Saints 1-2 Grimsby: Match Thread

FarehamSaintJames

Hi people Grimsby fan in peace .

I live in Fareham so actually attend the odd Saints game ,so I was buzzing with excitement when the draw came out and with all the turmoil i was worryingly confident I thought you would roll it around a lot ,thats what bores me about the EPL games the long spells of vertical passing  otherwise i would probably go more ,I thought if we kept it quiet for 30 we would have a chance .

Enjoyed trying a couple of new pubs in town and having a few jars never realised there was a brewdog because i normally just go in spoons but it was over rammed so had a wonder ,liked shenanigans and will probably go back a friendly bunch in there and Matt Le Tiss goes in apparently .

Hopefully you turn it around or its the champ but maybe a reset is needed ,i have thought Saints have been clinging on for a while now .

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Both really. Bournemouth are not great defensively and he is a part of that. I saw them at home to Burnley and whilst he started off ok he was soon back in his usual routine.

What a load of old pony. You’re so biased it’s untrue.

He’s been voted MoTM by their supporters twice recently. The supporters I speak to ( and living in poole I speak to many) all rave about him and the local press recently wrote this about him. 

“Stephens arrived at a time when Bournemouth were desperate for cool heads and stability, and that is certainly still the case now. Fortunately, he ticks both of these boxes. Every time he has played, especially across 90-minute outings, he has never looked pressurised or panicky. He truly appears a defender capable of excelling in both areas of the game, underlining exactly why Bournemouth moved to sign him.

And it is this inherent reliability and unassuming focus on performing that has won over supporters in the blink of an eye. Such is the extent of his turnaround, if his deal were to be turned permanent at the end of the season, very few, if anyone, would complain.”

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shayne66 said:

Hi all, Grimsby Town fan here. 

After staying over, just got home and had a lot of time to have a rethink of what happened last night during the drive. 

Am actually not going to mention the match at all, but your fans/supporters/police/stewards. Literally the people of Southampton. 

Wow is all I can say, you guys before and after the match were superb. Spoke to many in pubs and on the streets before the game, and also afterwards on way back to pub/hotel. Everyone was super friendly, so much so.

Thinking of coming back and having a proper visit to the area.

Good luck for the rest of the season and hopefully will see you survive the drop. 

Glad you enjoyed your visit and well done. The whole match day experience is set up to cater for the away fans every need. Glad we didn’t disappoint, we rarely do. 

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What a load of old pony. You’re so biased it’s untrue.

He’s been voted MoTM by their supporters twice recently. The supporters I speak to ( and living in poole I speak to many) all rave about him and the local press recently wrote this about him. 

“Stephens arrived at a time when Bournemouth were desperate for cool heads and stability, and that is certainly still the case now. Fortunately, he ticks both of these boxes. Every time he has played, especially across 90-minute outings, he has never looked pressurised or panicky. He truly appears a defender capable of excelling in both areas of the game, underlining exactly why Bournemouth moved to sign him.

And it is this inherent reliability and unassuming focus on performing that has won over supporters in the blink of an eye. Such is the extent of his turnaround, if his deal were to be turned permanent at the end of the season, very few, if anyone, would complain.”

Yeah, whatever. As I said, I saw their game against Burnley when they let in four and their defence was as porous as soggy blotting paper. I notice that they’re just above in the table having let in seven more goals than us and have a goal difference worse than us by four.

Just imagine how much worse they might be without him.

8 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

“Is there any reason I can find for disallowing this goal?”

Unless it’s one of the top six clubs of course.

If it were at Grimsby we may well of had 1 or 2 goals given that there would not have been VAR,ok maybe 1 but that's deflecting the fact that it was embarrassing not to have had the capability to see of an old 4th division team at such a late stage in a cup competition. Where do we go from here,id just like to add further why oh why didn't we put out in theory our strongest team?,we haven't won anything since `76,this is what also angers most fans of the not top 6 teams the most ................we will never know eh.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Before I wipe my recording from the face of eternity here are a couple of screenshots of the assault on Djenepo in the first half last night. This was less than a minute before their penalty for alleged handball.

706B70DA-CD94-4C0B-969B-BF3AEA06A5B5.jpeg

FE05607D-7843-41F5-B005-AAEC05B9C003.jpeg

Trouble is Djenepo invariably looks like Bambi on ice which I think influences officials to ignore stuff like this. If that’s Grealish etc. he goes down writhing in pain, the Ref gets surrounded and there’s a card and free kick. Our lot just give up or get distracted and lose their composure.

It was quite a violent challenge. Djenepo’s head gets jerked back by the elbow. He had beaten Maher by his trickery so he just steps across to block and sticks his arm into Djenepo’s chin.

Please Mr. Referee Thomas Bramall will you explain to us all why a this is not a penalty and a red card yet a tap on the back is worthy of gifting a goal?

As a team we’re too nice to referee.

• Like 6

14 hours ago, JRM said:

They should be kicked out of the cup for that, only correct course of action is for the FA to reinstate us 

GTFC fan here.  You're clutching at straws mate, PL Club with all your 'superstars' and you're trying to get in through the back door!  If your players had the guts, and drive that ours had, you could have won easily, but you didn't!  Good luck for the rest of the season!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ruuger said:

GTFC fan here.  You're clutching at straws mate, PL Club with all your 'superstars' and you're trying to get in through the back door!  If your players had the guts, and drive that ours had, you could have won easily, but you didn't!  Good luck for the rest of the season!

I think you may have missed the sarcasm there. Good luck against Brighton.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ruuger said:

I'm pretty sure he was being ironic pal. 🙂

I must say this performance and result is still no easier to bear a few days on.  What an absolute disgrace it was.

That said, I do feel the referring witnessed is some of the worst I've seen in living memory.  I'm still trying to work out how on earth the second penalty was in any way the right call.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I'm pretty sure he was being ironic pal. 🙂

I must say this performance and result is still no easier to bear a few days on.  What an absolute disgrace it was.

That said, I do feel the referring witnessed is some of the worst I've seen in living memory.  I'm still trying to work out how on earth the second penalty was in any way the right call.

The second penalty ranks as one of the most ridiculous decisions I've seen in 60 years watching football.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

The second penalty ranks as one of the most ridiculous decisions I've seen in 60 years watching football.

A complete bottle job by the ref, who clearly got swept away by the moment.

Of course, because it helped with the great cup upset narrative, it doesn't appear to have received much (if any) attention by the media.

Fair play to Grimsby, but it's definitely fair to say that they got very lucky on a number of really big calls.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Of course, because it helped with the great cup upset narrative, it doesn't appear to have received much (if any) attention by the media.

Fair play to Grimsby, but it's definitely fair to say that they got very lucky on a number of really big calls.

It would have been headline news everywhere if it had been given against one of the elite clubs.

• Sad 1

You are right there.

Quite understandably most neutral supporters and TV critics were on the side of Grimsby but I wonder if the two penalty decisions had been given against the plucky underdogs.

That said a Prem side, even one as currently crap as we are, should really have overcome these debatable decisions.

The only straws I am clutching at are Chelsea losing at home to Bradford City a while back and Pompey losing to non League Aldershot in the FA Cup not so long ago.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ruuger said:

Bit of a whoosh moment there mate.  Absolutely nobody took his comment for real, other than you.  Right now we are a basket case of a club, you actually could've wished for a better draw when you got us. That said, if your second was a penalty, there will be at least fifty pens given in the Prem this weekend alone..! Either way you did a number on us, good luck in the next round at the Amex.

26 minutes ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

TBH this is starting to sounds like those conspiracy theorists who think the media are keeping quiet about the Earth's flatness because it's part of 'the narrative'. There is no narrative, nobody other than a handful of Saints fans on the internet are talking about this because it was a foul. DCC lashed out and hit Orsi, in the penalty area, right in front of the ref. How hard is irrelevant, it was a ludicrous thing for a PL defender to do against a struggling L2 team.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

DCC lashed out and hit Orsi, in the penalty area, right in front of the ref. How hard is irrelevant, it was a ludicrous thing for a PL defender to do against a struggling L2 team.

Yep. Stupid thing to do and it gave the ref an opportunity to make a decision. Totally unprofessional deserving of a long period in the reserves.

I think some are simply suggesting that it'd be a brave ref who'd give a penalty for that at some of our so-called elite club's grounds. St Mary's is too easy for the opposition, be it the visiting team & fans or even the officials.

15 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

TBH this is starting to sounds like those conspiracy theorists who think the media are keeping quiet about the Earth's flatness because it's part of 'the narrative'. There is no narrative, nobody other than a handful of Saints fans on the internet are talking about this because it was a foul. DCC lashed out and hit Orsi, in the penalty area, right in front of the ref. How hard is irrelevant, it was a ludicrous thing for a PL defender to do against a struggling L2 team.

DCC was a moron, no question.

Maybe I'm totally out of touch with the rules, but I still don't get how it was a penalty when the ball was in Alex McCarthy's arms when he did it.  A wouldn't have complained if it was a red card (albeit incredibly harsh) but don't understand the penalty decision.

Edited by Sunglasses Ron
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It wasn’t that extreme. If ‘how hard is irrelevant’ don’t forget that Orsi ‘lashed out’ at DCC immediately before. Never a foul. Never a penalty. And in the context of what had been allowed to go up till then, all against Saints, disgraceful.

Piss poor refereeing by a piss poor referee.

1 minute ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

DCC was a moron, no question.

Maybe I'm totally out of touch with the rules, but I still don't get how it was a penalty when the ball was in Alex McCarthy's arms when he did it.  A wouldn't have complained if it was a red card (albeit incredibly harsh) but don't understand the penalty decision.

The ball was in play at the time even though it was in McCarthy’s hands.

One of the great miscarriages of justice and an example of ridiculous refereeing that will continue to be talked about throughout the history of the game.

Opps, I forgot that it wasn’t against Beckham or Rooney.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He hardly lashed out - don't be fooled like the ref was by the fact that their player went down as though he'd been hit by a sledge hammer.It was a frustrated swipe on the back which should have been met with a wry grin by their forward. The ref could have booked the pair of them and got on with the game. One thing it clearly didn't warrant was the award of a penalty kick.

• Like 1

Sometimes its easier to take out the emotion and look at a situation without our own bias.

So Liverpool are playing Man Utd this weekend I think.  In a tense 0-0 draw full of emotion and with loads at stake, in the 88th minute a high ball is played over the top towards the Liverpool goal. chased by Weghorst and Robertson. It carries through to Alisson, but Weghorst (who has been battling with Robertson all game) treads on the defenders ankle (by 'mistake').  Robertson, having been wound up all game, slaps Weghorst lightly across the chest and a 10 man handbag scuffle follows.  This ends up 2 mins later with Robertson booked and the referee calmly awarding Man Utd a penalty.  They win the game 1-0.  There is no media coverage other than about Ten Hag being a genius and Klopp losing the plot by picking a tired VVD.

Doesn't look any better in that scenario does it.

And fair play to Grimsby by the way. 

32 minutes ago, saintant said:

He hardly lashed out - don't be fooled like the ref was by the fact that their player went down as though he'd been hit by a sledge hammer.It was a frustrated swipe on the back which should have been met with a wry grin by their forward. The ref could have booked the pair of them and got on with the game. One thing it clearly didn't warrant was the award of a penalty kick.

It could never be described as 'violent conduct' so no red card and no direcct free kick (penalty). The correct action if any was necessary was to book both players for 'unsporting behaviour' and restart the game with an indirect frre kick, most usually to the defence.

• Like 1

Mild retaliation by the victim of a foul has never been a penalty, shouldn't have been a penalty, and never will be again.

There really is nowt more to discuss, tomorrow we will probably have a new crisis to debate, let's save some energy for that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, saintant said:

They are a lower L2 side, playing at a PL ground. They were always going to need a bit of luck and sh*thousery to get a result and we gifted it to them on a silver platter. What you’re basically saying to their player is, “I know I just hit you but please can you act a bit tougher, so that you don’t get a penalty and we might win the cup tie, thanks.”

This isn’t Rivaldo against Turkey. DCC hit him, he had every right to go down and take the penalty we basically spoon fed them. They’re in the QF and we aren’t.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

They are a lower L2 side, playing at a PL ground. They were always going to need a bit of luck and sh*thousery to get a result and we gifted it to them on a silver platter. What you’re basically saying to their player is, “I know I just hit you but please can you act a bit tougher, so that you don’t get a penalty and we might win the cup tie, thanks.”

This isn’t Rivaldo against Turkey. DCC hit him, he had every right to go down and take the penalty we basically spoon fed them. They’re in the QF and we aren’t.

Spot on. Some of the comments on here are so one eyed it’s fucking embarrassing. Noddy fucking excuses. 

22 hours ago, bangkoksaint said:

I too played in a Football Aid game where he was the Captain. I remember someone saying not to kick him as he’d give it back but with interest!!

He was on my side lol, the other side had an ex Saint who never quite made the heights. Can recall who

36 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I didn’t realise them being League 2 and us being Prem was factored into whether the penalty gets given. You will never see a penalty (or free kick for that matter) get given for someone slapping someone’s back nowhere near the ball, ever again.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If you think that's a hit you've led a very sheltered life.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

He had no right to go down unless he physically couldn't stay on his feet. Stop making excuses for cheating.

• Like 1

Is there not an argument that by diving on the floor like he'd been shot, he should have been booked for simulation?

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, OldNick said:

He was on my side lol, the other side had an ex Saint who never quite made the heights. Can recall who

Was it Ian Juryeff? I played in two such games - scored in one with a header at the Northem end too!! Great feeling wasn’t it, running out at StMarys in a Saints kit!!

22 hours ago, Grimsby1984 said:

Hi people Grimsby fan in peace .

I live in Fareham so actually attend the odd Saints game ,so I was buzzing with excitement when the draw came out and with all the turmoil i was worryingly confident I thought you would roll it around a lot ,thats what bores me about the EPL games the long spells of vertical passing  otherwise i would probably go more ,I thought if we kept it quiet for 30 we would have a chance .

Enjoyed trying a couple of new pubs in town and having a few jars never realised there was a brewdog because i normally just go in spoons but it was over rammed so had a wonder ,liked shenanigans and will probably go back a friendly bunch in there and Matt Le Tiss goes in apparently .

Hopefully you turn it around or its the champ but maybe a reset is needed ,i have thought Saints have been clinging on for a while now .

I watched your lot in May. Eastleigh put 4 past you (including ex Saint Jake Hesketh).

Shows how shit Saints strikers are nowadays.

Anyway, good luck against Brighton and hope your player that went down from the viscous assault from DCC recovers soon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Spot on. Some of the comments on here are so one eyed it’s fucking embarrassing. Noddy fucking excuses. 

There is no excuse, you're quite right.  We were fucking terrible and deserved to go out, but it doesn't mean we can't question some of the ridiculous refereeing that took place and ponder whether better officiating might have given us the opportunity of losing badly against Brighton in the next round.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, saintwbu said:

I didn’t realise them being League 2 and us being Prem was factored into whether the penalty gets given. You will never see a penalty (or free kick for that matter) get given for someone slapping someone’s back nowhere near the ball, ever again.

You’ve missed the point, I said they will need every bit of luck and sh*thousery they can muster. Things like the keeper supposedly having cramp etc. we’re always going to happen. We gave them two absolute gifts.

2 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

If you think that's a hit you've led a very sheltered life.

I never said he hit him hard but he did, quite unequivocally hit him.

1 hour ago, saintant said:

He had no right to go down unless he physically couldn't stay on his feet. Stop making excuses for cheating.

90% of the penalties that have ever been given, the attacker could probably have stayed on their feet, if their child’s life depended on it. That doesn’t mean they weren’t fouled and should go down.

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Is there not an argument that by diving on the floor like he'd been shot, he should have been booked for simulation?

1 hour ago, saintant said:

Correct.

Incorrect. You’re arbitrarily deciding how hard you think footballers should be allowed to hit each other and get away with it. You’re not allowed to, that’s the rules, end of discussion. It’s like when some player goes in with a tiny nod of a head butt and their opponent collapses in a big heap; you can bleat all you like about barely touching him but the fact remains he did strike another player.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You’ve missed the point, I said they will need every bit of luck and sh*thousery they can muster. Things like the keeper supposedly having cramp etc. we’re always going to happen. We gave them two absolute gifts.

90% of the penalties that have ever been given, the attacker could probably have stayed on their feet, if their child’s life depended on it. That doesn’t mean they weren’t fouled and should go down.

Incorrect. You’re arbitrarily deciding how hard you think footballers should be allowed to hit each other and get away with it. You’re not allowed to, that’s the rules, end of discussion. It’s like when some player goes in with a tiny nod of a head butt and their opponent collapses in a big heap; you can bleat all you like about barely touching him but the fact remains he did strike another player.

I can only repeat my earlier comment. That could never be described as ‘a hit’. It was a flick with the back of his hand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

I watched your lot in May. Eastleigh put 4 past you (including ex Saint Jake Hesketh).

Shows how shit Saints strikers are nowadays.

Anyway, good luck against Brighton and hope your player that went down from the viscous assault from DCC recovers soon.

Not looking good at the moment. Thoughts and prayers.

image.png.29389e51a7251d232fabb65212816c4a.png

• Haha 8

19 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Lighthouse and MLG... Never before seen in the same room together... 

;)

• Haha 1

Is football now a non contact sport?  Perhaps they should run around with little tags on their shorts and give the ball over if they have one taken off.

The Nods moaning on here would be the first to moan Sat if Vardy gives JWP a dig but the ref decides he’s made a meal of it. They’d be crying it’s a red no matter how hard the punch. To have consistency you have to have black and white guidelines. Gone are the days when sides accepted different refs had different tolerance levels or different views on transgressions. The refs could decide the level of punishment based on the severity but fans & football would whinge that X was sent off and Y wasn’t. The rules are heading one way, handball will be next as they’ve pretty much taken intent out of it now anyway. The drive for consistency is to blame and that is driven by supporters, players and managers, not referees. 

37 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The Nods moaning on here would be the first to moan Sat if Vardy gives JWP a dig but the ref decides he’s made a meal of it. They’d be crying it’s a red no matter how hard the punch. To have consistency you have to have black and white guidelines. Gone are the days when sides accepted different refs had different tolerance levels or different views on transgressions. The refs could decide the level of punishment based on the severity but fans & football would whinge that X was sent off and Y wasn’t. The rules are heading one way, handball will be next as they’ve pretty much taken intent out of it now anyway. The drive for consistency is to blame and that is driven by supporters, players and managers, not referees. 

Personally i think it’d have been more acceptable for him to have sent DCC off (still incorrect, when you see what Ziyech got away with at the weekend) than it was to give a penalty. A red card would’ve been soft as shit but kind of logical, the penalty was completely ridiculous. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Maybe you're one of the nods on here - you seem to be arguing that consistency of refereeing decisions is a bad thing. If Vardy pats JWP on the back with the same force as DCC used I'll have no issues with that. 

4 hours ago, saintant said:

This, totally. I hate the phrase "he had a right to go down". No player has the right to go down. You either get knocked down or you're cheating - simulation that should be penalised with a yellow card every time.

• Like 2

I remember watching Bristol Rovers v Grimsby at Wembley for Rovers to get back to the football league. (Both my boys are Gas heads). 

I know it’s one game in a disastrous season.

But to lose against a team who is set up for non league, div two just a few years ago, and still are now tbf. Should be a wake up call. 

Needs some really challenging questions around how long can the leadership team of the club continue on this Kamikaze vision imo.

At some point this has to be picked up by someone, or one of our official Supporters groups, or Community Trusts. 

• Like 1