West Ham 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Convict Colony

From a footballing perspective, it is likely to be dull. From an impact on either team’s season, it will be anything but. It’s not entirely win or don’t survive but it would leave us with tougher games on paper to need to win. A draw would be good but to get out of this mess, a win is vital. 

It's another game where we'll end up being on the end of the wrong result. It's a typical relegation season if you look at it, get surprising results against the teams you don't expect to get them against, but then throw it down the pisser in the games you have to be targeting. Even Fulham raised their games against the bigger sides when they tried, but failed, to stay up a few years ago. (Winning away at Liverpool for .e.g).

As you saw against Leeds, Wolves etc - these are different games for us and we don't seem to have an idea of how to manage them. In these games we let these sides have too much of the game and ultimately the better quality comes to the fore. It's a strange season in that respect, as there is a lot of quality in the bottom half (Maddison, Rice, Harvey Barnes, Daka, Tilliemans, Soucek, Bamford, Zaha etc etc). The teams you'd expect to be down there, who have less quality on paper (Brighton, Brentford, Fulham etc) are well clear. That's why we're struggling big time imo.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It's another game where we'll end up being on the end of the wrong result. It's a typical relegation season if you look at it, get surprising results against the teams you don't expect to get them against, but then throw it down the pisser in the games you have to be targeting. Even Fulham raised their games against the bigger sides when they tried, but failed, to stay up a few years ago. (Winning away at Liverpool for .e.g).

As you saw against Leeds, Wolves etc - these are different games for us and we don't seem to have an idea of how to manage them. In these games we let these sides have too much of the game and ultimately the better quality comes to the fore. It's a strange season in that respect, as there is a lot of quality in the bottom half (Maddison, Rice, Harvey Barnes, Daka, Tilliemans, Soucek, Bamford, Zaha etc etc). The teams you'd expect to be down there, who have less quality on paper (Brighton, Brentford, Fulham etc) are well clear. That's why we're struggling big time imo.

I agree that the teams down with us, should be much higher up than they are. The less quality teams you mention have the qualities that we don't have. Namely, commitment, hard working and decent organisation. They have the desire in matches that we just don't have. On Wednesday, Brentford didn't do us with any great play. They simple knew how to play against us, and were just tactical better than us. We all knew that once they scored it was pretty much game over. 

44 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Going to buck the trend of negativity and predict a win. Bournemouth will nick a point at home to Fulham, West Ham will go bottom of the league and Moyes will get sacked in the tunnel after the game.

Not sure about the rest but I’m going for the win. Not pretty but a win.

Going to predict West Ham 3-0 Saints.

I think it will go exactly as it did under Mark Hughes, we played them after an international break that season.

They’ll come out of the traps flying, we’ll probably forget how to play football for 2 weeks. 
Despite the comeback yesterday, I found it really hard to celebrate given we’re 20th and rooted to the bottom.

Edited by nta786
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, nta786 said:

Going to predict West Ham 3-0 Saints.

I think it will go exactly as it did under Mark Hughes, we played them after an international break that season.

They’ll come out of the traps flying, we’ll probably forget how to play football for 2 weeks. 
Despite the comeback yesterday, I found it really hard to celebrate given we’re 20th and rooted to the bottom.

We Are Doomed Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

On 19/03/2023 at 09:08, Daft Kerplunk said:

From a footballing perspective, it is likely to be dull. From an impact on either team’s season, it will be anything but. It’s not entirely win or don’t survive but it would leave us with tougher games on paper to need to win. A draw would be good but to get out of this mess, a win is vital. 

Draws are no use, particularly against rivals. Need wins now.

• Like 2

On 19/03/2023 at 10:44, skintsaint said:

Loss all over it. Easy money on a home win. Yesterday's late goals won't paper over how shit we are when it comes to the crunch games.

I look forward to you posting a pic of your betting slip showing the amount of confidence you have on it being "easy money".  How much are you planning to bet? 

• Like 2

This is the team to beat WHU on Saturday's showing;

Bazunu

Walker Peters - Bednarek - ABK - Salisu

Ward Prowse -Lavia

Walcott - Alcaraz - Sulemana

Mara

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Not sure which CBs will be available. I'd like the same shape, we need a win not a draw and we created chances with the 4222:

Bazunu

KWP    ?    Salisu   Perraud

JWP    Lavia

Stu                         Alcaraz

Walcott     Adams

With Sulemana and Mara coming off the bench, where they had an impact last match against tired legs.

• Like 2

Bazunu

KWP     DCC    Salisu   Perraud

Lavia    JWP

Sulemana    Alcaraz     Walcott

Adams

However we all know there will be a place for Elyounoussi

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

55 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I expect some of our moron fans to boo Ings, then cry when he scores a brace and cups his ear to the away fans

Why is that specific to ‘our moron fans’? That’s pretty bog standard for the majority of players returning to play against any former clubs and the reception they receive. 

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Bazunu

Lavia    JWP

Adams

this right here. Mara in for Walcott at 60 min.

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Bazunu

Ward Prowse -Lavia

Mara

If all are fit yes, think Bednarek (broken ribs) and ABK (dislocated shoulder) will be pretty unlikely starters. Bednarek's injury couldn't have been predicted, but probably should have been punished unless it was purely accidental, they didn't show the replay. ABK however was the opposite if it is the same shoulder as before, the club could have withdrawn him from the Germany world cup squad and he should have had the surgery. Could have been a win, win he was unlikely to get game time and it him allowed plenty of recovery time, the chosen option was a loose, loose for ABK and Saints.

So options are Salisu, Caleta Carr and the brazil nut as CB's, my preference retain two of those three and Perruad at full back. Salisu at left back really hasn't worked that well, he looks uncomfortable, gaps appear and attacking output is limited on the left. Midfield and upfront I agree except I do not know if Mara is better used as an impact sub after Che has tired out the opposition, guess that probably is a better option as Mara could probably do a job replacing any of those behind the front striker if needed and I am not sure Che could.

Edited by HnycS

Well one positive we all largely seem to agree on the best team and that says something right there! For me the biggest surprise is seeing Walcott in everybody's line up, who could have called that at the beginning of March! No doubt someone will have a post predicting a Theo resurgence but I for one certainly didn't see that one coming!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HnycS said:

If all are fit yes, think Bednarek (broken ribs) and ABK (dislocated shoulder) will be pretty unlikely starters. Bednarek's injury couldn't have been predicted, but probably should have been punished unless it was purely accidental, they didn't show the replay. ABK however was the opposite if it is the same shoulder as before, the club could have withdrawn him from the Germany world cup squad and he should have had the surgery. Could have been a win, win he was unlikely to get game time and it him allowed plenty of recovery time, the chosen option was a loose, loose for ABK and Saints.

So options are Salisu, Caleta Carr and the brazil nut as CB's, my preference retain two of those three and Perruad at full back. Salisu at left back really hasn't worked that well, he looks uncomfortable, gaps appear and attacking output is limited on the left. Midfield and upfront I agree except I do not know if Mara is better used as an impact sub after Che has tired out the opposition, guess that probably is a better option as Mara could probably do a job replacing any of those behind the front striker if needed and I am not sure Che could.

Was ABK not given the choice of surgery or go to the world cup? I don't think it would have gone down very well with ABK if the club had overruled him. Similar to the Pogba situation, where he should have had the operation, but chose not to. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

Why is that specific to ‘our moron fans’? That’s pretty bog standard for the majority of players returning to play against any former clubs and the reception they receive. 

Because the booing is unwarranted for what he bought to the team, and likely prevented us from a much earlier relegation than this season. Just because he could see the writing was on the wall and didn’t want to sign a new deal.

42 minutes ago, Boris Karloff said:

Was ABK not given the choice of surgery or go to the world cup? I don't think it would have gone down very well with ABK if the club had overruled him. Similar to the Pogba situation, where he should have had the operation, but chose not to. 

Yes agreed, none of us know how that conversation went, and I guess if I were him I would have wanted to take the chance also, a professional career can be short and/or over in a instant. Just a shame it hasn't really worked out well for either party. Germany were poor and I am not sure if ABK got any actual game time? Easy with hindsight but he could have skipped a few weeks in the desert and been an important part of the great escape!

Instead the wheels came off against Spurs or he got caught in the barbed wire if you like!

3 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Bazunu

Lavia    JWP

Adams

Seems the obvious team if we want to try and win it and score some goals 

I appreciate the opinion of others and kind of understand those that say it will not be a disaster if we draw. But, with 10 games left the time has come I think, to stop thinking like this. If we win, we have gotten a massive jump over them and taken 3 points away from a relegation rival. It also takes pressure of the team to have to win harder games. In my opinion, this simply is a must win. A defeat and we are down. A draw and we have made no progress and just got ourselves a harder task with one less game.

I think we need at least 4 more wins.I think 36-37 will be needed to stay up. We need to win THIS game.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, HnycS said:

ABK however was the opposite if it is the same shoulder as before, the club could have withdrawn him from the Germany world cup squad and he should have had the surgery. Could have been a win, win he was unlikely to get game time and it him allowed plenty of recovery time, the chosen option was a loose, loose for ABK and Saints.

I think the recovery time from shoulder surgery is quite lengthy, though. IIRC Theo Walcott was out for about four months when he had it done at Arsenal.

The club hedged their bets with Bella-Kotchap and crossed their fingers that his dislocation was a freak one off. But as it seems like there's a big weakness there now, it'll have to be fixed. Don't expect to see him again this season.

18 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Bazunu

Lavia    JWP

Adams

Its what we all want but won't get

• Like 1

12 hours ago, qwertyell said:

I think the recovery time from shoulder surgery is quite lengthy, though. IIRC Theo Walcott was out for about four months when he had it done at Arsenal.

The club hedged their bets with Bella-Kotchap and crossed their fingers that his dislocation was a freak one off. But as it seems like there's a big weakness there now, it'll have to be fixed. Don't expect to see him again this season.

Wrong, club wanted the op. ABK didn’t as he wanted to participate in the world cup.

On 20/03/2023 at 16:16, Luke SkyWalker-Peters said:

Not sure which CBs will be available. I'd like the same shape, we need a win not a draw and we created chances with the 4222:

Bazunu

KWP    ?    Salisu   Perraud

JWP    Lavia

Stu                         Alcaraz

Walcott     Adams

With Sulemana and Mara coming off the bench, where they had an impact last match against tired legs.

AMN? Didn’t look too out of place at CB v Spurs?

Go into this one with a bit of hope, given the fact we seem to be slightly more comfortable away from home when teams need to come at us…team pretty much picks itself IMO, unless anyone is injured, but you’d think with the break most if not all, will be fit.

Bazunu; KWP Bednarek ABK Perraud; Lavia JWP; Walcott Alcaraz Sulemena; Adams

Personally I’d quite like Salisu in for Bednarek, but doesn’t make a massive difference. Maybe Sulemena might be a better option off the bench, and wouldn’t be unhappy with Stuey or Elyounoussi instead. 

Looks like Janny B is fit for Polands upcoming game. Must be a miracle !! Played well over the last few games for us, a good organiser and also stopped slaughtering the keeper constantly. Still dont trust the guy though. He's playing for his future elsewhere in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, saintoaks said:

Looks like Janny B is fit for Polands upcoming game. Must be a miracle !! Played well over the last few games for us, a good organiser and also stopped slaughtering the keeper constantly. Still dont trust the guy though. He's playing for his future elsewhere in my opinion. 

Apparently he will play with a pain killing injection for Poland. Chance he plays for Poland, makes the rib injury worse and cannot play for the rest of the season? Would that be in the category of blessing in disguise or not?

On 20/03/2023 at 14:21, Charlie Wayman said:

Bazunu

Ward Prowse -Lavia

Mara

You are dropping Adams for a player that has scored zero goals in the premier league? big call. 

If ever there was a definitive must win game, this is it. A win would be a massive boost as it truly would put control of our survival in our hands rather than other teams. Problem is Wet Spam are a bogey team…difficult to break down. And then there’s the Ings factor. Dreading the DCC and Salisu combo. Hope Selles is at the top of his game tactically.

0-1 to Saints. Please!

On 20/03/2023 at 17:49, sfc4prem said:

We've been saying this for a while. The coffin is being readied, very unlikely we escape this time.

Not only that we've already chosen the burial site and paid the fees 

1 hour ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

If ever there was a definitive must win game, this is it. A win would be a massive boost as it truly would put control of our survival in our hands rather than other teams. Problem is Wet Spam are a bogey team…difficult to break down. And then there’s the Ings factor. Dreading the DCC and Salisu combo. Hope Selles is at the top of his game tactically.

0-1 to Saints. Please!

Why are you dreading a possible Salisu and DCC combination, if that's who line up.   Both very good CBs.

• Like 2

West Ham are 16th in the current home form table and we are 9th in the away form table. Bookies have 3/1 for the draw and 4/1 for the away win which are the sort of odds we would expect if a lower league side were playing away at a top six club but West Ham are two places and one point above us ffs

2 hours ago, austsaint said:

Why are you dreading a possible Salisu and DCC combination, if that's who line up.   Both very good CBs.

It's not just about the individuals though - it's about how they work together as a pairing, the time they spend together playing in a specific system with specific tactics, the time they spend playing Premiership level games.  Then there's the prospect of only having Lyanco on the bench.  Hope they're fantastic because there's a very good chance they will be our CB pairing for the remainder of the season and instrumental in keeping us up or not.  There's a reason they've not been selected over Bednarek and ABK - why do you think that is?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

West Ham are 16th in the current home form table and we are 9th in the away form table. Bookies have 3/1 for the draw and 4/1 for the away win which are the sort of odds we would expect if a lower league side were playing away at a top six club but West Ham are two places and one point above us ffs

If I was a betting man I’d put a few quid on the away win.

• Lighthouse changed the title to West Ham v Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to West Ham 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic