Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

8 hours ago, Saint NL said:

a new contender has appeared.

Yes, he's the second youngest after Bazunu. He's only just turned 23. Top flight goalkeepers are usually in their late 20s and early 30s because that's when they reach their peak. People who run successful Premier League clubs are aware of facts like this.

• Like 3

He doesn’t make many absolute howlers and maybe that’s why he is still picked. It’s more conceding goals like the first against palace, the one against WHU and the one against Leeds where you’d expect a decent keeper to do a lot better. Seems really odd we have persisted all season and had we had an alternative we would be at least a few points better off and still in the mix. I hope we don’t persist next season with this as it been a major reason for our demise and the goals aren’t any smaller in the championship 

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

He didn't get that shot away at all, pushed it straight back into the danger zone. No surprise he'd fluff it during the moments we needed a capable GK.

Same dynamic as the first goal against palace. He is a very big reason we are going down and yet he still plays each game.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Same dynamic as the first goal against palace. He is a very big reason we are going down and yet he still plays each game.

The single biggest individual reason we are going down.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He didn't get that shot away at all, pushed it straight back into the danger zone. No surprise he'd fluff it during the moments we needed a capable GK.

he did it quite a lot of times this game, it’s just our defenders or arsenals own players blocked the shot to save him

He doesn’t cope well with high balls, he doesn’t save 

1 minute ago, Saint_clark said:

I agree. I know people will say it's the lack of goalscorer but even without one of those, a half decent keeper will earn us another 10 points than we have right now.

I don’t know about 10 but certainty 5. He doesn’t cope well with crosses and doesn’t save shots but he doesn’t make many absolute howlers so perhaps that’s why he plays but he is the worst first choice I can recall in 40 years of supporting Saints. It’s difficult to know what his level is really as he doesn’t really exhibit any particular goalkeeping attributes. He’s just a bloke in goal 

• Sad 1

I don’t think he was massively to blame this evening, but he’s a very very poor keeper and should not be in the side for the last 6 games. Too inexperienced, too prone to errors. Everything you don’t need in a relegation scrap. 

Edited by Dman
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don’t think he was massively to blame this evening, but he’s a very very poor keeper and should not be in the side for the last 6 games. Too inexperienced, too prone to errors. Everything you don’t need in a relegation scrap. 

That’s fair comment, but he did nothing wrong tonight. 

13 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

AM wouldn’t have saved any of those 3. 

I think Baz is pony, but fuck me, he did nothing wrong tonight. 

6 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s fair comment, but he did nothing wrong tonight. 

Well said Lord Ducky. We often have our disagreements but tonight we agree.

33 minutes ago, Dman said:

I don’t think he was massively to blame this evening, but he’s a very very poor keeper and should not be in the side for the last 32 games. Too inexperienced, too prone to errors. Everything you don’t need in a relegation scrap. 

Fixed it for you.

Fact is, he's proven at a league one level. He is nowhere near good enough for where we wanted to be or where we are heading. He's cost us numerous points this season and some clueless cunt decided he was worth £10m. 

36 minutes ago, Dman said:

Remember this is the club strategy league postion doesn’t matter it’s about giving young players a pathway 

3 minutes ago, Wiggles31 said:

I offer you Diallo. 

When he joined it looked like there was a player in there, had something for sure. He hardly played for over two seasons now getting bit here and there. He’s been terrible for a while now and needs to be sold for everyone’s own good, I just don’t think he’s played enough to ever make an impact. 

• Like 3

I don’t mind Baz. I think he does alright. He makes less mistakes than Forster and McCarthy before him and at least he comes off his line unlike his predecessors. Sure we’d all love another Shilts or Niemi but why would a decent keeper come to us in our current state? Our whole team has been in decline for years. Think he gets far more stick than he deserves.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Zorba said:

I don’t mind Baz. I think he does alright. He makes less mistakes than Forster and McCarthy before him and at least he comes off his line unlike his predecessors. Sure we’d all love another Shilts or Niemi but why would a decent keeper come to us in our current state? Our whole team has been in decline for years. Think he gets far more stick than he deserves.

The stats don't give him much movement for praise to be honest, statistically currently the worst keeper in any of Europe's top leagues - and not just by a small margin either, quite comfortably bad.

He may have had some talent when he came here but I think we've finished him off.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Just now, S-Clarke said:

The stats don't give him much to hide from tbh, worst keeper in any of Europe's top leagues - and not just by a small margin either, quite comfortably bad.

He may have had some talent when he came here but I think we've finished him off.

To be fair, when your team plays most of the game in their own half, lose the ball when trying to play out and are generally inferior to their opposition, it’s not going to make your stats look good is it? I know he’s not great but I don’t think he’s solely to blame for our predicament.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Genuinely shouldn't be anywhere near our starting lineup next year in the Championship. Woeful. 

The fact that he’s not lost his place to McCarthy when he became available makes me think he probably will be unfortunately. 

The time to be blaming the keeper is when you look generally solid and his howlers are the difference between a clean sheet and losing by a couple. When defenders like Fonte, Lovren and Toby are keeping the danger 25 yards away but low shots at the near post keep sneaking in, then I’d start looking at the keeper (no names mentioned).

I don’t really see that with Baz. He could be doing better with some of the shots but TBH he faces so many from inside the area, a couple are inevitably going to get the better of him. The Leeds goal is a perfect example, many people pointing out that he could have done better but how many defenders f**ked up for their LB to be having a free shot, 8 yards out with Bednarek ducking out of its way at the last second?

I think everyone needs to compare this young keeper to the one at the other end of the pitch last night, who was playing for a top of the table side. Personally, I think we had the better keeper. All goals are down to a goalkeeper failing to keep the ball from crossing the line, but defending when you're without the ball is every players responsibility.

I think he'll be a long term asset to the team.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

I think everyone needs to compare this young keeper to the one at the other end of the pitch last night, who was playing for a top of the table side. Personally, I think we had the better keeper. All goals are down to a goalkeeper failing to keep the ball from crossing the line, but defending when you're without the ball is every players responsibility.

I think he'll be a long term asset to the team.

I don’t see how you can say that and god forbid he’s still our number one next season. He’s the worst keeper in Europe by some distance when it’s comes to shot stopping. It’s not even close. I agree he doesn’t make many absolute howlers but he doesn’t make great saves. He doesn’t deal with crosses well, he flaps and is often found out of position meaning he concedes soft goals. He’s a nothing keeper just a bloke in goal. Objectively in a season of self inflicted disasters then his playing the entire season as our number one is right up there. You put Forster in goal and we would have had several points more. 

I really don’t want to criticise young Baz but he has had a poor season. I get he needed to play to get experience but I’m shocked he has remained number one all season. Totally understand the comment about him getting little protection from poor defenders in front but he has made far too many errors imo.

12 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

I don’t see how you can say that and god forbid he’s still our number one next season. He’s the worst keeper in Europe by some distance when it’s comes to shot stopping. It’s not even close. I agree he doesn’t make many absolute howlers but he doesn’t make great saves. He doesn’t deal with crosses well, he flaps and is often found out of position meaning he concedes soft goals. He’s a nothing keeper just a bloke in goal. Objectively in a season of self inflicted disasters then his playing the entire season as our number one is right up there. You put Forster in goal and we would have had several points more. 

Do you watch much football these days ??

🤨

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Galway saint said:

Yes quite a bit. He’s statistically the worst keeper in Europe at shot stopping.  The stats were published on here some weeks ago.  See below 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.7107e88a5e84085d7efd2813f4d10d6e.jpeg

Absolute horseshit!  And your pointless xG bollocks chart proves nothing.  It even says 'Big 5 European leagues', so claiming he's the 'worst in Europe' is disingenous at best.

Unless you're telling me that Scotland is no longer in Europe and / or Scottish 'keepers are better than him?

Statistics can be made to say anything you want I guess.  He's faced more shots than all other teams than 6 on that chart (from what is available), suggesting that the team in front of him is absolutely dire at giving any sort of protection.  

And what the fuck is 'post shot xG' made up useless bollocks meant to mean?

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Absolute horseshit!  And your pointless xG bollocks chart proves nothing.  It even says 'Big 5 European leagues', so claiming he's the 'worst in Europe' is disingenous at best.

Unless you're telling me that Scotland is no longer in Europe and / or Scottish 'keepers are better than him?

Statistics can be made to say anything you want I guess.  He's faced more shots than all other teams than 6 on that chart (from what is available), suggesting that the team in front of him is absolutely dire at giving any sort of protection.  

And what the fuck is 'post shot xG' made up useless bollocks meant to mean?

I accept there might be a keeper somewhere in Europe worse than him at shot stopping (but for the moment at least we play in the Premier League and are comparing him to other keepers in the top European leagues  not the Scottish third division or the Albanian conference). That wasn’t really my point. The stats support the  general proposition that he doesn’t make enough saves relative to shots faced. He might face more shots than others but if he’s a good keeper that gives him more opportunities to make saves. The stats support what we see week on week. He’s a major reason we are going down and will be a major reason we don’t come back up if we persist next season.

• Like 2

Just now, Galway saint said:

I accept there might be a keeper somewhere in Europe worse than him at shot stopping (but for the moment at least we play in the Premier League and are comparing him to other keepers in the top European leagues  not the Scottish third division or the Albanian conference). That wasn’t really my point. The stats support the  general proposition that he doesn’t make enough saves relative to shots faced. He might face more shots than others but if he’s a good keeper that gives him more opportunities to make saves. The stats support what we see week on week. He’s a major reason we are going down and will be a major reason we don’t come back up if we persist next season.

Horseshit!

Your point was he is 'the worst in Europe' - take a look at your post, that's your claim!

The 'stats' aren't stats either, just made up bollocks xG created by spotty teenagers for spotty teenagers using subjective 'guesswork'.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Oknhebrh

2 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Horseshit!

Your point was he is 'the worst in Europe' - take a look at your post, that's your claim!

The 'stats' aren't stats either, just made up bollocks xG created by spotty teenagers for spotty teenagers using subjective 'guesswork'.

Ok I stand corrected; he’s only statistically the worst keeper in the European top leagues and there might be others outside the European top leagues statistically worse. 

Just now, Galway saint said:

Ok I stand corrected; he’s only statistically the worst keeper in the European top leagues and there might be others outside the European top leagues statistically worse. 

When you write it like that, not exactly an exclusive revelation is it?

Our form has reached 90th out of 92 teams in English football recently.  I imagine that we have been rooted to the bottom of the form table from the top 5 leagues in Europe for pretty much the whole season.

Probably doesn't take a genius to figure out the the 'keeper in the worst team in Europe is going to have the worst stats.

I imagine once you post the same stats for our entire defence we will be steadfastly propping up that table as well - you are getting round to that aren't you, you know for balance and perspective?

8 minutes ago, Weston Super Saint said:

When you write it like that, not exactly an exclusive revelation is it?

Our form has reached 90th out of 92 teams in English football recently.  I imagine that we have been rooted to the bottom of the form table from the top 5 leagues in Europe for pretty much the whole season.

Probably doesn't take a genius to figure out the the 'keeper in the worst team in Europe is going to have the worst stats.

I imagine once you post the same stats for our entire defence we will be steadfastly propping up that table as well - you are getting round to that aren't you, you know for balance and perspective?

I don’t think you understand the statistics. They are not saying he’s the worst because he concedes the most goals he’s the worst in terms of shots saved relative to goals conceded. Take a look at Leno at Fulham. He’s faced far more shots but he’s the top of the chart.

Ultimately he’s a poor keeper in a poor team but if we are looking at how we can improve then replacing bazanu seems an obvious starting point.

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

Yes quite a bit. He’s statistically the worst keeper in Europe at shot stopping.  The stats were published on here some weeks ago.  See below 😉

image.thumb.jpeg.7107e88a5e84085d7efd2813f4d10d6e.jpeg

Statistically Nathan Jones was the best manager in Europe 

• Haha 1

Don’t think he was to blame yesterday but he’s not Prem standard and I don’t think he ever will be. Think he’ll be a decent Championship gk but I don’t think he’s even that yet so should be our number 2 next year and we need to buy better (and experienced) 

He has been very up and down all season, which I would expect from any young footballer in his debut season in one of the best leagues in world football, we have seen it with players that have come through our system, be it Tella, Reed, Targett, Smallbone, even golden boy took many seasons to start producing anywhere near consistent levels of acceptable performances. Unfortunately it seems at the moment Bazunu can’t win, even when he makes good reaction saves such as the 3rd goal last night, many think somehow he should have not only saved a shot we’ll hit at short distance, low to the ground being slightly unsighted and coming through a defenders legs, but he should have also managed to maneover the ball away through a packed penalty box…

Yeah let’s focus on that and not things like the piss poor half hearted attempt by Perraud closing down Odegaard for the second goal or the piss poor defending and ease that Perraud let saka get to the by line for the first goal 

• Like 1