Time to unleash Onuachu?

Fraser Spinney

Just released this article which looked at the plan Sellés put together which worked very well for 44 minutes against Manchester City but argues that it is time to compromise some of our focus on what we do out of possession in order to be more threatening in attack. Does that mean unleashing Onuachu? Let me know what you think!

https://analyticsunited.co.uk/2023/04/12/saints-must-take-the-handbrake-off/

a while back another striker who we signed but barely got a look in made himself a hero. With saints battling for their lives this time to make the top two and promotion looking unlikely as we trailed 2-0 to promotion rival up stepped this saints legend and with two quick goals turned the game on its head, put himself into saints folklore and the course of our history as we went on to win 3-2 and send us on an unstoppable run to promotion. Now with our need similar but circumstances very different we need a new hero. Could he be the new Jonno Quick?

I don't think Selles is good enough to have a Plan B.

His comments to Jacob after the city game show that 

He only views Paul as a tall No9 who plays down the middle with his back to goal.

Somebody should show him the highlights to the game against liverpoo in Koemans 2nd season, where they played us off the park in the 1st half and were lucky to be only 2 down at the break. (a number of sides Brentford, palace .. etc) play that way now. Pick off the poor pass in midfield and counter attack with PACE and POWER.

Ronald changed the way we played in the 2nd half, he pulled Pelle deeper and put 3 or 4 players (Davis, JWP, Long etc around him (10 yards away) and pushed our quickest player (Mane) up on their last defender.  Liverpoo were still expecting us to try and play through them and pick us off as they had done in the 1st half, but we played "Route One" into Pelle's chest and then played short passes to the players around him.
The highlights are here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBdxVWSUBRY 
The 2nd goal :- Fonte bypasses the midfield and their press, straight up to Pelle in a deep position with 4 players playing very narrow around him, is what I'm talking about.
We should have a Plan B for 60+ mins in a game with Tall Paul playing deeper and 3 or 4 around him, playing route one football into his chest  etc.
However I don't think Selles is good enough to see what Ronald did in 2016. 
  • Like 3

The lad can’t be happy coming here and just sitting on the bench he hasn’t really had a chance or any decent service. If he doesn’t play him tonight then Selles is just too stubborn which I think we see already they had better be all over it and playing like their possessed.

Edited by STEVEADAMS
  • Like 1

On 13/04/2023 at 12:36, Saint_John said:
I don't think Selles is good enough to have a Plan B.

His comments to Jacob after the city game show that 

He only views Paul as a tall No9 who plays down the middle with his back to goal.

Somebody should show him the highlights to the game against liverpoo in Koemans 2nd season, where they played us off the park in the 1st half and were lucky to be only 2 down at the break. (a number of sides Brentford, palace .. etc) play that way now. Pick off the poor pass in midfield and counter attack with PACE and POWER.

Ronald changed the way we played in the 2nd half, he pulled Pelle deeper and put 3 or 4 players (Davis, JWP, Long etc around him (10 yards away) and pushed our quickest player (Mane) up on their last defender.  Liverpoo were still expecting us to try and play through them and pick us off as they had done in the 1st half, but we played "Route One" into Pelle's chest and then played short passes to the players around him.
The highlights are here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBdxVWSUBRY 
The 2nd goal :- Fonte bypasses the midfield and their press, straight up to Pelle in a deep position with 4 players playing very narrow around him, is what I'm talking about.
We should have a Plan B for 60+ mins in a game with Tall Paul playing deeper and 3 or 4 around him, playing route one football into his chest  etc.
However I don't think Selles is good enough to see what Ronald did in 2016. 

Referencing how we played with Pelle is pointless. Pelle was superb, and tall Paul has shown none of his qualities - he's a big lad who can play down the middle with his back to goal. He has no pace, his movement is poor, he rarely jumps, and hasn't shown himself as someone who'll hold the ball up and bring others into the game.  It's not that Telles isn't good enough to play him in a different way, it's that tall Paul isn't good enough to offer any more.

I know that we're desperate, but expecting this lad to morph into a player that he isn't, is an expectation too far. 

• Like 2

Onuachu doesn't play down the middle with his back to goal. What he is good at which is evidenced by most of the goals he has scored and his header against West Ham, he hangs around the penalty area and spots the cross and gets across the defender first to the ball. Play him and it's down the wings towards the byeline and hit crosses away from the goalkeeper and get him on the end of them. Far better than passing it around in our own last third for Bazunu to be left with no alternative but have to chip it hopefully up the field. that's why we are where we are.

• Like 6

To play Onuachu as an old fashioned centre forward would require Selles to adopt a very un-Spanish way of playing with wide wing play. His decision to not use Edozie is a clear demonstration that that is not his preference.

Personally, I would love us to explore this as an option - even if only as a plan B. If we played this way we could utilise Sulemana and Edozie together with the wing backs to create openings to cross to Onuachu in the centre.

On the other hand, I also think we could explore using Dom Ballard. He is good at creating and finding space in front of goal and would be a bit of an unknown entity for opposing teams. 

We certainly need to explore some alternative striking options. Always doing the same thing is not going to deliver anything different!!

1 hour ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

To play Onuachu as an old fashioned centre forward would require Selles to adopt a very un-Spanish way of playing with wide wing play. His decision to not use Edozie is a clear demonstration that that is not his preference.

Personally, I would love us to explore this as an option - even if only as a plan B. If we played this way we could utilise Sulemana and Edozie together with the wing backs to create openings to cross to Onuachu in the centre.

On the other hand, I also think we could explore using Dom Ballard. He is good at creating and finding space in front of goal and would be a bit of an unknown entity for opposing teams. 

We certainly need to explore some alternative striking options. Always doing the same thing is not going to deliver anything different!!

Wing play is NJ’s ball

52 minutes ago, Tommy said:

Another outstanding cameo from the winner of the “be a premier league player” raffle

Surely someone must have seen him play or was he bought on cameos from video clips.

So far, as far as I can see, he is in the Ali Dia and Carillo mould and on course to be a £20m flop.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

In fairness he wasn't the problem. He can't do much when Bednarek and JWP pass it between themselves for most of the match

Bednarek has a slow brain and ha can’t do long passes. JWP show for him in midfield but then pings the ball straight back first time without even taking a touch or looking around first.

What we need is a central midfielder who can drop short for the ball and then turn and drive us forward. We don’t have one.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

In fairness he wasn't the problem. He can't do much when Bednarek and JWP pass it between themselves for most of the match

Not sure if you noticed (I could only see via TV tbf), but we spent a good % of that game firing long balls to Aribo and Theo to try and get them down the channels - yet they never came off.

We then put on a 6 ft 7 inch striker and reverted to tippy tappy crab football between the back 4, and didn't really put it 'in the mixer'. I'm just confused. Are these players genuinely that dim?

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We then put on a 6 ft 7 inch striker and reverted to tippy tappy crab football between the back 4, and didn't really put it 'in the mixer'. I'm just confused. Are these players genuinely that dim?

The thing I noticed was Tall Paul was isolated, with the other attacking players hugging the touch line when the back 4 or keeper had the ball. This indicated to me that the mincing around at the back was a tactical thing as opposed to the players thinking for themselves. Surely if he’s playing you need a quick player up with him,  & JWP further forward. You can then knock long straight and diagonal balls up to him. A flick on and the quick player chases it, a defensive header impeded by Tall Paul drops around the area Prowse can have a dig. Wolves home was horrendous second half, but first half it worked quite well. They’ll obviously be some aimless punts that go straight through to the keeper or into touch, but id rather  that than watching the slow slow mincing around. IF we’re going to play Tall Paul, we need to play different tactics, playing the same way we did with a false nine is madness and it makes Tall Paul look an absolute dummy.

If relegation expert Fat Sam had walked into the club when Jones left, do you think he’d be playing this way, of course not. He’d sort out the back 4 and then set up to get a tune out of Tall Paul, we’ve got enough nippy skilful runners to latch onto his flicks, and we’ve got JWP to have a go if it gets half cleared from the mixer. Not pretty, but fucking hell we’re not exactly Miss World at the moment. 

• Like 7

On 15/04/2023 at 08:37, egg said:

Referencing how we played with Pelle is pointless. Pelle was superb, and tall Paul has shown none of his qualities - he's a big lad who can play down the middle with his back to goal. He has no pace, his movement is poor, he rarely jumps, and hasn't shown himself as someone who'll hold the ball up and bring others into the game.  It's not that Telles isn't good enough to play him in a different way, it's that tall Paul isn't good enough to offer any more.

I know that we're desperate, but expecting this lad to morph into a player that he isn't, is an expectation too far. 

You are missing my point. I am not comparing the players I am saying the SYSTEM is wrong for him. 
It is all down to our clueless coach who doesn't know how to use a big No9.
Yesterday he put him up front on his own and kept the 2 wide players 30 YARDS away from him on either wing. Those 2 players should have been within 10 yards of him (playing very narrow) with Saints quickest player making a run behind him for any flick ons, as per Koeman in those 2nd half of that game.  

I believe there is a player in Onuachu if used correctly.

The problem is our clueless coach. Remember he came in this season under Ralph and in the 1st home game of the season v Leeds we started with a back 3 and they were marking ZONES for leeds first goal (45 secs into highlights  https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-08-13/highlights-southampton-leeds-united-premier-league-2022    ) while the one leeds forward was allowed to run across them without being marked. After 70mins we changed to a back 4, Ralph PREFERED system and managed to get a point from the game. That should have been the LAST TIME we played 3 at the back but we were still trying it against forest (for 81 mins) on 4 Jan.

Don't write off Onuachu yet. The way Selles uses him we would need 13 players on the pitch just to match their 11
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, Saint_John said:
You are missing my point. I am not comparing the players I am saying the SYSTEM is wrong for him. 
It is all down to our clueless coach who doesn't know how to use a big No9.
Yesterday he put him up front on his own and kept the 2 wide players 30 YARDS away from him on either wing. Those 2 players should have been within 10 yards of him (playing very narrow) with Saints quickest player making a run behind him for any flick ons, as per Koeman in those 2nd half of that game.  

I believe there is a player in Onuachu if used correctly.

The problem is our clueless coach. Remember he came in this season under Ralph and in the 1st home game of the season v Leeds we started with a back 3 and they were marking ZONES for leeds first goal (45 secs into highlights  https://www.southamptonfc.com/news/2022-08-13/highlights-southampton-leeds-united-premier-league-2022    ) while the one leeds forward was allowed to run across them without being marked. After 70mins we changed to a back 4, Ralph PREFERED system and managed to get a point from the game. That should have been the LAST TIME we played 3 at the back but we were still trying it against forest (for 81 mins) on 4 Jan.

Don't write off Onuachu yet. The way Selles uses him we would need 13 players on the pitch just to match their 11

I didn't miss your point. Pelle worked in the system you described as he was Pelle. I don't think that Onuachu would work in that system because he's not good enough. I think Selles is using him in the right way, ie coming off the bench when what's on the pitch isn't working.

As for Selles being useless, I think him, Onuachu, various other players, the ownership, the scouts, the board, are all out of their depth. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, egg said:

I think Selles is using him in the right way, ie coming off the bench when what's on the pitch isn't working.

I agree with this, but when he is brought on, the players need to adjust what they do - i.e. go longer and a bit more hopeful and a little less measured.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The thing I noticed was Tall Paul was isolated, with the other attacking players hugging the touch line when the back 4 or keeper had the ball. This indicated to me that the mincing around at the back was a tactical thing as opposed to the players thinking for themselves. Surely if he’s playing you need a quick player up with him,  & JWP further forward. You can then knock long straight and diagonal balls up to him. A flick on and the quick player chases it, a defensive header impeded by Tall Paul drops around the area Prowse can have a dig. Wolves home was horrendous second half, but first half it worked quite well. They’ll obviously be some aimless punts that go straight through to the keeper or into touch, but id rather  that than watching the slow slow mincing around. IF we’re going to play Tall Paul, we need to play different tactics, playing the same way we did with a false nine is madness and it makes Tall Paul look an absolute dummy.

If relegation expert Fat Sam had walked into the club when Jones left, do you think he’d be playing this way, of course not. He’d sort out the back 4 and then set up to get a tune out of Tall Paul, we’ve got enough nippy skilful runners to latch onto his flicks, and we’ve got JWP to have a go if it gets half cleared from the mixer. Not pretty, but fucking hell we’re not exactly Miss World at the moment. 

Exactly right. Also, what Newcastle did to escape last year.

We must have known how he would need to be used when we signed him. It's not exactly a subtle intrigue. Yet the coach doesn't want to use him. Suggests dysfunctional club.

Edited by benjii

Onuachu is absolutely hopeless. His touch is embarrassing, and doesn’t look like he’s capable of making a 5 yard pass. I’m all for lobbing him on towards the end, and sticking some balls in the box, but I cannot believe we spent £18m on the bloke. He’s worse than Carrillo. 

• Like 2