Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

I think he'll come good eventually, but this season shows that you cannot chuck young keepers into the PL unless they have a very good defence in front of them.  We had the same issue with Gunn, who for me looked far worse than Bazunu.  He dropped down to the Championship, and has now recovered enough to be an international GK with Scotland.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Galway saint said:

Not sure what you see to suggest he will be a good keeper. Doesn’t seem to have great reflexes, agility or positional sense. He’s doesn’t make many absolute howlers  ( he doesn’t make many notable saves either) but I don’t see loads of potential. Maybe he needs a few years but I wouldnt want him playing next season 

Like I said earlier in the thread, you compare what the top keepers of the Prem of the last few years were doing, it puts it into perspective. The only real anomoly is David De Gea, which... Well, they don't come around every day and even he had a horrorshow of a first season or two.

I'm not saying he will be top of the pile, but lads his age are usually plying their trade in League One or League Two.

Kasper Schmeichel was playing League Two with Bury at this age.

Aaron Ramsdale was at Chesterfield, in League Two.

Emilio Martinez was at Oxford, in League Two.

Nick Pope could barely catch a game for Welling United in the Conference South.

We've made an almighty big ask of Bazunu. Long before we should even consider him ready. In time, he'll be a very good keeper. But we're years off of that.

Edited by saintscottofthenortham
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Galway saint said:

Not sure what you see to suggest he will be a good keeper. Doesn’t seem to have great reflexes, agility or positional sense. He’s doesn’t make many absolute howlers  ( he doesn’t make many notable saves either) but I don’t see loads of potential. Maybe he needs a few years but I wouldnt want him playing next season 

Agreed. Young keepers make mistakes, it’s a given. Off the top of my head, Savey Davey de Gea and Charlie Hart came through when they were very young, and their early career was showcased a number of high profile mistakes. Amongst that though they also showed an unmistakeable potential. I don’t get that with Bazunu; his distribution is decent but he just doesn’t make enough saves to have me think ‘this lad has really got something about him”. Maybe he’ll improve, he’s only 21, or maybe like Kelvin he’ll demonstrate that he’s very good in a lower division. Or maybe neither.  Lots to prove but I don’t see a keeper who just needs to learn a bit, there’s a bit more needed. Maybe a season in the Championship will do him good.

19 minutes ago, TS22 said:

Anyone that thinks the defence hasn't been too bad hasn't been watching our games.

McCarthy is well on his way to catching up with Bazunus stats after only 3 games.

The statistics referred to is based on defensive actions, so as a unit how much defending we have to do, effectively. It's not about how good our defending is, but how often we are doing it, which isn't as often as many other teams above us. As such, that makes Baz's (and latterly McCarthy) record all the more damning.

In short, the feeling we have that pretty much every shot against us goes in, is in fact the case.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

The statistics referred to is based on defensive actions, so as a unit how much defending we have to do, effectively. It's not about how good our defending is, but how often we are doing it, which isn't as often as many other teams above us. As such, that makes Baz's (and latterly McCarthy) record all the more damning.

In short, the feeling we have that pretty much every shot against us goes in, is in fact the case.

Spot on. We need a proper goalkeeper for next season - an experienced one who can actually save shots - and we need to get rid of McCarthy for good. No other club will take him so it would be better to terminate his contract rather than having the ever present danger of him costing us more points.

40 minutes ago, Nordic Saint said:

Spot on. We need a proper goalkeeper for next season - an experienced one who can actually save shots - and we need to get rid of McCarthy for good. No other club will take him so it would be better to terminate his contract rather than having the ever present danger of him costing us more points.

If you think we’ll get a number 2 next season that’s an upgrade on AM you’re deluded. The issue is the number 1 we got in was fucking pony so the reserve had to play. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

13 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

it's always black or white with you. I give up on you.

He’s a poor keeper at this level. They both are. We need to look at how to improve a poor team and a decent keeper has to be a priority. 

• Like 1

Baz is young and will improve. It was criminal leaving him in the side so long. His confidence was shot and the defence didnt help.

I may be very old fashioned but how about a goalkeeper keeping the ball out of the net and defenders clearing the ball.

It just seems odd that, Man City decided to play across the back and then it seems all clubs want to do it. Our players in the main are not comfortable on the ball and so why put them under extra pressure. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Baz is young and will improve. It was criminal leaving him in the side so long. His confidence was shot and the defence didnt help.

I may be very old fashioned but how about a goalkeeper keeping the ball out of the net and defenders clearing the ball.

It just seems odd that, Man City decided to play across the back and then it seems all clubs want to do it. Our players in the main are not comfortable on the ball and so why put them under extra pressure. 

Young and hungry too right? We often see this said but quite regularly, especially with goalkeepers that doesn't happen. He might go onto be the new Shay Given. But there it's more likely he wont.

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Young and hungry too right? We often see this said but quite regularly, especially with goalkeepers that doesn't happen. He might go onto be the new Shay Given. But there it's more likely he wont.

Very rare for young keepers to recover from being exposed in the Prem and having difficult seasons, they tend to be permanently broken. In fact I can't think of any.....

Going into the season with Bazunu as No.1 and an multiply-dropped and injury-prone McCarthy as No.2 was utterly incompetent.

31 minutes ago, OldNick said:

why will he?

• Confused 2

51 minutes ago, benali-shorts said:

Very rare for young keepers to recover from being exposed in the Prem and having difficult seasons, they tend to be permanently broken. In fact I can't think of any.....

Going into the season with Bazunu as No.1 and an multiply-dropped and injury-prone McCarthy as No.2 was utterly incompetent.

We could try our luck with Gunn round 2, we've already broken him why not a second time around

I think he needs at least another 5 years playing at a lower level before he MIGHT be ready for the Premier League. It's a different skillset to being an outfield player (a young goalkeeper can't get away with lacking mental attributes like a young outfield player sometimes can). Leeds have been having the same problem with Meslier.

I strongly believe it's the most important position in the team. The last line of defence shouldn't have been filled with someone with one year of experience in League 1. Being exposed at such a high level in such a high profile league can sometimes do more harm than good.

Personally, I think we should loan him out next season and sign a goalkeeper that has those 5+ years playing in second divisions and maybe even first divisions if we're lucky.

Kelvin Davis was a vital part of our promotion seasons. That experience was key for us and it helps if your goalkeeper is a good leader as well.

While McCarthy may fit a lot of my criteria, we know he can't hack it in the Premier League and I'd much prefer it if we could get him off the wage bill given his eye watering salary. If we're stuck with him, he wouldn't be a disastrous option in the Championship but a new first choice would definitely be my preference.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Genuine question. Are they poor keepers in the Championship?

Fair question. In my view he’s not shown enough to warrant bearing with hiM in the championship in the hope he improves. He doesn’t have great agility, reflexes or positional sense. If he did but made a few howlers then you would persevere but I don’t feel he has shown enough;others may disagree. I wouldn’t want him to be our number 1 next season.

I'd say Baz looked better than Kelvin ever did at this level and the latter was Championship keeper of the year when we got promoted. All the Pompey fans said Baz was absolute mustard in L1, so I'd be confident in him being able to DAJFU somewhere in the middle.

• Like 5

On 09/05/2023 at 17:28, Galway saint said:

Fair question. In my view he’s not shown enough to warrant bearing with hiM in the championship in the hope he improves. He doesn’t have great agility, reflexes or positional sense. If he did but made a few howlers then you would persevere but I don’t feel he has shown enough;others may disagree. I wouldn’t want him to be our number 1 next season.

Baz's positional play is poor. Perhaps his worse aspect. He often gets his starting point and angles wrong and he isn't where the ball is nearly enough. I think he is pretty agile and has decent reflexes. He's made some good saves, but he's also allowed stuff to go through him. He somehow makes himself smaller not bigger. He looks like a kid playing a man's game at times. He lacks the presence of a top keeper (even a young one) and doesn't give off an air of confidence, yet. That said, he's brave and he does come for things, which should be applauded. I'd say his sweeping is his strong point. His decision making about when to come out has been very good.

I really don't know if he will look a decent championship keeper next year at the lower level. If his positional sense can improve, I think the answer is yes, but is that likely to happen over the summer?

I think McCarthy will depart, so I guess there is not much point discussing whether he will look the part at that level. 

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Statistically the worst keeper in the league, and he might win save of the season, amazing

Bit like when Boufal won goal of the season, great effort but he did little else of note during the rest of the season. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

Statistically the worst keeper in the league, and he might win save of the season, amazing

I saw some of the stats that McCarthy was worse this season, but didn't play enough to make a lot of the overall stats tables.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fabrice Fernandes no.1 fan said:

I have always maintained that a keeper is only as  good as the defence in front of him.    Looking back.....to when ..

Peter Shilton was with Saints ..for 6 seasons ?...we had some diabolical defeats whilst he was still regular no.1  for England,

Pickford was keeper for Sunderland (? ) in the season they were relegated ..yet after moving to Everton he became  England's no.1

Bazunu wasn't solely responsible for all the goals we conceded, but using 8 different CB partnerships didn't help either, and then  

we had 13 defeats by a one goal margin - which suggests that a few more goals from the strikers might have made a real difference.

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

I have always maintained that a keeper is only as  good as the defence in front of him.    Looking back.....to when ..

Peter Shilton was with Saints ..for 6 seasons ?...we had some diabolical defeats whilst he was still regular no.1  for England,

Pickford was keeper for Sunderland (? ) in the season they were relegated ..yet after moving to Everton he became  England's no.1

Bazunu wasn't solely responsible for all the goals we conceded, but using 8 different CB partnerships didn't help either, and then  

we had 13 defeats by a one goal margin - which suggests that a few more goals from the strikers might have made a real difference.

This thread has been over this numerous times, David. In fact, our defence was statistically quite sound compared to our league position. For chances given, we were in the realm of Spurs and Villa, suggesting we weren't allowing teams chance after chance too often. Yet, still... Bazunu was statistically the single worst keeper of any European top flight, by a long, long, long margin.

A keeper can only be as good as his defence, but the keeper still needs basic ability to stop the chances that do come their way. This is where Baz fell down and why it felt like every shot on goal we faced, wound up in the net.

Do not get me wrong, Baz will make it into a top flight keeper (quite possibly a very good one), but he was thrown in years ahead of when he should've been. That's on us, not him.

saints in the top 6 for least shots conceded on target so pretty much most shots on target were goals,hes to young,to small,doesnt command his box and doesnt give confidence to his defence physicaly or mentaly,good goalkeepers run there area.Dont start me on mcarthy doesnt talk,doesnt save anything on his near post or close to him,pretty much every championship keeper i saw last season would be an upgrade on our keepers