Which 90s band are you regretting the last 25-30 years over?

Turkish

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Yeah got loads of vinyl - pistols, buzzcocks, 60s, 70s, 80s ska. 7”, 12” albums but they are not going anywhere 😀

I chucked all mine away. Have also chucked hundreds and hundreds of CD’s away as well. I’ll be fucked if I suddenly couldn’t afford Apple Music as I basically own fuck all now. 

3 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Morcheeba - excellent seen them a few times.

Went to a festival in Lisbon in 2012 and was extremely happy to discover Morcheeba had been drafted in as a last minute replacement for headliners Florence and the Machine, who had to pull out because Flo had a throat infection.

33 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I chucked all mine away. Have also chucked hundreds and hundreds of CD’s away as well. I’ll be fucked if I suddenly couldn’t afford Apple Music as I basically own fuck all now. 

I sat for months uploading all my music to iTunes. So I’m cool that is all in the cloud now. I just cannot chuck it all away it means to much to me - better than any diary.

I was never really a fan of most of the indie bands already mentioned in the 90s. I was a fully signed up member of the rave revolution in the early 90s and got into DJing, so pretty much all of my music budget in the 90s was spent on dance vinyl.

When I did buy albums on CD it was from the likes of Orbital, Chemical Bros, Prodigy etc.. but I also liked the Bristol trip hop sound so got into Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Lamb etc...

I liked the first couple of albums from Jamiroquai, but he disappeared up his own arse when he got really famous and everything after Space Cowboy was shite.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I was never really a fan of most of the indie bands already mentioned in the 90s. I was a fully signed up member of the rave revolution in the early 90s and got into DJing, so pretty much all of my music budget in the 90s was spent on dance vinyl.

When I did buy albums on CD it was from the likes of Orbital, Chemical Bros, Prodigy etc.. but I also liked the Bristol trip hop sound so got into Massive Attack, Portishead, Tricky, Lamb etc...

I liked the first couple of albums from Jamiroquai, but he disappeared up his own arse when he got really famous and everything after Space Cowboy was shite.

👍 in general how about the aloof?

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

👍 in general how about the aloof?

I knew the name but never really explored their music.

I was excited by what was going on with electronic music in the 90s, and thought guitar/indie music was too limited and had run its course. Loved stuff like Leftfield, Eat Static, Squarepusher, Zion Train, FSOL, Aphex Twin etc..

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I was excited by what was going on with electronic music in the 90s, and thought guitar/indie music was too limited and had run its course. Loved stuff like Leftfield, Eat Static, Squarepusher, Zion Train, FSOL, Aphex Twin etc..

Went to see eat static and banco de gia in frome a year or so ago - outstanding.  

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

All of those were class. Lamb were excellent. 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

All of those were class. Lamb were excellent. 

Chemical bros and underworld on the other stage at Glastonbury- fook me what a night!

prodigy at Glastonbury- keith in a giant hamster ball - what can you say?

Edited by Toadhall Saint
Bloody predictive text

35 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I sat for months uploading all my music to iTunes. So I’m cool that is all in the cloud now. I just cannot chuck it all away it means to much to me - better than any diary.

I’ve got access to virtually everything on Apple but I still have box loads of vinyl, tapes and CDs in the attic which I can’t bring myself to part with. Renting music is convenient but there is something about actually owning something that is important to you. There are vinyl albums that I will probably never play again in that form but I just love the album covers.

57 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Lol what a colossal wanker he was/is. Like completely world beating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

I’ve got access to virtually everything on Apple but I still have box loads of vinyl, tapes and CDs in the attic which I can’t bring myself to part with. Renting music is convenient but there is something about actually owning something that is important to you. There are vinyl albums that I will probably never play again in that form but I just love the album covers.

It’s the notes the who else appears on the albums who produced etc etc - none of that is available on digital singles/downloads now.  Give me a gatefold any day 

Edited by Toadhall Saint

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

It’s the notes the who else appears on the albums who produced etc etc - none of that is available on digital singles/downloads now.  Give me a gatefold any day 

These days people don’t listens to albums. Albums used to be stories, the excitement Of getting queuing to get it getting home and listening to it over and over again. now a lot of people just download the songs they like or skip through the album. 

15 minutes ago, Turkish said:

These days people don’t listens to albums. Albums used to be stories, the excitement Of getting queuing to get it getting home and listening to it over and over again. now a lot of people just download the songs they like or skip through the album. 

Pfff so much missed. Makes music a bit throw away - not for me. I love getting new music whatever it is. Been getting into northern soul recently - so much new (old) stuff!! Not for everyone but that’s the beauty of music no? It encapsulates a time but doesn’t bind it to a time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Pfff so much missed. Makes music a bit throw away - not for me. I love getting new music whatever it is. Been getting into northern soul recently - so much new (old) stuff!! Not for everyone but that’s the beauty of music no? It encapsulates a time but doesn’t bind it to a time. 

Yep, there is something about opening a new record, discovering something new, or rediscovering something from the past. I love everything from the cover, sometimes they print the lyrics, there's other blurb, maybe a random poster, and then there's listening to the whole thing, not just a track or two. I'm gathering a right random selection, loads of older stuff, newer, bits of jazz, and whatever. Must get some northern soul in there too, always enjoy it but haven't invested yet. 

10 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Never really got the whole Britpop thing as it was totally derivative of the 60s. The argument between Oasis and Blur about which one of them was The Beatles (and between the Gallagher bros as to who was John Lennon) was just embarrassing. Don’t get how the Verve headlined Glastonbury with maybe 3 good tunes to their name (although Mrs SOG likes Richard Ashcroft and his solo stuff is better).

I still listen to R.E.M., James, Ash, Moby, Massive Attack, Lloyd Cole and dug out some Corrs and Cranberries CDs the other day, but having grown up in the 60’s and 70’s was spoilt when it came to my golden era and the 90’s pales in comparison.

Here's the thing, everyones golden era is the one they grew up in.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yes, still have these playing on my Spotify playlists, as well as other stuff from 90's Warp and Ninjatune

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:

Here's the thing, everyones golden era is the one they grew up in.

Indeed. I wouldn’t change mine for anything but I’m sure there are people getting into music now who think the same about current bands. I’ve just read a piece by Paul McCatrney where he talks about Elvis, Little Richard, Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly etc. The guitar bands I grew up listening to were all influenced by that stuff but I wasn't interested in their influences, only them so I had the Beatles, The Who, Small Faces, Kinks, Animals etc as my golden era.

Looking back I would say my favourite musical decade was mid 60’s to mid 70’s.

Edited by sadoldgit
Addition

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

I used to sit and listen to albums right through, but now I’ve started chopping and changing them a bit with singles or additional tracks not on the original. I started with “Pepper”, cutting out Harrison’s dirge “within you without you” and replacing it with “strawberry fields forever” (which was recorded around the same time).

Sacrilege, I know.  But I did read an article where George Martin said he used to put the weakest track as the first one on side 2, so people could drop the needle on the second track when they flipped it over. 

My 17 year old daughter and her immediate friends aren't into bands or any type of music scene at all. They flit around music of all types and from all eras. I know there are others in her age group that are into a scene, like emos, grime and a couple she knowd into new jazz, but not many.

When we were younger there were different scenes and I can map my growing up by the bands I was really into, Thompson Twins (we have to start somewhere), Tears for Fears, The Smiths, Billy Bragg, The Stone Roses, REM. The buzz of getting into a band was brilliant, I remember seeing The Stone Roses on Snub TV before the album came out and feeling big going into the record shop asking for it. I was the first kid a sixth form to have flares and was so into them. Ever since The Stone Roses I've been waiting for another band to come along to give me that same buzz, it hasn't happened. 

I got a record player (the proper name) for my 50th and I'm starting to buy records again, after my mum chucked mine away after I left home (I never forgave her). Listening to a whole album from start to finish is a joy, and vinyls help because it's too inconvenient to flit around different records. When I'm listening electronically I'm forever bouncing around all over the place.

Good thread this, its made me go down a few nostalgic rabbit holes.

22 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I've seen all of them at some point. I was really into Warp stuff like Autechre and B12 and the minimal Detroit stuff. Went to loads of the early Big Chill festivals seeing bands like Biosphere, Higher Intelligence Agency, Global Communication etc.

Did you ever go to any Megadog events? They were great fun.

22 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Went to see eat static and banco de gia in frome a year or so ago - outstanding.  

I remember seeing Eat Static play in Salisbury once which seems very random now. Once walked for about an hour through chronic mud at Glastonbury to see Banco de Gaia only to find the stage they were meant to be playing on had sunk!

Edited by The Cat

22 hours ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Chemical bros and underworld on the other stage at Glastonbury- fook me what a night!

prodigy at Glastonbury- keith in a giant hamster ball - what can you say?

I saw Chemical Brothers and Prodigy back to back in a pretty small tent at Phoenix Festival just about the time Firestarter came out. It was absolute carnage.

20 hours ago, Turkish said:

In general they don't but if you go into record shops now there a lot of youngsters which is good to see. It's not just sad old blokes in their mid-40's like me.

25 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I remember seeing Eat Static play in Salisbury once which seems very random now. 

Went to see them at the Alleycat in Reading around 1996. They were nearly 2 hours late coming on, apparently because they had overdone it a bit with the drugs backstage and needed to come down a bit before they could play!

Never went to any Megadog events. Me and some mates did once drive all the way to Taunton for a Spiral Tribe free party, only to turn around immediately when we saw a police riot van parked on the lane and a group of lads coming down the hill with blood everywhere!

Edited by Sheaf Saint

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Went to see them at the Alleycat in Reading around 1996. They were nearly 2 hours coming on, apparently because they had overdone it a bit with the drugs backstage and needed to come down a bit before they could play!

Never went to any Megadog events. Me and some mates did once drive all the way to Taunton for a Spiral Tribe free party, only to turn around immediately when we saw a police riot van parked on the lane and a group of lads coming down the hill with blood everywhere!

Hahaha. Some of those West Country events were a bit sketchy. I had a mate at Uni who came from Teignmouth so we went to a couple of free parties around there which were interesting although I don't recall seeing any blood!

4 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Hahaha. Some of those West Country events were a bit sketchy. I had a mate at Uni who came from Teignmouth so we went to a couple of free parties around there which were interesting although I don't recall seeing any blood!

Story I heard was that when they refused to pack up and leave, the police charged the party with batons.

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Went to see them at the Alleycat in Reading around 1996. They were nearly 2 hours late coming on, apparently because they had overdone it a bit with the drugs backstage and needed to come down a bit before they could play!

What’s venue the alley cat was. Also see you’ve done the leadmill, another great venue. 

11 hours ago, Turkish said:

What’s venue the alley cat was. Also see you’ve done the leadmill, another great venue. 

Not sure what it became / is now. I lived and worked in Reading only briefly in the 90s and haven't been back there since. I remember it was next to the Purple Turtle, which was a well known indie bar that a few of my work mates liked to frequent. It was a decent venue, on two floors IIRC.

Love the Leadmill though. Been to quite a few gigs and club nights there since I moved up here in 2004. Best live music venue in South Yorkshire hands down.

1 minute ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Not sure what it became / is now. I lived and worked in Reading only briefly in the 90s and haven't been back there since. I remember it was next to the Purple Turtle, which was a well known indie bar that a few of my work mates liked to frequent. It was a decent venue, on two floors IIRC.

Love the Leadmill though. Been to quite a few gigs and club nights there since I moved up here in 2004. Best live music venue in South Yorkshire hands down.

Yep been to the purple turtle quite a few times. Got quite a few mates in and around Reading so used to go their a fair bit.

When I first started coming up north Leeds Town and Country was a great venue, had a place next door call the Underground which was a good for live soul & acid Jazz which was quite popular in the mid nineties that sort of stuff. Town and country is now the O2 academy, still a great venue for live music. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Yep been to the purple turtle quite a few times. Got quite a few mates in and around Reading so used to go their a fair bit.

When I first started coming up north Leeds Town and Country was a great venue, had a place next door call the Underground which was a good for live soul & acid Jazz which was quite popular in the mid nineties that sort of stuff. Town and country is now the O2 academy, still a great venue for live music. 

I have a few mates in Leeds and they all tell me the best place for live music these days is the Brudenell social club. Keep meaning to get up there for a gig but not managed it yet.

My biggest musical regret comes from the early '70's. David Bowie was doing his Ziggy Stardust tour. I can remember agreeing with my pals that as we had too much homework that night we wouldn't bother going to see him. 😩

On the other hand I did gain enormous streetcred with junior Tame when he started to watch the DVD of Queen at Wembley and I was able to say that I was at that concert.

If I could revisit one year for music alone it would have to be 1972. I saw some of the most memorable concerts of my life from albums released that year - Trilogy, Emerson, Lake & Palmer - Close To The Edge, Yes - Foxtrot, Genesis - Machine Head and Made In Japan, Deep Purple.

Other great albums released that year included Thick As A Brick, Jethro Tull and Exile On Mainstreet, The Rolling Stones. 

Hard to believe that, in a few weeks time, all this stuff happen half a century ago!

10 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I have a few mates in Leeds and they all tell me the best place for live music these days is the Brudenell social club. Keep meaning to get up there for a gig but not managed it yet.

Brudenell gets loads of good gigs. It's on the same circuit for bands as the Joiners. 

Purple Turtle is still going in Reading but doesn't have much going on now. Most of the decent stuff is at Sub89.

Have to say Southampton is absolutely great for gigs now. The past few years we have had a glut of quality bands playing at Joiners, Heartbreakers and a few other venues. 

We obviously don't get as much traffic as some of the bigger cities and still painfully lack a decent bigger venue because the Guildhall is shit, but the promotors here are really on their game now.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Cat said:

Brudenell gets loads of good gigs. It's on the same circuit for bands as the Joiners. 

Purple Turtle is still going in Reading but doesn't have much going on now. Most of the decent stuff is at Sub89.

Have to say Southampton is absolutely great for gigs now. The past few years we have had a glut of quality bands playing at Joiners, Heartbreakers and a few other venues. 

We obviously don't get as much traffic as some of the bigger cities and still painfully lack a decent bigger venue because the Guildhall is shit, but the promotors here are really on their game now.

I remember going to see Faithless at the Guildhall early 00s and the sound was just awful. Have they still got the speakers mounted half way up the wall like they used to be? It's a shame there aren't any better large venues in the city.

That's one of the main reasons I jumped at the chance to move to Sheffield when I was offered it. There's some great venues here, but even we still miss out on some of the bigger names. Luckily Manchester is only an hour away by train, and if anyone is doing a UK tour they are pretty much guaranteed to be playing there. Saw Portishead at the Apollo when they made their 2008 comeback. Best gig of my life bar none.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I remember going to see Faithless at the Guildhall early 00s and the sound was just awful. Have they still got the speakers mounted half way up the wall like they used to be? It's a shame there aren't any better large venues in the city.

That's one of the main reasons I jumped at the chance to move to Sheffield when I was offered it. There's some great venues here, but even we still miss out on some of the bigger names. Luckily Manchester is only an hour away by train, and if anyone is doing a UK tour they are pretty much guaranteed to be playing there. Saw Portishead at the Apollo when they made their 2008 comeback. Best gig of my life bar none.

Portishead played the Guildhall on the Dummy tour, that one wasn't actually too bad sound wise. I walked out of a Zero 7 gig there once because it was so bad.

It's still shit. Saw Fontaines there a few weeks back and the sound wasn't up to much, speakers are still the same ones they probably had in 1992!

You're in a good spot there. I tend to favour Brighton for bigger stuff which isn't too far. It's especially good if it's a weekend gig as it's an excuse to wander around the city. Going there in a few weeks to see Little Simz which I'm very much looking forward to.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, skintsaint said:

I went to a World Dance at Lydd airfield which must have been around 1994. Also saw Prodigy in Folkestone must have been around 1992. Great times as a very young lad.

Surprised we got this far and not one mention of the Spice Girls 😆

Wrong .......

On 11/11/2021 at 14:26, badgerx16 said:

The 90s bands I regret are such as the Spice Girls and N'Sync. I regret ever having experienced them, if only for a fleeting moment.

However, I do not for a second 'regret' discovering the music of the Foo Fighters, RATM, or Queens of the Stone Age.

Edited by badgerx16