Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread

skintsaint

Just now, Miltonaggro said:

Martin and Wilcox need to see this game as an enema. The chance to clear a long term build up of impacted shit.

Issue is how do you clear out a load of salary stealers? Some of whom we only signed in January and have given new contracts to.

1 minute ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

On this evidence a good proportion of the team AND the Manager are dogshit too. And now Martin gets a yellow card! Oh dear the wheels are starting to come off. Changing room is going to be frosty at full-time! 🤣

Alcarez pulls one back…our best player now.

Can you just fuck off continually carping on about the manager. These players have been turd no matter who has been in charge. 

• Like 9

Automatic promotion looks miles away, so many of our squad are nowhere near good enough. Possession football with a leaky defense and no cutting edge give us this💩

Edited by Baz Fl
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

To put it in context name a worse performance in last seasons shamble than that? Or a more inept tactical performance?

Grimsby home, Wolves home, Forest home, Brentford home.....I could go on.

You can change the way we play, but if you're asking awful players to implement it, then it could unravel quickly. The team that played on Friday were obviously able to pull it off in a matter of weeks, those tonight obviously cant. Further evidence that they shouldnt be anywhere near a squad pushing to return to the PL next year

• Like 3

1 minute ago, SotonianWill said:

Here’s an interesting one, when was the last time / have saints ever given out a refund for a bad result? I do agree with Bad Wolf tbh though, you pay to watch not win, you never know when you’re gonna get d*cked. 

Yeah you do watching this team, we've been getting dicked for a long time now

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baz Fl said:

Automatic promotion looks miles away, so many of our squad are nowhere near good enough. Possession football with a leaky defense and no cutting edge give us this💩

You can post that after Norwich game but not after this

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

After tonight's performance, we'll have to pay somebody to take them. Get used to it - none of these will be moving

Run a BOGOF sales drive. Liverpool want Lavia then he comes with a free teflon gloved keeper. Want JWP then he comes with a bearded nutter.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Another player we need to be keeping hold of... Charly. This match has highlighted how important our jewels are to us and how poor our squad options are. Lavia aside I really hope we can do our best to keep the rest of our jewels, though I wouldn't begrudge JWP a Premier League move. But Tella, Charly, KWP, possibly ABK and maybe Sulemana... we need to try and keep those players if we can.

We definitely need to focus on getting rid of the chaff. Question is... to who? 

• Like 1

Just now, westmidlandsaint said:

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel with this result will be Martin being able to show that some of these fringe players need shipping out and he needs to be able to bring in some fresh faces

I think he probably already knew - his mistake was picking so many of them tonight.

• Like 1

Just now, whelk said:

You can post that after Norwich game but not after this

Not even after Norwich, it's way too early. Tonight just shows how thin the squad is on quality. We changed all 11 players so it doesn't really have a bearing on momentum or the league but my god if we are relying on any of the players who started tonight in a meaningful away this season we will be miles off promotion.

It was an insult performance by a set of players who have long under performed, are in some cases taking huge wages from the club and are a mile away from even Championship standard on this showing. How we thought some of these guys could keep us in the Prem is absolutely beyond me.

• Like 2

Just now, saintant said:

On Friday our stock was rising, now it's being laughed at.

No, I don't think anybody other than ourselves is going to give the tiniest sh*t about a team of Championship reserves losing to a L2 team. We all remember the glory years of the Markus takeover, that didn't start with Rickie in the England team. Right now we're in the Paterson, Gillett, Trotman and Saganowski phase. It's going to take time.

• Like 12

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gillingham 3-1 Saints - Match Thread
Just now, westmidlandsaint said:

Hopefully the light at the end of the tunnel with this result will be Martin being able to show that some of these fringe players need shipping out and he needs to be able to bring in some fresh faces

To where, and to who ?

No one will want them.

Perhaps we can find an underused barge off the coast somewhere and stick the fuckers in there. Just hope no one notices. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, westmidlandsaint said:

Hardly like it is news we want to move on squad players. don’t see howsetting them up to lose helps attract interest.

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the fans that went, but I'm not surprised we got battered given the team. Stu, Alcaraz, Che and Amo-Ameyaw the only ones that we have seen look like 1st team quality recently.

A bunch of players that aren't good, don't fit the system, have just come back from injury or are kids making one of their first senior appearances. Its not a surprise that they are performing far worse than the 1st XI were against a much better side at the weekend.

Obviously Martin had to rotate the side as the league is the only important competition this season. This was never important and just an opportunity for depth players to get experience in the system.

Its a shame as staying in the competition would have been valuable for the youngsters. Hopefully we put out a better team for the FA Cup.

• Like 3

Shit night from the back up  , but  reckon even if we lose a couple of our better players and replace them with something decent and get a proper goal scorer in we will be top 6.... Need to sort out defending from crosses though, shocking tonight 

May I highlight how utterly doss this group of players are. Also, and this may be controversial seeing as he has been played out of position, But Charles has, as yet, only concerned me. I said he looked poor after Bournemouth and this sounds as if it was a similar showing.. as I said, however, context needed here.  

Edited by The Juice
Sometimes I type faster than I think, leading to a somewhat disorganised grammatical style which makes little sense outside of my own subjective reading. Its an all encompassing and pervasive issue.

Just now, The Juice said:

May I highlight how utterly doss this group of players are. Also, and this may be controversial seeing as he has been played out of position, By Charles has, as yet, only concerned me. I said he looked poor after Bournemouth and this sounds as if it was a similar showing.. as I said, however, context needed here.  

He's another £10m wasted. I bet we've got academy prospects at the same level.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

To where, and to who ?

No one will want them.

Perhaps we can find an underused barge off the coast somewhere and stick the fuckers in there. Just hope no one notices. 

Bertrand, Cork and Romeu were unwanted at Chelsea when we signed them. We may have to subsidise some wages to offload them but there's a home for everyone somewhere. Lyon just signed DCC and AMN and they were as bad as anyone last year.

2 minutes ago, Jimmy_D said:

Played a team of mostly reserves, played like a team of mostly reserves.

Disappointing but not the end of the world.

Out of interest do we know whether Gillingham played a full strength side? I sincerely hope they did.

So all this pointless passive possession counts for absolutely nothing if you don't have the know how, or players to turn it into goals, so what is the point of making it a key area of our tactics?  I would much rather have the lions share of the goals than the lions share of possession.  Sounded like we were at our woeful worst tonight, it's going to be a long hard season. 

• Like 1

Saints 72% possession 

14 shots and 4 on target.

RM, suggest you have this lot in at Staplewood by 08.30 in morning, spend 4 hours on shooting practice.

As for the defence, errr no idea what to suggest.

• Like 1