Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

Was listening on the radio on the way back from training and then find I can't listen on online radio without signing in to yet another provider. I suppose I could always get back in the car..

Edit: hurrah, I found an old analogue radio..

second edit: wish I hadn't

Edited by suewhistle
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, manji said:

It’s obvious Martin is using this as a practice game. Clearly he will want to win but if we’d fielded a stronger team he wouldn’t have learnt much

Right now, I'd settle for actually winning some games, building momentum and getting some confidence back in the team. 'Learning' that some of our players aren't very good at the expense of being embarrassed and dumped out of the cup by a L2 side doesn't help us in the slightest.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, Saintsfan79 said:

3/1 is a steal for us to win this 😁

Not with the bench we've got its not. Aribo, Onuachu, Edozie... hardly going to cut it playing martinball vs a lower league team. Onuachu would get on the end of some crosses, long balls etc but we don't play that way. Alcaraz probably come on to get kicked off the pitch.

• Like 1

It's pretty clear McC, Bree, Lyanco Djenepo and Mara are nowhere near the standard required to trouble the top end of the Championship. If, at the very least, this game makes that clear to Martin and Wilcox then that's a positive. 

Edited by James
  • Like 4

Gills need only pump it long and high down our flank and we are struggling atm. They are winning first balls and every corner or free kick is very dangerous for us. We look static whilst they are all intent on putting the ball in back if net. Dare I say it our boys look somewhat overtrained and it’s only when they let loose with natural flair and aggression that anything of note happens. Ho hum. We should be able to score a couple second half but at this rate gills will NOT be run off their feet at the end because it’s been relatively comfortable for them. Fair do’s to them. Putting in a good performance. We, on the other hand, do not look pleasing on the eye. Disjointed. Such a let down after the promise of Friday tbh. 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

Right now, I'd settle for actually winning some games, building momentum and getting some confidence back in the team. 'Learning' that some of our players aren't very good at the expense of being embarrassed and dumped out of the cup by a L2 side doesn't help us in the slightest.

Last season, as per 

• Like 1

Poor first half. Bree has been awful and gave the ball away cheaply for the goal.

Perraud and Lyanco are CB's. Perraud has been bad in defence but stepped out with the ball nicely a couple of times.

Armstrong is at the centre of everything for us. AA done well on the right. 

Mara and Adams not done a lot up top. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Norm said:

So Portsmouth are losing. Sorry, how does that interest us?

If someone put a bunch of nuns on the matchday feed everyone is happy but I get pulled up for mentioning that p*mpey were losing a football match on a football forum. 

Edited by SotonianWill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, moonraker said:

75% according to BBC, still irrelevant if we don’t convert it.

Yep. Possession doesn't win games. Geeky stat - across all 23 of last weekends league 1 and 2 games, only 7 teams who had more possession won their games. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

Poor first half. Bree has been awful and gave the ball away cheaply for the goal.

Perraud and Lyanco are CB's. Perraud has been bad in defence but stepped out with the ball nicely a couple of times.

Armstrong is at the centre of everything for us. AA done well on the right. 

Mara and Adams not done a lot up top. 

Bree has been terrible. Gives the ball away in seriously dangerous areas.

• Like 2

Just now, James said:

Bree has been terrible. Gives the ball away in seriously dangerous areas.

Probably the most ill-suited full back, ever, to the inverted full back role. He is not a player who will add anything to us, needs shot of.

Lyanco is just Lyanco, a defender who can't defend and gets people excited by his 'passion', which is totally irrelevant if you're shit.

Forgotten how rubbish listening on the radio actually is with commentators biased to the underdog club and not actually helping the listener to visualise the game.

As for the football, this is how our season could pan out with lesser skilled but more ‘robust’ pressing teams finding us short. Let’s hope Martin rips ‘em a new one at half-time because they’re not doing a good job convincing the Manager they should be starting in the Championship. Well, apart from having really fucking great passing/possession stats.

This is a definite banana skin for these also rans.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Probably the most ill-suited full back, ever, to the inverted full back role. He is not a player who will add anything to us, needs shot of.

Lyanco is just Lyanco, a defender who can't defend and gets people excited by his 'passion', which is totally irrelevant if you're shit.

Actually unbelievable that Jones thought fit to bring him in as his statement of intent on the big stage. Moron. 

• Like 2

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Actually unbelievable that Jones thought fit to bring him in as his statement of intent on the big stage. Moron. 

He just brought him in as his mate, familiarity for him. Just infuriating that the club backed that, as he didn't fit anything we were trying to do.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. Possession doesn't win games. Geeky stat - across all 23 of last weekends league 1 and 2 games, only 7 teams who had more possession won their games. 

Everyone is so keen to point out that possession doesn't win games but I don't think even Russell Martin is saying that. He just believes it's a way of enhancing your chances. Everyone knows you still have to create chances and put the ball in the net

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Cat said:

We can't defend set pieces. Struggling every time one comes in the box, if they had decent delivery we'd be in real trouble.

It was an accident waiting to happen against Wednesday, but for some reason they didn't recognise that if they went long, direct and physical we only had - at best - one player on the pitch who can win a header (Bednarek).

1 minute ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

Everyone is so keen to point out that possession doesn't win games but I don't think even Russell Martin is saying that. He just believes it's a way of enhancing your chances. Everyone knows you still have to create chances and put the ball in the net

It's the reality check for the people who are keen to point out our high possession stats. Some highlight it as if it gives us a genuine match winning advantage? On Friday it counted for something - that last 10 mins or so of keep ball was impressive. Tonight it's counting for nothing so far. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, egg said:

In the championship, where we are, 6 of the 9 winning teams had more possession than their opponents.

Just now, ashnats said:

In the championship, where we are, 6 of the 9 winning teams had more possession than their opponents.

We're not playing a championship team tonight... keep ball is losing us the game. 

You're not wrong though. It was 3 wins for the possession heavy team in league 2, 4 in league 1, more in the championship. Based on last weekend, it seems to be the better the standard, the more relevance there is to possession.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we need to shift Mara back to France. Doesn't seem cut out for it at all, missing something in his game.

The plank who scouted him/signed a cheque for up to 13m Euros can go with him. Must have imbibed too much of the local Bordeaux wine to think there was a PL, scratch that, even Championship potential player in there. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic