The 2024 General Election - July 4th

sadoldgit

The corrupt Robert Jenrick has resigned from being Immigration Minister as the updated Rwanda Bill does not go 'far enough'. The Bill orders the Courts that 'certain key elements' of Human Rights Law should be ignored - yet the Government expects Rwanda will comply faithfully with the new agreement.

Edited by badgerx16

1 hour ago, rallyboy said:

Maybe it's just me but I wasn't drawn to look at any of the words on that front page.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose, but I think Trinny Woodall looks like a botoxed old twig. But you do you 👍

Edited by The Kraken
  • Haha 3

Nothing says “position of power” more than a 5 foot 4 jug eared posh boy going on national tv and acting like a spoilt brat over his ridiculous plan to bypass national and international laws. He’s an absolutely small man in literally everything he’s ever done, his major achievement in life was to marry someone rich and use her money to heat his swimming pool.

Just hope they don’t break literally everything before they get booted out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, whelk said:

What was the announcement?

Point by point desperately, almost pleading, explaining how the new Bill addresses all the issues with the previous incarnation. The Press didn't seem convinced.

Assuming it gets through the HoC, let's see how the Courts deal with being told to ignore the Law.

Edited by badgerx16

3 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

£240 million pounds handed over to Rwanda so far, another £50 million due next year, and a grand total of 0 people transported there. Yet these are supposed to be the party that can be trusted with the public purse strings.

The entire thing is absolutely ridiculous. Even those who would like to see significant action taken over illegal immigration will surely admit that this is not the way to do anything. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

£240 million pounds handed over to Rwanda so far, another £50 million due next year, and a grand total of 0 people transported there. Yet these are supposed to be the party that can be trusted with the public purse strings.

The legal bills would put the total cost nearer to a nice round £300 million. 

• Like 1

How deluded is the ERG - Rwanda details being looked over by a ‘Star Chamber’. At least the One Nation group has a bit more heft in legal matters including an Attorney General. Cash is a qualified solicitor from the 60s but come on, this a whole different ball game. It’s like saying that Barrow’s centre forward and Haaland are both professional footballers. Braverman does have some expertise and knows the detail but isn’t trusted becuase she can’t override the extremely partisan part of her brain, eg 90% of it. She also has a huge axe to grind with Sunak.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67656496

Grim for Rishi - the outcomes are either highly damaging beyond recovery as he hangs on or an instant GE and big Labour majority. The party is in a worse state than the 1990s and the economy was doing far better under Clarke and Major as well. They are probably better off just calling it quits and starting rebuilding long-term in opposition with the aim of leading say a minority government by 2034/5 given the damage to their brand and ideas. In Saints terms, this is Nathan Jones and the Wolves home game. 

Starmer and Reeves need to be ready to take over and be on top of this issue straight away.

Edited by Gloucester Saint
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

I'd argue 'ranking tory party fuckups' isn't really a Christmas party game.  We've all lived through them, I suspect even charades with blind relatives would be more fun than recounting the incompetencies.

Somebody doesn't agree with Rishi's assessment of Rwanda ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-67669187

"The Democratic Republic of Congo's leader has taken his rhetorical attacks on his Rwandan counterpart to another level by comparing him to Adolf Hitler.

Félix Tshisekedi said Paul Kagame was behaving like Hitler, and added: "I promise he will end up like Hitler."

8 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

Somebody doesn't agree with Rishi's assessment of Rwanda ;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-67669187

"The Democratic Republic of Congo's leader has taken his rhetorical attacks on his Rwandan counterpart to another level by comparing him to Adolf Hitler.

Félix Tshisekedi said Paul Kagame was behaving like Hitler, and added: "I promise he will end up like Hitler."

feck me, we have people in the UK comparing the Tory Party to Nazi's, almost daily.......not sure this sort of thing has any merit

Edited by AlexLaw76

6 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

feck me, we have people in the UK comparing the Tory Party to Nazi's, almost daily.......not sure this sort of thing has any merit

Fun fact: Hitler and his cronies never referred to themselves as "Nazis", as it is a Bavarian perjorative. term describing somebody as a thick peasant.

1 hour ago, warsash saint said:

Does Sunak actually thinks that anyone believes his bullshit on the missing Whatsapp messages!!???

It’s a bit pathetic really. If this was a criminal trial they’d all be up before the judge for refusing to provide / deleting their messages. Let’s not forget that they previously put in a legal bid to stop them being compelled to hand over messages. And now they expect us to believe that a) they didn’t know / couldn’t remember that they were supposed to keep all their messages, and b) in any case those messages are long gone because I switched phones, honest I did.

Everyone knows they’re lying, just the press can’t / won’t call them out on it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fan The Flames said:

They used WhatsApp because they wrongly concluded that as it wasn't an official form of communication they weren't bound by the same rules. Typical of this government to push the rules to breaking point.

So much of this enquiry revolves around the Cabinet Office - the unit responsible for IT and messaging policies and security.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weston Super Saint said:

Presumably WhatsApp was given the all clear as it is end to end encrypted?

But not so for messages sat on your phone. WhatsApp is owned by once of the worst organisations for cyber security. Why they were conducting official business like that is beyond me. 

Not to give an excuse, when I chopped to a new phone earlier on in the year, I lost all previous messages when loading WhatsApp on my new phone, despite my old device (in my possession) clearly stated the full back up was complete.

Edited by AlexLaw76

• Lighthouse changed the title to The 2024 General Election - July 4th