Paul McCartney

sadoldgit

The guy might have turned 80 years old and his voice may be going, but what a show he put on at Glastonbury tonight. I was in tears when he sang Something and in floods when he duetted with Lennon. Throw in Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen and some of the greatest music ever written.. what a night. The guy is a legend.

I surprised myself and stayed up to watch the show.

The band and the show were good and it was really the 60 year old songs which generally went down better with the audience than the newer songs.

Macca's voice is failing and his microphone didnt seem to project his voice well at times.

At 80 years old you can overlook Macca's failing voice but, as a comparison, I saw 79 year old George Benson put in a flawless performance at the BICC recently.

Will be interesting to see how Diana Ross performs at Glastonbury this afternoon.

I went to see the eagles on Monday. I’m not a massive fan but Mrs T and some of our friends are. I have to say they were bloody brilliant, they’re in their mid 70s as well. 

Compare that to how Phil Collins is now, some friends went to see him and said it was tragically bad, can barely sing now, sat in a chair all the way through. Really sad to see

and for once I agree with Soggy, Paul McCartney was great last night. 

watched a bit of Noel Gallagher he was good but the version of Whatever they did was awful, a brilliant song that he made sound like a crap school production version 

Edited by Turkish

I’ve seen him a couple of times (and Ringo who does a great show with a great band as well).  I was lucky enough to see him in 79 at The Gaumont. Absolutely fantastic, performance wise the 70’s were his peak, he’d abandoned the silly little Hofner for a Rickenbacker and it was an extraordinary performance. Still in his 30’s and only 9 years after the Beatles split, it remains my greatest musical memory.

The bloke is a fucking genius. The  volume of great songs he’s written is unbelievable, but he’s seriously underrated as a musician. Watch McCartney 321 on Disney, where Rick Rubin takes him through various songs and isolates bass tracks etc. if he’d never written a song he’d still be one of our greatest ever musicians. One story from Geoff Emericks book sums it up. George is trying to get the solo on Taxman and can’t get it right. George Martin suggests Paul gives it a go, and he nails it in one take. Having already produced the memorable bass line on that song, he tops it off with a quite superb lead solo. Rubin goes through bass line on Something, day in the life and other songs  he didn’t write, but his musically performance adds so much to those songs. Musically  he was head and shoulders above the other 3. 

To me he’s the greatest living Englishman. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2

My wife saw the Beatles in 1963 at their Christmas show at the Finsbury Park Astoria. There was non-stop screaming from all the hysterical girls and she couldn’t hear a thing from the stage. She assures me that she was not one of those who were screaming and I have to believe her. She was fourteen at the time.

7 hours ago, spyinthesky said:

Will be interesting to see how Diana Ross performs at Glastonbury this afternoon.

Very well from what I'm watching. She obviously hasn't got quite the vocal range she used to, but still pretty impressive for her age.

That's quite a crowd she has drawn. 

Perhaps McCartney's greatest achievement since Hey Jude is his ability to unite @sadoldgit + @Turkish

Personally I'm not in favour of old crusties at Glastonbury, no matter how good they are.  I went in 85 and discovered The Men They Couldn't Hang on a side stage while queueing for a burger.  Ended up seeing them a dozen times and absolutely loved them.  I'm a bit out of touch with line ups these days but not sure this sort of experience is still available.

2 hours ago, ecuk268 said:

I've heard better than that in a pub on a Saturday night.

I have to say Diana Ross is disappointing from what I hear on the BBC.

V good catalogue to present but a bit like Martha Reeves when I heard her on Jools Holland, her voice has gone.

Not a patch on Gladys Knight (or George Benson) who I have seen recently and they are of a similar age.

Also whereas Macca made reference to John, George and Ringo, Ms Ross (as she likes to be called) no mention of Mary Wilson or Florence Ballard from the Supremes.

Also in the early days Motown artists had the benefit of backing from the Funk Bros and the Andantes.

Still amongst all this it seems that the audience are enjoying themselves and that's what counts.

Ok, that’s freaky. Duckie and Delldays/Batman/Alex have finally morphed into one another. No surprise though! I can just imagine them back in the 70’s snuggling up with pints of Watneys watching episodes of Love Thy Neighbour.

Anyway, didn’t get to see The Beatles as I was 12 when they quit touring in 1966. Not disappointed as the screaming was a bit off putting. My first gig though was T.Rex not long after they changed from being a hippy band into teenyboppers so didn’t exactly avoid crowds of screaming hysterical girls.

When The Beatles broke up in 1970 there were so many other great bands emerging that I wasn’t particularly interested in following their solo careers. It wasn’t until 1990 that I finally got to see Paul McCartney on his first major solo tour after Wings at the Wembley Arena. He had a great band and the set list was awesome. Plenty of Beatles stuff and the best from the Wings era and his solo stuff at that point. It was probably the next best thing to seeing The Beatles although the harmonies were never going to be the same. Great gig.

If you are into that stuff The Bootleg Beatles also do an amazing job of recreating that music. They put on a terrific show too which transports you back to the 60’s. Happy days! Mind you, nostalgia ain’t what it used to be 😎

4 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

If you are into that stuff The Bootleg Beatles also do an amazing job of recreating that music. They put on a terrific show too which transports you back to the 60’s. 

Ringo does a great show that’ll take you back. He has had some fantastic musicians that all do a turn. When I went he had Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer and the mush from Mr Mister, but he’s had some real great talent over the years including Joe Walsh (whose his brother in law), levon Helm, Dr John, Billy Preston, Peter Frampton, Jack Bruce, and Rick Danko. His present line up includes  Hamish Stuart who played with McCartney after he disbanded Wings. Unfortunately, he tends to only tour the States nowadays and he’s even older than McCartney so I doubt I’ll get the chance again, but it’s a real top show. 

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Ringo does a great show that’ll take you back. He has had some fantastic musicians that all do a turn. When I went he had Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer and the mush from Mr Mister, but he’s had some real great talent over the years including Joe Walsh (whose his brother in law), levon Helm, Dr John, Billy Preston, Peter Frampton, Jack Bruce, and Rick Danko. His present line up includes  Hamish Stuart who played with McCartney after he disbanded Wings. Unfortunately, he tends to only tour the States nowadays and he’s even older than McCartney so I doubt I’ll get the chance again, but it’s a real top show. 

You're forgetting Canada. He plays here during every tour. He has eight concerts booked here in the autumn.

On 26/06/2022 at 09:41, AlexLaw76 said:

Got to be better than this...

That's a really bad sound mix. Normally when you get an aging star whose voice isnt what it was they are carried by good backing singers. She's got four but you can hardly hear them. 

Edited by buctootim
  • Like 1

On 26/06/2022 at 01:29, sadoldgit said:

Throw in Dave Grohl and Bruce Springsteen 

Just shows, even greats have heroes. Two of my favourite clips are off John Lennon and Keith Richards meeting theirs. Chuck Berry.

Chuck didn’t seem that impressed with Keith, who looks like he’d willingly chin his hero, and I love the look on Chucks face when Yoko joins in. It’s like WTF. As one of the comments underneath states “3 legends ,John, Chuck, and the bloke who turned Yokos mic off for the second song”. 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2022 at 10:44, Turkish said:

I went to see the eagles on Monday. I’m not a massive fan but Mrs T and some of our friends are. I have to say they were bloody brilliant, they’re in their mid 70s as well. 

Compare that to how Phil Collins is now, some friends went to see him and said it was tragically bad, can barely sing now, sat in a chair all the way through. Really sad to see

and for once I agree with Soggy, Paul McCartney was great last night. 

watched a bit of Noel Gallagher he was good but the version of Whatever they did was awful, a brilliant song that he made sound like a crap school production version 

Saw the Eagles yesterday at Hyde Park - absolutely superb. Joe Walsh is a complete nutter but still a brilliant guitarist - came up with a great line "I much preferred being in my 20's in the 70's than being in my 70's in the 20's". John McEnroe came on for the last song as well!

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss were great as well.

• Like 1