Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

2 hours ago, derry said:

Try the BBC Sound App and select Solent it might be on there.

1 hour ago, Graffito said:

Yes you’re right it’s the Sounds app and not IPlayer as I said above. However, you do need to change your location in settings should you live outside the region. 

Thanks, as it's EFL cup tonight I expect to have to use Talksport 2 for this match, but out of interest, did this work for the Sheffield Wednesday match?

I assumed a VPN would be needed to spoof location, rather than simply amend my location setting and have the BBC take my word for it! 😂 

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Already seen a woman with no teeth rooting through bags of donations left outside a charity shop in the high street. Compared to some of the other women around she seemed quite the catch!

No teeth you say…?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

McCarthy
Bree - Lyanco - Charles - Perraud
SAA - S. Armstrong - Meghoma - Djenepo
Mara - Adams

My best guess at it. SAA played a few times at 8 in pre-season but I have no real idea about Meghoma. 

Meghoma alongside Lyanco, with Charles in The Smallbone role from Friday is more likely.

McCarthy

Bree Lyanco meghoma Perraud

Charles

Armstrong.            Djenepo

SAA.        ADAMS.        Mara

Edited by Nolan
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

They posted and deleted it.

F3BtDgvXEAALETP?format=jpg&name=900x900

Have to assume Charles is in midfield, as there's no other natural CMs really. I'm guessing at a back five - Djenepo, Bree, Lyanco, Meghoma, Perraud.

Charles, Armstrong in the midfield with, perhaps, A-A in the 10. Adams and Mara up front. 5-3-2.

Doesn't look ideally balanced, but there we go.

Edit: I forgot Martin is supposed to favour 3-4-2-1. So: Bree, Lyanco, Meghoma (he's taller than Perraud) as the back three? Midfield four of Djenepo, Charles, Armstrong, Perraud. Amo-Amayew and Mara in a two. Then Adams. Something like that. Maybe.

Edited by qwertyell

2 minutes ago, Miltonaggro said:

Lots of interest there in terms of season overall. Will be good to see Perraud, Charles, Mara and yoof! Hope Che scores again. 

McCarthy keeps reappearing like a bad penny. Does this mean he's going to be our cup goalkeeper for the whole season? How depressing.

Just now, Nordic Saint said:

McCarthy keeps reappearing like a bad penny. Does this mean he's going to be our cup goalkeeper for the whole season? How depressing.

Depends on if a club comes in during the window I suppose. Joanna Lumley not been here long enough to get her size 11s under the table yet. Could be a battle of mediocrity. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Miltonaggro said:

Depends on if a club comes in during the window I suppose. Joanna Lumley not been here long enough to get her size 11s under the table yet. Could be a battle of mediocrity. 

Who on earth would come in for McCarthy??? We are the only club stupid enough to play him.

3 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’m not disagreeing, I’m just in denial 

I think JWP is off, but I wouldn’t say tonight’s lineup is any indication of it. Not one player in our starting XI tonight who started last Friday. The likes of Bazunu, KWP, JWP, Bednarek, Manning, Smallbone, Tella, AA not in the squad. Just an opportunity to get minutes into the legs of the squad players.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 3

Just now, The Kraken said:

I think JWPmis off,  ut I wouldn’t say tonight’s lineup is any indication of it. Not one player in our starting XI tonight who started last Friday. The likes of Bazunu, KWP, JWP, Bednarek, Manning, Smallbone, Tella, AA not in the squad. Just an opportunity to get minutes into the legs of the squad players.

Yep I wouldn't read too much into it IMO. Yes there's every possibility we could still lose JWP, Lavia, KWP, Sulemana, ABK, Tella, Adams and Perraud but I can't see all 8 players getting sold and anyway I don't think we'd care much about cup tying them for other teams. It's just we've put out a squad team that obvious Martin thinks will do the job against a (probably) weakened Gillingham.

5 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I think JWP is off, but I wouldn’t say tonight’s lineup is any indication of it. Not one player in our starting XI tonight who started last Friday. The likes of Bazunu, KWP, JWP, Bednarek, Manning, Smallbone, Tella, AA not in the squad. Just an opportunity to get minutes into the legs of the squad players.

not playing JWP and the other " new regulars" is a safety measure.  No-one wants to get crocked playing against a League Two side?

• Like 1

That looks a horrible defence in particular. Not sure exactly who is playing where which is never a good sign.

What's happened to Simeu. Is he just so lowly rated or about to be loaned out?

I assumed Aribo would start too since he came off the bench on friday. Strange he is only on the bench.

Edited by Baird of the land

Random thoughts - a b team which all non PL sides do; 46 game season so no point playing your first choices in a competition you’ll never win.
Assume Gillingham do likewise (as per their boss’ hilarious quote) it should still be enough.

Hoping it goes well enough to see Dibling, Doyle and Ballard.

Not reading anything into who isn’t in the squad from the first 11. We’re resting ArmA, Tella, Bazunu, KWP and Manning - not just JWP.

I think Meghoma might actually be utilized in midfield but I guess we’ll have to wait 30 minutes to be sure.

Why is Lyanco number 4 - I thought he got moved to 25? 
What number is Dibling? He wasn’t on the submitted list.

Is Gillingham REALLY as bad as everyone is suggesting?

That’ll do for now 

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic