Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Just now, Chez said:

Doubt much will be revealed. He will want to avoid talking about transfers if he can and focus on the game ahead.  

But early for a presser about the game unless they've moved it due to deadline day being Friday.

3 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

But why then lose two attacking players? I would have pushed to get Sully out of the door ahead of Tella, price met or not.

when you say `really push' do you mean lower his value, as that's pretty much all a seller can do. 

5 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I am glad that you noticed this too. I had been thinking about making the same point but I decided against it as I didn’t want him stalking me again. He has been sending multiple posts for it seems like forever and all pretty much on the same theme. It does border on the hysterical. Christ, how many times do you have to repeat the same mantra? You have made your point Hyperbole, now why not relax for a bit until the window finally slams shut and then you can start up again posting every two minutes that you told us so.

It's up to him, it's a free world for him to post as many times as he likes on a topic, I just find it very boring (and by the number of likes/laughs I think a lot of people on this forum do too). Perhaps he'll take it on board and become a better, more accomplished poster. 

• Like 2

More of our quality thoughtful January recruitment it seems. Shame as he's got the pace that he could potentially tear up this league if he was actually bothered. Seems like we may have to end up loaning him out without an option with the hope he does well in the shop window if teams are refusing to come close to his asking price and he won't play for us. Does put real pressure on whoever they've targetted as Tella's replacement to be very good.

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

But why then lose two attacking players? I would have pushed to get Sully out of the door ahead of Tella, price met or not.

Club says Fraser is not the Tella replacement and we’re after one more. So, if that does happen, it’s Sulemana and Tella out, Fraser and AN Other in. 

Just now, Chez said:

when you say `really push' do you mean lower his value, as that's pretty much all a seller can do. 

If it meant getting a player out that didn't want to be here, who is clearly not going to play a part for us this year, then yes. Accepting a lower fee may well have allowed us to keep Tella. You might argue that Tella didn't want to be here either, but I bet he wouldn't have refused to play or train. 

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Depends how many goals he scores from 1 yard out but we both know,in reality, he is likely to score all kinds of goals. You believe he won't score enough whereas I think he will. Probably all irrelevant as he's likely to go this window so we'll agree to disagree on Che's ability at this level.

I never said I don't think he'll score enough, but I also don't think he's irreplaceable. And then if we get promoted we'll end upoffering him a bumper contract and keeping him, on much higher wages, and he will lead our line and not score in the Prem. Again.

As an aside to this mind, I'm also not too concerned about being in the Premier League - being a shit team in the Prem is far worse than being a good team in the Championship in relation to enjoyment and entertainment. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

What a cock, I was told he'd refused to train when he was "away for medical treatment" so assuming thats true. 

He knew the situation when he signed in January. I have no time for players that act like this.

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/kamldeen-sulemana-southampton-juventus-links-8490549

"If I am here for the pre-season I will be here and will be ready to put all the hard work needed to bring Southampton back where it belongs.”

Hard work 😂

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If it meant getting a player out that didn't want to be here, who is clearly not going to play a part for us this year, then yes. Accepting a lower fee may well have allowed us to keep Tella. You might argue that Tella didn't want to be here either, but I bet he wouldn't have refused to play or train. 

Any player refusing to train or play should have their money stopped immediately and be fined every day they do not turn up. These players are paid fortunes and it's time they were treated the same way they would be in any other industry instead of letting them call all the shots.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer Saint said:

I never said I don't think he'll score enough, but I also don't think he's irreplaceable. And then if we get promoted we'll end upoffering him a bumper contract and keeping him, on much higher wages, and he will lead our line and not score in the Prem. Again.

As an aside to this mind, I'm also not too concerned about being in the Premier League - being a shit team in the Prem is far worse than being a good team in the Championship in relation to enjoyment and entertainment. 

Regards your final point I was just saying the same to my neighbour. We all clamour to win lots of matches to get promotion and then we endure the misery of losing week in week out because there's no way we can compete at the top table without a rich benefactor.  Don't know what the solution to that is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_lambden said:

Seen Stewart live a couple of times and he's excellent at holding the ball up/back to goal in general and 9 times out of 10 if you give him a sniff in the box, he'll score. 

Sunderland were hoping to play him in a behind closed doors friendly during the international break so he's really not far away from being fit again. Of course it's a risk but at £5-8m it's surely worth it and gives us more options at the top end (assuming Che stays), allowing Adam Armstrong to play in that slightly deeper role he's been thriving in. 

He's excellent in the air too which will prove important in both boxes. 

Worth mentioning that our 'new' Head of Recruitment is Sunderland manager Tony Mowbray's brother so that should help in getting a deal done. 

He looks and sounds exactly like the type of player we need. I think if he can stay fit, he'll be a big hit here. However, he's not played since January, had no pre-season and no one really knows how he'll return (thankfully his game doesn't look to rely on pace, so he wont lose that). 

If he is our Che replacement, we need another to cover / mitigate the risk and start straight away, as well.  Perhaps that lad from Aberdeen?

11 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Guessing the press conference has been moved a day earlier as Friday will be a travel day, as well as being deadline day. So their final full training sessions will presumably be on Thursday.

Yes, just seen it's the presser for RM to talk about the Sunderland match.

21 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

I am glad that you noticed this too. I had been thinking about making the same point but I decided against it as I didn’t want him stalking me again. He has been sending multiple posts for it seems like forever and all pretty much on the same theme. It does border on the hysterical. Christ, how many times do you have to repeat the same mantra? You have made your point Hyperbole, now why not relax for a bit until the window finally slams shut and then you can start up again posting every two minutes that you told us so.

Thanks for your contribution soggy. Another one that would be better off not replying to posts but I know you can't help yourself. You have my pity. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I would take that with a pinch of salt to be honest

I'd be shocked if they don't bring someone in. Martin has been pretty straight talking so to deliberately lie to the fanbase already skittish at the transfer business would be a very odd move. 

What they haven't promised to do is replace Sulemana.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, saintant said:

Regards your final point I was just saying the same to my neighbour. We all clamour to win lots of matches to get promotion and then we endure the misery of losing week in week out because there's no way we can compete at the top table without a rich benefactor.  Don't know what the solution to that is.

The solution is to go up and use that momentum to have a few years of good times punching above our weight. Ideally during that period we would win something like Leicester did. I'd take a league cup win or another jaunt in Europe any day. 

I suspect that Fraser is Sulamana's replacement and the bloke from Genk we've spent all window chasing, who doesn't want to come here, is the suggested replacement for Tella. 

Of all the links to date, I like the look of Patrick Roberts most. Diallo from united would be the best, but he's suffering a long term injury, I think. 

• Like 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

The solution is to go up and use that momentum to have a few years of good times punching above our weight. Ideally during that period we would win something like Leicester did. I'd take a league cup win or another jaunt in Europe any day. 

Agree, but as history shows it's easier said than done.

Stewart's stats are pretty incredible, albeit in a limited sample size.

As I mentioned yesterday about incomings needing additional context, if he comes alongside Che/somebody else then I absolutely love the move. If it's Che out, Stewart in when he's not even going to be fit throughout our hardest run of the season and hasn't kicked a ball in 8 months... it's a problem.

Player looks really good, so hopefully the medical team are certain that the achilles injury isn't going to play a part, and his hamstrings aren't prone to snapping again right away.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Thats not what I said or meant at all. Surely selling Sully would have allowed us to keep Tella. As I stated, I don't think he is the type of character to refuse to play 

Tella wanted out. We received a very good offer that met our valuation from one of the top German teams who can offer European football. He was never staying, regardless of what happens with Sully.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LuckyNumber7 said:

Tella wanted out. We received a very good offer that met our valuation from one of the top German teams who can offer European football. He was never staying, regardless of what happens with Sully.

So what - he had a (long) contract with us. Our problem has been that ew've allowed player power to kick in - anyone who fancied a move got it rather than us actually standing firm for anyone. 

At some point we need to learn that its not always about what the player wants, it needs to be what we want as well. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RM pointing out in the presser that 'it's still quite a quiet group, but they're finding their voices' - talks about importance of adding grit and people who have experience under their belt. Thinks likes of Fraser and Holgate will help with this too.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 2

Russ confirms there's a small group who are being made to train away from the main group until they decide they want to commit to the team and contribute to what we're trying to achieve. He says he's not interested in compromising the group to accommodate those players, but they will still be treated professionally and fairly.

Edited by CSA96
  • Like 13

Really good presser from Rusty. A summary:

There will be lots going on for duration of the window. It’s dependent on getting players out as to ascertaining who will come in. Replacing Tella is high on the priority list, got a few options lined up, let’s see which one lands.

Nathan Wood, likes him a lot but he’s a Swansea player, let’s see.

Che Adams, three options: 1 we keep Che; 2 we sell Che and replace him; 3 we keep Che and sign someone else as well. Any other option not being looked at, selling him and not replacing him would be mad.  Also, Russ still sounded pissed off that has been leaks from the club about Adams training separately.

Jack Stephens injury not anywhere near as bad as anticipated. Hurt his calf, will miss 7-8 games which sounds a lot but they feared the worst so treating it as a positive.

Downes, Holgate and Fraser all have a good chance of starting Saturday.

Overall, looking forward to the window closing and getting with the job.

Juan Larios back training and an option on the left, natural LB and pushing Ryan Manning well. Romain Perraud didn’t really suit the way we played.

New captain……..you’ll find out on Saturday.

Ross Stewart, really like him, tried to sign him before. We’re going to be linked with some, lots reported are miles off the mark, we’ll see. 

• Like 7

Sounded very much like Che will be the captain for the next few months if he stays. Hopefully an added incentive for him sticking around.

Spent a little while reading the Sunderland forum about Stewart and they're pretty much all of the opinion that if he comes back how he was, he's the best striker in the division now Gyokeres has left. However, there is a lot of reiteration that he is simply injury prone.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

3 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Good post. Serves to show where the strategic priority exists for SR. Promotion is of secondary importance and Wilcox has been charged with moving as many players out as possible irrespective of their ability to influence the success of this season. The bloated squad had to be thinned out, so if an asset has a heartbeat they’ll be sold/loaned if there’s an opportunity to do so. And that’s ok…most of them collectively were very poor last season, even against lower ranked teams.

Where Wilcox really earns his corn is knowing how to re-build the squad back to a level of quality that can do well this season. Martin is probably providing a lot of input to this, given his time in the Championship, hence the incomings being ex-Martin men he can trust. But to be promoted you need to better than the Championship, so the question is…are we seeing any evidence that the work is being done to achieve this? My concern is we’re still hearing of possible loss of influential players - Tella gone and Che closely following and there’s not much time left to repair these what have become gaping holes. Even if we manage to hold on to Che, we urgently need another very good, mobile striker/AM.

I tend to agree with you;  not deluding myself into thinking that our best interests are in safe hands. The whole bunch of them were out at Totton t'other night casting an eye over the U21's no doubt working out how much they could get for Dibling & Ballard before the window closes

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Thanks for your contribution soggy. Another one that would be better off not replying to posts but I know you can't help yourself. You have my pity. 

Dear god man, the sheer gall of you calling out someone for being "better off not replaying to posts" when you endlessly reply to people saying variations of the same shit over and over and over and over.

Just take the advice people are offering you mate. If you've got a point, make it once and make it well. You do not need to press the same point a dozen times. It reads like the rambling of a stroppy child and makes people dislike you.

You're a passionate fan, which is great - some good forum etiquette would go a long way, dude.

• Like 23

5 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Sounds like we will sign Stewart with the hope Adams stays but safety net that if he doesn't he is already replaced.

I think you are close to the right answer. Imagine it’s January 24.
Che has scored 8 goals. Stewart joined, is fully fit and fully up to speed on the RM playlist. Already notched a few from the bench. We are in the top six and looking good for automatic . Even if Che leaves in Jan window to a EPL team needing a forward Ross has learned his lines.

I’m hoping the “ at least stay til Xmas Che and see how you feel as there’s always the Jan window”  chat might actually be effective. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Really good presser from Rusty. A summary:

New captain……..you’ll find out on Saturday.

This is intriguing.

My (personal) hope is that this means RM will consider giving the armband to KWP (If he stays).

Perhaps KWP is still too quiet in "a quiet group" but it seems to me that he has all the qualities to make a good leader both on the pitch and in and around the club.

Never a classic position for a captain I guess, but would love to see it come Saturday.

Or maybe it's the final offer to Che to stay... ...the previous contact offer was for vice-captain wasn't it?!?

1 minute ago, Polaroid Saint said:

This is intriguing.

My (personal) hope is that this means RM will consider giving the armband to KWP (If he stays).

Perhaps KWP is still too quiet in "a quiet group" but it seems to me that he has all the qualities to make a good leader both on the pitch and in and around the club.

Never a classic position for a captain I guess, but would love to see it come Saturday.

Or maybe it's the final offer to Che to stay... ...the previous contact offer was for vice-captain wasn't it?!?

Che was captain against Gillingham....

• Like 2