Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

34 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Ah yes he returned with ITK gold.

So hang on, there are some actual ITKs on this site, outside of the COT? 

I think the COT would do well to get Guan into the Circle - we need to be 100% sure who we can trust as there are many false prophets creating a lot of noise. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I keep reading this thread and am mystified how little patience people have for young players nowadays.

People writing off 19/20 yr olds who have been dropped into a shit show last year and are learning both the game and this new system this season but laud Tella who only had a good season when he was 22/23 yrs old.

Fuck me remember the finished article bergkamp signed from inter didn't score a goal for arsenal until his Nov hatrick v us.

Calm Down Season 5 GIF by Outlander

The funniest thing is those same people who are bemoaning Tella leaving at 24, probably wrote him off at 19 or 20.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Master Bates said:

Lyanco signs for Al Gharafa.

Bids made for Ross Stewart and Bojan Miovski as we search for a replacement for Che Adams who leaves for either Palace or Bournemouth. 

I'm in the square of trust.

SOT! SOT! SOT!

Have Bournemouth got a bid in ? Thought it was just Palace ?

19 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

Lyanco signs for Al Gharafa.

Bids made for Ross Stewart and Bojan Miovski as we search for a replacement for Che Adams who leaves for either Palace or Bournemouth. 

I'm in the square of trust.

SOT! SOT! SOT!

im in the COYRS(come on you really shouldnt)

7 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I just don't get this love for Ings - he's injury prone and hasn't really been prolific since he left us. Surely we can be a little more imaginative....

Agreed, plus he plays far better with a striker with him, like Long or Adams did 

7 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I just don't get this love for Ings - he's injury prone and hasn't really been prolific since he left us. Surely we can be a little more imaginative....

To be fair since he left I’ve only seen goals scored by JWP at free kicks. There might have been, like, 3 by Broja in his “purple patch” (another often suggested here despite a) being months away from returning and b) being on zillions a week for 5 years).

I can forgive my fellow fans’ lack of creative thinking about goal scorers having spent 3 years in a goal-scoring vacuum with them.

13 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

I'd rather have him than the Sunderland bloke who sounds even more injury prone. I don't think we will get either though. 

1 hour ago, Farmer Saint said:

The funniest thing is those same people who are bemoaning Tella leaving at 24, probably wrote him off at 19 or 20.

Both are absolutely right.

Players develop at different times. Our academy used to be the benchmark. Not so sure these days unfortunately.

16 minutes ago, miserableoldgit said:

Wanted by Everton supposedly...

I thought they were getting Beto. Though I'm not sure how, they're supposed to be skint.

"We bid these five magic beans for Beto. Of course if you agree to this deal, you understand you only get one bean per year over five years. So you won't know we've screwed you over until the year 2028 when you plant them and fuck all happens."

If Adams leaves... 

I'd like to see a Striker with a big of height, strength and presence up top.

I liked the look at that Armstrong lad at QPR  Okay not the tallest but strength and tenacity looked good. 

or someone in the mould of a Pelle / Lambert type 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, ally_uk said:

If Adams leaves... 

I'd like to see a Striker with a big of height, strength and presence up top.

I liked the look at that Armstrong lad at QPR  Okay not the tallest but strength and tenacity looked good. 

or someone in the mould of a Pelle / Lambert type 

Three Armstrongs isn't allowed though - particularly when two of them are S.Armstrongs

Sorry to lump these all together. This will be long, but I'm just going to type out my thoughts on these points and not bother going through the effort of trimming it down:

6 hours ago, egg said:

I agree about us bringing in players suited to us getting promoted, and not signing players who we'd be stuck with in the PL who aren't good enough for that level once we're up.

However, I don't think we're banking cash. We spent an obscene amount last year on players and won't get much of a return on some. We have also lost a huge amount of income following relegation.

Long story short, I agree with you in the main, but I think that we're recouping losses rather than saving for the PL. In fact, I think we're spending pretty much all we can, but spending it wisely and using the loan system sensibly. 

The club will have expected approximately half the transfers to not work, because that is the hit-rate for Premier League transfers (explained well by the ex-Liverpool Director of Research here).

Regardless, I think in that portfolio of 13 players we bought last year that we will end up making a large profit. I think people forget just how cheap most of those signings were. The profit we have made from Lavia (after factoring in the sell-on clause) is approximately £34m. DCC and Orsic have already been unloaded for a loss of approximately £5m. With Sulemana, ABK and Alcaraz also getting interest for large profits and most others expected to be large contributors this season, I think those 13 (as a collective) will bring the club good money and service on the pitch.

On the second part, there will not be that much losses this season. We will be looking very healthy for the financial year and FFP. Relegation (with the parachute payment) is essentially a £50m loss to TV revenue, plus a bit of sponsorship. We had the 40% wage reduction and have lost some high earners, so we have probably halved our £60m wage budget. Remember, we basically ran at breakeven under Gao, so we have plenty of room to make losses.

Leicester have far higher costs than us and haven't needed to make the same amount of sales. Leeds have spent far more than us over the last three years and are accepting losing half of their squad for nothing. I don't believe we need to make back the money spent last summer, we have plenty of room to make losses (which is why they were happy to spend it).

6 hours ago, Pilchards said:

Well written piece and I totally agree.

My only concern is when reaching the premiership I don’t want to rebuild the team again. 
When we got promoted last time we had a settled squad of players who knew each others game really well. I think we finished 10th that season with some fine team performances.

FFP has changed this. We were able to build a great squad in League One because we were paying huge wages to attract the players. The gap between the Premier League and Championship is exponentially larger now. We will want players that are at that level. They can gain cohesion in the first few months of the campaign (but generally speaking, good players don't need a huge amount of time). I'd rather not spend almost £20m on Coady and Winks, for example, when we can get similar players on loan.

5 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

It is not at all easy to build a mid table premier league squad. Look at the amount of money and players Forest had to spend/accumulate just to scrape survival.

I'd personally prefer not to be sell all our premier league capable players such as KWP.

History has shown not getting promoted again immediately is a very risky strategy, hence why it is very understandable why Leicester are committing to immediate promotion. I fully get not spending 100M but I certainly don't want saints hedging too much for getting promoted in 3 years time when we should be committing to an immediate return whilst we've got a massive finciancial advantage over the rest of the championship.

Kind of proving my point as they had a squad full of Championship players, invested massively and still almost went down. You want players of a higher quality if possible.

I agree, I'd rather we kept our players. The more good Premier League quality players you keep, the better your chances of going straight back up. It seems that the club don't want to stand in the way of players getting good moves though. Out of the players I would have wanted to keep, only Salisu isn't going to a club playing in the Champions League or Europa League - but Monaco aren't exactly a small team.

It's a risky strategy due to the finances. We have a young team, and a huge amount of cash in the bank. If necessary we could make up those finances and fund another push next year (when the Championship will be much easier to win). It is absolutely better to win now, and the team is clearly one that should compete to win the league, but we haven't put all our eggs in one basket. If Leicester don't go up this year, it could be a very long time until they do.

5 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

We'll see what commitment we've shown in a week's time. i was responding to 'Luke Sky-walker peters' belief that we were setting up to be in 'strong position for promotion in 3 years time', which i think is not fully committing to promotion now. Leicester have won all their games, kept a number of premier league calibre players(i don't think that'll change at this point but i could be wrong), which i think Luke Sky-walkers peters described as being 'all in'

I did not say that, I said for the next 3 years - that is including this season. The club clearly are fully committed to getting promoted now and certainly have far more players that they could sell (and have tried to hold onto others that have left). My point was that if we don't get promoted this year, in the strongest Championship there has possibly ever been, then we are in a very good position to go again next year (when it will be one of the weakest we have ever seen). Leeds, and Leicester especially, are not currently in a position to sustain multiple attempts if necessary.

What I meant by Leicester being all-in is that they have gambled on this one year. They have enormous wages (no wage reduction) and costs from their facilities. If they don't go up this year, they could go into administration. They have also spent a lot of money on buying players that have proven not to be good enough for the Premier League (Winks, Coady). They are in serious trouble if they don't go up this year.

Don't let Leicester's wins fool you, they have been incredibly lucky to win any of their games (should have been 4-0 down to Coventry by halftime). I'm not convinced they are going to walk the league.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, LeG said:

Wouldn't be suprised if Oscar Bobb is on our radar to replace Tella. V highly rated, known to Wilcox, making the City bench but not getting any game time. One to watch i think.

If not him I think we’ll use that connection to get someone in before deadline day. Just not sure who…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Slightly Disappointed it is just that. Hopefully he can do well and they’ll feel inclined to pay up but it rarely seems to happen. Is larios actually fit?

Larios is a weird one. Club been very quiet on him. He took part in most of the open training session at St Mary's but I don't think he's played in the recent behind doors friendlies. He's way too short to be a championship fullback. 

18 minutes ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Ah I thought this might happen as he's probably too good to sit on the bench this season in the Championship. Meghoma seems to be highly rated (played in the cup game and pre-season) so I assume he'll be the back up until Larios is back?

Of course we still have KWP that can play on the left... 😁🫣🙏

• Like 1