Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

1 hour ago, HarvSFC said:

The club should have had two names ready to replace both this summer, Bazunu to replace McCarthy and somebody else to replace Forster, so that we have options, as with Bazunu and McCarthy we have to hope there's only one option and McCarthy goes back to being a backup keeper. 

I know situations relating to signings needs to be fluid, but we have known for a long time that Forster would need to be replaced and even McCarthy too, yet our scouting networked seems to have only extended 24 miles down the M27 to find a keeper that cant have been on many people's radar before his loan spell last season.

OK, if a good player is on your doorstep, why not scout him and then go ahead and sign him up, but seriously, we have one of the largest budgets in world football. Could we not have cast the net a little wider to find a 20 year old keeper with talent? Did we even look at other keepers before last year? Why have we not been tapping up young but experienced talent for the last 18 months?

How much budget is dedicated to scouting I wonder?

Edited by Chez
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

37 minutes ago, Chez said:

I know situations relating to signings needs to be fluid, but we have known for a long time that Forster would need to be replaced and even McCarthy too, yet our scouting networked seems to have only extended 24 miles down the M27 to find a keeper that cant have been on many people's radar before his loan spell last season.

OK, if a good player is on your doorstep, why not scout him and then go ahead and sign him up, but seriously, we have one of the largest budgets in world football. Could we not have cast the net a little wider to find a 20 year old keeper with talent? Did we even look at other keepers before last year? Why have we not been tapping up young but experienced talent for the last 18 months?

How do you know we did not do this?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I thought we could have gone with Johnstone and Bazunu to replace Forster and McCarthy.  With the likes of Henderson, Pope & Johnstone all looking for clubs and the likes of City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all have settled No.1's it will be interesting to see what happens.  I guess Newcastle & West Ham will be destinations for 2 of the 3 but Saints should be in there as it's the key position that needs sorting.

Is anyone underwhelmed by his possible signing?

I’m assuming most would like him but rather see him as a number two/cup goalkeeper first rather than coming in as a number one.

It’s difficult because in one regard, very good signing; but the flip side is if he’s coming to be our number one immediately that is one hell of a gamble, for a position that’s been of such high importance for us to fix for years, a difficult one to get behind and one that we’ve seen fail in the not to distant past (Angus “turnstile” Gunn).

• Like 4

Just because one keeper we signed at a young age from Man City didn't turn out to be as good as we expected doesn't mean it will be the same again.

I'm excited by Bazunu coming here and looking forward to seeing him play.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, Kings Chase Saint said:

I thought we could have gone with Johnstone and Bazunu to replace Forster and McCarthy.  With the likes of Henderson, Pope & Johnstone all looking for clubs and the likes of City, United, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs all have settled No.1's it will be interesting to see what happens.  I guess Newcastle & West Ham will be destinations for 2 of the 3 but Saints should be in there as it's the key position that needs sorting.

We won’t be doing that. We’re stuck with McCarthy even though the club won’t admit they’ve given him a new deal. Bazunu will come in, we will keep Willy for another year and that Turkish glovesman will sign and go on loan for a season before replacing Willy in 2023/24 as our third custodian 

51 minutes ago, Kings Chase Saint said:

I think Bazunu intends to play and wouldn't come here if we were signing a new goalkeeper ahead of him

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We won’t be doing that. We’re stuck with McCarthy even though the club won’t admit they’ve given him a new deal. Bazunu will come in, we will keep Willy for another year and that Turkish glovesman will sign and go on loan for a season before replacing Willy in 2023/24 as our third custodian 

The club haven't helped themselves with the sheer mystery surrounding McCarthy, it's like they're hoping fans forget he was out of contract so we don't  realise they were daft enough to renew him.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, david in sweden said:

so.....you're easily pleased then ?      I'm a bit more concerned about who we have up front at the start of next season. 

No one said we weren't addressing the attack? and tbh - its GK, CB's and No.10s that are the bigger issue for me. I quite like Che, and in all fairness Armstrong had very limited opportunities last year - still think there is a player in there, although his confidence must be on the floor after starting behind Long, Redmond, and an average broja (granted still young) for most of the season. Regardless of all that, we can still be excited by the signing of a top young prospect from one of the best teams in world football..

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

Might turn out to be a great signing but is one hell of a gamble if he’s supposed to be our new no1.

I think this is the crux of the complaints. It's not so much that people are writing him off, far from it, it's just that this position isn't really one we can afford to gamble on right now.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

I think this is the crux of the complaints. It's not so much that people are writing him off, far from it, it's just that this position isn't really one we can afford to gamble on right now.

Yep.

Ive ready some really positive reviews of him from Pompey fans. Also more than a fair share that say he makes mistakes, and reasonably often (as a young keeper will).

It is a gamble, and I haven’t seen enough of him to comment either way. Just hope he’s ready as we’ll need him to be.

Danny Crowley saying he’s ready for the PL is nothing, that prat hasn’t worked out what’s good enough for getting out of League One down the road.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

But we have Macca and have some for a few seasons and haven’t been relegated. I don’t think he’s very good, but it’s not like he’s completely out of his depth. We were never going to sign another “proven” GK and pay him the same wage as Macca. Bazanu comes in as the cheap option and hopefully ousts Macca. 

It might go horrendously and they’re both awful, in which case we have the.chance to address it in Jan. feels like really good business to me. 

2 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

But we have Macca and have some for a few seasons and haven’t been relegated. I don’t think he’s very good, but it’s not like he’s completely out of his depth. We were never going to sign another “proven” GK and pay him the same wage as Macca. Bazanu comes in as the cheap option and hopefully ousts Macca. 

It might go horrendously and they’re both awful, in which case we have the.chance to address it in Jan. feels like really good business to me. 

If McCarthy didn't get injured last season I think we could have gone down, Forster put in some brilliant performances after coming back in. 

• Like 3

In my opinion, if he can distribute the ball and think a bit more quickly then he will be a significant upgrade and much better suited to our way of playing.

Hopefully people will give him a bit of time and see him play before completely writing him off, but that wouldn't be very saintsweb would it?

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Pretty fair. I think every Saints fan hope he is a big success.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Agree, it might turn out to be very good business. It's a gamble but I guess if we are trying to make the most of a limited transfer budget then this sort of signing makes sense if they think McCarthy can still do a job.

On 09/06/2022 at 03:10, Dusic said:

Assuming his injury is cleared up before pre season starts I wouldn't be at all suprised if he goes straight into the team for the first game.

Not going to judge a signing based only on his age. Its his ability and attitude that are more important and if he is turning down a new contract at City to come here for a better chance to play then thats a good start.

Add to that, that apparently City offered him improved wages etc., and he still moved as he wants to Play. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

A very good mate has seen him a fair but at Fratton and believes he is the dogs danglies. Excellent keeper who is very good with the ball at his feet/sweeping up.

of course that is league 1!

Been told he was the best footballer at the club and he was the goalie.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

A very good mate has seen him a fair but at Fratton and believes he is the dogs danglies. Excellent keeper who is very good with the ball at his feet/sweeping up.

of course that is league 1!

Terry Paine was the dogs bollix in Div 3 Div 2 and Div 1 and went on the a World Cup Winners Medal

Not sure Gavin will win a World Cup winners medal but lets hope he does well here if he does eventually join us

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

Not sure you could call it really good business getting in an unproven keeper when we are a shambles defensively. It is trying to do the best given are seemingly crap financial situation though/

10 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

At least it's providing some entertainment. This guy appears to be a journalist and a lecturer at Winchester Uni.

So he should have stayed at Man City so that Pompey fans, where he'll probably never play again, will remember him fondly, they really are a strange lot.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, The Kraken said:

Tbf, that’s Joe Meclutchbroke and most other Pompey fans seem to despise him as much as they hate Saints. He’s like a Poundshop Piers Morgan.

You can't cheapen Poundland by linking Morgan to it. Seems unfair.

I may be wrong, but unlike other positions I think it is possible to read more into a keeper in League One than an outfield player in terms of readiness for the Premier League.  At least in some respects.

He has been playing in a mid table side and therefore will have been exposed to plenty of goal bound attempts.  Additionally there is much more (as we remember) of an aerial bombardment at that level.  In that sense there are parts of a keeper’s game that are individualistic which I do think bear scrutiny.

Where it is harder to assess I think is on the floor given weaker team mates, character and “commanding your defence” etc.  It is very relevant though that he has already been capped ten times as full international.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Forester said:

Where it is harder to assess I think is on the floor given weaker team mates, character and “commanding your defence” etc.  It is very relevant though that he has already been capped ten times as full international.

You’d hope that playing for Man City’s Youth teams would mean he has to be pretty decent with his feet. There’s a small example of him pinging some passes in some of his highlight videos. 

Tim Flowers came from a lower level, having been relegated twice with Wolves they were in the old division 4 when we signed him. The difference is that although he made his first team debut quite quickly he was the backup to Shilton. While it looks like we are expecting Bazunu to be number one from the start.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu