Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

3 hours ago, sledger said:

saints in the top 6 for least shots conceded on target so pretty much most shots on target were goals,hes to young,to small,doesnt command his box and doesnt give confidence to his defence physicaly or mentaly,good goalkeepers run there area.Dont start me on mcarthy doesnt talk,doesnt save anything on his near post or close to him,pretty much every championship keeper i saw last season would be an upgrade on our keepers

Those shots were coming from close in, typically within ten yards. A ‘shot on target’ can be anything from two yards away to forty yards away.

Let’s be clear if we want to make a good first of coming back up we need a new keeper. We were shit last season and bazanu was a major part of that. I hear people say he will come good and maybe he will but  I have seen little evidence of that. He doesn’t make many saves and therefore he doesn’t win us many points. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Galway saint said:

Let’s be clear if we want to make a good first of coming back up we need a new keeper. We were shit last season and bazanu was a major part of that. I hear people say he will come good and maybe he will but  I have seen little evidence of that. He doesn’t make many saves and therefore he doesn’t win us many points. 

I think goalkeeper is the canary in the coalmine position in the upcoming window. It will require difficult but necessary decisions being made to set right. Ideally ending up with a new first team keeper and GB at number two (at best).

• Like 3

Just read the Athletics alternative awards. Aside from us getting a surprising bronze for variety of goals scored they rehashed the best and worst goal stopper. Baz conceded 52 and was expected to concede 16 less, just pipping Messier (12) both miles ahead of the rest who were generally between 1 and 5 either better or worse. 
I’m not sure I believe that if he was average he would only have conceded 36 goals, but it’s interesting that whatever metric they used has Meslier and Bazuna as worst by a country mile. Mc Carthy stats not there for some reason but can’t imagine they were much better.

On the plus side he was 8th in sweeping (defending outside the box) highlighting his ballplaying ability / confidence to leave his box. 
JWP only other player to figure, 9th best in outperforming expected goals (Kane top)

Edited by Hodgey
Mis read numbers

44 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Just read the Athletics alternative awards. Aside from us getting a surprising bronze for variety of goals scored they rehashed the best and worst goal stopper. Baz conceded 37 and was expected to concede 16 less, just pipping Messier (12) both miles ahead of the rest who were generally between 1 and 5 either better or worse. 
I’m not sure I believe that if he was average he would only have conceded 21 goals, but it’s interesting that whatever metric they used has Meslier and Bazuna as worst by a country mile. Mc Carthy stats not there for some reason but can’t imagine they were much better.

On the plus side he was 8th in sweeping (defending outside the box) highlighting his ballplaying ability / confidence to leave his box. 
JWP only other player to figure, 9th best in outperforming expected goals (Kane top)

Bazunu conceded a lot more than 37, not sure where you got that number from. 

48 minutes ago, Hodgey said:

Just read the Athletics alternative awards. Aside from us getting a surprising bronze for variety of goals scored they rehashed the best and worst goal stopper. Baz conceded 37 and was expected to concede 16 less, just pipping Messier (12) both miles ahead of the rest who were generally between 1 and 5 either better or worse. 
I’m not sure I believe that if he was average he would only have conceded 21 goals, but it’s interesting that whatever metric they used has Meslier and Bazuna as worst by a country mile. Mc Carthy stats not there for some reason but can’t imagine they were much better.

It's interesting cos wasn't mesiler one of the better keepers the season before.

I think a lot of the goalkeepers metrics are down to the defence they have in front of them.

For god's sake Forster had like a load of clean sheets and was one of the best goalies in the league but we all know it was because he had fonte, Toby (shout out for the screamer to win the league for your home town club last weekend mate) Morgan and big Vic Infront of him with Bertrand and clyne on the sides.

• Like 2

On 11/06/2023 at 07:24, Convict Colony said:

It's interesting cos wasn't mesiler one of the better keepers the season before.

I think a lot of the goalkeepers metrics are down to the defence they have in front of them.

For god's sake Forster had like a load of clean sheets and was one of the best goalies in the league but we all know it was because he had fonte, Toby (shout out for the screamer to win the league for your home town club last weekend mate) Morgan and big Vic Infront of him with Bertrand and clyne on the sides.

Exactly right. Each of our keepers looked like swiss cheese over the past 2 years (or more). Yet, Forster goes on to start in Tottenham and look decent. Bazunu came through Man City and is Ireland's keeper so there is clearly talent there.

The goalies aren't the problem... We would be tragically stupid to get rid of him so early. He will go on to be a world-class keeper. Let's see what he can do with an organized team in front of him. 

Edit: I do not extend this lifeline to McCarthy. You could fit an entire train between his legs or off the near post. The man wears cement cleats. 

Edited by St. Ciervo
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, St. Ciervo said:

Exactly right. Each of our keepers looked like swiss cheese over the past 2 years (or more). Yet, Forster goes on to start in Tottenham and look decent. Bazunu came through Man City and is Ireland's keeper so there is clearly talent there.

The goalies aren't the problem... We would be tragically stupid to get rid of him so early. He will go on to be a world-class keeper. Let's see what he can do with an organized team in front of him. 

Edit: I do not extend this lifeline to McCarthy. You could fit an entire train between his legs or off the near post. The man wears cement cleats. 

“World class keeper”

Really ?

He was really poor last season and was one of the worst in the top European leagues for shot stopping. He cost us a lot of points and gained us hardly any. We need a new keeper if we want to challenge for promotion.

• Like 2

To be fair to the lad he just wasn’t ready to be chucked in at the highest level. I think we could all see that quite early on.

Thats not his fault. Unless there is public information that I’ve missed and he was sold to us with a buy back dependent upon a few cup games and a couple of starts, we will never know. 

I think we need to cut the lad a bit of slack. He is not going to say to any coach he’s not ready to get thrown in. So you have to question our coaches abilities, a lot in all areas in my opinion.

Man City clearly thought a lot of him, ( or did a complete number on us). I’d love to know what they thought, after we stuck him in as Number one from the off.

Keep him as a number two let him develop with some cup games and a few league games. I’m not a coach but it will become clear when the pressures of the kid if he has it or not.

At the moment we will lose a lot of money on the lad, I like to see what he can do without the No1 pressure. See what he can do and either watch him not improve and take the loss, or see if he has got something about him. 

Im sorry but we all seem to be blaming the players and the managers last season.

This is completely correct, but unless I’ve missed the thread, our coaching staff also have a massive amount culpability in our current position.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Galway saint said:

“World class keeper”

Really ?

He was really poor last season and was one of the worst in the top European leagues for shot stopping. He cost us a lot of points and gained us hardly any. We need a new keeper if we want to challenge for promotion.

St. Ciervo didn't say he was world class NOW he said he would become world class.

8 minutes ago, Saint in Paradise said:

St. Ciervo didn't say he was world class NOW he said he would become world class.

What he might become in someone's opinion didn't help us last season, and won't help us next season. He's a liability. 

31 minutes ago, Saint in Paradise said:

I’m happy to be proven wrong but I doubt we will ever be talking about bazanu being world class. At the moment I’d settle for him being championship class but I don’t think he is 

• Like 1

He has the tools. He was just caught in the wrong position at times. That is recognition of the play developing in front of you. You get that through experience. You can't teach the natural talent and athleticism. There is a reason goalies don't hit their prime until much later.

He's going to have a great future. We were just moronic to start him as the youngest keeper in the league.

Edited by St. Ciervo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

What would help the lad would be having a functioning defence in front of him.

I seem to remember an analysis that showed our defence last season ranked among midtable sides in terms of how their stats compared to other teams, but Bazunu conceded so many more than he was expected to that it negated any good work we did. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

I seem to remember an analysis that showed our defence last season ranked among midtable sides in terms of how their stats compared to other teams, but Bazunu conceded so many more than he was expected to that it negated any good work we did. 

That analysis seems to conflict with what we witnessed with our own eyes…

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Our defences was disorganised and full of holes so the stars are flawed.

7 hours ago, St. Ciervo said:

He has the tools. He was just caught in the wrong position at times. That is recognition of the play developing in front of you. You get that through experience. You can't teach the natural talent and athleticism. There is a reason goalies don't hit their prime until much later.

He's going to have a great future. We were just moronic to start him as the youngest keeper in the league.

A goalkeeper who's regularly caught in the wrong position cannot be said to have all the tools. Regardless, his future potential was no good to us last season, and won't be much use to us next season.

We need a first team keeper, not a glorified apprentice. 

7 hours ago, St. Ciervo said:

He is another Angus Gunn....no shame in that, will have a good career, but world class in the making - not a chance

11 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

What would help the lad would be having a functioning defence in front of him.

what you are really saying is, what would help the lad is not having any saves to make.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Chez said:

what you are really saying is, what would help the lad is not having any saves to make.

I mean, that is a bit ridiculous. There is a middle ground between being forced to save high-scoring percentage shots vs. not ever having to make a save... I recall a lot of set plays with unmarked players ripping us apart this year. Any goalie looks like an ass hat in that situation. When we called on McCarthy to take over, I saw zero improvements and more goals from poor scoring positions. I would have preferred to see Baz finish out the year.

Goalies reach their prime in their late 20's or early 30's. To sell him because of this year would be dumber than starting him last year. We saw something in him...Others clubs and Ireland see it, as well. Let him mature and work with Willy in the championship. Learning from that level of veteran will set him up to succeed. 

I am also okay with bringing in another experienced keeper. But it isn't on the top of my wish list. Unpopular opinion perhaps, but it is too easy to blame the goalie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Pulled out a cracking save at the start of the Ireland v Greece game the other day and was Man of the Match.

Man of the match according to who?

Sky ratings gave him a 6 and the highlights didn’t show him doing much outstanding.

I think (and hope) he will come good next season. 

Obviously being thrown in as starting keeper in the Premier League at the age of 20 was too much, too soon for him. 

I still think there's alot of potential there and against less clinical strikers in the Championship his performances should improve.

Also with a new GK coach incoming it might freshen our goalies up.

Edited by Sfcphilc
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TS22 said:

He was the only Irish player to put in a decent performance, stopped it from being 3-0 in the first 10 minutes. Will Smallbone however looked awful.

How dare you, will smallbone came through our academy so you must give him the patience of a saint before you start slagging him off. Bazunu is fair game though and you are free to slag that youngster off all you like.