect a club/academy cheerleader. 

He's very injury prone and even when he's not injured his impact is limited due to his diminishing physical attributes.

Worst decision the new scouting setup have made to be honest.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I still doubt the clubs wisdom in signing Theo. A waste of a decent chunk of wages for what is in effect a club/academy cheerleader. 

He's very injury prone and even when he's not injured his impact is limited due to his diminishing physical attributes.

Worst decision the new scouting setup have made to be honest.

That and the Long extension could have paid for a new GK

We off loaded most if not all of the deadwood this window ..but Shane Theo Fraser and Alex McCarthy need to be shot too .. not bringing in a new goal keeper and giving the above new contracts bar Fraser is really wasteful..the board tho have brought in some quality in Tino ..Armstrong Broja .lyanco and small ..so all In all not a bad window …quietly optimistic if I’m honest.

• Like 1

I'm optimistic too and I would be more optimistic if 'supporters' were better supporters instead of wanting Shane Theo and both goalies shot. I think Shane has given us whole hearted highly professional service for years and I'm pleased the club thanked him with an extended contract, I am pleased we brought Theo home FREE and that he contributes  among all age groups and I hope his future will be with the Club as a coach or mentor for future generations and as for the two goalies, yes we need an improvement and it is promised when present contracts allow. Not everything can be done in one window and a lot has been done Well done Ralph and co. COYR

• Like 6

53 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Still no sign of JWP in the training pics from today.

Edit: Ralph said in written press section he has had some stomach problems this week.

Ralph said in the second part of the press conference that he’s had stomach issues this week. 

Reading between the lines, sounded like he might not start on Saturday.

24 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Fairly obviously; Vlasic will score two goals, which win the game, and be heralded as the next big thing in the media and the missing piece in the Champions League push by Hammers fans. He won’t score again all season.

Except against us in the reverse fixture.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic