Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Reality of relegation hitting home when we are losing out on players to Sheffield United, who are reportedly in financial ruin. They are likely to go down this season but still are a PL shop window.

Both McAtee and Archer were seemingly top targets for us. Another case of setting our targets too high perhaps?

The club got caught last summer smugly sure of getting deals over the line, and their approach, only for it to end in disaster when the players wanted better moves.

Hopefully they would have learned from that.

Whatever their sights were set on in January, clearly had malfunctions. That was a disaster, that made no difference to us staying up, has burdened us with players and has resulted in us selling to get some of the money back.

Lessons are don't let anyone involved in January near a decision now. Also, you can set your sights high. But if you do, you have to get it over the line in case you need plan B or C, if it goes wrong.

• Like 1

Quite intrigued by the Fraser loan because as far as I recall he joined Newcastle when out of contract. Ie on a free. So I’d guess he might be on a high weekly wage at NUFC - lol certainly compared to Saints squad atm. 
 Indeed would not surprise me if he’s on the highest wage this season already. 
Interesting wage differentials issues coming into play with these loaners…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Quite intrigued by the Fraser loan because as far as I recall he joined Newcastle when out of contract. Ie on a free. So I’d guess he might be on a high weekly wage at NUFC - lol certainly compared to Saints squad atm. 

Eddie Howe is probably subsidising his wages personally just to get rid of him - once you fall out with him, you are dead.

Edited by markr27
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Depends on the percentage of the wages we agreed to pay. Doubt we are paying all of it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Now, the guy's just in the door. So, bearing that in mind it could make a difference if we wanted to make it permanent. One of SR's goals was to reduce that wage bill, to optimise profit and allow more room to get players in (job done in 40% reduction through relegation, SR 🙂). Fraser's wages would be a real stumbling block to that.

16 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Fraser joined Newcastle pre Saudi takeover though so I don't think it would be that high.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Good thing is, that means he is here to play.

Could have easily sat on the bench collecting his wages. But instead he has chosen to come here and challenge himself. Can only respect that. And if he keeps putting in performances like Saturday’s, he will become an instant favourite here. He was class 

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Osvaldorama said:

Good thing is, that means he is here to play.

Could have easily sat on the bench collecting his wages. But instead he has chosen to come here and challenge himself. Can only respect that. And if he keeps putting in performances like Saturday’s, he will become an instant favourite here. He was class 

I recall the same being said for AMN who was, by some stretch, one of the laziest 'footballers' I've ever seen. Hopefully Fraser continues as he's started....

42 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

Not surprised that money is an issue when looking at all the deadwood in the squad.

Lyanco going will help but Tall Paul,Perraud, ABK, Moussa and Sully all need to be sorted as well.

Also think people sometimes forget that transfers are paid in installments, so we will still have significant outbound payments for players we have already sold and the ones that will inevitably be loaned out like Onuachu, plus the likes of Aribo, Alcaraz, Sulemana etc.

Whatever happens with Onuachu we will still be paying out more for him this season than whatever we get back in return. 

Edited by Dusic

2 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Also think people sometimes forget that transfers are paid in installments, so we will still have significant outbound payments for players we have already sold and the ones that will inevitably be loaned out like Onuachu, plus the likes of Aribo, Alcaraz, Sulemana etc.

Whatever happens with Onuachu we will still be paying out more for him this season than whatever we get back in return. 

and outgoing players will also be paid for in installments, we wont be signing a player for £10m and writing a cheque out for that tomorrow. We may have lost money on Onuachu but Liveramento, Tella, Ward-Prowse and Lavia cost us a combined £15m, we sold them for almost ten times that. 

• Like 3

It’s funny how people think we’ve brought £150m in, so they want us to spend exactly the same.

It isn’t compulsory for us to piss away all that money, we’ve done that too many times.

We've made some good signings for this level that are more than capable of pushing us for promotion (eg, Ryan Fraser) rather that than fritter away £30m on a random winger at some over-inflated price.

• Like 2

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

It’s funny how people think we’ve brought £150m in, so they want us to spend exactly the same.

It isn’t compulsory for us to piss away all that money, we’ve done that too many times.

We've made some good signings for this level that are more than capable of pushing us for promotion (eg, Ryan Fraser) rather that than fritter away £30m on a random winger at some over-inflated price.

Bizarre that people STILL think that's how transfers work. Not even FM works like that anymore!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

This was said exactly at the Fans Forum too, and yet people just don't listen.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Still not sure I've seen anyone say this? There will always be a couple of idiots but the majority I've seen totally understand we cannot spend £150m but expect a bit more than £12m. 

• Like 3

I was initially dubious about Ryan Fraser ( especially “ he’s not here to replace Nathan” 😉) but I can already sense he will be a good model for SAA and Ed. They did not have that before. They do now. 

In the short time Ryan was on he always looked dangerous.  I particularly liked his link up play with AA - we did not see too much of that from either of the younger players - and the fact that his football intelligence seems high. Knowing to run on from that direct free kick for example  showed he is alert to score- pity he didn’t but fair do’s the keeper for an excellent stop. 

• Like 3

Will Smallbone's signing of a three year contract is excellent news. I think he will be crucial for us this season, and very much admire his tidying up style. Will form a useful partnership with Downes, too, you'd hope. Well done Saints.

Now tie up that CB and get in someone who can score goals. You need to make up for the Piroe sluggishness, aiding a direct rival.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

and outgoing players will also be paid for in installments, we wont be signing a player for £10m and writing a cheque out for that tomorrow. We may have lost money on Onuachu but Liveramento, Tella, Ward-Prowse and Lavia cost us a combined £15m, we sold them for almost ten times that. 

Of course it works both way but we have lost money on so many players in the last couple of years that its bound to have a significant impact.

Aside from Onuachu we have made a recent loss on Orsic, DCC, Diallo, Elyounoussi, Perraud, Lyanco and thats before potential exits for Aribo, Mara etc to whom the same would apply.

Clearly we aren't in huge financial trouble because we wouldnt have agreed a big fee for Shea Charles if we were but noticeable that this summers recruitment has been based around British players (tend to have an easier market to move them on) who either Wilcox or Martin can vouch for - quite sensible IMO.

Going up and staying up need totally different levels of quality so no issue with using loans very cleverly with no long term obligation.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

Of course it works both way but we have lost money on so many players in the last couple of years that its bound to have a significant impact.

Aside from Onuachu we have made a recent loss on Orsic, DCC, Diallo, Elyounoussi, Perraud, Lyanco and thats before potential exits for Aribo, Mara etc to whom the same would apply.

Clearly we aren't in huge financial trouble because we wouldnt have agreed a big fee for Shea Charles if we were but noticeable that this summers recruitment has been based around British players (tend to have an easier market to move them on) who either Wilcox or Martin can vouch for - quite sensible IMO.

We also made profits on Livramento and Lavia that compensate all these losses.

As said before, I would expect the money issue to be around FFP - we spent so much last year and now with a huge drop of revenue, which reduces our ability to stay within the FFP regs, we cannot and will not be able to spend much money over the next 3 years or so. That spending last year has hamstrung us hugely. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Still not sure I've seen anyone say this? There will always be a couple of idiots but the majority I've seen totally understand we cannot spend £150m but expect a bit more than £12m

I agree that the majority of fans are savvy enough not to expect big cash outlays, but, what does it matter how much we spend? What's better, for example, a CF from Belgium for £15m who may or may not adapt to English football, or a player on loan from an English club who will already have adapted? The latter is plainly the better option, but won't appease those obsessed with seeing money being spent. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

We also made profits on Livramento and Lavia that compensate all these losses.

Exactly we’ve just made £130m from 4 sales of players who we bought for £15m. Insane profit. 

plus we sold Salisu for more than we paid for him.

The nonsense that we can’t buy anyone because we’ve got a handful of players we’ve lost money on is laughable. Saints fans must have PTSD from the Goa sell to buy era

DCC deal is meant to be loan to buy anyway for what we paid for him, Elyanoussi is 60k a week of the wage bill same with Walcott, good news. if Sully goes it looks like it’ll be at least for what we paid, same with Adams. 

Orsic was a small fee. Useless Paul is the only one we’re really losing big on. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Exactly we’ve just made £130m from 4 sales of players who we bought for £15m. Insane profit. 

The nonsense that we can’t buy anyone because we’ve got a handful of players we’ve lost money on is laughable. Saints fans must have PTSD from the Goa sell to buy era

Why do we need to buy?

Who can we realistic attract who'll be good enough to get us up AND good enough for the PL? I don't want us to be stuck with players on long deals who are not good enough when we're back to the promised land. We'd be back to square one. 

• Like 1

The difference this summer which has been said and known throughout and yet seems to be ignored is the the size of the squad.

It's been reduced quite abit considering 6 players in, But let's just ignore that too.

Wilcox is doing a fine job.

• Like 5

Just now, egg said:

Why do we need to buy?

Who can we realistic attract who'll be good enough to get us up AND good enough for the PL? I don't want us to be stuck with players on long deals who are not good enough when we're back to the promised land. We'd be back to square one. 

Me neither, just pointing out this nonsense that we are hamstrung by a couple of crap signings. We’ve made huge amounts on players that cost us tiny amounts as well. 

1 minute ago, egg said:

Why do we need to buy?

Players like Wood and Charles who both have alot of potential to grow will both be considered excellent buys in a couple of years when they move on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

The difference this summer which has been said and known throughout and yet seems to be ignored is the the size of the squad.

It's been reduced quite abit considering 6 players in, But let's just ignore that too.

Wilcox is doing a fine job.

I completely agree, I’ll also agree Wilcox is doing a fine job when he gets rid of the likes of Djenepo, Lyanco and TP. It’s easy to sell players that are in demand which top clubs want to buy. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

I completely agree, I’ll also agree Wilcox is doing a fine job when he gets rid of the likes of Djenepo, Lyanco and TP. It’s easy to sell players that are in demand which top clubs want to buy. 

If Wilcox actually gets these players sold then I'll be stunned, Nothing players for us and actually have takers is ridiculous considering their ability and current wages.

Just now, Turkish said:

Me neither, just pointing out this nonsense that we are hamstrung by a couple of crap signings. We’ve made huge amounts on players that cost us tiny amounts as well. 

There's different perspectives on this. Either we're using receipts to cover the cost of relegation and last season's outlay, or we've made a profit. I'm in little doubt that it's the former and that we haven't got cash to splash. Even if we had the money though, give me Fraser on loan over that winger from Gent for €10m, ditto Holgate over some unknown from Belgium or Scotland. If those 2 work out, there's probay a deal to be done after this season. 

4 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Players like Wood and Charles who both have alot of potential to grow will both be considered excellent buys in a couple of years when they move on.

I don't doubt that. I like the strategy of ready to hit the ground running buys and loans, alongside potential but with the ability to play now. We've done brilliantly with our signings this window. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Blimey Del, there's a limit to the mans talents! 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, egg said:

I don't doubt that. I like the strategy of ready to hit the ground running buys and loans, alongside potential but with the ability to play now. We've done brilliantly with our signings this window. 

Yeah I agree, So far every signing thus far had been a incredible hit.

Hopefully Holgate comes in and forms a excellent partnership with Bednarek.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, egg said:

Brilliantly is very premature. The same was said last year and look how that turned out. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Turkish said:

DCC deal is meant to be loan to buy anyway for what we paid for him, Elyanoussi is 60k a week of the wage bill same with Walcott, good news. if Sully goes it looks like it’ll be at least for what we paid, same with Adams. 

Orsic was a small fee. Useless Paul is the only one we’re really losing big on. 

We can spend money if we want to, but the reality is from one reason or another we probably don’t want to, and its about flexibility around the FFP regs

Im sure, if there was a target that suited us we’d go for it, but you need to be a bit careful as we’ve seen from Armstrong and Che (and probably Piroe) that the step up is big.. we need to sign a striker that can fire us into the Prem.. but when we get there we’ll likely need to replace them

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

As said before, I would expect the money issue to be around FFP - we spent so much last year and now with a huge drop of revenue, which reduces our ability to stay within the FFP regs, we cannot and will not be able to spend much money over the next 3 years or so. That spending last year has hamstrung us hugely. 

FFP doesn't seem to stop other clubs spending absolute fortunes every window. Not sure we've spent sufficient previously for it to impact much on us. Could be that I just don't understand the FFP rules or even think anyone particularly bothers to adhere to them.

Just now, saintant said:

FFP doesn't seem to stop other clubs spending absolute fortunes every window. Not sure we've spent sufficient previously for it to impact much on us. Could be that I just don't understand the FFP rules or even think anyone particularly bothers to adhere to them.

Ahh yes it does in the Champ, because they take it seriously, look at QPR and Blackburn, they spent splenty trying and failing to escape the Champ and now they’re knackered

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Brilliantly is very premature. The same was said last year and look how that turned out. 

I suppose it might be if you're a pessimist. Personally, I like what I've seen so far of Manning, Charles, Fraser and Downes and can only imagine they'll etc better. Holgate will be decent too imo. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Ahh yes it does in the Champ, because they take it seriously, look at QPR and Blackburn, they spent splenty trying and failing to escape the Champ and now they’re knackered

Can I ask then why only clubs in the Championship take it seriously? That seems a weird conception to me. Surely either every club has to stick by FFP rules or we agree it's a free for all for everyone.

I think the squad as it stands is pretty strong and gives us a reasonable stab at getting promotion although it will be a relentless slog where we need to make sure we drop very few points. What does worry me is if Che is sold and we don't buy/loan an adequate replacement. Who leads the line out of our current strikers if Che leaves? In fact, even if he stays, I'd say we still need another decent striker as an option because there'll be injuries, suspensions and loss of form to factor in. Still, at least we can enjoy again the feeling we get from winning games and going into them with confidence we'll get something rather than the past few depressing seasons.

7 minutes ago, saintant said:

Can I ask then why only clubs in the Championship take it seriously? That seems a weird conception to me. Surely either every club has to stick by FFP rules or we agree it's a free for all for everyone.

Because the Championship has more stringent rules - it's points deductions rather than fines, which is far more serious for those that break it. 

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

Because the Championship has more stringent rules - it's points deductions rather than fines, which is far more serious for those that break it. 

I assume the premier league wouldn’t want to damage its brand by deducting points off the big clubs, plus there is always the risk that if they upset them they’ll clear off to a European league so the tail wags the dog in that case. 

1 hour ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Literally no one has said that

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, egg said:

I suppose it might be if you're a pessimist. Personally, I like what I've seen so far of Manning, Charles, Fraser and Downes and can only imagine they'll etc better. Holgate will be decent too imo. 

I think where Hypo is coming from is the critical positions, like CF last year. That still needs to happen if Adams is off. Need that goals scorer to help push for promotion. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Literally no one has said that

I didn’t actually say this was the case on here. On social media there’s a few comments about the clubs lack of reinvestment, it’s just quite humorous to read.

Almost like they’ve looked at the transfer funds rather than the league table.
The same kind of people that want us to be another six or seven players. 😂

It is an odd few, didn’t say it was aimed at anyone on here, apologies it wasn’t more clarified 😊