Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 minute ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Although i agree with you Hypo i am guessing if we want him gone then it's purely down to getting his wages off the books and nothing else. A motivated Sully would tear the Championship up. I really hope we keep him but am not confident.

I expect behind the scenes he's done something like refuse to play. I found it really odd when The Athletic released an article at the beginning of the summer and suggested he would be loaned out. IMO he's probably said something like the Championship is beneath him and he isn't playing. 

6 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

I know that fans are short term oriented but boy players and agents are too.

we have 10 pointsfrom 4 games, Everton winless and he wants to go there with odds stacked against them on being relegated. Chances are if he moves there is that he will be in the same situation next summer and we will be back in the PL

If he gets a loan to Everton then it's a win win from his perspective. Either he keeps them up and gets to stay in the prem permanently, or they get relegated and he can come back here if we did get promoted. Doesn't exactly endear him to Saints fans though and I expect he's played his last game for us either way. 

13 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

With all due respect, what else can we do?

If he’s been our manager’s ‘top target’ all summer (as reported) are we going to turn round and just tell the manager he’s not getting the striker he wants and needs to make his system work?

There’ll be a risk assessment, an evaluation and a medical process before anyone is signed. The board will have also had to weigh this up and get comfortable with it before sanctioning any bids.  

I think Martin has earned the trust with this one - especially in such a crucial role - and if it fails, then it’ll be him who loses his job anyway.

I’d sooner back him and him have no excuses than to not back the manager properly or give him a player he doesn’t actually want and then end up having to listen to how RM wasn’t backed by the board and that’s why we failed. 

Best get on with it then because if the medical throws up an issue we've lost valuable time to look for an alternative. 

2 minutes ago, Hopper said:

I think the 'motivated' part is the biggest issue here with Kamaldeen.

I don't really give a shit about his motivation. He's contracted to us, and he knew when he signed we were probably going to be relegated, therefore it was always likely he would be playing in the Championship this season. He did nothing in his few appearances last season to suggest this level is truly beneath him.

He's our record signing, so we're not going to let him go for peanuts. Nor should we just loan him out to whoever wants him just because he couldn't see the inevitable in January. Either he accepts that and gets his head down and plays, or he can mope around while still picking up his sizeable salary.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

I don't really give a shit about his motivation. He's contracted to us, and he knew when he signed we were probably going to be relegated, therefore it was always likely he would be playing in the Championship this season. He did nothing in his few appearances last season to suggest this level is truly beneath him.

He's our record signing, so we're not going to let him go for peanuts. Nor should we just loan him out to whoever wants him just because he couldn't see the inevitable in January. Either he accepts that and gets his head down and plays, or he can mope around while still picking up his sizeable salary.

TBF one of the more bizarre actions of managers from last year was not starting Sulemana in every game he was fit. 

• Like 7

Just been reading the Sunderland forum, they largely rave about Ross Stewart and would be devastated to lose him. Multiple comments saying that he’s the best striker in the division. They think they’re a bit stuffed without him at this late stage so it’s not there yet but sounds like Stewart is refusing to sign a new contract so they may want to cash in. Who knows?! Hope to find out soon, exciting last few days of the window ahoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint NL said:

Where's Che going?

Looks like Palace isn't an option

They have been linked to several strikers, but they will only be signing one. I wonder which is accurate. Iheanacho somehow feels a better fit to me than Che.

Also, do Palace need to sell Mateta before signing a striker? 

Good question though. Where is Che going to go. To Bournemouth perhaps? 

I can’t really blame Sulemana for not wanting to be playing in the Championship tbh. He came in January to a new league and new country, starts one game and the manager gets the boot. Then he got hooked after an hour the first two Selles games just to ‘maintain the press’ and from then on was in and out the team. Never given a real chance to bed in, can’t imagine he feels particularly responsible for the shit show of last season, so don’t blame him for thinking he deserves more. 

• Like 2

I’ve noticed that the ITK gossipers have stopped now as the cleaners are not allowed in the boardroom and the black box one during meetings ;)

Reckon it’s going to be very explosive on the markets for us soon.

Going for a 9/10 come Saturday and that Wilcox & co will have done a great job for us.

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

I’ve noticed that the ITK gossipers have stopped now as the cleaners are not allowed in the boardroom and the black box one during meetings ;)

Going for a 9/10 come Saturday and that Wilcox & co will have done a great job for us.

Genuine confidence or sarcasm?

5 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just up (it's only 6:45am here).

Mood seems low on here. Is Che definitely gone? I haven't got time to trawl back through the new pages of posts.

No, no further news on Che. News that saints have had an initial bid for Ross Stewart rebuffed but may go back in for him. Wanton speculation abound as to whether Stewart is a replacement for Che or a signing in his own right. Paul Onuachu not seen in training yesterday and everyone has got their fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

With a burgeoning recruitment of Scots, in addition to the gaffer is this our biggest tartan influence since the days of WGS, Paul Telfer and Antti Niemi?

I'm hoping Ross Stewart = Joe Jordan (before your time I'm sure)

Edited by Toussaint
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Just been reading the Sunderland forum, they largely rave about Ross Stewart and would be devastated to lose him. Multiple comments saying that he’s the best striker in the division. They think they’re a bit stuffed without him at this late stage so it’s not there yet but sounds like Stewart is refusing to sign a new contract so they may want to cash in. Who knows?! Hope to find out soon, exciting last few days of the window ahoy.

That's true but there's also a fair percentage of them saying we are mad to sign someone recovering from such an awful injury. 

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

They have been linked to several strikers, but they will only be signing one. I wonder which is accurate. Iheanacho somehow feels a better fit to me than Che.

Also, do Palace need to sell Mateta before signing a striker? 

Good question though. Where is Che going to go. To Bournemouth perhaps? 

Bournemouth 

Wolves 

Palace 

Brentford 

One of those 4 is my bet. 

11 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

Just up (it's only 6:45am here).

Mood seems low on here. Is Che definitely gone? I haven't got time to trawl back through the new pages of posts.

No concrete links to a particular club but the Athletic reporting this morning that he is about to leave with Stewart lined up to replace him. There are a few more links to Stewart coming in

9 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Love this from Pilchards.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

That's true but there's also a fair percentage of them saying we are mad to sign someone recovering from such an awful injury. 

Maybe not, if he's potentially that good its seems likely a championship side such us us wouldn't get a look in if he as fit and firing. Maybe a bit of genius on our part?

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Paul Onuachu not seen in training yesterday and everyone has got their fingers crossed.

A Nigerian newspaper reported that he hasn't been training for a week now. The headline was that he has refused to train. No idea if it's true.

Just now, Chez said:

A Nigerian newspaper reported that he hasn't been training for a week now. The headline was that he has refused to train. No idea if it's true.

I guess that means he'll only last 20 minutes rather than 45 for his next team.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

And yet the majority of them on there are desperate for Stewart to either sign his new contract or for their club to just give him what he wants in wages, rather than take a hefty transfer fee. So maybe they’re mad too.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Martin seemed a bit annoyed at the leaks. I wonder if they have pinned down where they were coming from?

• Like 2

I think we need more up top if Adams is off. 

We can't solely gamble and rely on Stewart that would be sheer stupidity in my eyes. 

Could we see the following: 

Onuachu and Adams outgoing 

Stewart and one of the Aberdeen ( Duk / Milo  lads or that Switzerland player at Brighton on loan.

Or something more ambitious with a signing of Stweart and someone like Ings or Broja in on a season long loan.. 

6 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

And yet the majority of them on there are desperate for Stewart to either sign his new contract or for their club to just give him what he wants in wages, rather than take a hefty transfer fee. So maybe they’re mad too.

What a lot of them actually said is that he should have signed a new contract with a release clause earlier on. Which makes sense. 

9 minutes ago, Chez said:

He refuses to train so we refuse to pay him and save some money. Simple really.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Galway saint said:

Sounds like a SR move. Sell your only credible striker and bring in as his replacement a guy who has had a very serious injury and isn’t able to play for some time. I really hope this isn’t the case. 

I seem to remember a lot of posts like this before we signed Ings.

21 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

thats interesting because when i was putting Harpic down the bogs i noticed a folded post it note on the floor which must have fallen out of Jases pocket when he did a dump, what was on it was VERY interesting. I'm assuming none of you want to know as you all hate the CoT so much.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

The replacement at Sunderland for Ross Stewart is Nazariy Rusyn. It's been in the offing for a while, but he will require a work permit before he can join them. Maybe they will sell Stewart without a replacement being signed, but I am sure it would help if that deal went through.    

Stewart’s nickname at Sunderland is ‘The Loch Ness Drogba’ - we should sign him on that basis alone 😀 

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

If this bloke is in addition to someone else and he has the time and space to get fit and firing then fantastic. If this is the Adams replacement and we will have to make do until he is fit in a month or two then that's pretty crap. Let's see. 

You do love repeating yourself don't you? You remind me of my daughter, when she's hysterical she repeats herself over and over too. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

thats interesting because when i was putting Harpic down the bogs i noticed a folded post it note on the floor which must have fallen out of Jases pocket when he did a dump, what was on it was VERY interesting. I'm assuming none of you want to know as you all hate the CoT so much.

Please use both sides of the bog roll as the clubs skint ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

If we want £30m for Sulemena, do you think there is any chance Everton get close to that? The supposed £22m verbal offer seems a long way short of £30m.

Fulham are in for Iwobi now and Gray is potentially off to Saudi, so maybe they can get there...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

If we want £30m for Sulemena, do you think there is any chance Everton get close to that? The supposed £22m verbal offer seems a long way short of £30m.

All reports on Everton’s Beto deal is that they’ve paid zero up front, won’t pay anything until the next financial year. Probably might struggle to even get a loan fee out of them. So they’re not exactly the most appealing club to sell/loan to.

6 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Fulham are in for Iwobi now and Gray is potentially off to Saudi, so maybe they can get there...

I can imagine a club scraping together the pennies to sign Messi, but for Sulemana? Seems madness from Everton (if true).

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

Seems unlikely- would they actually be able to structure the deal in an agreeable way even if overall valuation is met? 

I think it's 60/40 in favour of Sulemana being here at the close of the window. He's valued too highly relative to what he has done. But he does have pace and attributes that prem teams would want. 

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Please show me where I've said that before? 

There are 6 posts on the last 3 pages that are similar on the risk of bringing in Stewart instead of Adams. All variations on a theme and all extremely dull. Why don't you tell us again about how you think we've missed out by not signing Piroe 😴

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Looks like Adams off and Ross Stewart in. Huge risk this and my only hope is that he is less injured than first reported and back sooner than expected. If this is our new forward to lead the line then we are really going to have a big hole over the next month or two. 

3 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

The Athletic are reporting apparently that we are about to sell Adams and a bid may have already gone in for Stewart. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

So we'd be left with a new striker who has been out with a long term injury, a youth player and a player who isn't ready yet but should be given an opportunity? It doesn't strike me as a recipe for promotion. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

I think the question we should be asking is why our top target is someone with a horrendous injury , a patchy injury record overall and someone who hasn't played a competitive game in over six months. 

1 hour ago, hypochondriac said:

You would think he is almost certainly our Adams replacement rather than being signed in addition to him. 

39 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

12 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 3
  • Haha 16