Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread

os862saints

We will get bullied like we do every time we face West Ham.. DcL for Everton bullied salisu in the air to every ball both times we faced them at goodison .. Antonio looks at this fixture and knows he has our back line trembling with fear ..I’m hoping with a new look saints we can play between the lines and exploit the flanks especially up the right with tino at RB and finally get a result against them ..benraima should have scored for them here last season missed a sitter ..we rode our luck last season ..high line and Armstrong running in behind will be order of the day I suspect!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

This game could be an interesting pointer to see how far we've come in a short space. We got bullied by them at the end of last season.

I'd personally go for more pace and physicality against Antonio, so I'd drop Stephens for Lyanco - but I reckon Stephens will continue to start, I think he's got that slot at the mo and he'll keep it for the time being.

Romeu in midfield will be important, Diallo and JWP last season just couldn't get close. We need some physicality in there. That's still my worry with the squad - after Romeu we have no real physical midfielders.

Adams and Armstrong should keep their centre backs honest, I expect Zouma will start. We'll probably create openings, I just hope we're clinical enough.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Part four of ‘fixtures we never win’. I’d take a point.

I'm sure when we played them last season the commentators said West Ham have picked up more points at St Mary's than they have at any other away ground , not sure over what period but think since they returned to the prem (like us) in 2012. 

We've lost 6 of the last 7 games against them (home and away) 

Edited by JRM

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not this coming Thursday, it is the Thursday after Saints play them.

Zagreb away, then they have Man Utd twice in a few days, will stretch their squad,  how many players do they have on international duty? Could do with Rice picking up a knock in Poland on Wednesday night. 

1 minute ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Is S Armstrong likely to be back? I’d say Moi deserves to keep his place on current form but would probably drop Moussa for Redmond/Tella/S Armstrong. 

I read he was expected back after international break, not seen him in any training pics. 

The big question is have they fixed the ticket/ turnstiles issue or will we all be getting a refund again? 

Loads of tickets still available on general sale, not surprising at the prices charged, padded seat in Kingsland a bargain £70 for this fixture. 

Southampton boat show on as well at the weekend could add to the traffic. 

21 minutes ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Is S Armstrong likely to be back? I’d say Moi deserves to keep his place on current form but would probably drop Moussa for Redmond/Tella/S Armstrong. 

If he's back, I imagine he'd be on the bench - no more than that. 

The only changes I'd make from the previous games are bringing back Perraud at left back, moving KWP to right back. Dropping Moussa and shifting Moi to the left, and moving Tino to right mid ahead of KWP. That's how I'd play it tbh.

• Like 4

Always makes me laugh when people bank on the opponent having a European tie, cup tie, or players in a long haul international fixture that is going to result in giving us some kind of advantage - we’re Saints, we never get the fucking edge. Ever. It works against us but never for us, in all my years of watching this sorry lot.

Honestly the opponents could come down with the shits the night before and we’d still struggle. They could travel from New Zealand 48 hours before the game and still beat us.

West Ham could be in Kazakhstan Thursday, have a semi final Tuesday, and Antonio would still rawdog the shit out of our back line.

Id happily take a score draw now if offered.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 4
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

Always makes me laugh when people bank on the opponent having a European tie, cup tie, or players in a long haul international fixture that is going to result in giving us some kind of advantage - we’re Saints, we never get the fucking edge. Ever. It works against us but never for us, in all my years of watching this sorry lot.

Honestly the opponents could come down with the shits the night before and we’d still struggle. They could travel from New Zealand 48 hours before the game and still beat us.

West Ham could be in Kazakhstan Thursday, have a semi final Tuesday, and Antonio would still rawdog the shit out of our back line.

Id happily take a score draw now if offered.

Nail head bosh!!!

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

The only changes I'd make from the previous games are bringing back Perraud at left back, moving KWP to right back. Dropping Moussa and shifting Moi to the left, and moving Tino to right mid ahead of KWP. That's how I'd play it tbh.

I wish you were Ralph!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Would love to see this. 

Win = 1.25 points a game average

Draw = 0.75 …

lose = 0.5 …

My point being, we can’t keep trotting out the “games we never win” line because there are not enough games we should win to keep us up. Agreed it’s early, but we do need to pick up some wins we are not expecting us to. 

• Like 1

We are well provided for with international strikers (Scotlnd, Norway, Albania) all scoring at international level.  But the first choice for Saints is probably the non-international, Adam Armstrong.  Who should play alongside?  Stick with Adams, using one or more of the others as attacking midfield?  Or is it time to give Aams a rest? 

Probably somewhat controversial but, If I were in Ralph's position, I would have been tempted to spend the 2 weeks between matches drilling the following team/formation:

--------------Forster-----------------

KWP----Stephens--Salisu----Perraud

------JWP---Romeu---Diallo--------

------Tella-----------Redmond------

----------A. Armstrong--------------

Basically, a team comprised of those who have not been away travelling on international duty, in a 4-3-2-1/4-3-3/4-3-1-2 (basically a fluid front 3).

However, we know it will be McCarthy in goal and it will be 4-2-2-2. So wouldn't be upset with the above but with Stuey replacing Diallo (in a 10 position) if fit and Tella moving up alongside Arma. If Stuey not fit to start Che to start up top.

2 hours ago, Minsk said:

Probably somewhat controversial but, If I were in Ralph's position, I would have been tempted to spend the 2 weeks between matches drilling the following team/formation:

Basically, a team comprised of those who have not been away travelling on international duty, in a 4-3-2-1/4-3-3/4-3-1-2 (basically a fluid front 3).

However, we know it will be McCarthy in goal and it will be 4-2-2-2. So wouldn't be upset with the above but with Stuey replacing Diallo (in a 10 position) if fit and Tella moving up alongside Arma. If Stuey not fit to start Che to start up top.

I have not seen much in Diallo to get me hopes up so far, but in this instance I would say Diallo is far too lightweight for this match.

2 hours ago, Minsk said:

It is an interesting suggestion. I think having JWP/Romeu/Diallo on at the same time would be a good tactical change (e.g. if we are hanging onto a goal lead), but not sure whether to start with that.  When we recently played Man United, we changed to a back 5 at HT and then subsequently brought on Diallo so the three midfielders were all on the pitch at the same time. Interestingly I thought that our best period was when we played with that formation & midfielders, so it could work.

• Like 1

Forster 

kwp       Bednerak  salisu      Perraud 

Jwp         Romeu 

Tino                                            Moi

Adams.    

Armstrong 

..think this to start then if we pinch a lead 1st half then change it if we become under pressure to 5 at the back bringing on Stephens and diallo.leaving Armstrong upfront on his own for the pace on the counter …

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Win = 1.25 points a game average

Draw = 0.75 …

lose = 0.5 …

My point being, we can’t keep trotting out the “games we never win” line because there are not enough games we should win to keep us up. Agreed it’s early, but we do need to pick up some wins we are not expecting us to. 

...and we will. 3-1 to Saints with a proviso that we must go in at HT 2-0 up. Expect an unchanged team form the toon trip.

6 hours ago, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Redmond was excellent against Newcastle, expect him to come in for Djenepo with Moi on the other side, otherwise unchanged.  Antonio suffered a moral destroying 3-0 defeat to Panama this weekend so I think that'll turn things - 3-0 Saints.

Indeed. May work in our favour:

https://www.hammers.news/international/west-ham-star-michail-antonio-lasts-just-70-minutes-of-international-debut-for-woeful-jamaica-after-10500-mile-round-trip/

2 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

Every little helps. International football is crazy really, long distances for 70 mins football, hopefully he picked up a knock. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Forster 

kwp       Bednerak  salisu      Perraud 

Jwp         Romeu 

Tino                                            Moi

Adams.    

Armstrong 

..think this to start then if we pinch a lead 1st half then change it if we become under pressure to 5 at the back bringing on Stephens and diallo.leaving Armstrong upfront on his own for the pace on the counter …

Agree with this side. Would like to see Bednerek start with Salisu. Redmond off the bench at the 60th minute mark.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JRM said:

Every little helps. International football is crazy really, long distances for 70 mins football, hopefully he picked up a knock. 

Reading that article I didn't realise he was 31. Let's hope playing on those hard pitches and a bit of jet lag do enough to blunt his edge even if he didn't pick up a knock.

4 hours ago, PeteCampbell said:

Agree with this side. Would like to see Bednerek start with Salisu. Redmond off the bench at the 60th minute mark.

Me too. I'm afraid Djenepo is too risky pretty much anytime except as impact sub. Will be amazed if Ralph sees sense and picks Forster in goal.

6dm1bnry2wl71.jpg?width=4188&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=a66951be5cff0b5714b555f6e7bb5fc131c94040

We are creating pretty well this season considering the teams we've faced.

Drfad8kry2wl71.jpg?width=4188&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=84d5671d0259ec2cbab392bb8ab4524723c157a5

Dropping Adams would be a massive error given he is doing very well for xA (around the level of Grealish, Pogba, Richarlison). This mainly just shows we need to finish our chances (See Djenepo's formidable xG). Perraud and Livramento have both been very good for me so while I like KWP I'd keep him benched for now.

Forster

Livramento Stephens Salisu Perraud

JWP Romeu

S. Armstrong Moi

Adams A. Armstrong

Probably our strongest team right now, Moi shouldn't be dropped after scoring 4 in his last two for saints and then also scoring for his country. 

Edited by TWar

1 hour ago, TWar said:

6dm1bnry2wl71.jpg?width=4188&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=a66951be5cff0b5714b555f6e7bb5fc131c94040

Drfad8kry2wl71.jpg?width=4188&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=84d5671d0259ec2cbab392bb8ab4524723c157a5

Dropping Adams would be a massive error given he is doing very well for xA (around the level of Grealish, Pogba, Richarlison). This mainly just shows we need to finish our chances (See Djenepo's formidable xG). Perraud and Livramento have both been very good for me so while I like KWP I'd keep him benched for now.

Forster

JWP Romeu

S. Armstrong Moi

Adams A. Armstrong

Probably our strongest team right now, Moi shouldn't be dropped after scoring 4 in his last two for saints and for his country. 

Can't wait for Ducky and co to respond to this...

pony GIF

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Forster

JWP Romeu

S. Armstrong Moi

Adams A. Armstrong

Probably our strongest team right now, Moi shouldn't be dropped after scoring 4 in his last two for saints and for his country. 

BBB

This will be a real test, I think they will be too much for us. That said a point against united was an unexpected result! 

Just wish we had a decent shot stopper in goal and a real no nonsence shit house in midfield that could bully them 

• Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 0-0 West Ham - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic