West Ham 1-0 Saints - Match Thread

Convict Colony

3 hours ago, JRM said:

So no ABK, Salisu and Adams are doubtful from what I hear, do we try AMN at centre back again? 

I think Adams is a big miss if he does miss out, not sure if we go with Tall Paul , Armstrong or Mara 

Che would be a big miss. He may not have the finishing touch, but he does stir the pot better than anyone else we have up front.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

Since Selles took charge we’ve played 6 league games. 2 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses. If we maintain that form over the next ten games that suggests 13.3 points. 13 points gets us to 36 in total. If we keep doing what we’re doing it could be enough. Saints have an ‘average’ difficulty run in, according to stats I saw in the week. Palace and Leicester are the teams with the easy run in. It’s tough, and 36 might not do it, but if we get a big lift (like a win on Sunday) then the confidence boost could be enough. 

Anfield have a motto written above the gates. For Saints it would be: 

“It’s the hope that kills you”

COYS

What makes an "easy run in"? 9 of the Palace games are against teams in the relegation mix. Assessing their run in based on opposition league position is less sensible at the end of the season. These teams will be fighting tooth and nail so no easy games there.

I'd rather play a team that's got not much to play for 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Highfield Saint said:

What makes an "easy run in"? 9 of the Palace games are against teams in the relegation mix. Assessing their run in based on opposition league position is less sensible at the end of the season. These teams will be fighting tooth and nail so no easy games there.

I'd rather play a team that's got not much to play for 

I agree. Playing Fulham after they'd dropped away from the European places having missed Mitrovich and don't have much to play for would be ideal. That game is our third last of the season. 

What I was trying to make clear to the Eyores on the board was that our run in is not as ridiculous as some think.

On 30/03/2023 at 10:24, JRM said:

I'm afraid the table will look even worse after this weekend ,

Bournemouth to beat Fulham who are missing a few suspended 

Forest to get at least a point v Wolves 

Palace v Leicester- one or both of our rivals to pick up at least a point 

Everton to get at least a point against rudderless Spurs 

West Ham will beat us 2-0 , Ings with at least one of them , we'll gift them one 

Following a predictable pattern unfortunately 

Current form has us with one win and two draws in the last 5. Replicate that over the remaining games and we'll finish on 33 points. Not enough.

Can't see us getting out of it myself but a win tomorrow might just get the optimistic juices flowing. Anything less than 3 points will probably not be enough - unless the plan is to win against Man City instead of course.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, obelisk said:

Current form has us with one win and two draws in the last 5. Replicate that over the remaining games and we'll finish on 33 points. Not enough.

Can't see us getting out of it myself but a win tomorrow might just get the optimistic juices flowing. Anything less than 3 points will probably not be enough - unless the plan is to win against Man City instead of course.

Our form is 8 points from 6 and there's 10 games to go. On current form we get 13 points - which gives us a decent chance of staying up....

5 hours ago, obelisk said:

Of course that is the plan! Tcch lose to the shit teams and beat the good ones! this is the way....🙏

10 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I'm actually pretty nervous now. We've got to somehow get a result.

If Onuachu is starting which it sounds like he will be, hopefully we've been practising our crosses. Perraud in particular.

Very little chance of a win, and we are already as good as down.

Mad Nate's spell killed an already tough season.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Going by recent Athletic articles things had deteriorated hugely under Ralph’s tenure

Meaning a new manager coming in in November, with a mini pre-Season, more than half a season and a transfer window to go had a wonderful opportunity to turn it round.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

I don’t know, but playing them at their place maybe just what helps us. 

Get their crowd on their backs early doors and giving DM a bit and there’s a good a chance of 3 points. 

Our only problem will be sticking it in the onion bag. 

Past their custodian/glovesman presumably?🙂

• Haha 1

Providing Adams and Salisu don't make it.

Bazunu; KWP, Bednarek, DCC, Perraud; Lavia, JWP; Alcaraz, Walcott, Sulemena; Onuachu.

Would probably stick Mara up top if it was any team other than West Ham. Need a bit more height in that side. Can see an argument for Elyounoussi instead of Sulemena but we have City and Arsenal coming up so we really have to win this game. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Meaning a new manager coming in in November, with a mini pre-Season, more than half a season and a transfer window to go had a wonderful opportunity to turn it round.

Yep I agree. Still can’t for the life of me work out what Ankersen was doing. You only had to talk to Jones for two minutes to realise how unsuited he was. Makes me think there was another angle but perhaps I shouldn’t go there. 

14 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Yep I agree. Still can’t for the life of me work out what Ankersen was doing. You only had to talk to Jones for two minutes to realise how unsuited he was. Makes me think there was another angle but perhaps I shouldn’t go there. 

Go there - I like a good conspiracy theory 

• Like 1

We have a bad record at West ham (no surprises huh) so fully expecting Antonio to crop up and have the last laugh... That said if we are at our best we can beat them! It's a big if though 

11 years ago todays Jonno Quick stepped up and scored two goals to turn around a 2 goal deficit on our way to a 3-2 win v MK dons. That was the start of our unstoppable run to promotion. Who is going to be todays hero?

• Lighthouse changed the title to West Ham v Saints - Match Thread
  • Jimmy_D changed the title to West Ham 1-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic