Gavin Bazunu

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, Trader said:

Grow up.

It was quite obviously a joke. Read further up this thread and I'm one of the people saying how good he is, praising his technique and mentioning how excited I am by the signing.

Must remember to put some sort of emoji at the end next time. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Surely going to start the season as number one

The interview suggests he will either start as number 1 or be given opportunities very quickly.

Good news. 👍

(Emoji at the end in case Trader thought I was being sarcastic)

• Haha 3

Good luck to the lad and welcome aboard Gav. On the face of it, seems like a good signing and a definite upgrade. Time will tell of course, but I have a positive feeling about this. Now to find a decent centre back pairing in front of him. Salisu + one?

In an ideal world we'd have wanted a bit more experience in goal, but as others have said all the noises coming out of neutral sides are very impressive. He is spoken about very highly by almost anyone who has worked with him or seen him play.

I reckon we will see him start on day 1 if I'm honest. He's got an entire pre-season to settle in and friendlies to play in, that's his chance to prove he's better than McCarthy.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, trousers said:

To be fair, he also said the difference between Division 3 and international football is that he's been able to play at bigger grounds and in front of more fans... And there was me thinking you couldn't get any better experience than playing at Fratton Park... ;)

he must have it wrong surely……..

38 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

In an ideal world we'd have wanted a bit more experience in goal, but as others have said all the noises coming out of neutral sides are very impressive. He is spoken about very highly by almost anyone who has worked with him or seen him play.

I reckon we will see him start on day 1 if I'm honest. He's got an entire pre-season to settle in and friendlies to play in, that's his chance to prove he's better than McCarthy.

If he isn't our number 1 come the start of the season, will you/everyone be disappointed and equally, would there be concern - i.e. if he ain't good enough to take McCarthys place now, then have we signed the wrong guy?

It was February before Gunn started in the Prem for us I believe.

Welcome sir!

Not seen him play, and honestly hadn't heard of him until the links a few weeks back. But based on the various comments and articles on him, this looks to be a great signing.

A very "Saints" signing. #pathway

If he gets to the Tino standard then I'll be very happy indeed.

Good start to the window!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

If he isn't our number 1 come the start of the season, will you/everyone be disappointed and equally, would there be concern

Like plenty of others, I’ve always said that I’ll be concerned if Alex McCarthy is our number one glovesman at the start of the season. That doesn’t mean that Bazunu may not be a cracking signing, it sounds very optimistic on that front. But we’ll find out if he’s been targeted as an immediate number one or if the club want to give him some time as understudy first.

Personally I think he’s been signed as the new number one and will be the starting custodian come season kick off. So, yeah, I guess I’d be concerned if it turns out to not actually be the case.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think you’re right and he’ll be chief glovesman by match week one. 

3 hours ago, trousers said:

Unlike certain fraternities of the fan-base, I tend not to cast judgement on players, either before they've signed, or until they've played for us for a significant number of games, but I'm going to stick my neck out here...

I have a feeling this Bazuna fella could turn out to be the signing of the season.

There we are... neck on the line and all that.... #shootmedown

Many thanks Anne Bolyne. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Surely going to start the season as number one

Even if not he'll only have to wait for a couple of poor displays from Alex Mac to get a look in. That and Carabao. If anything hopefully this will push Alex to play better.

Welcome Gavin. I'm not going to lie I wanted an experienced, Prem ready number 1 like Pope but people seem to rave about this kid so I reserve judgement! 

Our new model of signing talented youngsters does worry me though, especially in a season where we could be fighting relegation. I don't mind seeing then brought in but I'd hope for a couple of more experienced heads too. We were basically shit for the last third of last season so we definitely need the recruits. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Turkish said:

Blaney was North Irish as well, still no Eire keeper i can think of.

Fred Kiernan Eire caps 1951/52 born Dublin played 132 matches for Saints. Can't get much more Irish than that.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, derry said:

I see we've signed Mateuz Lis and applied for a work permit. McCarthy could even be relegated to third choice in due course.

It wouldn't surprise me if he was sold this summer.

English benchwarmer to one of the 'bigger' clubs.

Hopefully.

We've signed a young player...a highly regarded one at that? Nah, don't believe it, surely Kerry Dixon and David Speedie are available these days. What's Dave Beasant up to nowadays? (to be fair, he was decent for us). We've already got hotels booked for next season in the Midlands and down Sowff for matches we can make and hopefully get tickets for. Please, please beat Forest at the Sh*tyy Ground. As ever, excited for the new season, hopes are high that this is the one that clicks and Ralph takes us somewhere! Welcome Gavin, our expectations are low, our hopes are high. Niemi is yours...and our benchmark, good luck! 

• Sad 1

Am assuming the absolute Skate Mong that was at the Ageas Bowl last night was so upset by our new Goalie , that’s why he was out of his brains, shouting skate songs, slagging off Southampton and then in the toilet cubicle was rude to the cleaners who said he would have to wait till she had refilled the  loo paper, he shouted I DONT NEED PAPER I’M FROM PORTSMUFF… what an embarrassment of a (loosely) human being. It’s a cricket match ffs!! It’s just a jealousy thing, the Ageas was Rocking and was beautiful last night. Am happy to have people all over Hampshire come, just keep your stupid mouths shut and all support our county. I guess it’s just the fact the club has always been based in Southampton. They don’t like it. That’s fine, don’t come if you can’t handle it. If you love cricket, just behave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Signing two goalies is a clear signal that we intend to import two top, top players for every position.... bring it on. Starting with eleven new faces at the TH Stadium would certainly bring some excitement back to St Mary's

Meanwhile I am counting down the days until Redmond's taxi arrives.

"Where to, sir?"

"Any(bloody)where mate, just take the road to Winchester and keep going North!"

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 1

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/20213792.remarkable-road-southampton-fc-new-signing-bazunu/?ref=twtrec

Not sure if this Daily Echo article has been posted on here yet? Good read, speaking with people he’s worked with in his fledgling career so far. 

After reading this article, I’m even more excited to see him play for us. So much positivity about his current ability, potential and attitude. Looks an excellent signing, if you’re good enough, you’re old enough!

On 17/06/2022 at 23:20, suewhistle said:

Well, I asked the Pompey fans in my team via our group chat, and they said he was crap. B*st*rds! I'll get past the bantz next training session.

Since then a sensible comment:

"There's been times his recklessness conceded a goal.. He will pull off a worldie then let in a goal he should have saved. He prefers the ball at his feet. Needs to be quicker at dispensing the ball for them counters.  He always offers an opportunity to play back a pass.  Got a decent throw on him and seems to always talk to his defence."

She finished by saying she wasn't sure if he was ready yet for the top and  ".. if I were you Sue I would keep expectations minimum".

To my comment that Saints can't afford the finished article she replied "He's got potential.."

21 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Since then a sensible comment:

"There's been times his recklessness conceded a goal.. He will pull off a worldie then let in a goal he should have saved. He prefers the ball at his feet. Needs to be quicker at dispensing the ball for them counters.  He always offers an opportunity to play back a pass.  Got a decent throw on him and seems to always talk to his defence."

She finished by saying she wasn't sure if he was ready yet for the top and  ".. if I were you Sue I would keep expectations minimum".

To my comment that Saints can't afford the finished article she replied "He's got potential.."

We have to remember where he spent last season. Was he slow at starting counters? or where the outfield players slow and making the runs for him to pass to?

As for always talking to his defence for me that puts him ahead of McCarthy already, regardless of any other ability. The keeper is part of the defence unit, McCarthy often gives the impression he's a stand alone last resort if and when something gets through the back 4/5.

Well I for one am very happy that we've prioritised sorting out the goalkeeping situation one way or another - it's been a problem for years that we've done nothing about. 

I was up for paying what we had to to get Nick Pope, but then His ambitions are probably higher than us.

So by the look and sound of him this youngster looks like a sensible and promising bet to take. I wish him all the best.

I would love to hear that he's a good preventative goalkeeper. I can see his agility and that he can make spectacular saves, but the really best goalkeepers are brilliant at snuffing out danger before it happens...they come for and catch corners and crosses to start with (McCarthy and Forster both crap at this). Then his kicking / distribution (again shouldn't be difficult to be an upgrade).

32 minutes ago, Vancouver Saint said:

I was up for paying what we had to to get Nick Pope, but then His ambitions are probably higher than us.

He has got to the age of 30 playing for Burnley. I doubt his ambitions would have been out of reach for Saints if Saints went for him. I'm happier with a profile of keeper like Bazunu to oust McCarthy. 

On 17/06/2022 at 10:07, saintwbu said:

Voulez-Vouz could work..

Bazunu will save all your shots

Your shots

Bazunu will save-all-of-your shots

Bazunu will save all your shots...

Etc

Edited by DrabWind

Newcastle saying they opted for Pope ahead of Henderson and Bazunu as it was seen as better value for money with regards to their financial fair play restrictions.

Not sure how much residual value Pope will have, but 3 keepers we’ve talked about a lot this summer. Will be interesting to find out if we made the best call this season.

3 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Newcastle saying they opted for Pope ahead of Henderson and Bazunu as it was seen as better value for money with regards to their financial fair play restrictions.

Not sure how much residual value Pope will have, but 3 keepers we’ve talked about a lot this summer. Will be interesting to find out if we made the best call this season.

£10m for Pope apparently, which is insanely good value. I think it's clear what our model is, the big fee's go down on young players with potential with a view to recouping double/treble that in a few years. I doubt that would be possible with Pope, although in respect of the here and now it would be perfect.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

£10m for Pope apparently, which is insanely good value. I think it's clear what our model is, the big fee's go down on young players with potential with a view to recouping double/treble that in a few years. I doubt that would be possible with Pope, although in respect of the here and now it would be perfect.

Surely that depends on wages, contract length and re-sale value, rather than just transfer fee.

9 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

There is no way we would be able to compete with Newcastle - the joke of state takeovers and FFP... 

Also pope's big weakness is his touch, footwork, and distribution - which makes him a bad choice for any team that wants to play out from the back and vs pressure. Given that and his age and wages, he probably isn't necessarily the best fit for us... I'd still have taken him over macca/forster mind. 

Burnley fans must be spitting. First the whole Chris Woods / relegation rival poach in the Jan window, then relegation, then pope. Can see Burnley only going one way and noises about fan protests against the owners in a couple of years. A big bullet dogged by saints given they looked at us. 

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

He seems to be extremely driven to play as many games as he can as soon as he can in his career. He talks about ‘the pathway’ with Saints, which suggests to me we’ve said to him that if he does well we won’t stand in his way of moving upwards in 2 or 3 years time. So hopefully he does something akin to VvD, brings a total level of quality to the team and leaves a hefty transfer profit when he moves on. It almost sounds like he’s been told he’s likely to be our number one straight away, I don’t think he’d have come here without some sort of assurance.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu
On 18/07/2022 at 07:15, Pilchards said:

Seen that save he made about 20 times now, honestly not seen a Saints keeper do something like that since Niemi.

So acrobatic and I reckon he’s going to be a fans favourite this season.

I just hope we get a couple of seasons out of him.

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

He played just 45 mins against RB Leipzig and I’m already feeling confident he’s going to be a big signing for us. Am I getting well ahead of myself?

From one half game yes, but the guy has been getting rave reviews since he was 16, everyone who has worked with him has spoken highly of him and how good he is, he was excellent for Pompey (albeit league 1) and has been excellent for ROI as well, including some key games against quality teams like Serbia and Portugal. So I think him making a confident start against a good team like Leipzig only adds to what has gone before that all points to him being an already good GK and potentially great one in the future.

I can see him getting the no.1 jersey pretty quickly and not giving it up any time soon. 

• Like 1