Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

• skintsaint changed the title to Carabao Cup
57 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Portsmouth away because it will be fun or Forest Green away for the new ground.

Need to win bragging rights back after last seasons defeat 

Loads of good potential trips, Sutton away would decent 

16 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Commonly referred to within the game as the Steve Grant derby. 

Absolutely guest of honour, Stevie G doing the coin toss in the centre circle pre-match , half and half Scarf 

Edited by JRM
  • Haha 1

• skintsaint changed the title to Carabao Cup - Gillingham Away
1 hour ago, davefizzy14 said:

Away to Gillingham, I'm happy with that. 

That away end might be more bearable in August, can't believe they're still using the scaffolding stand after all these years , plenty big away allocation so more than enough to go round 

Gillingham are like the Pompey of Kent. Absolute shit hole town filled with weirdos.

Didn't we play there in League 1? Seem to remember it pissing down, getting soaked in the open and then hiding under the stand for a bit.

21 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Gillingham are like the Pompey of Kent. Absolute shit hole town filled with weirdos.

Didn't we play there in League 1? Seem to remember it pissing down, getting soaked in the open and then hiding under the stand for a bit.

We did, May Bank Holiday in our first season in league one I think, remember drinking in Rochester I think, that seemed a nice place, left the game early with the rain don't think we had anything to play for? 

1 hour ago, JRM said:

We did, May Bank Holiday in our first season in league one I think, remember drinking in Rochester I think, that seemed a nice place, left the game early with the rain don't think we had anything to play for? 

Rochester is alright, it's where people from Gillingham claim to live if they want to sound a bit posher. Nearby Chatham is by far the worst place possibly on the planet. Full of the dregs of the dregs and birthplace of the term "chav"

12 hours ago, JRM said:

Yeah the season we were unfairly docked 10 points, we went on a really good run at the end but the -10 meant we couldn't make the playoffs by the time we played Gillingham and lost 2-1.

Rochester High Street is where the decent pubs are. 

10 hours ago, The Cat said:

Rochester is alright, it's where people from Gillingham claim to live if they want to sound a bit posher. Nearby Chatham is by far the worst place possibly on the planet. Full of the dregs of the dregs and birthplace of the term "chav"

The Medway towns, origin of the word Chav, but not really as bad as you make out, just an ordinary place with some nice areas and some shit ones.

11 hours ago, Southamptonsi said:

I live 10 mins from gillingham,  so will be going to this game.  Gillingham and Medway is a complete shit hole, not worth the visit.

Went to Gillingham / Medway twice for work. Accurate. 😄

11 hours ago, The Cat said:

I can vouch for this. I also lived in Portsmouth for a few years too so I know a shit hole when I see one. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Fan The Flames said:
8 hours ago, InvictaSaint said:

I'm West Malling, been up to watch Gillingham a few times over the years, the football has always been a bit crap, but interesting to see Ben Reeves a few times.

last year they got a new American owner and to be fair he has done a very good job.  They are on the up and will be serious contenders for promotion.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, sandwichsaint said:

Just looking at Gillingham tickets, tickets appear to be on the side? 

Have they moved the away end from the rickety scaffolding behind the goal?

I believe the stand behind the goal has pretty much sold out. It's still a "temporary" stand with no roof. The club have started selling two blocks on the side which does have a roof.

10 hours ago, Sfcphilc said:

I believe the stand behind the goal has pretty much sold out. It's still a "temporary" stand with no roof. The club have started selling two blocks on the side which does have a roof.

The allocation behind the goal has almost all gone, but for some reason we've only been given the front half of that stand (first 14 rows) , not sure why they didn't give us whole lot, that's the completely open scaffolding stand so hope it doesn't rain, they've now put on two blocks in the side stand that does have a low roof, probably better in there for making a bit of noise, can see the start of that one in this image. 

priestfield-stadium-gillingham-fc-brian-moore-stand-1417951592.jpg.9b38da5cdbbf0d72d6fd6c4091fceeb9.jpg