Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Experienced, of being crap and surplus to requirements at a poor Everton, but having had a good spell for WBA 4 years ago ? 

Remains to be seen. You might be right but I’ve not read anything apart from his age to see him in the role. 

He wasn't poor at West brom. You can go and look on their forum and it was universally positive feedback at the time. They would have liked to have signed him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, markr27 said:

Maybe a straight £12m bid for Nathan Wood will be incoming to Swansea, given Stephens' injury, and the perception at Swansea that Saints are even more flushed with cash after Tella's sale.

The deal will be done. They won't let a £10m asset walk on a free. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Give it to Ron said:

Linked with Bojan Miovski £4m forward Aberdeen obviously a Mowbray link

YouTube link he looked useful ( subject to the usual Steve De Ridder clause of course).

Scored a couple of decent headers as well. An area we’ve been weak in for some time. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Even if we lose Che, Sully and ABK we still look like a top 4 squad tbh

People are blowing this way out of proportion, look at the state of most of the squads down here, they’re pretty poor

Not if we don't get replacements especially in Che's case. QPR ran us close yesterday and could easily have taken the points. We need strengthening this week or I think we'll see a dip in results especially with a tough set of fixtures coming up.

• Like 2

Just now, saintant said:

Not if we don't get replacements especially in Che's case. QPR ran us close yesterday and could easily have taken the points. We need strengthening this week or I think we'll see a dip in results especially with a tough set of fixtures coming up.

But we will strengthen, the clubs already said it.. in any case my point still stands, we have more than enough currently to finish top 4, we won’t be as bad as we were yesterday very often

• Like 1

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

But we will strengthen, the clubs already said it.. in any case my point still stands, we have more than enough currently to finish top 4, we won’t be as bad as we were yesterday very often

I like the look of their big lad up front yesterday. Not sure he will be prolific at QPR, but has something about him that may see him go on to bigger/better things.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Surely absolutely no need to sell anyone else now?! Banked £140M; Swansea clearly want more for Wood just get him in. And then mail Adams to whichever pillar or post is at Staplewood

Then we will have a spine more or less

We apparently didn’t need to sell anyone……

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Nolan said:

In the press conference of Friday, Martin said Holgate was being brought in to play right back.

For the benefit of others I have to point out that this is incorrect.

RM said he has played lots of positions but will primarily play as a CB for us.

Echoed by Holgate in his interview.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He wasn't poor at West brom. 

I'll have to have another word with my Everton supporting brother as that isn't his recollection. I think he said he was still very error prone when at WBA (gave away lots of free kicks etc) but he endeared himself with the fans because of the effort and commitment he put in (I seem to recall Lynaco had a similar impact on many Saints fans when he first joined...). But, I agree, most of the views on WBA forums at the time were more positive than negative. Maybe they set their bar of expectation lower than fans on here typically would? Time will tell and I'm certainly prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by trousers

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I like the look of their big lad up front yesterday. Not sure he will be prolific at QPR, but has something about him that may see him go on to bigger/better things.

I felt for him lump and chase he had absolutely no service and we had 2 players clattering him all time. 
Not seen much of him or know what his finishing is like but alongside Arma and Charly think would be useful 

11 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

He wasn't poor at West brom. You can go and look on their forum and it was universally positive feedback at the time. They would have liked to have signed him. 

We’ve had this exchange before, Hypo.

You previously posted a link to their forum. I pointed out it was from 2019. Personal choice as to whether that’s recent enough to sway opinion. 

Fair enough that shows he had some potential and performed well at an earlier stage of his career. Hope that after we give him the platform he takes the chance to fulfill that, four years on. 

Edited by Badger

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

We’ve had this exchange before, Hypo.

You previously posted a link to their forum. I pointed out it was from 2019. Personal choice as to whether that’s recent enough to sway opinion. 

Fair enough that shows he had some potential and performed well at an earlier stage of his career. Hope that after we give him the platform he takes the chance to fulfill that, four years on. 

What does it being 2019 have to do with anything? You said he was poor at West brom. He only played for West brom in 2019 so it couldn't have been any other year. 

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

A couple of points here.

Firstly, the whole point of a “secret society” is that it is supposed to be “secret”. Once everybody has been told that it exists it is no longer “secret”. The members of the CoT could have kept quite and carried on sharing information amongst themselves with the the rest of us none the wiser. Instead we have this childish “we know something you don’t know” thing going on. I assume we are all adults here? Maybe some posters should start behaving that way?

Secondly, if someone has given a poster some information that isn’t meant for general distribution, then why say anything at all? Again these silly pictures and cryptic clues are so childish. If you can’t tell us all who it is, don’t say anything. If it isn’t a big deal then tell us directly and don’t play these pathetic games.

There wouldn’t be any personal attacks if some posters didn’t behave as if they were still in short trousers.

Now let’s get back to some serious bed wetting…

maybe information was shared but you didn’t see it because you have some of the members on ignore. So you should be none the wiser. Which is an interesting point as How did you see the clues and pictures?

this is now what the 4th rant about the CoT, someone seems jealous 🤣

You have a lifetime no entry stamp on you anyway. You will never be part of the CoT. Always on the outside looking in at the cool gang

7EBEB3E5-65B0-4C09-902B-5DB75366D189.thumb.jpeg.8391941e3c94af3588cf03e94363bb26.jpeg

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Surely absolutely no need to sell anyone else now?! Banked £140M; Swansea clearly want more for Wood just get him in. And then mail Adams to whichever pillar or post is at Staplewood

Put the money thing to one side for a second. If a Prem side comes in for a player, you do have to take into account the feelings of the player. If they really want that move, you can hold them to their contract, but do you really want to? It's not quite as simple as saying no. If the eventual offer is sizeable for KWP, then he'll depart. It may not be big enough though 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

What does it being 2019 have to do with anything? You said he was poor at West brom. He only played for West brom in 2019 so it couldn't have been any other year. 

I didn’t say he was poor at West Brom: 

but having had a good spell for WBA 4 years ago ? 

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Put the money thing to one side for a second. If a Prem side comes in for a player, you do have to take into account the feelings of the player. If they really want that move, you can hold them to their contract, but do you really want to? It's not quite as simple as saying no. If the eventual offer is sizeable for KWP, then he'll depart. It may not be big enough though 

Fair enough but it’s what we do with the proceeds. At the moment there doesn’t seem a great deal of ambition

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Holgate is limited. He only got the minutes he did last season and the season before because of lengthy injuries to Yerry Mina. He has been a major part of Everton's defensive woes in recent times, and is just as error-prone as all our other CB options. Having watched a lot of Everton for the last 2-3 seasons, I've seen him make some absolute howlers at times. The only saving grace is that those errors are less likely to be punished at this level than they are in the PL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Galway saint said:

Fair enough but it’s what we do with the proceeds. At the moment there doesn’t seem a great deal of ambition

What do we need that we haven't got? A Che replacement, yep. Another CB. Arguably another winger, although I'm happy with what we have. Where else are we short? What's this lack of ambition you speak of? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

The deal will be done. They won't let a £10m asset walk on a free. 

Although his contract expires next summer, Swansea have just said there's an option for a further 12 months. That changes everything to be honest - I'm not sure we can get this deal done now. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66580284#:~:text=The England Under-21 defender,for a further 12 months.

25 minutes ago, fanimal said:

Yeah but we’ll only get the £140M over the course of instalments. We’re the only club who receive fees in instalments but buy players outright don’t you know…

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, LGTL said:

Yeah but we’ll only get the £140M over the course of instalments. We’re the only club who receive fees in instalments but buy players outright don’t you know…

Are we also still the only club to pay agents fees?

Stop facking around...

Decent bid in for Bellis for centre back. 

Ings or Broja on loan to replace Adams....

And the best Man City prospect for wing or Mcatee or whatever he is called 🤣

Championship completed it mate 👍 

3 decent players in job done boys  

It's not like we don't have the cash is it..... 

Edited by ally_uk
Spell
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Re Holgate: is it not possible that he's going to be more than good enough for this level but not the kind of player we'd want to build a team around in the PL? If so, doesn't it make him a pretty tidy loan signing for where we are right now?

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Not seen enough of him yet but early signs are good, he’s big and quick and technically proficient 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, egg said:

What do we need that we haven't got? A Che replacement, yep. Another CB. Arguably another winger, although I'm happy with what we have. Where else are we short? What's this lack of ambition you speak of? 

Striker or two, CB, RB assuming KWP leaves, decent back up keeper, CB. 

flip it round - which of the signings screams ambition bearing on mind the funds realised.

there doesn’t appear much desire to invest a significant chunk of that 

I really don’t understand why everyone has a hard on for us spending money ?

We overspent in January, and they’ve been universally bashed in that sense since January

So far we’ve signed a guy thats put in a MOTM performance and 2 almost MOTM performances.. last years assist leading LB and 3 x prem quality additions

I couldn’t give a fuck how much we spend as long as the players coming in are good enough, which it looks like they are

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We overspent in January, and they’ve been universally bashed in that sense since January

So far we’ve signed a guy thats put in a MOTM performance and 2 almost MOTM performances.. last years assist leading LB and 3 x prem quality additions

I couldn’t give a fuck how much we spend as long as the players coming in are good enough, which it looks like they are

Because spending money assures us promotion....apparently....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

Stop facking around...

Decent bid in for Bellis for centre back. 

Ings or Broja on loan to replace Adams....

And the best Man City prospect for wing or Mcatee or whatever he is called 🤣

Championship completed it mate 👍 

3 decent players in job done boys  

It's not like we don't have the cash is it..... 

Stop playing Football Manager

• Haha 4

17 minutes ago, egg said:

I think we need to get a right winger in - Sam AA isn't ready to be a starter but will be good cover and impact sub.  S Armstrong would be good to be fair but neither he nor Martin really want to play him there.  Martin has said we'll replace Tella anyway.  Other than that, agree.

5 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

We overspent in January without doubt, on mostly utter shit. We’ve more then clawed that back though. I think SR are actually in profit on fees in/out over their time here now. 

Fraser could turn out to be a really good signing and he was a loan, so no problem with that. But if Adams goes, we need to spend on a striker as I think our promotion hopes will depend on that. Just IMO of course.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Holgate is limited. He only got the minutes he did last season and the season before because of lengthy injuries to Yerry Mina. He has been a major part of Everton's defensive woes in recent times, and is just as error-prone as all our other CB options. Having watched a lot of Everton for the last 2-3 seasons, I've seen him make some absolute howlers at times. The only saving grace is that those errors are less likely to be punished at this level than they are in the PL. 

in other words we’ve got the ideal replacement for Stephens if he’s out a long time cos this could easily describe him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LGTL said:

We overspent in January without doubt, on mostly utter shit. We’ve more then clawed that back though. I think SR are actually in profit on fees in/out over their time here now. 

Fraser could turn out to be a really good signing and he was a loan, so no problem with that. But if Adams goes, we need to spend on a striker as I think our promotion hopes will depend on that. Just IMO of course.

We’ve been conditioned since the Kat Liebherr and Goa era that we can only spend what we bring in, we were the only premier league club to do that that spent an extended time there. Despite having hundreds of millions come in from TV money and transfer fees we were so badly run that we had to survive by what we made from sales

1 hour ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Interesting to hear Martin say that if Adams leaves we will replace him. Fair enough.

What if he leaves next Friday afternoon, after a very late bid from whoever...........that makes it very difficult to replace our main striker.  

I would imagine part of the conversation with Che will be around him making his mind up by X (let’s assume Monday) time hence him training in the “other” training group as his head wasn’t right (or put another way to make his mind up). If he’s going we need to know one way or the other as we will need to get the wheels in motion to bring in either the lad from Aberdeen or the one from Sunderland.

29 minutes ago, Nolan said:

there is the small matter of the MSD UK Holdings borrowing that was taken out a couple of years ago. (Pre Sport Republic)

It would be a risk not to pay that off.

Not repayable until 2025. I can imagine any plans for early repayment, or how to finance the repayment when it becomes due in just under 2 years, would wait until we see if we are promoted at the end of this season.

5 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

I would imagine part of the conversation with Che will be around him making his mind up by X (let’s assume Monday) time hence him training in the “other” training group as his head wasn’t right (or put another way to make his mind up). If he’s going we need to know one way or the other as we will need to get the wheels in motion to bring in either the lad from Aberdeen or the one from Sunderland.

Wouldn't want to take a chance on Stewart from Sunderland as he's still recovering from an achilles injury. With our tough fixtures coming up we need someone to come straight in not a player who needs time to get fully fit. He looks a decent striker though but too big a risk for me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

Wouldn't want to take a chance on Stewart from Sunderland as he's still recovering from an achilles injury. With our tough fixtures coming up we need someone to come straight in not a player who needs time to get fully fit. He looks a decent striker though but too big a risk for me.

Ok

2 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Can you post the analysis that supports this please.

Whilst it may (or may not) be different in the Championship, in the PL Kevin Pullein (the footie punter invariably described as a BOFFIN in the RP) has regularly over the years transposed the table over a table of wage bills and the two correspond to a truly astonishing degree.

• Like 5