Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

Let's hope he's better than the last one! I'm expecting a Ramsdale/Leno type situation where Bazunu displaces McCarthy pretty quick because he's you know... shit.

Spoke to one of my mates earlier who supports the other lot and he was very complimentary, until I mentioned we were linked obviously.

Welcome Bazunu.

5f7e2b18c655f6001969ecdf.jpeg.jpg.94b66786492fd0ade9771cc5a4bee589.jpg

Wait, thats Pazuzu. 

Anyway I know nothing of this keeper apart from the fact he's an international and played for the skates... but this sounds a lot like Gunn mk. 2. Hopefully (as we're almost definitely having Alex Mac as number 1) he's got a calm head about him and takes his opportunities when they come. 

IMO we really needed a top number one like Pope but these aren't markets we appear to be able to afford.

As for City's youngsters, I hope we sign Delap on a Tino-like perm and bring in Palmer on loan. 

I think it's a huge gamble when you don't have any capable number 1's at the club as it is, I don't think our goal keeping situation is in good enough of a place to be able to take gambles on youth if I'm honest.

It may be work out, but it's not the 'certain' upgrade/number 1 we have been crying out for. Ultimately it means McCarthy remains number 1 in the short term and that is not good enough really.

We're crying out for a bit of experience down the spine of the team, this isn't the start we wanted to see. (Again, nothing against Bazunu as he is very talented but ultimately very young and inexperienced)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 6

I’m sure he is talented and hopefully I eat my words here next season but it is a huge gamble in a position where the club cannot afford to. Although would probably do quite do well in the Champ assuming we do drop next year. If both Forster and McC had left at the end of their contracts as should have happened in a more competent club then a Ben Foster type could have come in for a year or two to start and allow Bazanu to settle and compete for the first team jersey. Whoever renewed McCarthy (and didn’t even have the guts to admit to it) should be fired, that’s for certain and has no business working at SFC or any other leading club. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think it's a huge gamble when you don't have any capable number 1's at the club as it is, I don't think our goal keeping situation is in good enough of a place to be able to take gambles on youth if I'm honest.

It may be work out, but it's not the 'certain' upgrade/number 1 we have been crying out for. Ultimately it means McCarthy remains number 1 in the short term and that is not good enough really.

We're crying out for a bit of experience down the spine of the team, this isn't the start we wanted to see. (Again, nothing against Bazunu as he is very talented but ultimately very young and inexperienced)

Indeed.  Gunn was really highly-rated, but folded like an accordion after the sh*t hit the fan.

• Like 4

Buffon made his Serie A debut at 17 and joined Juventus at 22 for a world record fee, and made his Italian senior mens team debut at 19. 

Age isn’t everything and fingers crossed he is superior to McCarthy, just like Buffon would’ve been at the same age. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Hopefully he works out better than Gunn did, however we will desperately need an experienced centre back in front of him

I fully agree but as with McCarthy, they have boxed themselves in the corner by renewing Stephens as well (and won’t admit to it either). If Jack was released, then we could have afforded to have taken a gamble on replacing the departing Bednarek (judging by how active his agent is and the FA Cup QF mess) by getting a right footed Salisu equivalent CB for the longer term along with a more experienced option eg Mee or Jones, where they probably will only start 20 games over a couple of years but come on later in others to steady things down in tight games or where the side has collapsed and likely to ship several goals quickly.

Poor planning, assets to sell are only assets if they can cut it at the level you are currently at and we know Jack is 4th choice and we already have Lyanco for that. 

He seems talented and 10 RoI caps at least so a bit more experienced than Gunn was (and £3m cheaper, Les really got his pants pulled down there, although not as badly as Monaco did to the gullible fool). Fingers crossed he matures fast and we are fending off £40m bids in 2 years time. 

Edited by saint1977

Just now, Ed Rooney said:

Whoever we sign or play as a GK hopefully we can do them a favour and sort out the main problems which is the shit in front of him and the midfield being over run game after game 

This. We could have pipe Henderson even Jesus in goal but if you let the the other team straight through you will concede time after time. Oh for a 2x2 of Morgan S, Victor W, and 2 of Toby A, Jose F or Virgil vD in front.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Buffon made his Serie A debut at 17 and joined Juventus at 22 for a world record fee, and made his Italian senior mens team debut at 19. 

Age isn’t everything and fingers crossed he is superior to McCarthy, just like Buffon would’ve been at the same age. 

Knowing our luck he’ll end more Buffoon than Buffon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This goalie could be superb but I still don't see why we can't just buy a decent established prem keeper. If he's not as good as we thought then we're going to end up with Mccarthy again who we know is not good enough. Seems a pointless gamble in a position you really need to get right. 

• Like 2

Assuming his injury is cleared up before pre season starts I wouldn't be at all suprised if he goes straight into the team for the first game.

Not going to judge a signing based only on his age. Its his ability and attitude that are more important and if he is turning down a new contract at City to come here for a better chance to play then thats a good start.

• Like 1

Not a great benchmark to gauge someone on but he was voted player of the season at PFC and the amount of messages I’ve had about him joining us from skate chums I know is surprising. 
they are furious. 
And they are gutted. 
they rated him highly. 
As I say…not a great benchmark….but it’s made a few very grumpy. 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He could do with being coached out of the habit of always parrying but looks a good shot-stopper nonetheless (at least from his highlights 😁)

Totally agree, has to be able to stop flinging his hands at the ball and rather catch a few,cause with our defence its going to come back at him just as quick as the parries. Btw my Pompey friend thinks hes ok, too good for that league. Apparently so..........

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

Not the sort of signing I was hoping for at gk. Massive gamble to take imo to go with a kid with no experience outside of league 1 when the team has just come off a season of conceding 67 goals and the other keeper hasn’t exactly been pulling up trees.

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

2 hours ago, Mr Saints said:

Would prefer an experienced GK to come in and be number 1 from the off, but that wouldn’t be very Saintsy. Good luck to the lad anyway.

We just don’t seem to learn do we ?

I'm not convinced we'd go for Pope, but I was expecting a younger Gk (and 25-26 is still young for a GK) with some experience behind him.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

Dunno why we ain’t going all out to get Pope. He’s on a plate FFS

Money, and sell on value. 

Personally think he could be a really good signing, and I don’t really care too much about an experienced head. We need someone who will suit our style, play out from the back for example. Let’s just hope he’s a decent keeper too. He can’t be any worse than Macca. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Badger said:

We just seem to learn do we ?

I'm not convinced we'd go for Pope, but I was expecting a younger Gk (and 25-26 is still young for a GK) with some experience behind him.

If he joins just pretend he is 25 years of age if he joins 

By the way one of our greatest goalkeepers Peter Shilton played for England in his early twenties and lets be positive and hope Gavin does the same

4 minutes ago, John B said:

If he joins just pretend he is 25 years of age if he joins 

By the way one of our greatest goalkeepers Peter Shilton played for England in his early twenties and lets be positive and hope Gavin does the same

Hed have to stop being Irish first 

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Barsiem said:

Hopefully he works out better than Gunn did, however we will desperately need an experienced centre back in front of him

1 hour ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

18 minutes ago, John B said:

Certainly need to improve the defence with an inexperienced GK.

Been thinking about this, and I expect Buffon, Shilton, even Banks would have quit as a nervous wreck by the age of 23 had they been expected to keep goal behind the sort of back four and midfield that Gunn had.

Edited by Badger
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm hopeful with this one. The reviews of his time down the road are very positive and he's got 10 international caps at a young age. I look at the gamble Brighton took replacing the experienced, capable but ultimately limited Maty Ryan with Robert Sanchez mid-season in the season before last which could've ended with relegation but it worked and look at how he's doing now. 

One thing, though, I hope we get him disinfected before he joins up with the rest of the squad...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Deanovski said:

A contact of mine who has worked with him thinks he will be a top 4 goalie.

So chill out, could be the best goalie  we've had in a decade 😂

That’s not a particularly high bar 

Sorry but I’m disappointed.

I’ll eat humble pie later if it comes to it but I am very underwhelmed. 

If this guy was rated any highly City would either put in a buy-back clause or send him on loan again to easily get him back, or even keep him to displace Steffen as their No. 2.

City do well on this front to inflate their accounting profits by selling players like these who are held at nil net book value. 

However, I don’t know how much we’ll spend this summer because I’m still of the mindset that £11m is a big chunk in our budget, but McCarthy gives me little confidence.

7 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Sorry but I’m disappointed.

I’ll eat humble pie later if it comes to it but I am very underwhelmed. If this guy was rated any highly City would either put in a buy-back clause or send him on loan again to easily get him back, or even keep him to displace Steffen as their No. 2.

How do you know there won't be?

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

This goalie could be superb but I still don't see why we can't just buy a decent established prem keeper. If he's not as good as we thought then we're going to end up with Mccarthy again who we know is not good enough. Seems a pointless gamble in a position you really need to get right. 

Sums it up quite well for me.

From the figure reported sounds as if more than Dragowski, and I expect we could find a decent experienced GK in Europe for less than £10m

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

How do you know there won't be?

Well I don’t MLG, I was going off Dan Sheldon’s tweet and mini-article on the Athletic.

If it turns out there is one then sure I’ll provide an opinion on it - better that than to sit there trying to find holes in every post. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bad Wolf said:

There's something about the idea of Pompey signing a player on loan, being their best player, then desperately trying to bring him back and us signing him for our bench makes me happy

That bit doesn't make me happy if he doesn't overtake McCarthy in the pecking order very quickly! 

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

That bit doesn't make me happy if he doesn't overtake McCarthy in the pecking order very

I've never seen him play but 10 caps at 20 years for a keeper is seriously impressive.

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu