Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

When the goal went in I was just like “WTF” it didn’t look like the type of header that should beat a keeper, but it didn’t look like one Baz could have saved. My gut feeling was the “fucking keeper should have got it”, but I didn’t know if that was my bias against him. Thanks to the above posts it’s now clear why I thought that. So thanks for posting. 

He does seem to concede a lot of goals where I feel he could have done more to stop them. There are the obvious fuck ups, but there’s too many like Sundays where you feel it wasn’t a particularly great effort, but it still beat him easily. I’d be interested in how many others are positioning or footwork errors, stuff that ultimately can be coached out of him and which ones are just the lack of ability. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Baz has struggled this season. But also, that goal is yet again another example of us giving up 'free' chances in the box.

A free header/chance inside the penalty area has happend on numerous occasions this season. It's alarming when you look at the goals we concede, and the lack of pressure on the ball/player during that final action. 

15 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

Hate to say it again... But he has shot himself square in the foot with his positioning, again. A full dive got him to the centre of his goal. He is a good yard further forward than he should be, too. He thought more than once about coming for it, which was never on the cards, and just had no idea where he was when he finally made his mind up not to.

bazz.thumb.png.2ca2e8214791e412571b32baa3287dcf.png

bazz1.thumb.png.08aefdb6b156b1618b0c2ddc2aee60e8.png

How more hasn't been said about DCC's antics in giving away the foul in the first place, which is inexplicable, has surprised me. But... You just can't get away with the above, at any level. It's worrying.

Not sure if the angle but he looks small in comparison to size of the goal. Like in kids football where they can't touch the cross bar

The problem with being a GK is that you have to clear up everybody else's mistakes. If a CB misses a header, as per DCC against West Ham not even competing, there is the last line of defence. The GK has no such luxury, and laying so much criticism on such a young inexperienced player is a bit unfair. He is doing his best, he just isn't up to the PL yet. Playing behind our defence, he is probably shell-shocked.

Blame the people who bought him as a first team starter, blame the 3 managers who have consistently picked him over McCarthy, and especially blame the coaches who are failing to identify and correct his weaknesses.

4 hours ago, JRM said:

Not sure if the angle but he looks small in comparison to size of the goal. Like in kids football where they can't touch the cross bar

In goalkeeper terms he is pretty small, and I've always thought he looks like a scared kid in between the posts. To be fair that's what he is really, inexperience is killing him on top of some key technical/physical limitations. Not a great recipe for a top flight keeper it has to be said.

4 hours ago, saintquin said:

Think our keeper coaches could turn David De Gea into an average league one keeper!

Whatever anyone might think of his positioning and performances you can bet your boots that this is the way that he has been coached. He’s not some kid that your mate has brought along to play between the posts.

7 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Whatever anyone might think of his positioning and performances you can bet your boots that this is the way that he has been coached. He’s not some kid that your mate has brought along to play between the posts.

Can categorically confirm, he would not have been coached this positioning. That would be akin to a driving instructor teaching you to drive on the wrong side of the road... The outcome is inevitable.

The trouble is we score so few goals that every one we conceed gets analysed to death  putting even more pressure on the keeper. I know it's his job to bale out the rest of the team's mistakes but the first priority should be to stop making those mistakes, and on the plus side he did make an incredible save to stop an own goal.

• Like 2

Didn't see the game but just watched the highlights, another header in his 6 yard box conceded - absolute pet hate this, at bare minimum keepers should be collecting crosses that end up inside their 6 yard box- and keeps pushing the ball back into the danger area after making saves. 

We are just so weak in the air (both ends) so a keeper who can’t clear out doesn’t help. Haaland really should have had a hattrick - just rusty at the back post against JWP, I don’t see Bazuna saving that if it’s on target.

I dont blame Bazuna for any of those goals, it’s just that he looks so small to me, he doesn’t seem to have the ability to make himself big (might be a confidence thing) and put strikers off. I’d really worry about him and our cbs in the championship with the amount of big players and diagonal Ariel balls.

Usually with a young keeper you accept a few mistakes as the price of someone who has potential. Bazunu has shown absolutely nothing - a League One keeper at best - wouldn’t even want him starting for us next season in the Championship. He’s shown less ability than Gunn did during his time with us and it was universally considered the right decision to move on from him. Massive arrogant gamble from Rasmus and Co that has backfired spectacularly. Get rid.

• Like 3

Just now, James said:

Usually with a young keeper you accept a few mistakes as the price of someone who has potential. Bazunu has shown absolutely nothing - a League One keeper at best - wouldn’t even want him starting for us next season in the Championship. He’s shown less ability than Gunn did during his time with us and it was universally considered the right decision to move on from him. Massive arrogant gamble from Rasmus and Co that has backfired spectacularly. Get rid.

Yep. Unless Foster reverses his retirement then Wrexham might be a good place to send Bazanu next season. Not good enough for L1 at the moment, we had Kelvin at that level and several other keepers were miles better than Bazanu is now. Two season loan and he might regain a bit of confidence to at least resume an EFL career or higher end non league. 

He doesn't seem capable of making saves tbh. Johnstone saved an effort from us in the 2nd half, whereas their attempts on target went straight in.

He had potential when we got him I think, but it's hard to see him ever recover now. I think we've ruined him as a top level keeper by chucking him in like we did. In fact we've probably done the same with a few of those young kids we signed.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He doesn't seem capable of making saves tbh. Johnstone saved an effort from us in the 2nd half, whereas their attempts on target went straight in.

He had potential wh en we got him I think, but it's hard to see him ever recover now. I think we've ruined him as a top level keeper by chucking him in like we did. In fact we've probably done the same with a few of those young kids we signed.

Yes, Man City trusted us with some Academy youngsters becos we have had a good record producing young talent and Ralph had a good reputation as a coach. After this shambles we won't get top clubs trusting us with young talent again. We've messed them up, as well as ourselves

15 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He had potential when we got him I think, but it's hard to see him ever recover now. I think we've ruined him as a top level keeper by chucking him in like we did. In fact we've probably done the same with a few of those young kids we signed.

Larios has to be one of the most pointless signings we’ve ever made. he might as well have stayed at city and played kids football. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Larios has to be one of the most pointless signings we’ve ever made. he might as well have stayed at city and played kids football. 

With all these City kids and the Shields connection, it does make me wonder if there are some other bits of $$$ in the mix here which benefits others. Doesn't make any sense as they've not added to us from a footballing point of view.

Edozie, Larios, Bazunu are still U21 payers yet we felt it was sensible to make them PL first team players. At least we got experience like Aribo in the summer to make all the difference though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

With all these City kids and the Shields connection, it does make me wonder if there are some other bits of $$$ in the mix here which benefits others. Doesn't make any sense as they've not added to us from a footballing point of view.

Edozie, Larios, Bazunu are still U21 payers yet we felt it was sensible to make them PL first team players. At least we got experience like Aribo in the summer to make all the difference though.

Something definitely odd about it. One or two max you can understand but what was it 4? And Larios in a position where we already have 3 18 year old left backs is very odd. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s fucking pony. First goal was a killer today. No doubt whitey and others that defending him will try and point the finger in another direction, but it was down to him. We need to get rid, he’ll be pony in the championship as well. 

In terms of players we have made three catastrophic decisions. 

1. Playing a keeper that is woefully out of his depth. In front of a young defence as well. A single good game all season, and many many mistakes. To play him every single game is insanity without at least trying one of our more experienced pros.

2. Playing elyounoussi as an attacker just about all season. An assist all season. Amazing record

3. No signing a striker in the summer, and then overspending on a mediocre one in January when prices are always more expensive

If we had a competent older keeper, a striker that could score 10 goals a season, and a 10/winger who could create a bit more than Moi, and I believe we would have stayed up. The rest of the team isn't too bad. But we just had to do things differently and fancy. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s fucking pony. First goal was a killer today. No doubt whitey and others that defending him will try and point the finger in another direction, but it was down to him. We need to get rid, he’ll be pony in the championship as well. 

AMN was the main culprit for that first goal.

1 minute ago, SambaMaverick said:

What did you make of Bazunu's efforts for the goal?

I’ll watch it again before commenting in detail but anytime an opposition player skips around your full back and gets to the goal line inside your penalty are you’re going to be in trouble. I said to my grandson at the time, “far post”, and lo and behold there it was. 

I couldn’t fault AMN’s commitment after that but he’s never going to be a full back. We’ve got two competent right backs in KWP and Bree and Perraud is not the worst of  left backs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I’ll watch it again before commenting in detail but anytime an opposition player skips around your full back and gets to the goal line inside your penalty are you’re going to be in trouble. I said to my grandson at the time, “far post”, and lo and behold there it was. 

It wasn’t “far post”, it went straight to the goal keeper who parried it into the danger area. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It wasn’t “far post”, it went straight to the goal keeper who parried it into the danger area. 

No, you have jumped to a wrong conclusion. Again.

I was referring to the ball out to Ayew who was unmarked on their left wing. It was he who skipped past AMN.

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

No, you have jumped to a wrong conclusion. Again.

I was referring to the ball out to Ayew who was unmarked on their left wing. It was he who skipped past AMN.

To be fair, it was Bazunu who jumped to the wrong conclusion. 

I feel for him, he's a young guy trying to break through and he's been promoted way beyond his level. 

He's not good enough, it's blatantly obvious to everyone apart from the one guy that picks the team. This season will probably ruin what could have been a decent enough career, he should be down in League One learning the ropes, instead of being watched making mistakes all around the globe.

• Like 1

The real question is why Bazunu keeps starting games despite his clear lack of confidence, ability and leadership.

Is this a management decision or is it coming from higher? There’s no way you could say that McCarthy or Caballero would be worse options in our current situation. Another strange decision in a season of strange decisions.

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 12

1 minute ago, bpsaint said:

The real question is why Bazunu keeps starting games despite his clear lack of confidence, ability and leadership.

Is this a management decision or is it coming from higher? There’s no way you could say that McCarthy or Caballero would be worse options in our current situation. Another strange decision in a season of strange decisions.

Lack of someone better. He was only ever one for the future but the failure to sign an experienced goalkeeper has left him as our only realistic choice. McCarthy has be injured a lot of the season.

Needs dropping - the boy is a rabbit in the head lights, says much for the opinion behind closed doors of the other options.

His lack of vision is pretty poor. First half he got the ball in his hands  if he bothered to look up through the gaping hole in the players and not scan the 10 feet in front of him  for scary worms in the grass, he would have seen Charley screaming for  long punt up to him………….It’s not just today. I do wonder if he needs an eye test!

• Like 1

It's mad that the lad hasn't at least been rotated out and rested a bit, considering how he's so obviously struggled. I have no idea if there's a Premier League keeper somewhere inside him or not, but keeping him in the firing line the whole season behind our shoddy defense as his form continued to deteriorate may well have ruined the bloke. He should have spent another season learning and improving at a lower league club.

• Like 1

I reckon there’s half a dozen games this season he has cost us points in by letting in weird goals. 

He’s far from the only one who has cost us but we’ve massively handicapped ourselves yet again in the goalkeeping department. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

He'll be great for us in the Championship. A bit like how Super Kelvin Davis kept us in matches in the lower leagues, and then was obviously out of his depth in the top flight.

he does remind me of kelvin davis… premier league davis that is. shambles. 

12 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

£10m on a dogshit skate cunt who was playing for a midtable league one side last year. 

£12m rising to £15m with add-ons. along with the around 10 million or whatever it was for edozie and larios, could’ve been 25 million for Delap who has been shit in the championship. all this man city business seems a bit fishy. 

excusing lavia as he’s been good ofc 

2 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

£12m rising to £15m with add-ons. along with the around 10 million or whatever it was for edozie and larios, could’ve been 25 million for Delap who has been shit in the championship. all this man city business seems a bit fishy. 

excusing lavia as he’s been good ofc 

God, forgot about that. We really tried for it, didn't we

26 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

he does remind me of kelvin davis… premier league davis that is. shambles. 

Kelvin wasn't perfect but at least he regularly made brilliant saves - Bazunu doesn't and, to make it worse, he has two Cadbury flakes for wrists.