Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 hours ago, CSA96 said:

God help Adam Blackmore if our strikers are Stewart and Armstrong with Stuart Armstrong in behind.

Ross Stewart, Stuart Armstrong, (Sinclair Armstrong?), Adam Armstrong, Che Adams, Shea Charles, Charly Alcaraz. Need to sign Charlie Taylor from Burnley to get Taylor Harwood-Bellis to join.

Do we take a punt on signing Ruben Alcaraz from Cadiz? It could bring the return of Selles, or it could bring us Dias/Neves/Loftus-Cheek.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, saintant said:

I see Thierry Small clattered him at the end of last season leaving him with damage to ankle ligaments. Small was red carded. Miovski missed some pre-season training but now fit again. I'm hoping we sign him but who knows?

I like the look of Miovski based on the YouTube video. Although that is not always a true reflection of the player. If Che goes we must have someone to lead the line. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sledger said:

reckon we got fraser for tella,sulemana if he stays will give defenders nightmares in this league but it will soon all be done and dusted thank god

RM has said Fraser is not Tella’s replacement and that another player will be brought in. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Just watching the EFL highlights Gnonto scores for Leeds. Surprising, I thought he wants out (and that means he HAS to be allowed to leave?)

He did, he refused to play. Leeds haven't got an acceptable offer yet, that's all - the only one they got was from the paupers at Goodison.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

He did, he refused to play. Leeds haven't got an acceptable offer yet, that's all - the only one they got was from the paupers at Goodison.

Leeds have said, and continue to say, he is not for sale.

https://www.90min.com/posts/leeds-issue-wilfried-gnonto-statement-everton-change-transfer-target

Lets see what happens over the next few days, I guess

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Leeds have said, and continue to say, he is not for sale.

https://www.90min.com/posts/leeds-issue-wilfried-gnonto-statement-everton-change-transfer-target

Lets see what happens over the next few days, I guess

Not sure what your point is here? Leeds have new, very rich, owners. The take-over has been in the offing since May. I would assume that he is on a very long contract and they have convinced him to stay due to that, and the lack of any decent offers from the Prem. 

That article also says Leeds have a price set at £30m that Everton couldn't meet?

Edited by Farmer Saint

Still noises that Everton want Sulemana, Gnonto staying at Leeds it seems if he’s playing for them all of a sudden and apologising etc. Straight loan, loan with obligation and permanent transfer are all still options apparently. But how do they have the money to buy if they sign Beto?

I could see us looking to replace Tella with McAtee or Roberts. We have been linked to both this summer. McAtee may have interest from PL though. 

Despite what the Swans manager says, surely it is very likely we get Wood, especially as Jack’s injury sounds very serious. Hoping Holgate can do what Fraser did yesterday and show he’s motivated and good enough to help. I was pleasantly surprised with Fraser, looked immediately like he can help us.

I can see Che going to Palace. I wish we could hold firm on him, sign Stewart and then in January if Stewart is fit and firing we could cash in on Che to a desperate PL team and everyone wins. Sadly player power means we will blink first and sell Che this week. His absence yesterday says it all.

Lyanco to Celtic sounds good, he would probably do well over there. Hoping we don’t decide keeping Lyanco is a solution to Jack’s injury.

Should be a very busy and interesting week. At least when we play Sunderland we will finally have the group confirmed and players that want to put on the shirt. We all just want to know what that looks like and if it’s promotion charge capable.

• Like 2

All the players I expected to leave at thebstart of the summer have gone apart from Alcaraz, KWP and Adams.

Seems Alcaraz will stay, but I still expect KWP and Adams will go as clearly a PL market for both.

KWP especially will be hard to replace and he is a good quality PL level player and aside from Aarons I could think of anyone from last years Championship who was close and Bree is certainly not the answer.

Shame Dany N'Guessan has retired as he would have been a top signing to replace Tella on a shoestring budget, and he knows the club.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Dusic said:

All the players I expected to leave at thebstart of the summer have gone apart from Alcaraz, KWP and Adams.

Seems Alcaraz will stay, but I still expect KWP and Adams will go as clearly a PL market for both.

KWP especially will be hard to replace and he is a good quality PL level player and aside from Aarons I could think of anyone from last years Championship who was close and Bree is certainly not the answer.

Shame Dany N'Guessan has retired as he would have been a top signing to replace Tella on a shoestring budget, and he knows the club.

I’m guessing Djed Spence on loan is the KWP back up plan. I’d also add Sulemana to the list of people I did and still do expect to leave 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Dusic said:

The club should be putting their foot down and saying KWP is going nowhere this window. Unlike other teams that have come down we seem a soft touch.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 2
  • Confused 6

38 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

KWP linked to Fulham

Not surprising. Amazed he is still here.

Just ABK, Sulemana and Che until the complete set are gone, which is what was predicted. 

The squad is starting to look like a championship squad. Let's hope it's a good one.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Palace do seem to like buying non scoring strikers. 

Much like us it's been a problem area for them for years which they seem incapable of addressing. Signing Che Adams is not the answer.

Not easy finding strikers that actually can score goals in the Prem, especially if you don't have oil money. Everton and Wolves have done so. Even United and Chelsea haven't had one for a couple of years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

Not surprising. Amazed he is still here.

Just ABK, Sulemana and Che until the complete set are gone, which is what was predicted. 

The squad is starting to look like a championship squad. Let's hope it's a good one.

I think bringing in Downes, Fraser and Holgate who have all to varying degrees played in the Prem isn’t a bad group of signings at this level but the next few days will go a long way to decide if we are looking to stay top 4 or if our realistic ambitions are top 10.

Having said that with our renowned slow starts not many could have hoped for 10 points from 12 !

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Love it!

I thought the opposite, I thought JWP, Tino and Tella would’ve still been here over KWP, both Armstrong’s, Stephens, Onuachu, , ABK, Adams etc.

It’s funny how the window has turned out.

Going to be even more wild over this next few days! 😅

I’m sure some will whine along the way this week but ultimately if we’re playing in a similar way and getting good results in a few weeks time then you’d have to consider the window a decent one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Love it!

I thought the opposite, I thought JWP, Tino and Tella would’ve still been here over KWP, both Armstrong’s, Stephens, Onuachu, , ABK, Adams etc.

It’s funny how the window has turned out.

Going to be even more wild over this next few days! 😅

I’m sure some will whine along the way this week but ultimately if we’re playing in a similar way and getting good results in a few weeks time then you’d have to consider the window a decent one.

It will only be a decent one if we get promoted. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Interesting to hear Martin say that if Adams leaves we will replace him. Fair enough.

What if he leaves next Friday afternoon, after a very late bid from whoever...........that makes it very difficult to replace our main striker.  

Umm! Maybe we say no, and he fulfills his contract.

10 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I think bringing in Downes, Fraser and Holgate who have all to varying degrees played in the Prem isn’t a bad group of signings at this level 

Only teams with a parachute could get those players (which is a big gripe of championship sides - the playing field isn't level).

If we can get the team to gel and replace the last few Prem bound players with similar quality, then we have a good chance. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I think bringing in Downes, Fraser and Holgate who have all to varying degrees played in the Prem isn’t a bad group of signings at this level but the next few days will go a long way to decide if we are looking to stay top 4 or if our realistic ambitions are top 10.

Having said that with our renowned slow starts not many could have hoped for 10 points from 12 !

Even if we lose Che, Sully and ABK we still look like a top 4 squad tbh

People are blowing this way out of proportion, look at the state of most of the squads down here, they’re pretty poor

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Interesting to hear Martin say that if Adams leaves we will replace him. Fair enough.

What if he leaves next Friday afternoon, after a very late bid from whoever...........that makes it very difficult to replace our main striker.  

I appreciate how you’ve managed to squeeze a negative from a positive 

Your effort to remain consistently depressive is admirable 

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Chewy said:

I’m guessing Djed Spence on loan is the KWP back up plan. I’d also add Sulemana to the list of people I did and still do expect to leave 

In the press conference of Friday, Martin said Holgate was being brought in to play right back.

edit: jut re-watched the video and to clarify, Martin said predominantly centre half AND Right-back. I originally missed the centre half bit.

Edited by Nolan
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

You hold off signing the scrib sheet until your own deal is signed is one option. Or you sell (to prevent losing £15m asset for free next summer) and muddle through with the four other strikers on the books is another. 

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Martin has mentioned a few times himself and Che are catching up multiple times a day to discuss updates.

If we get to deadline day Che will be aware that he won't be able to leave unless a replacement is lined up. Wilcox and Martin aren't stupid.

• Like 3

Just now, Saint Scott said:

Martin has mentioned a few times himself and Che are catching up multiple times a day to discuss updates.

If we get to deadline day Che will be aware that he won't be able to leave unless a replacement is lined up. Wilcox and Martin aren't stupid.

fair one

10 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Yeah Leeds did a spectacular job……

They've still kept (21m signing sinisterra, a 30M striker in Rutter and italian international Gnonto). That may change but compare that to people suggesting we should be happy to keep only Alcaraz. If we have to sell KWP does that mean Leicester have to sell Pereira because he's an equally good RB

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I missed that. Slightly surprised since he's not played there for a few years.

I thought he mentioned his versatility and both positions. Although based on what I’ve read rather than seen/heard.

• Like 1

Just now, markr27 said:

Maybe a straight £12m bid for Nathan Wood will be incoming to Swansea, given Stephens' injury, and the perception at Swansea that Saints are even more flushed with cash after Tella's sale.

Woid seems a prospect. I’d be happier with a more experienced player to provide some leadership from that position IF Stephens is to be out for any length. (Bednarek doesn’t seem to cut the leader role for me despite his experience).

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Woid seems a prospect. I’d be happier with a more experienced player to provide some leadership from that position IF Stephens is to be out for any length. (Bednarek doesn’t seem to cut the leader role for me despite his experience).

That’ll be Holgate I expect, experienced and vocal. 

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

They've still kept (21m signing sinisterra, a 30M striker in Rutter and italian international Gnonto). That may change but compare that to people suggesting we should be happy to keep only Alcaraz. If we have to sell KWP does that mean Leicester have to sell Pereira because he's an equally good RB

Leicester lost 7 first team starters, 2 of them on free transfers

Leeds lost 8… 6 of them on loan

We’ve lost 6

Why does us selling KWP mean Leicester have to sell Pereira ? Who is a good player but has had 2 big injuries in the last 4 years

There is as much noise around Daka, Iheanacho, Castagne, Gnonto and Sinestera as there is Che and KWP

We are all Championship clubs, this is how it works down here, you can try to hold on but eventually if bigger clubs come in for your best and brightest there is only so much you can do, look back at every club thats ever been relegated and stop with the ‘why does this only happen to Saints’ bullshit.. it’s embarrassingly short sighted 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

It's up to the club to insist that if Adams isn't gone by end of play Tuesday then he won't be going. We cannot risk selling him too late in the window to give us a fair chance of getting a decent replacement - we don't want a last minute panic buy.

7 minutes ago, Appy said:

That’ll be Holgate I expect, experienced and vocal. 

Experienced, of being crap and surplus to requirements at a poor Everton, but having had a good spell for WBA 4 years ago ? 

Remains to be seen. You might be right but I’ve not read anything apart from his age to see him in the role. 

Like our other CB’s he strikes me as another who might be fine in the Championship but would be improved with a ‘Fonte type’ alongside him organising things. 

Edited by Badger