Ralph out Howe In?

Pilchards

On 01/11/2021 at 09:16, TWar said:

Newcastle will be fine imo. They will spend stupid money in Jan and it should be enough to get above Burnley, Watford, Norwich, and one or two of Palace/Villa/Leeds/Brentford/Us.

I think it is one of the more predictable seasons though imo, Burnley, Watford and Norwich are way behind their competitors (aside from newcastle) and Newcastle are about to spend enough money to buy basically each of their respective whole starting 11s. Also Newcastle may get Tark which would really hurt Burnley.

Brentford, Newcastle and Norwich for me. Brentford are going to drop like a stone. 

villa, Leeds, Watford and Burnley will also be down there and we flirting around the area. All going to be tight, but Ralph is the man for the job for me. We play football the right way. Need a proven striker while the others find their feet. Shame we look much better away, probably better suited to counter attacking and away is normally the better option for our style. I think we will draw with Villa but beat Norwich comfortably. 

As amusing as Newcastle getting relegated would be, it obviously wouldn't be a financial disaster as it would for a club like ours, just a minor inconvenience. And if they do go down, they'd probably bounce straight back up with all their money, cutting through the championship like a bone saw hot knife through butter.

• Like 1

I’ve found out from a guy Dave Hill (my builder) who knows JWP very well from his Pompey days. JWP coaches his boys some Sunday mornings.

Before you slag me off go and find the link as I can’t remember the team in the Pompey league.

Anyway Ralph and some players knew he was being replaced at the end of October but Semmens (not his decision) did a turnaround after results picked up plus Ralph did some training changes which was welcomed by the players.

Its funny that Howe is now available to manage Newcastle after knowing he is not getting the Saints job yet! Semmens and him apparently have met several times recently according to my original source. 

Dave has also told me JWP will leave if we accept a good offer for him.

• Haha 8

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I’ve found out from a guy Dave Hill (my builder) who knows JWP very well from his Pompey days. JWP coaches his boys some Sunday mornings.

Before you slag me off go and find the link as I can’t remember the team in the Pompey league.

Anyway Ralph and some players knew he was being replaced at the end of October but Semmens (not his decision) did a turnaround after results picked up plus Ralph did some training changes which was welcomed by the players.

Its funny that Howe is now available to manage Newcastle after knowing he is not getting the Saints job yet! Semmens and him apparently have met several times recently according to my original source. 

I'm sure Dave and JWP will be delighted that you've posted that on a forum. 

• Haha 3

Just now, Pilchards said:

Dave don’t give a shit as he hates us with a passion.

The twat even told me he put a Pompey scarf in between my brick work.

Ha!!! Fair enough mate. I hope you do the right thing and rebuild that wall!! 

10 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

It was pretty obvious literally the day after you posted this, lol, that it was never ever happening.

It was no big insight that Howe who has been out of a job for nearly 2 years might be interested in managing us considering he lives 25 miles down the road and has been linked to us for years.

As for Semmens doing a turnaround after results picked up...

You literally said in the original post that even if Ralph wins the great 3 games he's be getting replaced.

I was willing to let this play out.

But this was always utter bollocks.

• Like 5

Just now, JustinSFC said:

It was pretty obvious literally the day after you posted this, lol, that it was never ever happening.

It was no big insight that Howe who has been out of a job for nearly 2 years might be interested in managing us considering he lives 25 miles down the road and has been linked to us for years.

As for Semmens doing a turnaround after results picked up...

You literally said in the original post that even if Ralph wins the great 3 games he's be getting replaced.

I was willing to let this play out.

But this was always utter bollocks.

*Next.

Not great.

14 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Is it common for pro footballers to spend their sundays coaching random children? You think they'd be too busy for that. And for them to blab high profile club secrets to the dads of these boys that are so well kept otherwise not a single journo has a sniff?

Seems a little farfetched to me, no offense mate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

Is it common for pro footballers to spend their sundays coaching random children? You think they'd be too busy for that. And for them to blab high profile club secrets to the dads of these boys that are so well kept otherwise not a single journo has a sniff?

Dave is the manager plus chairman I think.

JWP sponsors the team.

Just googled Dave Hill and James Ward Prowse.

East Lodge Football Club, many articles on his link to James.

Edited by Pilchards

46 minutes ago, TWar said:

Yes. (why the hell would they be too busy to help out now and again? They do hardly anything). 

Yes. Many footballers discuss things with close family / friends. They’re much more likely to tell friends than the press. 

I can’t comment on the end of October stuff or Ralph / the players knowing that he was on the brink (although I wouldn’t be surprised), however I can 100% with complete certainty say that we have spoken to Howe about taking over. Howe is very keen on us and we’re very keen on Howe (that’s pretty obvious, though). 

The bit about Ralph changing things up in training would also make sense as I know a number of players, one being a key player who’s just left (that’s a different convo though - as someone said towards the end of last season, we had some real poison in the squad… who’ve now moved on), weren’t too impressed with him. 

All that being said, we won’t sack Ralph (my opinion) if results / performances continue as they have been and probably rightly so. 

53 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

JWP sponsors the team.

If this is true might want to be a bit more careful about putting this info out there. Could get Dave Hill in a spot of trouble. 

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yes. (why the hell would they be too busy to help out now and again? They do hardly anything). 

Yes. Many footballers discuss things with close family / friends. They’re much more likely to tell friends than the press. 

I can’t comment on the end of October stuff or Ralph / the players knowing that he was on the brink (although I wouldn’t be surprised), however I can 100% with complete certainty say that we have spoken to Howe about taking over. Howe is very keen on us and we’re very keen on Howe (that’s pretty obvious, though). 

The bit about Ralph changing things up in training would also make sense as I know a number of players, one being a key player who’s just left (that’s a different convo though - as someone said towards the end of last season, we had some real poison in the squad… who’ve now moved on), weren’t too impressed with him. 

All that being said, we won’t sack Ralph (my opinion) if results / performances continue as they have been and probably rightly so. 

How do you know this? It feels like most of the ITK's we've had have been pretty wrong for years now (last good one I remember was someone broke Angus Gunn signing early).

Also why is "that pretty obvious"? I can see him wanting to go to us because of geography (I get it, I lived outside of the south too for a bit and its not as nice) but why the other way round? Why would we be interested in Eddie Howe too? Going from Ralph to Howe is like going from a well engineered BMW to an old bicycle with a puncture.

Edited by TWar
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, TWar said:

How do you know this? It feels like most of the ITK's we've had have been pretty wrong for years now (last good one I remember was someone broke Angus Gunn signing early).

Monk.

I'm 99% sure I know who he is and he's definitely ITK.

4 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Monk.

I'm 99% sure I know who he is and he's definitely ITK.

Yep thats the one. He's pretty reliable. Don't think much of these "I know/my family knows/my friends know JWP" ITKS. I remember one this summer said he was going to force his way to villa and had visited the training ground and that.

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

Also why is "that pretty obvious"? I can see him wanting to go to us because of geography (I get it, I lived outside of the south too for a bit and its not as nice) but why the other way round? Why would we be interested in Eddie Howe too? Going from Ralph to Howe is like going from a well engineered BMW to an old bicycle with a puncture.

Because I know someone involved with the club at a pretty senior level. Well to be truthful, they’re no longer at the club but still have friends / former colleagues who are. 

I also know a few, now former, players. 

I’m not crooker or semmens, so I can’t tell you the reasons why we like Howe, but at a guess I’d say; 

Cheap

Keen on the job 

Done a good job with bournemouth 

Considered a good coach within the game

He fits our profile to a tee. 

3 minutes ago, Dman said:

Because I know someone involved with the club at a pretty senior level. Well to be truthful, they’re no longer at the club but still have friends / former colleagues who are. 

I also know a few, now former, players. 

I’m not crooker or semmens, so I can’t tell you the reasons why we like Howe, but at a guess I’d say; 

Cheap

Keen on the job 

Done a good job with bournemouth 

Considered a good coach within the game

He fits our profile to a tee. 

Did he do a good job at Bournemouth though? Seems to me like he spent a fortune and got relegated. Also is he considered a good coach within the game? Seems if he was any good he wouldn't have been unemployed for too long. I grant he is probably cheap and keen, but so are a lot of people. And it won't be cheap if he gets us relegated like he did Bournemouth.

Maybe you are right and we are clamouring to downsize on our manager spending (although Ralph is reasonably cheap too compared to the rest of the league) but I don't personally believe it just yet.

Edited by TWar

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Did he do a good job at Bournemouth though? Seems to me like he spent a fortune and got relegated. Also is he considered a good coach within the game? Seems if he was any good he wouldn't have been unemployed for too long. I grant he is probably cheap and keen, but so are a lot of people. And it won't be cheap if he gets us relegated like he did Bournemouth.

Yes, he done a fantastic job with Bournemouth and achieved a significant amount more than Ralph has with us. 

He took a tiny, tiny club from bottom of league 2 on -15 to a premier league club. I don’t know if you’re too young to remember.   For every season they stayed in the premier league, that was a success. 

You’re judging a manager on 1 bad season out of about 10 (but aren’t for Ralph despite having an appalling record for 30+ games).

His downfall was recruitment and bringing egos into the dressing room. He won’t have that issue here as we don’t have money to spend. 

Unemployment was/is his decision. He’s waiting on the right opportunity. Hence rejecting Celtic at the last minute in the summer (around the same time we spoke to him by the way).

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t have Howe. I don’t think he’d sort our problems. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yes, he done a fantastic job with Bournemouth and achieved a significant amount more than Ralph has with us. 

He took a tiny, tiny club from bottom of league 2 on -15 to a premier league club. I don’t know if you’re too young to remember.   For every season they stayed in the premier league, that was a success. 

You’re judging a manager on 1 bad season out of about 10 (but aren’t for Ralph despite having an appalling record for 30+ games).

His downfall was recruitment and bringing egos into the dressing room. He won’t have that issue here as we don’t have money to spend. 

Unemployment was/is his decision. He’s waiting on the right opportunity. Hence rejecting Celtic at the last minute in the summer (around the same time we spoke to him by the way).

For what it’s worth, I wouldn’t have Howe. I don’t think he’d sort our problems. 

Being a good manager in the small leagues isn't really a good measure of how likely he is to succeed in the prem, plenty of managers can smash lesser opposition (especially with generous spending) but not hack it in the prem. In the prem he spent an absolute fortune and never crested 50 pts. Ralph spent an absolute fraction of that and managed on his first attempt.

Eddie Howe is like Atkins, great for guiding a team with too much talent/money for it's league position upwards but not a "top" manager. And he showed that when he actually got funding and competed against other top managers.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Pilchards said:

JWP sponsors the team.

Please....just stop, the more you say, the more ridiculous it sounds

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I don’t like Eddie Howe as a bloke, don’t want him managing us, but to suggest he didn’t do a fantastic job at Boscombe is just ridiculous. Whether he can do it at another club is open to debate, but the lack of respect from some on here for what he did achieve there is pathetic. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dman said:

He was backed by the owner's money all the way up the leagues - and yet failed on recruitment (your words but i agree).

At saints, he won't have money, and he can't afford to fail at recruitment.

Tactically and as a man manger, he is bang average or poor. There is a reason he is still unemployed and it isn't because Southampton is the centre of his universe.

Bournemouth are flying without him as well.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, jimmer42 said:

Please....just stop, the more you say, the more ridiculous it sounds

What makes you think that our captain (and managers pet) wouldnt tell 'Dave the Builder' many of the private goings on behind the scenes at the club?
Especially the really confidential and sensitive stuff like 'the current manager will be sacked by the end of October (regardless of how good his results are) and Eddie Howe will be taking over'?
Maybe JWP advised him to put a wager on it as payment for some renovations 🤔

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

15 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don’t like Eddie Howe as a bloke, don’t want him managing us, but to suggest he didn’t do a fantastic job at Boscombe is just ridiculous. Whether he can do it at another club is open to debate, but the lack of respect from some on here for what he did achieve there is pathetic. 

He / they did spend a ridiculous / huge amount of money to get them to the PL compared to other teams in each league they got promoted from though, so there is that caveat tbh

I like Howe and yes he did a good job at bournemouth 👍

6 minutes ago, le_tiss said:

He / they did spend a ridiculous / huge amount of money to get them to the PL compared to other teams in each league they got promoted from though, so there is that caveat tbh

I like Howe and yes he did a good job at bournemouth 👍

He did well in lower leagues imo, not suited to the prem though. It, for me, is what we would have likely looked like if we had retained Adkins instead of being ambitious and bringing in Poch. Ambition over sentiment is the way to go in this game. 

42 minutes ago, TWar said:

He did well in lower leagues imo, not suited to the prem though. It, for me, is what we would have likely looked like if we had retained Adkins instead of being ambitious and bringing in Poch. Ambition over sentiment is the way to go in this game. 

Except he kept Bournemouth in the prem for 5 seasons playing more attractive football than most bottom half teams. 

21 minutes ago, SaintSteve said:

Except he kept Bournemouth in the prem for 5 seasons playing more attractive football than most bottom half teams. 

When you spend what they did I don't think "keeping them in the Premier league" should be the goal. They invested an absolute fortune over those 5 years compared to what we spend. Their football was attractive, yeah, but that doesn't pay the bills. 

5 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Rule I of this forum "the messenger must always be shot especially if he brings bad or negative news about the club"

Rule 2, if you make bold claims and they don't come off people are likely to take the piss. 

4 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Dave don’t give a shit as he hates us with a passion.

The twat even told me he put a Pompey scarf in between my brick work.

I've got my doubts about Dave's honesty.  Luckily there's a way to prove whether we can trust his word.  @Pilchardsyou are going to take the wall down to see if there is a scarf

3 hours ago, Dman said:

I'm sorry @Dmanbut I can't just bring myself to believe what you write.  There's a pattern to your contribution which has me questioning your motivation.  

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If Ralph wasn't here I can imagine Howe being one of the favourites for the job, and it wouldn't surprise me if we went for him.  I don't believe this revisionist history that has him labelled a poor manager who bought his way to success and then failed at the top level.  He undoubtedly had a major role in what was an extraordinary story, both to get to the premier league and then stay there much longer than expected.  He wouldn't personally be my choice but we could do, and have done, worse.

I saw this table posted on another forum when discussing Howe's move to Newcastle, which goes to show the resources he was working with at Bournemouth and why their relegation looks really poor on his record:

Courtesy of Transfermarkt, we’ve ranked the 20 current Premier League clubs by their net spend over the past five years.

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
8. Bournemouth – £176.95m
9. Aston Villa – £166.65m
10. Watford – £125.69m
11. Leicester City – £124.83m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
16. Crystal Palace – £75.69m
17. Burnley – £59.4m
18. Sheffield United – £56.71m
19. Southampton – £22.32m
20. Norwich City – £25.42m profit

16 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

I saw this table posted on another forum when discussing Howe's move to Newcastle, which goes to show the resources he was working with at Bournemouth and why their relegation looks really poor on his record:

Courtesy of Transfermarkt, we’ve ranked the 20 current Premier League clubs by their net spend over the past five years.

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

This is why I struggle with this narrative of Bournemouth as this plucky little side that Howe managed to keep up with immense talent. That side cost an absolute fortune, people only praise him because of his (also financially aided) success in the lower leagues. As a top flight manager he was mediocre at best. 

Edited by TWar

40 minutes ago, HarvSFC said:

1. Man City – £601.98m
2. Man Utd – £484.88m
3. Arsenal – £267.88m
4. Everton – £225.42m
5. Brighton – £214.86m
6. Wolves – £205.22m
7. West Ham – £187.49m
10. Watford – £125.69m
12. Newcastle – £122.91m
13. Chelsea – £115.57m
14. Liverpool – £107.58m
15. Tottenham – £106.62m
17. Burnley – £59.4m

Brighton have a net spend of £214.86m?.....does that include the stadium!?

Edited by CAH61

26 minutes ago, TWar said:

This is why I struggle with this narrative of Bournemouth as this plucky little side that Howe managed to keep up with immense talent. That side cost an absolute fortune, people only praise him because of his (also financially aided) success in the lower leagues. As a top flight manager he was mediocre at best. 

Since relegation they've received £108m in transfers out, while spending £4m, so I think that should come off the total to make it more meaningful.  That takes their net spending down to about average for a team coming up to the division and spending to stay.

When they first came up they had (something like) 5 or 6 players who's journeyed all the way from league 2 with them. For me it's a great story and almost unparalleled.  Sure they lost their way after the first couple of years in the Premier league and spent poorly - but we shouldn't be the ones to judge; that would be hypocritical.  We just got lucky by selling assets while not getting relegated.

My cousin is mad Bournemouth and he is the first to concede that the fairytale ended sourly, Howe probably should have gone a year or two before when he could have got a really good job and their recruitment needed someone like Crocker.  But what Howe did for the club is written in the history books and I think its wrong to disparage it.'

Edited by The Left Back
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, The Left Back said:

Since relegation they've received £108m in transfers out, while spending £4m, so I think that should come off the total to make it more meaningful.  That takes their net spending down to about average for a team coming up to the division and spending to stay.

When they first came up they had (something like) 5 or 6 players who's journeyed all the way from league 2 with them. For me it's a great story and almost unparalleled.  Sure they lost their way after the first couple of years in the Premier league and spent poorly - but we shouldn't be the ones to judge; that would be hypocritical.  We just got lucky by selling assets while not getting relegated.

My cousin is mad Bournemouth and he is the first to concede that the fairytale ended sourly, Howe probably should have gone a year or two before when he could have got a really good job and their recruitment needed someone like Crocker.  But what Howe did for the club is written in the history books and I think its wrong to disparage it.'

I think the fact they were able to make £100m of sales after going down further shows the quality of side he had at his disposal. I'm not sure sales after relegation and after Howe leaving really show anything, he had those players which were sold when relegated and still couldn't keep them up.

I agree it's a great story, Adkins was also a great story and I love the man. But neither of them are really prem level imo. 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

When you spend what they did I don't think "keeping them in the Premier league" should be the goal. They invested an absolute fortune over those 5 years compared to what we spend. Their football was attractive, yeah, but that doesn't pay the bills. 

I think you’ll find both clubs spent approximately the same on incoming transfers from the 2014/15 seasons. Worth researching before making assumptions.

6 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Just to pove you're not bull$hitting, which oneof these gentlemen is your ITK builder?

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dman said:

The only way you could possibly say with 100% complete certainty that talks have taken place between Saints and Howe re his replacing Ralph as manager is if you were personally involved in those talks. Anything else is hearsay; even if that was both Howe and Semmens telling you personally that is what they they were discussing as they walked out of a room together.

4 hours ago, Dman said:

If you compare everything Howe has done as manager of Bournemouth with only that which Ralph has accomplished at Saints then yes, he has achieved more - by 3 promotions.

However, if you compare their successes in the Premier League then Ralph (despite having 2 seasons less in management in said league and spending far, far, less on bringing players in than Howe spent) has achieved: the higher league finish; the greater points tally in one season; the most wins in one season; a (marginally) better points per game tally than Howe. I would say all of those would make him the better manager for this league.

I also sincerely doubt that Howe would be capable of getting Leipzig to finish 2nd in the Bundesliga. 

18 minutes ago, SaintSteve said:

I think you’ll find both clubs spent approximately the same on incoming transfers from the 2014/15 seasons. Worth researching before making assumptions.

Yeah, but we sold like crazy and they didn't. People do net spend normally as its a fairer metric. If we hadn't sold and had vvd, Mane, Shaw etc. In the last few years and had our league finishes then yeah, we'd be underperformers too

Edited by TWar

12 minutes ago, SaintSteve said:

I think the only true comparison should be how much was Bournemouth's net spend in the premier league under Howe compared to Saints net spend under Ralph.

Haven't looked/checked personally, but I'm pretty sure Howe's is going to be the higher - by quite some margin.