West Ham 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Convict Colony

1 minute ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

With the money we've spent on crap, I can't see how we're anywhere near financially breaking even this year.

We lost £13m after tax in 21/22, and that was with player trading roughly breaking even. 

In 22/23 we've spent £115m and brought in £4.5m for Romeu and a couple of loan fees, if we are lucky.

13 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

The gap between the Premier League and Championship is wider than it was 26 years ago...

Not that I want to go all MLG but if Bournemouth can bounce back, so can we.

I'd compare us to Fulham when they went down, think we just need to get the managerial appointment correct.

I'd compare us to Sunderland. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Chez said:

Correct, or Stoke maybe. Fairly long standing Prem clubs sliding down and eventually out.

The optimistic comparison is Burnley or Newcastle, who bounced back well first time. 

But yes Sunderland feels the most realistic comparison.

We're absolutely nothing like Fulham who are basically the London Norwich yo-yoing up and down swapping places, only this time those two have split off to their extremes - Fulham into top half dreamland and Norwich back into mid table Championship sludge.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, derry said:

I've had time to reflect, two spot on posts from James and DT. That performance was moronic. The team selection that led to it was moronic. The defending of the free kick that gave the goal away was moronic. Never mind the grappling attack the fucking ball you idiots. The number of set piece goals we have conceded by playing a zonal spectator defensive set up is on its own sending us down.

That team selection was a clusterfuck. I understand the moronic safety first, stay in the game bollocks, that worked didn't it? Just pick the best quickest, team and go balls out for it. We are in deep enough as it is without trying to be clever. That's the trouble with coaches, too much complicated theory. A much more simplistic approach is required. For example, Elyonoussie, a nothing player, nearly closes down, nearly tackles, nearly gets back, loses the ball having sucked everybody out of position, ducks out of challenges and is weak. We are not going to score with him as a forward or win the ball with him defending:mcinnes:. I don't give a monkey's about the analytics. I see what I see, a nothing player.

Onuachu scored 17 goals in 19 games for Genk nearly all like his header yeasterday, in the box getting across the defender, so play him there, he's not a midfield grafter he's a goalhanger. Sulemana should have started with pace on the other side and Alcaraz on front of Lavia and JWP. That really is our only chance. Stop the obsessive go nowhere possession and move the ball wide quickly. get up the line and stick the ball into the box. Selles is picking the wrong team playing the wrong way and hoping for a goal whilst praying for a miracle. 

We are going down without a fight if we don't do something different. I'd sooner we went down fighting than losing 0-1 every week.

Surely if Nathan Jones can get a shot managing, we can hire this poster for next season. You have my full support.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

The gap between the Premier League and Championship is wider than it was 26 years ago...

Not that I want to go all MLG but if Bournemouth can bounce back, so can we.

I'd compare us to Fulham when they went down, think we just need to get the managerial appointment correct.

This, the gap between the Prem and Championship is massive now. If we get the right manager and if the owners are willing/able to take a bit of a punt money wise there is no reason why we couldn't do what Fulham or Bournemouth did. Fulham were very similar in that they spend a whole load of cash on new players the season they went down.

The squad is a mess but there are assets to raise cash and a load of young players who should improve. Just need to add some players with a bit of fight, especially in midfield who, apart from Lavia, are a bunch of pussies.

Edited by aintforever

11 hours ago, Chez said:

Not sure about that. They were full of journeymen and cast offs that they paid well over the odds for. We've got a side of youngsters who are too naive for the fight. 

If we can miraculously keep the right players - JWP, ABK, Lavia, Alcaraz being the main four I want us to hold onto - we could put together a very, very good side. 

13 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Correct, or Stoke maybe. Fairly long standing Prem clubs sliding down and eventually out.

The optimistic comparison is Burnley or Newcastle, who bounced back well first time. 

But yes Sunderland feels the most realistic comparison.

We're absolutely nothing like Fulham who are basically the London Norwich yo-yoing up and down swapping places, only this time those two have split off to their extremes - Fulham into top half dreamland and Norwich back into mid table Championship sludge.

What about coventry and charlton

• Like 1

2 hours ago, farawaysaint said:

I have been consistently hopeful while expecting relegation for the last several months.

Still possible mathematically but the hope is gone. 

we're hopeless.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

we're hopeless.

We are not hopeless. We have several very good players but no one who puts the ball in the net. Is this because they are incapable or because the coaching is wrong and makes us look hopeless.?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Totton Saint said:

What about coventry and charlton

It wasn't supposed to be an exhaustive list of every team that has ever been relegated. 

Cov went down before we went down the first time round so not really relevant at all.

Really disappointed after Sunday. It was a great opportunity for us to go level with them on points. Still think that goal was offside and the on field decision should have stood. But we needed to do more in the game. Onuachu so unlucky with the header against the bar. Lavia my MOTM, he was so good :) Let's bounce back on Saturday- COYR :)

Just did not genuinely understand the selection.   Only real quality i can see is Lavia, W-Peters, Perraud , Alcaraz,  JWP, Bella, and Salisu (with help).   We put Eli !, Mara, and Walcott (how has he even got any game time!) up front and leave 2 strikers that cost 40M between them on bench until last 25 minutes.  Followed since 1966 , christ this is very very poor

3 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Adams and Armstrong were prolific in the Championship. Does that confirm the gulf between Premier League and the Prem?

If we go down it would be a shame for those two to end up where they come from.

Can't see any Premier League teams being interested in either of them, both proven failures at the highest level. 

You just have to see how well Tella has done to see the size of the gulf, the Premier League is a different beast now than even 5 years ago. Chelsea spent more than the rest of Europe combined and they are mid-table.

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Concerning how deluded the team os. Hearing jwp talk about how we were by far the better team. Having more possession by passing safely isn't being better. Barring onachu late chance I never felt we seriously threatened them in the 2nd for all our pedestrian possession.

I saw that, absolute pony. If they believe this rubbish we really are in trouble. If jones had come out with that bollocks he’d have been rightly crucified. 

7 hours ago, CB Fry said:

It wasn't supposed to be an exhaustive list of every team that has ever been relegated. 

Cov went down before we went down the first time round so not really relevant at all.

Was not disputing anything - just thought mentioning

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aintforever said:

Can't see any Premier League teams being interested in either of them, both proven failures at the highest level. 

You just have to see how well Tella has done to see the size of the gulf, the Premier League is a different beast now than even 5 years ago. Chelsea spent more than the rest of Europe combiPned and they are mid-table.

Perhaps Tella has had better coaching/manager at Burnley

• Like 2

5 hours ago, aintforever said:

You just have to see how well Tella has done to see the size of the gulf, the Premier League is a different beast now than even 5 years ago. Chelsea spent more than the rest of Europe combined and they are mid-table.

The PL is dreadful his season. Falling for the Sky BS. Chelsea is an example of how shit not an example of so good they can only get to mid table. Ensemble of overpaid misfits.

19 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Adams and Armstrong were prolific in the Championship. Does that confirm the gulf between Premier League and the Prem?

Confirming my regular comment  that the gap between the top of the Championship, and the bottom of the Prem.  is ENORMOUS.

Aside from the 33% British players  (who may / may not be in their national teams), the vast majority of non-British players in the Prem. are

established internationals for their respective homelands, and way above the standard of the average Championship player.

We end up with a small group of "jo-jo clubs" ..who are too good for the Championship, but who are totally out of their depth in the

" best league in the World " ,  and are then relegated again in one / two years .... and the cycle continues. 

22 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Armstrong's confidence has gone. Drop him down a division and there is no guarantee he will hit the ground running and score goals. He'll have more time and perhaps a few more chances, but unless he gets back into the `I can't miss' frame of mind, that won't be enough. 

• 3 weeks later...

Sellés on Arsenal: "We are going to try and press them and win the balls high as possible to win the game. I don't make my lineup in terms of whatever anyone else thinks. It's not about one No 9, it's about putting people in situations."

more if the same as expected .. only situation he’s putting us in will be relegation