Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

I've said all summer that I agree with the "everyone for sale at the right price" mantra of this summer, but we need to be careful now so close to the transfer window closing. If any deals are agreed for outgoings we need to say we won't conclude the deal until we have a replacement secured. 

I also think that, although I would sell Che for the right price, his goals are worth enough to us that we should be asking well above the usual market price. Talk of him going for £10-15million is way too cheap for me.

48 minutes ago, Nolan said:

there is the small matter of the MSD UK Holdings borrowing that was taken out a couple of years ago. (Pre Sport Republic)

It would be a risk not to pay that off.

One of the early fan forums it was said that they’re happy servicing the debt and its factored it, it got restructured early SR takeover but I think the repayment fee is high so they havn’t cleared it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Holgate is limited. He only got the minutes he did last season and the season before because of lengthy injuries to Yerry Mina. He has been a major part of Everton's defensive woes in recent times, and is just as error-prone as all our other CB options. Having watched a lot of Everton for the last 2-3 seasons, I've seen him make some absolute howlers at times. The only saving grace is that those errors are less likely to be punished at this level than they are in the PL. 

Probably worth putting into context that Everton generally have been a shower of shit for a while now and Holgate was hardly likely to look good under Frank Lampard. Ancellotti saw something he liked in Holgate so there might be something for us to work with... Not that I'm particularly a fan, just trying to be balanced 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

One of the early fan forums it was said that they’re happy servicing the debt and its factored it, it got restructured early SR takeover but I think the repayment fee is high so they havn’t cleared it

Still wise to hold the money aside, just in case.

1 hour ago, Galway saint said:

They are all loan signing and holgate has been poor for Everton 

Not sure if you are aware Everton are currently a Prem club we are championship big difference but glad you have written him off already.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, tisspahars said:

Whilst it may (or may not) be different in the Championship, in the PL Kevin Pullein (the footie punter invariably described as a BOFFIN in the RP) has regularly over the years transposed the table over a table of wage bills and the two correspond to a truly astonishing degree.

Wage bill makes more sense than spend in that sense, Downes, Holgate and Fraser will be on a decent wedge yet the ‘fee’ will probably be minimal 

I think the highest ever ‘spend’ in the champ was 45m or something and Villa finished 4th

1 minute ago, Give it to Ron said:

Not sure if you are aware Evertonnare currently a Prem club we are championship big difference but glad you have written him off already.

Agree. Anyone loaning a player from us over the last 2 seasons would have been met with hilarity from the majority of Saints fans, given how most of our players were terrible.

Given teh sales, seems there were/are not

6 minutes ago, Nolan said:

Still wise to hold the money aside, just in case.

I don’t disagree, just saying what I remember 

Generally debt isn’t seen as a huge issue to most wealth institutions, you shouldn’t be using available funds to clear debt, its a concept that makes little sense to most though

14 minutes ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Probably worth putting into context that Everton generally have been a shower of shit for a while now and Holgate was hardly likely to look good under Frank Lampard. Ancellotti saw something he liked in Holgate so there might be something for us to work with... Not that I'm particularly a fan, just trying to be balanced 

TSW will soon knock that out of you....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Holgate is limited. He only got the minutes he did last season and the season before because of lengthy injuries to Yerry Mina. He has been a major part of Everton's defensive woes in recent times, and is just as error-prone as all our other CB options. Having watched a lot of Everton for the last 2-3 seasons, I've seen him make some absolute howlers at times. The only saving grace is that those errors are less likely to be punished at this level than they are in the PL. 

He didn't get minutes at all last season. It was the two seasons before.

3 hours ago, Gingeletiss said:

Umm! Maybe we say no, and he fulfills his contract.

Saints will have planned that option in. I want him to stay but if he moved on it wouldn’t be a massive shock to anyone.

Edited by manji
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fanimal said:

Surely absolutely no need to sell anyone else now?! Banked £140M; Swansea clearly want more for Wood just get him in. And then mail Adams to whichever pillar or post is at Staplewood

Then we will have a spine more or less

More of a spine than the majority of posters on here, that's for sure. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Galway saint said:

Striker or two, CB, RB assuming KWP leaves, decent back up keeper, CB. 

flip it round - which of the signings screams ambition bearing on mind the funds realised.

there doesn’t appear much desire to invest a significant chunk of that 

Our ambition is to get out of this league. Fraser, Holgate, Charles and Manning are all good enough to help us meet that ambition. 

You and a few others are obsessed about how much we spend. The amount is bollox. It's about the player being good enough, and the ones we have signed are good enough...bar Lumley who I can't make a case for. 

If we signed players good enough to get us up, but not good enough for when we get there, we'll then have the likes of you asking we signed players who weren't good enough for the PL. 

This season is about shifting shite, clearing some debt, and giving RM a good enough to have a proper crack at promotion. 

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, egg said:

Our ambition is to get out of this league. Fraser, Holgate, Charles and Manning are all good enough to help us meet that ambition. 

You and a few others are obsessed about how much we spend. The amount is bollox. It's about the player being good enough, and the ones we have signed are good enough...bar Lumley who I can't make a case for. 

If we signed players good enough to get us up, but not good enough for when we get there, we'll then have the likes of you asking we signed players who weren't good enough for the PL. 

This season is about shifting shite, clearing some debt, and giving RM a good enough to have a proper crack at promotion. 

This, How many wjngers are going to be as good as Fraser in this league? I'd wager hardly any.. and he cost us nothing.

The obsession to spend millions on shiny new toys is soo stupid, We will likely add a née CB for a decent fee soon and a RW, But fans just want to blow 80Million in the championship. Ludicrous 

This isn't football manager ffs.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

This, How many wjngers are going to be as good as Fraser in this league? I'd wager hardly any.. and he cost us nothing.

The obsession to spend millions on shiny new toys is soo stupid, We will likely add a née CB for a decent fee soon and a RW, But fans just want to blow 80Million in the championship. Ludicrous 

Who wants to spend that amount? I agree that wod be mad. 10-15 million on a cb and 15-20 on a striker isn't ludicrous. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Who wants to spend that amount? I agree that wod be mad. 10-15 million on a cb and 15-20 on a striker isn't ludicrous. 

15-20Million isn't nuts if it's ches replacement, if he stays then we don't need to buy a striker for anywhere near that much.

CB will come in for Around £12Million I imagine.. which seems like its going to be Wood.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SaintsFan86 said:

15-20Million isn't nuts if it's ches replacement, if he stays then we don't need to buy a striker for anywhere near that much.

CB will come in for Around £12Million I imagine.. which seems like its going to be Wood.

So we could end up with a spend of 50 million plus which would be reasonable. 

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

That’ll go down well, improve relationships, and help our negotiations for Wood.

Won’t help, but the Swansea owners are notoriously rubbish to deal with anyway.

If you watch the Leeds Amazon documentary and the Dan James failed January window transfer, you’ll see why. 

• Like 1

I think people are being a bit naive if they think the club will let Adams, KWP or whoever go with an hour left of the window and no chance of bringing in a capable replacement.

Except Lyanco, he can go with just 30 seconds left on the clock tbh……oh and McCarthy 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Saint_Ash said:

Ouch 😆

Something weird went on there last January. I think he was promised reinforcements, they were lacking numbers after letting a couple go.

Come to the end of the window they hadn't signed anyone, made a last panicked bid for Karlam Grant which then fell through so they were left with zilch. I think he believes if he'd had that bit of help they'd have got Top 6, but there was some criticism from the board (apparently) at the end of the season as he fell short of the Top 6. A very acrimonious end - but Swansea's owners do not cover themselves in glory, they never have since they sold up to the Yanks.

I think the strategy is clear.

They are trying to bank the money raised to spend on players when promoted. If we spent £100m on players now, we would just end up with a squad full of Championship players. Top players aren't going to sign for us. If we spend that £100m next summer (along with the extra Premier League promotion cash) we could build a midtable Premier League squad fairly easily. That's why the loans are useful, so that we don't have to hold onto the likes of Downes, Fraser and Holgate who have not proved themselves as established Premier League players and are on high wages.

The only players they have looked interested in buying for a fee (Charles and Wood) are young, on cheap wages and have the potential to develop into Premier League players. I'm confident that we would have been interested in signing them had we not been relegated.

Martin said that there will be players that are here to help us get promoted, but won't be with us for the journey beyond that. This is clearly a reference to the loan players, but having cost nothing I suspect it could include Manning too and perhaps other low cost signings.

Obviously there is an element of risk that we might not get promoted this season. Leicester have gone all-in on this season with a massive wage bill and will be in serious trouble if they don't get promoted, whereas we are in a strong position to push for promotion for the next 3 seasons with our funds and young squad. It depends on what you classify as risk.

• Like 32

2 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

They are trying to bank the money raised to spend on players when promoted. If we spent £100m on players now, we would just end up with a squad full of Championship players. Top players aren't going to sign for us. If we spend that £100m next summer (along with the extra Premier League promotion cash) we could build a midtable Premier League squad fairly easily. That's why the loans are useful, so that we don't have to hold onto the likes of Downes, Fraser and Holgate who have not proved themselves as established Premier League players and are on high wages.

The only players they have looked interested in buying for a fee (Charles and Wood) are young, on cheap wages and have the potential to develop into Premier League players. I'm confident that we would have been interested in signing them had we not been relegated.

Martin said that there will be players that are here to help us get promoted, but won't be with us for the journey beyond that. This is clearly a reference to the loan players, but having cost nothing I suspect it could include Manning too and perhaps other low cost signings.

Obviously there is an element of risk that we might not get promoted this season. Leicester have gone all-in on this season with a massive wage bill and will be in serious trouble if they don't get promoted, whereas we are in a strong position to push for promotion for the next 3 seasons with our funds and young squad. It depends on what you classify as risk.

That’s far too insightful a post for this forum 👍

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We are now an EFL club and are lucky enough to have the finacial power to outbid most clubs in this league. But we are still shopping in EPL price bracket, over 10 mil for champ teams is record breaking! Got no issue with this if they are worth it ( not sure woods should be over 10 m). 

At this level we should be getting in a few 4-5 mil prospects (like the abberdeen kid or sunderlands) that will not be a huge tranfer fee or wages. I see Leeds bidding for players around those prices. Got to be a few more hidden gems out in the football world.

6 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Mods - please, for the love of God Almighty, do something about this post please... It really isn't suitable for a Saintsweb transfer window thread. TIA. 

• Haha 14

12 minutes ago, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

I agree about us bringing in players suited to us getting promoted, and not signing players who we'd be stuck with in the PL who aren't good enough for that level once we're up.

However, I don't think we're banking cash. We spent an obscene amount last year on players and won't get much of a return on some. We have also lost a huge amount of income following relegation.

Long story short, I agree with you in the main, but I think that we're recouping losses rather than saving for the PL. In fact, I think we're spending pretty much all we can, but spending it wisely and using the loan system sensibly. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

James Mcatees name keeps coming up. 

15 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's in the twitter responses under the post that said we were interested. 

Can’t be arsed to troll back through - we’re they laughing in a you’ll be lucky we want 10m or quick give me the keys I’ll drive him down - I’m hoping the first and if so how much were they “quoting”?

19 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

It's in the twitter responses under the post that said we were interested. 

I don't think you will find the fans are making the decision fortunately.  How much do you think someone will pay for him?

2 hours ago, StrangelyBrown said:

Under Ancellotti he won Young Player of the Year and Player's Player of the Year.

• Like 8