Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

2 hours ago, Galway saint said:

I don’t see how you can say that and god forbid he’s still our number one next season. He’s the worst keeper in Europe by some distance when it’s comes to shot stopping. It’s not even close. I agree he doesn’t make many absolute howlers but he doesn’t make great saves. He doesn’t deal with crosses well, he flaps and is often found out of position meaning he concedes soft goals. He’s a nothing keeper just a bloke in goal. Objectively in a season of self inflicted disasters then his playing the entire season as our number one is right up there. You put Forster in goal and we would have had several points more. 

…but idiots like you drove him out of the club and no doubt will do the same for Bazunu

2 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

…but idiots like you drove him out of the club and no doubt will do the same for Bazunu

Forster is an average goalkeeper, Bazunu well below average.

We had last summer the opportunity of upgrading the goalkeeping department, we didn t we got worse after spending 13 million.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Forster is an average goalkeeper, Bazunu well below average.

We had last summer the opportunity of upgrading the goalkeeping department, we didn t we got worse after spending 13 million.

Forster is shite! Stats don’t lie apparently and we put 3 past him. I would much rather have Baz in goal. Forster takes a week to hit the deck and plays with his boots nailed to the goal line.

Saying that, Spurs did take Forster and Gazziniga off our hands.. maybe Baz knows that if he plays shit for us, Spuds might come knocking!?

Edited by Zorba
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Zorba said:

Forster is shite! Stats don’t lie apparently and we put 3 past him. I would much rather have Baz in goal. Forster takes a week to hit the deck and plays with his boots nailed to the goal line.

Saying that, Spurs did take Forster and Gazziniga off our hands.. maybe Baz knows that if he plays shit for us, Spuds might come knocking!?

You're nuts. Bazunu is the worst keeper I've ever seen play for us in any league. Forster has limitations, but him AND McCarthy both have the potential to have absolute worldy games where they stop everything from going in. 

I am 100% certain we'd be outside the relegation zone if either of them had been first choice this season. 

• Like 2

There’s been more than a few saying Bazunu should’ve done better with their third goal. Below is a still from the point the save was made. Bear in mind the scorer, Saka, is just in space just short of the penalty spot. If Bazunu saves to the way he’s going it looks like there’s a tap in for the striker there. Either that or a miraculous defending clearance. Before criticising Bazunu I’d be asking why Saka has got the freedom of the box to smash In the rebound.

44-B32438-FD50-41-B1-BE59-7-C212-EC5-D13

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

There’s been more than a few saying Bazunu should’ve done better with their third goal. Below is a still from the point the save was made. Bear in mind the scorer, Saka, is just in space just short of the penalty spot. If Bazunu saves to the way he’s going it looks like there’s a tap in for the striker there. Either that or a miraculous defending clearance. Before criticising Bazunu I’d be asking why Saka has got the freedom of the box to smash In the rebound.

People like to back up their preconceptions. They've spent all season slating him so anything that goes in naturally becomes his fault.

That is a good save. There's no time for him to be considering where to shovel the ball to because the reaction time is so unbelievably short. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, The Cat said:

Why are people saying stuff like Pickford, Ramsdale or Pope would have done better on certain shots or whatever? 

Every time we miss a shot I presume the same people say "Harry Kane would have done better there"

Turkish would have written a better post than that…..

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Didn’t Bella Kotchap fall over just before Saka hit it? I remember thinking he should have done better 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Didn’t Bella Kotchap fall over just before Saka hit it? I remember thinking he should have done better 

Yeah, was going straight to him and would have been able to clear it if he hadn't.

4 hours ago, eurosaint said:

Bazunu is not by no means perfect but all this crap about him being our worst ever keeper and also the worst in Europe is total nonsense !

none of them can have been at loftus road when Ian Andrews let one go through his legs Massimo Taibi style. What a fucking terrible keeper.

The Michael Poke performance against Arsenal in the cup puts him in the shittest ever category I'd of thought. Harsh, but I don't see anyone else on here pulling punches.

Bazunu is in the Bart, Gazzaniga and Gunn category.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

none of them can have been at loftus road when Ian Andrews let one go through his legs Massimo Taibi style. What a fucking terrible keeper.

The Michael Poke performance against Arsenal in the cup puts him in the shittest ever category I'd of thought. Harsh, but I don't see anyone else on here pulling punches.

Bazunu is in the Bart, Gazzaniga and Gunn category.

That was Harry Lewis, not Michael Poke.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Cat said:

People like to back up their preconceptions. They've spent all season slating him so anything that goes in naturally becomes his fault.

That is a good save. There's no time for him to be considering where to shovel the ball to because the reaction time is so unbelievably short. 

The same people say Forster is better. Forster wouldn’t have even got down to that, would have just stood there and the first shot would have went in… absolute line shuffler wooden keeper 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

The same people say Forster is better. Forster wouldn’t have even got down to that, would have just stood there and the first shot would have went in… absolute line shuffler wooden keeper 

Forster is better. It’s not even close. 

Bazunu is atrocious. Nowhere near PL level and massive reason why we are here. It’s pretty simple. If you have a keeper that can’t make a save, and strikers that can’t score a goal; you are fucked. 

• Like 5

On 22/04/2023 at 15:51, Turkish said:

Was definitely a Wesley Hoedt moment with him slipping on his arse at a critical time.

Mind you, I find it a little unfair criticising a young ABK, when Salisu seems to have gone awol (was it said he wasn’t motivated the other week, and is that still the case, or has he now got an ‘injury’ to contend with ?).

This article sheds some light as to why Bazunu has stayed number one this season I think.  Particularly this point

"The Athletic report that McCarthy’s 2021 deal – due to expire next summer – meant only captain James Ward-Prowse was earning more than the former Reading man.

They add his wages are expected to be reduced next season owing to a clause in his existing deal, as McCarthy has not reached the threshold for games played"

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23475362.mccarthys-southampton-deal-reportedly-made-second-highest-earner/

Whoever thought McCarthy was ever deserving of being the 2nd highest player at the club should be shot...  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Whoever thought McCarthy was ever deserving of being the 2nd highest player at the club should be shot...  

Probably the same people who thought it was a good idea to offer Moussa a new deal, and also put a new deal on the table for Elyounoussi.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I like Moussa and I think he adds variety and effort. Elyonoussi however…

I'm pretty sure we have tons of players in the youth team who can add variety and effort, but hopefully a little bit of quality on top.

I'm sure Moussa is a good lad, but he's been here ages now and he doesn't cut it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Probably the same people who thought it was a good idea to offer Moussa a new deal, and also put a new deal on the table for Elyounoussi.

Is there a deal on the table for Ely? I heard that rumour a while back but came to nothing really.

Djenepo was on the back of a few semi-decent games at LWB in pre-season.

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Is there a deal on the table for Ely? I heard that rumour a while back but came to nothing really.

Djenepo was on the back of a few semi-decent games at LWB in pre-season.

Yes, 100% - but the player wanted to asses at the end of the season.

I just hope he thinks he's too good for the Championship and doesn't take us up on the offer. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

This article sheds some light as to why Bazunu has stayed number one this season I think.  Particularly this point

"The Athletic report that McCarthy’s 2021 deal – due to expire next summer – meant only captain James Ward-Prowse was earning more than the former Reading man.

They add his wages are expected to be reduced next season owing to a clause in his existing deal, as McCarthy has not reached the threshold for games played"

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/23475362.mccarthys-southampton-deal-reportedly-made-second-highest-earner/

So, unless I'm reading that wrong, we're not playing our best* keeper to avoid paying him a bit more yet the potential consequences are we lose even more money due to relegation...?

The words 'nose, 'cut', 'face', 'spite' spring to mind...

*I use the word 'best' in relative terms

Edited by trousers

1 hour ago, trousers said:

So, unless I'm reading that wrong, we're not playing our best* keeper to avoid paying him a bit more yet the potential consequences are we lose even more money due to relegation...?

The words 'nose, 'cut', 'face', 'spite' spring to mind...

*I use the word 'best' in relative terms

Yep, and that `saving' is only made next season. We are paying him in full this season - to effectively do nothing.

If that has been the plan all along - not to play him, so we don't have to pay him in full next season, then you'd think we must have tried to offload him last summer.

You have to wonder if we signed Lis as his replacement (as a back up keeper to Bazunu) last summer. Perhaps a deal was done for McCarthy with someone, but then fell through at the eleventh hour due to his injury? That said, I can't imagine we would have actually signed Lis until a McCarthy sales/loan deal was complete. That would be pretty dumb.  

I wonder how many Prem games he needs to play to ensure he gets `paid in full' next season? Could he play the last five games perhaps? It won't happen, but interesting to know.

Edited by Chez

On 24/04/2023 at 11:33, gammon cheeks said:

The great lawrie mac said " A decent keeper is worth 20 points a season". Make of that what you will 🤔

It's true. Just look at the difference Anti Niemi made when he replaced Paul Jones. Jones was a competent enough keeper, okay but nothing special but Niemi was different level, he was so calm and controlled, did the basics well and the defence had confidence in him. People think being a good keeper is making spectacular saves but most keepers are capable of doing that now and again, it's the ones who command the six yard box, do the basics well, organise the defence and do it week in week out that make the most difference. 

• Like 3

Just now, Turkish said:

It's true. Just look at the difference Anti Niemi made when he replaced Paul Jones. Jones was a competent enough keeper, okay but nothing special but Niemi was different level, he was so calm and controlled, did the basics well and the defence had confidence in him. People think being a good keeper is making spectacular saves but most keepers are capable of doing that now and again, it's the ones who command the six yard box, do the basics well, organise the defence and do it week in week out that make the most difference. 

Boruc v Gazzaniga is another.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Completely agree with this. You chuck about a dozen championship keepers in the EPL and they will make some stunning saves from time to time. David Marshall is a big recent(ish) example of this. Shot stopping isn't what makes a top flight keeper, it's all the rest that goes with it. That's why keepers mature later, and why pretty much all the keepers in the league are in their midlate 20 or older. Plenty of 20 year olds with good sharp reflexes and agility. But it is so much more than that. Even the Championship most of the keepers are older. 

• Like 2

On 24/04/2023 at 11:33, gammon cheeks said:

The great lawrie mac said " A decent keeper is worth 20 points a season". Make of that what you will 🤔

He understood the importance of having an experienced goalkeeper too. He brought in the 33-year-old Peter Shilton, who probably was worth an extra 20 points a season.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is there a record for most goals conceded by a goalkeeper in a prem season?

If so, will this be another record we break 😎

Kelvin Davis had a pretty abysmal record at Sunderland. They voted him into their All-time Worst Sunderland XI. With him in goal, they finished bottom of the Premier League, with a grand total of 15 points and a goal difference of -43. In comparison, that makes even Saints' current season look good.

45 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Kelvin Davis had a pretty abysmal record at Sunderland. They voted him into their All-time Worst Sunderland XI. With him in goal, they finished bottom of the Premier League, with a grand total of 15 points and a goal difference of -43. In comparison, that makes even Saints' current season look good.

tbf, Kelvin was great for us in the promotion seasons but absolutley abysmal once we got back to the prem - even worse than Baz.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

another gamble signing a kid who had never played above league one level in a key position and hope they swim. What do they say the definition of madness is?

Gazzaniga was in goal for Girona on Tuesday when they beat Real Madrid 4-2. 

Like any professional footballer, being thrown in at the top level before you're ready can only lead to hardship and pain.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sydney_saint said:

Completely agree with this. You chuck about a dozen championship keepers in the EPL and they will make some stunning saves from time to time. David Marshall is a big recent(ish) example of this. Shot stopping isn't what makes a top flight keeper, it's all the rest that goes with it. That's why keepers mature later, and why pretty much all the keepers in the league are in their midlate 20 or older. Plenty of 20 year olds with good sharp reflexes and agility. But it is so much more than that. Even the Championship most of the keepers are older. 

Very true.  In Bazunu’s case though, I’ve yet to see sharp reflexes and agility.  For a young keeper, his shot stopping ability is horrendous.

• Like 6

37 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Quick look on twitter and spurs fans are all saying the same thing, Forster making some really good saves and playing much better than Lloris. 

We stuck with Bazunu too long this season.

Agreed, Leicester made the same mistake with Danny Ward. Can't underestimate the importance of having a proper keeper, I honestly wouldn't want Bazunu to start for us in the championship.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SaintsBarry74 said:

Agreed, Leicester made the same mistake with Danny Ward. Can't underestimate the importance of having a proper keeper, I honestly wouldn't want Bazunu to start for us in the championship.

Bazunu should've spent this season on loan in League One. Next season would be a toss up between League One/Championship. Fair chance he'll actually fair okay for us in Championship and probably, considering we've completely thrown him under the bus this year, deserves that chance. 

Many pros have said about the gulf in class between Championship and Prem. The balls come at you that much faster. Everything happens that much quicker. etc etc etc. He will be a good keeper, he is just being expected far too much, far far far too soon.

If we went straight back up, he'd still be too young for Prem by a year or so. That's how much we've thrown him under the bus here.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Bazunu should've spent this season on loan in League One. Next season would be a toss up between League One/Championship. Fair chance he'll actually fair okay for us in Championship and probably, considering we've completely thrown him under the bus this year, deserves that chance. 

Many pros have said about the gulf in class between Championship and Prem. The balls come at you that much faster. Everything happens that much quicker. etc etc etc. He will be a good keeper, he is just being expected far too much, far far far too soon.

If we went straight back up, he'd still be too young for Prem by a year or so. That's how much we've thrown him under the bus here.

Not sure what you see to suggest he will be a good keeper. Doesn’t seem to have great reflexes, agility or positional sense. He’s doesn’t make many absolute howlers  ( he doesn’t make many notable saves either) but I don’t see loads of potential. Maybe he needs a few years but I wouldnt want him playing next season