Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

From the little on show, you can easily get the feel that he is going to be good, and have a potential awesome career.  I am sure he will have a few dodgy games, just the way it goes.

Imagine if McCarthy starts in goal next weekend?!?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...

Agree. He's too green for an intense dogfight season in the top tier. Hate to say it but we should have signed Dragowski.

I think Bazunu will come good eventually but I hope it's not too late to save our season.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Agree. He's too green for an intense dogfight season in the top tier. Hate to say it but we should have signed Dragowski.

Work permit issues meant it was a non starter. Looks like Leicester are going to be able to sign him in January, though, because he's now playing enough to meet the criteria.

Bazunu is no better than what we already had. No presence. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cloggy saint said:

He offers nothing more than Macca.

He'd have been ok as a £1M signing take a punt on his potential but Man City saw us coming and rinsed us for £15M, he's only played league one football ffs,  could well come good but as I've mentioned before he doesn't seem to talk and organise the defence at all which we badly need 

• Like 3

What are you lot talking about! He has a lot to learn but he is so much better than McCarthy. I thought he was sound today and could do nothing about the goals. Some good saves and a couple of really good takes that McCarthy would have flapped all over.

• Like 16

15 minutes ago, maysie said:

What are you lot talking about! He has a lot to learn but he is so much better than McCarthy. I thought he was sound today and could do nothing about the goals. Some good saves and a couple of really good takes that McCarthy would have flapped all over.

He made some good saves today but so did McCartney at times, not seen anything from Bazunu this season that makes me think he'll make a big difference. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JRM said:

He made some good saves today but so did McCartney at times, not seen anything from Bazunu this season that makes me think he'll make a big difference. 

I don’t want to slag off Bazunu, he’s young and will make mistakes.

In the last few games though, he hasn’t made enough big saves. He’s let in goals that certainly Forster wouldn’t have conceded. He made some solid saves today but I’d say all of them were those that you’d expect a top line keeper to make. There haven’t been many (if any) “wow, how did he save that?” moments since the season started.

Today I thought his positioning was poor for the Cancelo goal and the Mahrez goal. His lack of a midfield shield does him no favours, but he’s not standing out at the moment for me. On performances I don’t see him as being better than McCarthy, which is a sad indictment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I don’t want to slag off Bazunu, he’s young and will make mistakes.

In the last few games though, he hasn’t made enough big saves. He’s let in goals that certainly Forster wouldn’t have conceded. He made some solid saves today but I’d say all of them were those that you’d expect a top line keeper to make. There haven’t been many (if any) “wow, how did he save that?” moments since the season started.

Today I thought his positioning was poor for the Cancelo goal and the Mahrez goal. His lack of a midfield shield does him no favours, but he’s not standing out at the moment for me. On performances I don’t see him as being better than McCarthy, which is a sad indictment.

Completely agree, not his fault and a massive jump from league one to this, there was quite a bit of unfounded hype when we signed him, he's a young lad with a bit of lower league experience not surprising he's going to take a while , problem is we don't have the luxury of time 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dellman said:

No sign of special qualities or command of his area so far. I never thought I would say we miss Forster, but we do

I've sat close behind his goal for a few games, no shouting or command , maybe that develops with age 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dellman said:

No sign of special qualities or command of his area so far. I never thought I would say we miss Forster, but we do

I always thought we’d miss Forster unless Bazunu turned out to be true class. He isn’t that.

There are better keepers than Forster but, at our level, he was good. Price was obviously a massive factor in losing him, but right now I’d have him as our number one any day.

• Like 3

We’ve tried to be clever dicks & reinvent the wheel. Football reality is you don’t put nippers in nets based on their potential. He may turn out to be a top top player, but it’s extremely reckless to chuck him into a struggling side like we have.

Like Rupert before them, the new owners seem to think they know better than perceived football wisdom and that youngsters are the way forward. That only works if you have experienced proper leaders around them. The only experience we’ve got are son-in-laws, we need to get the odd pirate in to play alongside them. When was the last time one of our keepers dished out a verbal after pathetic defending? We’re too soft and that’s not the environment a nipper will learn in. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 9

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We’ve tried to be clever dicks & reinvent the wheel. Football reality is you don’t put nippers in nets based on their potential. He may turn out to be a top top player, but it’s extremely reckless to chuck him into a struggling side like we have.

Like Rupert before them, the new owners seem to think they know better than perceived football wisdom and that youngsters are the way forward. That only works if you have experienced proper leaders around them. The only experience we’ve got are son-in-laws, we need to get the odd pirate in to play alongside them. When was the last time one of our keepers dished out a verbal after pathetic defending? We’re too soft and that’s not the environment a nipper will learn in. 

Moneyball 

Think of the resale potential once these youngsters have Premier league experience $$$$$$$$

We really shouldn't have signed a kid for this position. He might be talented and have potential, but get him for your bench and sign an match-ready one for the number 1 jersey

It's not all on Bazunu, but he does worry me and can look like a bit of a rabbit in headlights (which is to be expected, as he's a kid)

• Like 1

He needs to work on claiming crosses but that should come with experience. Don't forget that De Gea was pretty inept at that in his first season in the Premier League as a young keeper.

Last season people complained about McCarthy letting in near post shots and now there's people saying Bazunu is stood to near his post. 

Also love the fact he's written off as another Angus Gunn after a few games. 

There's barely any keepers playing top flight football at his age. He's at a high level, playing in front of an extremely young CB pairing with no recognised defensive midfielder in a team devoid of confidence. 

I can't think of a tougher situation for him to be in.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, stevy777_x said:

He s been average this season. Doesn’t come out on crosses, free kicks or corners and is beaten at the near post like McCarthy is.

Not impressed thus far for a 15m signing.

Par for the course for us then.

Wonder if we’ve ever considered employing a GK coach to improve them in their game.

Novel idea, but it might just work.

18 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We really shouldn't have signed a kid for this position. He might be talented and have potential, but get him for your bench and sign an match-ready one for the number 1 jersey

It's not all on Bazunu, but he does worry me and can look like a bit of a rabbit in headlights (which is to be expected, as he's a kid)

Obvious to all. But not on Planet Semmens.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Absolutely agree with everything here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, maysie said:

Nah, McCarthy saves McNeil's goal last week for sure. It went straight through Bazunu!!!

It's like Super Kelvin Davis; immense in the two promotion years, but in the Premier League, you need more.

He isn’t ready to play at this level, doesn’t save anything. I think he has huge potential but not seeing much difference between him and Angus Gunn at the moment, maybe Bazunu slightly better with the ball at his feet…but shot stopping….he’s really poor. 

Give me Fraser Forster over him this season, without a doubt.

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'd play McCarthy. He was always harshly criticised by our fans. Bazunu would be a brilliant Championship goalie; next season for us maybe when we win the league?

Harshly criticised 😂. He brought it on by being absolute dogshit. Bazunu hasnt overly stood out, but he also hasnt done anything terribly bad. He deserves to play until the WC break at least. If he starts making more mistakes then we can take him out of the firing line, but not right now

• Like 5

On 26/07/2022 at 22:01, AlexLaw76 said:

From the little on show, you can easily get the feel that he is going to be good, and have a potential awesome career.  I am sure he will have a few dodgy games, just the way it goes.

Imagine if McCarthy starts in goal next weekend?!?!

10 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

New Angus Gunn. 

shame

🤣

• Haha 9

I only saw the match on Motd but he did make 3 saves and I don’t think he can be at fault for the goals , it would have to be a very good keeper to stop any of them. On the analysis it showed him taking the ball from Haalands foot with Haaland at speed running into the box . Better than Gunn .

Edited by East Kent Saint
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Which is why I have little faith in our hipsters running the show to appoint the manager we need to prevent us dropping out of the premier league with a whimper.

• Like 1

yesterday he did OK. He was grease lightening off his line and he caught everything. However, he hasn't been hugely impressive in other games so far.

He lacks a physical presence. He's the smallest 6'2" keeper I've ever seen.The goal looks massive with him in it. I guess if he saved everything, then that goal would look a damn sight smaller, but his positioning has not been perfect and he had made the goal look even bigger at times. 

Yesterday apart, he hasn't looked brilliant on crosses. He's dropped stuff when given the faintest of nudges. That lack of physical presence has shown up. Yesterday has improved my confidence, slightly.

He's made some decent saves, but so far only one `world class' save that I can recall. That said, I am not sure how many of the goals conceded were saveable. A couple went through him perhaps, but that's inevitable for all keepers.

His kicking has been a bit disappointing.  Nine times out of ten he just hoofs it long to no one. When given more time he does ping a decent ball wide. He plays it safe a lot, by which i mean he just smashes it first time. I thought he'd play a bit more football. This may not be a bad thing as Raya found out yesterday.  In general, I have confidence in him. That certainly can't be said of other recent Saints keepers.

Other than dropping a simple cross last week that he got away with, he hasn't made too many obvious big mistakes. Certainly not ones that have been punished, and that is important for team confidence. Again though, if you don't get your positioning right, that can be as big a gift as dropping a cross.

Overall, I get Kepa vibes. Seeing as he is back as first choice in a CL Chelsea side, I am not sure if that is good or bad.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

This thread is just a cut and paste of every other new player critique. They are never good enough.

I would guess the Lavia and Livramento threads go the other way, with them overhyped. 

Shouldn’t be of any surprise at all that he has looked ordinary with a few errors like all inexperienced players. Ordinary in the Prem from great in L1 is I imagine what we expected, he’s better than Mc Carthy but no better than Forster, and he’s worse than 80pc of the other Prem gks. This is the SR model, get young improve and sell, although I don’t see him ending up as a £30m gk so not sure if this was the right way to go in such a crucial position. 

2 hours ago, Midfield_General said:

We’ve got a goalkeeping coach. Andrew Sparkes. 

I was aware of him, so to some extent the post was tongue in cheek, although I did add … to improve them in their game  as there has been little evidence of that over recent seasons. Just about every GK has got weaker over time with us, which you’d be inclined to attribute to coaching and confidence.

Just hope we don’t see Bazunu go the way of the earlier ‘prospect’ Gunn. I think GB is a better prospect but playing behind our defence and midfield will shred his confidence over the course of this season if we’re not careful to protect him. 

1 hour ago, Badger said:

I was aware of him, so to some extent the post was tongue in cheek, although I did add … to improve them in their game  as there has been little evidence of that over recent seasons. Just about every GK has got weaker over time with us, which you’d be inclined to attribute to coaching and confidence.

Just hope we don’t see Bazunu go the way of the earlier ‘prospect’ Gunn. I think GB is a better prospect but playing behind our defence and midfield will shred his confidence over the course of this season if we’re not careful to protect him. 

Probably just the law of averages. Playing for us a keeper gets more to do than at any other club. Oh for those days of FF and his consecutive (was it 5??) clean sheets when he was so well protected he hardly had a difficult save to make.

When Tim Flowers came in as a young keeper from Wolves he really struggled and we had to sign Burridge. But with time he became one of the best keepers we have ever had and went on to play for England and win the title with Blackburn. I think Bazunu will come good, but not sure we have the time right now for that to happen

Bazunu hasn't kept a clean sheet for 16 matches for Pompey, Saints or Ireland over the last half a year. Obviously, he hasn't kept any yet for us. I wonder what the Saints club and Premier League records are for the number of matches before a goalkeeper keeps his first clean sheet? I guess Bazunu must already have broken the Southampton club record for the Premier League.

Fraser Forster went 1 game before his first and kept 3 in his first 5 Premier League games. Alex McCarthy went 7 PL games before his first for Palace but kept one in his first PL game for Saints. Gazzaniga went 6 PL games before his first.

Edited by Nordic Saint

The critisicm of bazunu is not justified. I actually struggle to see it as little more than negative fans seeking to piss and moan at the club and players to vent frustrations, rather than being constructive and continue to support players who are clearly still trying.

Our 2 biggest issues stem from the fact we have no central midfield depth, and didn't buy a good striker. And that is on the club hierarchy, not our young keeper who has actually been fairly solid in games all things considered.

By all means, if you really want to have a shit show of a season, start getting on the back of all these youngsters and destroy their confidence 👍

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Of all the problems we have to address at the moment I would suggest that the keeper is a long way from the top of that list.

I think he's doing alright for someone being asked to perform behind a shitshow.

IMO he's not been responsible for any more than 2-3 goals let in this season which is probably about average for a team like us and possibly even good for his age.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Oh we turned on him now? Fair play, I thought it would happen at least a month ago.

Nobody has 'turned on him'. He's got the full support of all Saints fans at every game. He is a very promising young goalkeeper and as you say, he is "good for his age" (in fact, I'd even go so far as to say he is very good for his age) but you can't help questioning whether he has been thrown in to the Premier League too young. It would be more sensible to use him initially as a cup goalkeeper to build his confidence. The problem is we never recruited an experienced goalkeeper to replace Forster. You could say similar about some of the other youngsters we've recruited this year: they are being thrown into the deep end too soon and it's bound to shake their confidence. We may have got the record for the youngest team in the Premier League this season but our record on the pitch is not very good. 

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1