Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

3 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Our goalkeeper is shit? What on earth do you think?

He's made 3/4 clear cut conceding mistakes and had about 8/9 go past him which looked shaky as well.

You’re watching a different game.

I see all the faults in front of him. If you’re expecting a goalkeeper to stop everything then you’re in the wrong sport.

• Confused 8
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I see all the faults in front of him. If you’re expecting a goalkeeper to stop everything then you’re in the wrong sport.

To be fair there’s the Lallana goal today and the Lincoln one last week.

I’m not as critical of him as a fair few on here but bloody hell it’s a poor keeper or one very low on confidence let’s them both in!

• Like 5

Poor performances don’t make a bad player but he needs dropping at the moment.

He’s a young player and needs protecting.

First goal today was a howler, also some fault for the second.

Allot of rash decisions which could have also led to a goal, feel like he’s overthinking/over trying now. 

id go with Willy 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You've got to save the first one though, I'd expect a keeper in a Sunday league game to save that. It went through his hands like they were made of butter, his wrists were not strong enough at all. 

That isn't a goalkeeper being unlucky, that was an absolutely horrendous mistake at any level and is rightfully being called out. We can't carry someone who does shit like that.

• Like 6

Horrendous mistake for the first goal. It was right at him. Second one he should cut out the cross and as a defender (Perraud) you would expect the keeper to help you out. The cross was hardly fired across so his positioning was poor.

I'm definitely no fan of McCarthy but he deserves a start against Fulham. Bazunu has shown some promise, but its been littered with quite a few silly mistakes. What you probably expect from a kid in his first PL season so the club shouldnt be shocked.

• Like 4

We shouldn’t be relying on a 20 year old keeper, plying behind a bunch of relatively young defenders. We really needed a solid keeper to give the team strong foundations to build on this season. There is no doubt he has promise, but so did Gunn. He still hasn’t recovered. It’s a huge ask, and frankly Bazunu isn’t ready to be a first choice GK in the premier league. 

• Like 3

It amazes me that after recruiting young but promising goalkeepers over the last 15 years with none showing they were good enough for the PL we then bought GB with the same outcome at the moment.

For the PL you need experienced GKs like Niemmi Boruc Forster even Kelvin was better than Bazuna and sometimes quite inspired

9 minutes ago, John B said:

It amazes me that after recruiting young but promising goalkeepers over the last 15 years with none showing they were good enough for the PL we then bought GB with the same outcome at the moment.

For the PL you need experienced GKs like Niemmi Boruc Forster even Kelvin was better than Bazuna and sometimes quite inspired

I feel sorry for Bazunu, but a few of us made the point a year ago - we needed to get the GK position right in the summer, we can't go with a Tino approach it needs to be someone proven. We went with the Tino approach.

I have no problem signing someone like Bazunu and I see the logic, but we should have replaced Forster with a PL starting experienced GK. Pope was out there if we put our chips down early enough, cheaper than Bazunu believe it or not. That would have been a better environment for Bazunu to learn in if we went for both.

This situation and current environment is probably going to erode any potential that Bazunu once may have had.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

48 minutes ago, Archers Road Stand said:

Hasn't taken that lot long to label him agent Bazunu. 🤢

They’re probably onto something. He can’t possibly be this bad and actually not mean it. That first goal yesterday was bordering on match fixing 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Basically he is too young and inexperienced to have that amount of pressure heaped on him, especially playing behind a road crash of a defence such as ours. 

The young guys confidence has now been blasted out of existence and I can only blame the idiots who have put him in that situation. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

what is his potential based on exactly, a good season for portsmouth in league one? In that case we may as well of signed brett pitman to solve our striking problems. 

We've been well and truly done this summer, we allowed Joe Shields to dictate our transfer policy before he promptly f*cked off to better things. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

We've been well and truly done this summer, we allowed Joe Shields to dictate our transfer policy before he promptly f*cked off to better things. 

"HELLO IS THAT MAN CITY"

"YEAH"

"WE'D LIKE TO BUY YOUR GOALKEEPER " 

"WHICH ONE?" 

"GAVIN BAZUNU" 

"WHO?"

"WELL HE'S NEVER PLAYED FOR YOU BUT HE HAS BEEN OUT ON LOAN AT ROCHDALE AND PORTSMOUTH "

"OH RIGHT YEAH, NO PROBLEM HOW MUCH ARE YOU OFFERING?"

"£15 MILLION BRITISH POUNDS"

"DONE" 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

The Lincoln goal was AMN’s fault, which made for a horrible situation for any keeper and he come off worst in it. That wasn’t his fault, but could’ve done better. 

Lallana’s goal was a disgrace, for any keeper, at any level.

He hasn’t been solid, by any means. But, a 19/20 yo keeper jumping into the Prem… Hardly going to be all plain sailing, especially when we’re playing as badly as we are. 

I agree he needs dropping, for his own protection more than anything else. GK’s are as much about confidence as they are ability. Problem is, that confidence stems from what you have in front of you. Little wonder he has none. 

• Like 1

On 27/12/2022 at 09:20, Saint Garrett said:

We shouldn’t be relying on a 20 year old keeper, plying behind a bunch of relatively young defenders. 

KWP, Perraud and Lynco are all 25, CC is 26. We don't have a particularly young or inexperienced defence. With a 33 year old and a 41 year old, we were always going to bring in a young keeper. The problem was, it was highly likely the new signing would be first choice as the other two options were not ideal. I wasn't overly concerned about his age, it was more about whether he was really top class and good enough to be a Prem starter straight away. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, saintscottofthenortham said:

The Lincoln goal was AMN’s fault, which made for a horrible situation for any keeper and he come off worst in it. That wasn’t his fault, but could’ve done better. 

Lallana’s goal was a disgrace, for any keeper, at any level.

He hasn’t been solid, by any means. But, a 19/20 yo keeper jumping into the Prem… Hardly going to be all plain sailing, especially when we’re playing as badly as we are. 

I agree he needs dropping, for his own protection more than anything else. GK’s are as much about confidence as they are ability. Problem is, that confidence stems from what you have in front of you. Little wonder he has none. 

A bottom of the Sunday League 3rd reserve keeper would have save Lallana's weak header. Bazunu should have been comfortably catching that but he appeared to want to push it out and ended up making a complete hash of a simple save. Nerves, age and inexperience shouldn't be a factor. To me he seems to want to push all shots out and doesn't seem confident of catching anything cleanly which is not a good sign.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JRM said:

The News is clearly inundated with `agents' posing as journalists helping to bring the paper to its knees. Doing a damn fine job they are too.  tin pot.

5 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

It’s actually incredible that he cost 15 million pounds. it’s almost questionable for money laundering for man city. 

If he’s worth £15m then I’m worth at least £10m, and I’m in my 50s and the highest level I played was Southern League Premier.

I seriously think I would have stopped Brighton’s first 2 goals.

• Like 2

Are those calling for McCarthy's return the same as those insisting Baz had to go straight in to the 1st team at the start of the season because of the options open to us? A fully fit McCarthy may be a shot stopper but his distribution is awful and bordering on shambolic. He's also very quiet and doesn't direct the defence like FF used to do. And remember last year's game against Brighton when Mac felt a niggle so called JWP back on the line allowing them to score a last minute equaliser? Maybe Willy Caballero can belie his years and show us that Argentina have more than one useful goalkeeper.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is McCarthy still injured? He's hideously limited as we well know, but he surely must be a better option than Bazunu right now. 

Gav might be good one day, but right now we simply don't have the luxury of being able to carry a young, inexperienced keeper while he develops. We need experience and leadership in that position to give us any hope of staying up.

SR have right royally fucked up this really important bit of recruitment.

Just now, Sheaf Saint said:

Is McCarthy still injured? He's hideously limited as we well know, but he surely must be a better option than Bazunu right now. 

Gav might be good one day, but right now we simply don't have the luxury of being able to carry a young, inexperienced keeper while he develops. We need experience and leadership in that position to give us any hope of staying up.

SR have right royally fucked up this really important bit of recruitment.

McCarthy would every now and then actually make a save you didn't expect him to. As limited as he was he's a better option for right now. We're halfway through the season and I can't remember Bazunu ever making any kind of positive impact on the game. 

Every other team in this league will have had a game where they can say "bloody hell our keeper kept us in that". We don't. 

• Like 2

Bazunu is worse than Angus Gunn. I was praying he was going to go off injured. He’s out his depth like the manager and will cost us even more points throughout the season. A major factor in us probably getting relegated.

He’s kept one premier league clean sheet all season and tried to throw that away too.

He just doesn’t seem to make many saves. Ok, todays was a tough one, but we’ve had keepers before who might have saved that. I could almost get on board with the odd howler if he was otherwise exceptional, but he just doesn’t seem to be very good. Also his decision making is all over the place, he looked an absolute mess in the first half. How far we’ve fallen that AMc is being suggested to replace him.

Pompey fans said about Bazunu that he makes mistakes but is an excellent shot stopper. I just don’t see that, he looks a bag of nerves and doesn’t have a presence.