Which 90s band are you regretting the last 25-30 years over?

Turkish

Suede - it’s the 25th anniversary of coming up this year. Suede were the band that started Brit pop, disappeared then reappeared with this master piece. Lots of references to drugs so to listen to it again will probably remind you on the time you cough your guts up after trying a spliff 

oasis - liams new tour has gone down a storm. All those 40+s i25,000th in the queue to try and pretend they were at knebworth the first time Round competing for tickets with kids who weren’t even born then a bit sad

pulp - great band but if transgender wasn’t a thing in the 90s we obviously ignored the warning signs. Anyone thinking of transitioning should simply how their bigoted parents the front cover of the different class  CD to show them why they shouldn’t be surprised what they’ve spawned 

Radiohead - and you wonder why mental health is an issue these days you listened to this nonsense parents!

Edited by Turkish

Never liked Oasis.  Always preferred Blur when they were having that rivalry.  I still listen to Coffee and TV from time to time. 

Used to like a few Happy Mondays tracks but they're all a bit cringey now.  Still listen to Belle and Sebastian now and then and Placebo's Black Market Music (drug references all over the shop).  

Talking of embarrassing, I have the album New Values by Iggy Pop but only ever listen to Bored and the sublime Don't Look Down.  Had my ipod on shuffle the other day and got treated to African Man.  Bloody hell.  Glad I didn't have people round.  

22 hours ago, Turkish said:

Suede - it’s the 25th anniversary of coming up this year. Suede were the band that started Brit pop, disappeared then reappeared with this master piece. Lots of references to drugs so to listen to it again will probably remind you on the time you cough your guts up after trying a spliff 

oasis - liams new tour has gone down a storm. All those 40+s i25,000th in the queue to try and pretend they were at knebworth the first time Round competing for tickets with kids who weren’t even born then a bit sad

pulp - great band but if transgender wasn’t a thing in the 90s we obviously ignored the warning signs. Anyone thinking of transitioning should simply how their bigoted parents the front cover of the different class  CD to show them why they shouldn’t be surprised what they’ve spawned 

Radiohead - and you wonder why mental health is an issue these days you listened to this nonsense parents!

This post was edited an hour after it was first made and it’s still fucking gibberish. 

• Like 1

Radiohead by a mile are the best band of that generation. I love the way they changed their style and carried on making great music.

Never liked Suede, can't stand Oasis. Blur were ok but I don't own any of their albums. Pulp were interesting but I never really listened to them.

I didn't care much for indie in the 90's, was mostly into electronic stuff like Aphex Twin and still am. 

Of the bands from that time I really liked I'd be looking at Massive Attack, Mezzanine is one of my favourite albums of that decade, plus Super Furry Animals and also PJ Harvey. She's pretty damn amazing.

• Like 3

Watched both Blur and Oasis live eg Earls Court 1995, latter good tunes but odd lyrics eg slowly walking down the hall, faster than a cannonball and former slightly twee tunes but a bit more intelligible. 

Ok Computer fab album by Radiohead but not the cheeriest lyrics, Pulp interesting and witty. Suede weren’t bad. Gene were a decent indie type group. Stone Roses probably pre Britpop, great first time round, bit whiny sounding the second. Verve overrated. I also saw Bluetones in 1997, friends saw them a few years later in Southampton and they opened their set with Barbara Streisand and Woman in Love. How random!

I did like some fairly fringe stuff eg Portishead and adding to the Bristol vibe Massive Attack. Primal Scream decent. Diet of commercial house at clubs in the weekend back then which was fun eg buses to Opera House or Tower Park in Poole or Ministry of Sound before Garage came along start of 2000s and you realise the scene has moved on. I used to enjoy jazz on a night out - Ronnie Scott’s or pop over to Belgium to listen to it in the cafes over there.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, The Cat said:

Radiohead by a mile are the best band of that generation. I love the way they changed their style and carried on making great music.

When Kid A came out I put it on and was disappointed, didn't listen again for a few weeks.  Driving down to Cornwall I gave it another chance.  Actually that first track is ok I thought, same for the second.  Listened to the lot and it started to sink in.  It remains probably my favourite album of theirs and was influential as hell.  

The 90s bands I regret are such as the Spice Girls and N'Sync. I regret ever having experienced them, if only for a fleeting moment.

However, I do not for a second 'regret' discovering the music of the Foo Fighters, RATM, or Queens of the Stone Age.

Edited by badgerx16

6 hours ago, Manuel said:

When Kid A came out I put it on and was disappointed, didn't listen again for a few weeks.  Driving down to Cornwall I gave it another chance.  Actually that first track is ok I thought, same for the second.  Listened to the lot and it started to sink in.  It remains probably my favourite album of theirs and was influential as hell.  

Oh totally. As a fan of the music that influenced them I remember loving it and having many discussions with the fans of their older music about how great I thought it was.

Went to see them in Oxford on that tour and people were arguing in the crowd about Kid A.

7 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Apart from  a few honourable exceptions, music has been pretty much in the toilet since about 1980. 

How many of the thousands and thousands of bands and artists that have been making music since that time have you heard to make that sort of sweeping generalisation?

I spend a lot of time seeking out new stuff and I feel that I barely scratched the surface. Almost every day I'm turned onto something I've never heard of that sounds great so I find your statement somewhat bizarre. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Massive attack were brilliant. St Ettiene also very good

of course the Verve. Richard Ashcrofts new album is excellent. Lots of acoustic covers of verve hits

Yep, St Etienne superb. I picked up Ashcroft's latest on vinyl yesterday, absolutely brilliant. Forgot how good his voice is. 

The 90's on the hole was a real mixed musical decade. I never got Oasis or Blur; Radiohead were genius but musically and vocally dull; I loved The Sundays - reading, writing, arithmetic was a superb album; Belly as well; The Cure continued to be amazing; Stone Roses peaked in 1989 and second coming was average, but Ian Brown pushed out some food stuff - unfinished monkey business is a great album; Ride were superb and threw out a few cracking albums; REM knocked out some good stuff, automatic for the people isn't shabby; Nirvana of course, and we still just about had the Pixies. 

Maybe it wasn't that bad after all. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, St Etienne superb. I picked up Ashcroft's latest on vinyl yesterday, absolutely brilliant. Forgot how good his voice is. 

The 90's on the hole was a real mixed musical decade. I never got Oasis or Blur; Radiohead were genius but musically and vocally dull; I loved The Sundays - reading, writing, arithmetic was a superb album; Belly as well; The Cure continued to be amazing; Stone Roses peaked in 1989 and second coming was average, but Ian Brown pushed out some food stuff - unfinished monkey business is a great album; Ride were superb and threw out a few cracking albums; REM knocked out some good stuff, automatic for the people isn't shabby; Nirvana of course, and we still just about had the Pixies. 

Saw St Etienne live just after the 90s, at the time of the Finesterre album so early 2000s I reckon, at the Royal Festival Hall. Only gig I’ve been to where there’s been a friendly stage invasion. Sarah Cracknell brilliant. The album before that, Sound of Water was very very good although the 90s albums are the classic ones - Foxbase Alpha, Tiger Bay and Good Humor. 

90s were good, first Saints away games as well although saw some hammerings! Was at University in that era. One group that started in that era was Air and the oddest gig I went to at the Guildhall in the Moon Safari period was theirs. Air was what we needed as a group of teenagers were at the front near the stage smoking some very, very strong and suffocating stuff (it was never my thing as a non smoker, even at Uni. Beer yes, that no). Nobody was dancing, like a large chill house room late on in one of the 90s club nights, and the music was per the album. An experience I guess. Zero Seven good but outside this time period. 

The Lightning Seeds played a warm up gig at our Uni for 3 Lions. That was pretty amazing. Morcheeba are another 90s band I listened to. Supergrass - went to quite a few of their gigs. They divided our group of friends, some liked them (I did) but to others they were ‘fucking shit’. Someone mentioned Paul Weller - Wild Wood always went on the jukebox if we were in the Parkside Tavern, and Stanley Road great album including After the Sinking which was the Sky Super Sunday music for a while. One of St Etienne’s later tracks has been BBC Final Score for years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

I spend a lot of time seeking out new stuff and I feel that I barely scratched the surface. Almost every day I'm turned onto something I've never heard of that sounds great so I find your statement somewhat bizarre. 

You can go back in time and find new stuff (as in something you’ve never heard before).

Personally, I think the timeframe  from Rubber Soul to The Last Waltz, the greatest musical era. But clearly music is a personal thing, so I should of added “in my opinion”, before my toilet comment. 

Apart from Dawes I haven’t heard anything since Paul Weller that floats my boat. I particularly dislike the 80’s where even a genius like Stevie Wonder produced some complete and utter pony. As for the 90’s, can’t stand oasis, blaggers, recycling old riffs. They were basically a Revolver tribute act, 

43 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You can go back in time and find new stuff (as in something you’ve never heard before).

Personally, I think the timeframe  from Rubber Soul to The Last Waltz, the greatest musical era. But clearly music is a personal thing, so I should of added “in my opinion”, before my toilet comment. 

Apart from Dawes I haven’t heard anything since Paul Weller that floats my boat. I particularly dislike the 80’s where even a genius like Stevie Wonder produced some complete and utter pony. As for the 90’s, can’t stand oasis, blaggers, recycling old riffs. They were basically a Revolver tribute act, 

Agree about Stevie Wonder in the 80's. I think a lot of people got overexcited with the new production techniques and equipment that became available and overused it.

Obviously with straight out guitar music there's only a certain number of chords and some bands do end recording music that sounds similar to older bands.

I guess it depends if you are happy with what you already know, but I love music too much not to keep looking for new artists and music that grabs me and there's some seriously incredible stuff out there. If anything I'd say that we are living in the golden age of music now. There's multiple genres, a huge amount of equipment that's constantly improving plus the availability of the internet to get that music out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Massive attack were brilliant. St Ettiene also very good

of course the Verve. Richard Ashcrofts new album is excellent. Lots of acoustic covers of verve hits

St Etienne's new album is lovely. Really recommend that if you haven't heard it.

2 hours ago, egg said:

Sundays, Chapterhouse, My Bloody Valentine. Loveless was what, 91? A monster of an album that still hugely influences bands now, check out someone like Just Mustard to see that. There's a reasonable shoegaze scene at the moment which I enjoy. Saw a band called White Flowers at the Joiners last week who I really like.

Cure were a bit hit and miss in the 90's but still one of the best bands ever. Their gigs are just stuffed full of hits for nearly 3 hours. Not many bands can pull that off.

I was 14 in 1990 so right at the age for the American grunge era. Remember listening to Ten by Pearl Jam on my walkman on the school bus and it blowing my mind.

• Like 2

For me Depeche mode were incredible in early 90s,  always my favourite band with poss one of best frontmen ever in Dave Gahan, but also loved the indie guitar bands like Kingmaker, Power of Dreams, Eat, early Wonderstuff, PWEI, Senseless things, Manics  and even bands like Nitzer ebb and Nine inch nails, travelled all around from joiners to Wedgwood rooms to Notts uni to Brixton academy to Derby assembly rooms, great times 

13 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I couldn't understand this argument at the time and I still don't.  Presumably you liked Revolver?  So why would you hate something that copied it in your opinion?  

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

I couldn't understand this argument at the time and I still don't.  Presumably you liked Revolver?  So why would you hate something that copied it in your opinion?  

If everyone shared your ridiculous view The Monkees would be considered one of the all time greats. Of course, you don’t really subscribe to this view, you’re just looking for an argument. 

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

If everyone shared your ridiculous view The Monkees would be considered one of the all time greats. Of course, you don’t really subscribe to this view, you’re just looking for an argument. 

Don't be stupid - of course it's a genuine question.  Why would you dislike something because it sounds like something you do like?  Sounds like a bit of an old fart everything modern is rubbish and I don't need to give any reasons why argument but enlighten me.

19 hours ago, egg said:

Have you heard "Last Day on Earth" by Beabadoobee?  Got a very Sundays feel to it.

1 hour ago, revolution saint said:

Don't be stupid - of course it's a genuine question.  Why would you dislike something because it sounds like something you do like?  

The monkees “sound like” pre Rubber Soul Beatles, but they’re considered a joke group, why’s that? Because in your opinion the similarities mean that you have to like them if you like The Beatles.

I presume you can’t like Frank Sinatra without liking Michael Bublé

There’s a delicate balancing act between being influenced by & copying. What makes something innovative, fresh & appealing is the very thing that makes copy cat groups boring and predictable. The Stones became boring and predictable, because they became a tribute act to themselves . There are plenty  of people who thought they were good 45 years ago, but think they’ve made nothing but duds since. In your eyes people  can’t dislike their 1990’s/2000’s shite because they loved Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main St. It’s a pony line of argument. 

47 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The monkees “sound like” pre Rubber Soul Beatles, but they’re considered a joke group, why’s that? Because in your opinion the similarities mean that you have to like them if you like The Beatles.

I presume you can’t like Frank Sinatra without liking Michael Bublé

There’s a delicate balancing act between being influenced by & copying. What makes something innovative, fresh & appealing is the very thing that makes copy cat groups boring and predictable. The Stones became boring and predictable, because they became a tribute act to themselves . There are plenty  of people who thought they were good 45 years ago, but think they’ve made nothing but duds since. In your eyes people  can’t dislike their 1990’s/2000’s shite because they loved Sticky Fingers or Exile on Main St. It’s a pony line of argument. 

I'm not making any opinion on anything except that it seems strange to list a reason why you don't like something because it's similar to something you do like.  I can understand it if you didn't like it as much, thought it was maybe a bit derivative stuff like that.  To come out and actively dislike something, as I say, it's just a bit weird.  I can actually understand the innovative/fresh argument - that's fair enough although, again, I probably wouldn't dislike it if it was a bit formulaic.  You seem quite worked up today LD - give yourself a break and take it easy.

Just now, whelk said:

Tbf it is bordering on genius as I have read a few times trying to work out what might be missing, in wrong order, or a typo but no I have nothing. Do I not like that

That's what happens when you're on your phone on the way home after drinking 8 pints at a gig by a 90s band.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I'm not making any opinion on anything except that it seems strange to list a reason why you don't like something because it's similar to something you do like.  I can understand it if you didn't like it as much, thought it was maybe a bit derivative stuff like that.  To come out and actively dislike something, as I say, it's just a bit weird.  I can actually understand the innovative/fresh argument - that's fair enough although, again, I probably wouldn't dislike it if it was a bit formulaic.  You seem quite worked up today LD - give yourself a break and take it easy.

I was very much influenced by image of a band. Obviously still liked the music but it does say more when at a more impressionable age being one of the first to discover The Stone Roses,  Happy Mondays etc. Now I am far more comfortable with much more eclectic taste from The Smiths, ABBA, Blondie, REM, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Radiohead, Van Morrison, Flock of Seagulls - that was my Spotify mix playlist last few tracks.

7 minutes ago, whelk said:

I was very much influenced by image of a band. Obviously still liked the music but it does say more when at a more impressionable age being one of the first to discover The Stone Roses,  Happy Mondays etc. Now I am far more comfortable with much more eclectic taste from The Smiths, ABBA, Blondie, REM, Pink Floyd, The Beatles, Radiohead, Van Morrison, Flock of Seagulls - that was my Spotify mix playlist last few tracks.

Funnily enough I plan to buy a jukebox soon - it's one of those new ones that holds 80 cds and has bluetooth but has the styling of the Wurlitzer bubbler 1015.  Totally unjustifiable pricetag but looks the absolute business.  Anyway, I've been debating which CDs it'll hold.  Fairly eclectic mix with lots of compilations and Best ofs but The Smiths, Blondie, REM and Radiohead all made the cut.  Probably leaning more on 90s stuff but trying to cover most bases.

23 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Saw St Etienne live just after the 90s, at the time of the Finesterre album so early 2000s I reckon, at the Royal Festival Hall. Only gig I’ve been to where there’s been a friendly stage invasion. Sarah Cracknell brilliant. The album before that, Sound of Water was very very good although the 90s albums are the classic ones - Foxbase Alpha, Tiger Bay and Good Humor. 

90s were good, first Saints away games as well although saw some hammerings! Was at University in that era. One group that started in that era was Air and the oddest gig I went to at the Guildhall in the Moon Safari period was theirs. Air was what we needed as a group of teenagers were at the front near the stage smoking some very, very strong and suffocating stuff (it was never my thing as a non smoker, even at Uni. Beer yes, that no). Nobody was dancing, like a large chill house room late on in one of the 90s club nights, and the music was per the album. An experience I guess. Zero Seven good but outside this time period. 

The Lightning Seeds played a warm up gig at our Uni for 3 Lions. That was pretty amazing. Morcheeba are another 90s band I listened to. Supergrass - went to quite a few of their gigs. They divided our group of friends, some liked them (I did) but to others they were ‘fucking shit’. Someone mentioned Paul Weller - Wild Wood always went on the jukebox if we were in the Parkside Tavern, and Stanley Road great album including After the Sinking which was the Sky Super Sunday music for a while. One of St Etienne’s later tracks has been BBC Final Score for years. 

Morcheeba - excellent seen them a few times.

18 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Funnily enough I plan to buy a jukebox soon - it's one of those new ones that holds 80 cds and has bluetooth but has the styling of the Wurlitzer bubbler 1015.  Totally unjustifiable pricetag but looks the absolute business.  Anyway, I've been debating which CDs it'll hold.  Fairly eclectic mix with lots of compilations and Best ofs but The Smiths, Blondie, REM and Radiohead all made the cut.  Probably leaning more on 90s stuff but trying to cover most bases.

I’m trying to get rid of over 800 cds bloody things 

9 hours ago, Turkish said:

Nor me

Nor me. I did see Oasis at Knebworth however and can confirm it was shit and one of the longest fucking days of my entire life. Didn't get out the place until about 3am due to appalling traffic management, hour long queues at the bar to be rewarded with warm piss weak lager, and they weren't even particularly good live.

22 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I’m trying to get rid of over 800 cds bloody things 

9 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Yeah, the annoying thing is I've got rid of most of my CDs too.  Music Magpie has loads for peanuts though.

I'm not sure cd's will have a vinyl type revival, but I reckon there'll be some kind of bounce back. I'm keeping hold of mine for a while to see how it goes. 

27 minutes ago, stknowle said:

Nor me. I did see Oasis at Knebworth however and can confirm it was shit and one of the longest fucking days of my entire life. Didn't get out the place until about 3am due to appalling traffic management, hour long queues at the bar to be rewarded with warm piss weak lager, and they weren't even particularly good live.

I didn’t go to knebworth, tried but didn’t get tickets. We’d done Maine Road earlier in the year before which was fantastic, so can’t say I was too gutted to miss out in hindsight. One of the best weekends I’ve had was in Dublin in about 2009, saw Oasis, The Prodigy and Kasabian at slane castle. 

1 hour ago, egg said:

I'm not sure cd's will have a vinyl type revival, but I reckon there'll be some kind of bounce back. I'm keeping hold of mine for a while to see how it goes. 

Yeah got loads of vinyl - pistols, buzzcocks, 60s, 70s, 80s ska. 7”, 12” albums but they are not going anywhere 😀

2 hours ago, stknowle said:

We had a great time at Knebworth on the 2nd day, we managed to get in the pit right at the front which was only half full during the support acts so we’re stretched out having a beer on the grass with The Charlatans, Manics, Cast etc playing about 20ft away. Agree about the traffic though, it was taking so long to get out we just slept in the car.

Never really got the whole Britpop thing as it was totally derivative of the 60s. The argument between Oasis and Blur about which one of them was The Beatles (and between the Gallagher bros as to who was John Lennon) was just embarrassing. Don’t get how the Verve headlined Glastonbury with maybe 3 good tunes to their name (although Mrs SOG likes Richard Ashcroft and his solo stuff is better).

I still listen to R.E.M., James, Ash, Moby, Massive Attack, Lloyd Cole and dug out some Corrs and Cranberries CDs the other day, but having grown up in the 60’s and 70’s was spoilt when it came to my golden era and the 90’s pales in comparison.

Just read this again and can’t believe I missed off the Stones Roses (first album) and Feeder. In fact the more I look through my CD collection the more I find stuff from the 90’s that I still really like.

Edited by sadoldgit
Add

6 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Never really got the whole Britpop thing as it was totally derivative of the 60s. The argument between Oasis and Blur about which one of them was The Beatles (and between the Gallagher bros as to who was John Lennon) was just embarrassing. Don’t get how the Verve headlined Glastonbury with maybe 3 good tunes to their name (although Mrs SOG likes Richard Ashcroft and his solo stuff is better).

I still listen to R.E.M., James, Ash, Moby, Massive Attack, Lloyd Cole and dug out some Corrs and Cranberries CDs the other day, but having grown up in the 60’s and 70’s was spoilt when it came to my golden era and the 90’s pales in comparison.

behave

and there wasn’t an argument between oasis and blur about which one was the Beatles