Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread

os862saints

This is the sort of game our opponents will be saying 'Typical [insert that fan's club]. Playing a side that has sold its best players, hasn't won all season, and has conceded 7 goals already this season. So it's a given that we will generously give them their first 3 points this season."

Only this time. Can we fucking actually do it and get the 3 points.

43 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

When did West Ham become peak Barcelona?

They have a few good players. That's just being a top half premier league team. We've beaten far better sides than them in recent years and there's no reason (ok probably mccarthy) we can't tomorrow. 

I'd fully expect a loss if it was away. But at home we'll give them a game. Bet we take the lead anyway. Broja to come on and score. 2-2 or 3-2 Saints. 

Is anyone saying that? The general feeling is they are a powerful side who we seem to have struggled against in recent times. 

They are a better team than us and far more street-wise. But we could have one ace up our sleeve this weekend. Energy levels.

While very few of ours have been away, some of there's have had some meaty journeys and little recovery time. 

We need to be chasing and harrying them from the first minute. There is no excuse for being out worked by them. 

Come on Saints, ruin a load of super six bets! 

4 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

They are a better team than us and far more street-wise. But we could have one ace up our sleeve this weekend. Energy levels.

While very few of ours have been away, some of there's have had some meaty journeys and little recovery time. 

We need to be chasing and harrying them from the first minute. There is no excuse for being out worked by them. 

Come on Saints, ruin a load of super six bets! 

Whenever anyone posts this before a game, it’s inevitably Saints blowing out their backsides, chasing shadows and looking like they’ve come straight here from Yates by the 70 minute mark.

It is going to be a tough match. But NOT easy for West Ham as the Independent believe. Saints have held out against better and richer teams and there is no reason why  - if we concentrate on a resolute defence - we can't break away and score more than once. 

COYS!

4 minutes ago, eelpie said:

It is going to be a tough match. But NOT easy for West Ham as the Independent believe. Saints have held out against better and richer teams and there is no reason why  - if we concentrate on a resolute defence - we can't break away and score more than once. 

COYS!

Independent Lawro has us down to win, not entirely he'll be right but fingers crossed. 

11 minutes ago, whelk said:

And the lad from the Vaccines has more faith than you lot.

He sounds like a right knobhead,  born and raised in Southampton, used to go to The Dell with his Dad, has a "soft spot" for Saints but supports Man Utd. Fuck off. 

• Like 10

Saints B regular Caleb Watts not in the squad for tonight's game. Contender for the first team bench tomorrow? (Which would tend to indicate one of Romeu, Diallo or JWP is a doubt?)

(Yes, I know, lots of 2+2=5 thinking there)

Edited by trousers

17 minutes ago, trousers said:

Saints B regular Caleb Watts not in the squad for tonight's game. Contender for the first team bench tomorrow? (Which would tend to indicate one of Romeu, Diallo or JWP is a doubt?)

(Yes, I know, lots of 2+2=5 thinking there)

Watts probably would take the Armstrong/Theo spot (but on the bench).

Finnigan would be a candidate to cover the central role you mentioned.

10 hours ago, JRM said:

He sounds like a right knobhead,  born and raised in Southampton, used to go to The Dell with his Dad, has a "soft spot" for Saints but supports Man Utd. Fuck off. 

I know so many of these kinds of lads in Southampton. Their fathers failed them.

Edited by niceandfriendly

4 hours ago, Millbrook Saint said:

Any team who has Stephens starting at the back is already starting with a disadvantage, our forward players are going to have to be on top form today to stop this game running away from us. if west ham get an early goal we'll be in trouble

Our centre backs always struggle against Antonio but especially Stephens as he just isn't physical enough. 

I actually think I would take beating West ham over any other team in this league, we have such an appalling record against them it would feel monumental! A real turning point.

They always seem to completely bully us and get results often against the run of play. 

Just now, hypochondriac said:

No Broja? I'd have had him in if no Adams. I suppose Redmond has been training all week so the logic is maybe he is fresher and knows what's required. 

Broja on the bench. I'd like to have seen him from the start. He'd give us a bit of physicality. I assume it'll be Redmond up top but Moi has been playing up top for Norway. 

Sky pundits seems to think we are on the way down, not impressed with our transfer window.  To much quality out, not enough in.   Not to sure myself, but it will be interesting to see how we go when the going gets tough,  last season we downed tools a few times.  Need to get in front today and stay there. 

4 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Doesn't stop West Ham's internationals starting though... 

Redmond upfront never works.

He helps link midfield to attack. Adams has been dropping deep trying to do that and it's not his game. Redmond makes sense in that role. 

1 minute ago, OttawaSaint said:

Another head scratcher from RH. Redders up top. I guess he’s resting the international strikers Adams and Broja. I’m worried KWP is going to lose patience with being benched.

Why, he was forth choice at Spurs before he came here and barely getting a game? He’s not some coveted superstar we who’s out of our league. Saints are about his level and he’ll have to fight for his place, same as anyone else. Anyway, we’re four games into the season and he’s played 90 minutes of two of them.

9 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Not too worried about Redmond playing, but Djenpo? Just nothing there for me.

I love Djenepo’s unpredictability, he can beat a player, just needs more end result - decent cross or a shot.

There is a decent player in there, but understand why he is not a popular starting choice.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic